Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

Accelerated Reader, Lexile

What is your experience with Accelerated Reader, Lexile, or what other graded reading program does your school use?  All of the schools in our area use Accelerated Reader.  My son has a goal set for him each grading period and he has been successful in fulfilling that goal.

I am having some issues with discovering books that will engage my son.  He is obsessed with "The 39 Clues."  He read The Maze of Bones (The 39 Clues Series #1)  and took an Accelerated Reader quiz for school on it, despite the fact that the "grade level" was above his current level.  He scored very well, so his teacher agreed to allow him to read these books.  However, on One False Note (The 39 Clues Series #2)  , he scored a 40% and on The Sword Thief (The 39 Clues Series #3)  , he scored a whopping 20% and, to make matters that much worse, he lied to me about it. These books are technically in his reading level, but the vocabulary is very sophisticated. 

So, his teacher and I agreed that we should hold back The remaining 39 Clues books until summer vacation and he should read something better suited, like Magic Treehouse and Boxcar Children.  Now, he's refusing to read at all.

I'm thinking about changing my son's school through Schools of Choice in the fall, but I am afraid that the reading program may not be the better choice at this other school.  They use Houghton Mifflin as their core, but they don't subscribe to the AR program or any other of its kind.

Any suggestions for better ways to pick books or judge whether they will work for my son?  I've looked at the Lexile numbers, but it really seems like a crapshoot, there, too, especially not being in their system.

"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

Re: Accelerated Reader, Lexile

With Lexile you can plug in the books he's supposed to be reading and the 39 Clues series to get a score range - the site can suggest other books in that range.

That is a jump from Magic Treehouse to 39 Clues...has he tried the Geronimo Stilton series?  They are really popular with struggling readers.  The printers use different colors and fonts to convey the meanings of harder words, etc. (and there are about 41 books in the series right now so if he likes them he has a ways to go :smileyhappy: ).

Lost Treasure of the Emerald Eye (Geronimo Stilton Series #1) 

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

Re: Accelerated Reader, Lexile

Melissa_W wrote:

With Lexile you can plug in the books he's supposed to be reading and the 39 Clues series to get a score range - the site can suggest other books in that range.

That is a jump from Magic Treehouse to 39 Clues...has he tried the Geronimo Stilton series?  They are really popular with struggling readers.  The printers use different colors and fonts to convey the meanings of harder words, etc. (and there are about 41 books in the series right now so if he likes them he has a ways to go :smileyhappy: ).

Lost Treasure of the Emerald Eye (Geronimo Stilton Series #1) 

We got a Stilton audiobook from a fast-food chain last fall and he seemed to enjoy it, but he's really not a struggling reader, he's just bored with everything.  I took him to the library and the bookstore and all he wanted was more 39 Clues books. 

He did finish 

The Boxcar Children (The Boxcar Children Series #1)   and did very well again on the quiz.  He is excited about reading book #2.  He enjoys the books, he comprehends just fine.  He's getting burned out, is all.  His best friend doesn't read at all and only ever wants to play video games, and I'm the bad guy because I make my son read more than a few pages a night.  Victor used to stay up until 10 reading at times, now he'd rather go to sleep at 7:30 than read.

Even his teacher has let up.  He earned the gold medal as top reader in his class during "March Is Reading Month!" activities last month.  She figures he has earned a break and said he doesn't even have to complete filmboards (writing out chapter big ideas).  I'm going to "chillax" a bit and let him read if he wants to.

Thanks for the advice on Lexile.  It will be helpful to look at that numbering system - it does seem more realistic about reading level than the numbers for AR - especially over the summer, when I'm winging it without direction from the teacher.  I try to keep things pretty structured over the summer so back-to-school isn't such a shock.

"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI