Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
AlisonAKC
0 Kudos

Book Clubs

I am looking for a book club for my 8 and 10 year old sons.  Please help.

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Re: Book Clubs

AlisonAKC wrote:

Have you checked your local library?

Correspondent
cork_dork_mom

Definitely check the library. Also if your kids are in public (or private) schools talk to the school librarian and their teachers. We have a teacher in one of the elementary schools start a book club for her second graders and they met in the public library. If they don't have a book club, maybe you could help start one.

You can get some great book recommendations from ala.org. They have a number of recommended reading lists for kids of all ages.

Good luck!

cork_dork_mom
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

AlisonAKC wrote:

Hi, Alison.  I'm not aware of an online club for that age group.  I know we have a teen book club here at BN.com, but not a club really tuned to that age.  Having said that, this club right here could certainly be a place where boys that age could strike up a discussion of a book at any time.  You are most welcome to start a thread doing that.  Members can start their own threads at any time on most all of the BN.com Book Clubs.

The suggestion about the library is a good one.  If your own library doesn't have one, a branch not too far away might.  I know some smaller libraries might not (or might) and bigger libraries might (or not).  You might try asking at your closest library.  If they don't have one, they may know about a library not too far away that is having one.

You might also ask your sons' teachers.  I know some schools (high schools, now that I think of it) run book clubs online through their school libraries for students of the school.  They might have something like that going, or the teachers might know of another venue.

You could also ask at your local Barnes & Noble store or another bookstore in town.  Sometimes the stores host discussions of certain popular books for a limited time--like WIMPY KIDS, for example--when a new release comes out.

Good luck!  I hope you'll let us know what you find out!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]