Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
love4books

Books About History

After helping out with one of the bookfairs at a local school I wanted to share with you a couple of interesting books pertaining to history.  My daughter happens to really like learning about the Underground Railroad.  I am not sure what sparked that interest in her but she has really had an interest in it since she was pretty young.  While at the bookfair I noticed a book that was a choose your own path book about the Underground Railroad.  As I looked at this book I realized it was much different than the normal choose your own path books as this one had actual photos of hiding places and ways of transporting slaves in it.  Upon further inspection of the book it said that the paths to choose from actually happened.  The National Underground Railroad Freedom Center in Ohio even reviewed the book and was given a special note inside the cover.

My daughter wasn't too sure about the book as she has never read a choose your own path adventure however I bought it and she has LOVED taking the different adventures within it (the first time she drowned in the Ohio River).  After she decided she really liked this I thought that it was a wonderful way for children to take an interest in learning about history.  I was pleasantly surprised upon doing some online surfing that there are many different titles of choose your own path history books just like this one.  My daughter has been begging for the Titanic one and Dustbowl one since this past weekend! 

For some reason my add a product link didn't want to work this morning so I will just post the title here.

The Underground Railroad:An Interactive History Adventure  by Allison Lassieur.  I also forgot to mention that in the back of the book there is a glossary, timeline, additional facts and an internet linked site for children to go to do activities (we haven't done that as of yet).

love4books

Contributor
pooja84
0 Kudos

Re: Books About History

thanks for your suggestions

Frequent Contributor
love4books
0 Kudos

I had wanted to post another book/author that I found at the bookfair however I have been having internet server issues today and couldn't get back on until now.  I found a book called The Great Fire by Jim Murphy that sounds very interesting also.  Upon further searching I found that Jim Murphy writes about many historical events and by the reviews many readers are really enjoying his works! 

I know that I am seriously considering this book for my 10 year old as I was shocked to learn that she has never heard of The Great Fire of Chicago and the O'Learys!  Another one of his books is called Truce and is about World War I.  Many interesting facts including the fact that both sides defied orders and celebrated Christmas with the enemy. 

If any of you have read these I would love to hear your take on them.  I know they sound like they would be great for children (around the middleschool age and up) to read.

love4books

Inspired Wordsmith
harleyhoney
0 Kudos

Thank you, love4books.  This sounds great.  I think choose your own path books would be a great way to teach children about history.  I'm going to be on the lookout for those books.

Nancy

"Somebody said they saw me swinging the world by the tail, bouncing over a white cloud, killing the blues."
Killing the Blues by Rowland Salley
Performed by Robert Plant and Alison Kraus on RAISING SAND
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Could someone tell me what age group the You Choose adventure books are aimed at?  My grandson is a well read British 10 year old and there are a couple of titles which might suit him.     

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Choisya wrote:

Could someone tell me what age group the You Choose adventure books are aimed at?  My grandson is a well read British 10 year old and there are a couple of titles which might suit him.     

That depends. Several CYOA book series out there. Though the ones aimed at teens and twees are listed on the cover.

But Yeah for most, they sound right up his alley.

Frequent Contributor
love4books
0 Kudos

The particular history choose your own path books that I have mentioned are listed for ages 9-12 year olds.  My daughter is 10 and is enjoying the Underground Railroad.  I have read one path so far and there was nothing inappropriate in the path that I picked. 

For my first pick I chose to be a slave and managed to get to freedom.  My slave owner was Brutus Clay (the largest slave owner in Kentucky - the book had a photograph of him in it).  Reverend John Rankin helped my father and I to freedom.  The book had a photo of the Reverend's stair steps that were 100 steps up from a wooded area to his house. 

The book has 3 story paths, 37 choices and 16 endings.  A total of 112 pages including the index, glossary and a brief recap on how slavery ended.  There are famous names in the index such as Harriet Tubman, Levi Coffin, Abraham Lincoln, Reverend John Rankin and John Parker (along with a few more). 

My daughter has gone to school and has shared this book with her friends.  She has told me the worst thing that has happened to her (besides drowning in the Ohio River the first time) is that she did receive 5 lashings (which she did say that is all the book said). 

I hope this helps.  I am sure over the next couple of months my daughter will be getting some more of these types of books since Christmas is right around the corner.  The Dust Bowl and Titanic are at the top of her list.  She knows quite a bit about the Titanic and has a couple of books already about it.  As for the Dust Bowl...the only thing she knows is what she hears off the history or science channel and would like to know more about it.  I'll have to look into other titles they may offer.

love4books

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

love4books wrote:

After helping out with one of the bookfairs at a local school I wanted to share with you a couple of interesting books pertaining to history.  My daughter happens to really like learning about the Underground Railroad.  I am not sure what sparked that interest in her but she has really had an interest in it since she was pretty young.  While at the bookfair I noticed a book that was a choose your own path book about the Underground Railroad.  As I looked at this book I realized it was much different than the normal choose your own path books as this one had actual photos of hiding places and ways of transporting slaves in it.  Upon further inspection of the book it said that the paths to choose from actually happened.  The National Underground Railroad Freedom Center in Ohio even reviewed the book and was given a special note inside the cover.

My daughter wasn't too sure about the book as she has never read a choose your own path adventure however I bought it and she has LOVED taking the different adventures within it (the first time she drowned in the Ohio River).  After she decided she really liked this I thought that it was a wonderful way for children to take an interest in learning about history.  I was pleasantly surprised upon doing some online surfing that there are many different titles of choose your own path history books just like this one.  My daughter has been begging for the Titanic one and Dustbowl one since this past weekend! 

For some reason my add a product link didn't want to work this morning so I will just post the title here.

The Underground Railroad:An Interactive History Adventure  by Allison Lassieur.  I also forgot to mention that in the back of the book there is a glossary, timeline, additional facts and an internet linked site for children to go to do activities (we haven't done that as of yet).

love4books

This sounds super, love4.  I've heard that the "Add Product" feature is malfunctioning as well (and is for me, too, Monday morning), so I'll try to link it here now to make it easier for those interested to find:

The Underground Railroad:  An Interactive History Adventure.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

love4books wrote:

I had wanted to post another book/author that I found at the bookfair however I have been having internet server issues today and couldn't get back on until now.  I found a book called The Great Fire by Jim Murphy that sounds very interesting also.  Upon further searching I found that Jim Murphy writes about many historical events and by the reviews many readers are really enjoying his works! 

I know that I am seriously considering this book for my 10 year old as I was shocked to learn that she has never heard of The Great Fire of Chicago and the O'Learys!  Another one of his books is called Truce and is about World War I.  Many interesting facts including the fact that both sides defied orders and celebrated Christmas with the enemy. 

If any of you have read these I would love to hear your take on them.  I know they sound like they would be great for children (around the middleschool age and up) to read.

love4books

The Great Fire is a Newbery Honor book award winner, too, love4.  I love history books for kids--so many interesting topics. 

Let's keep adding to this list!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
love4books
0 Kudos

Thanks Connie for adding those links!  I hope the Add Product link will be fixed soon...it is a very nice feature to have. 

love4books

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

love4books wrote:

Thanks Connie for adding those links!  I hope the Add Product link will be fixed soon...it is a very nice feature to have. 

love4books

You're welcome, love4.  I agree--I miss the "Add Product" feature when it's malfunctioning, though I do see that's it's working today!  Yay! 

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Complete Tales of Uncle Remus

Not sure about this particular edition, but mine was a flip version the other side being Remus slave tales.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

Not sure about this particular edition, but mine was a flip version the other side being Remus slave tales.

Tigger--isn't this fiction?

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

ConnieK wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

Tigger--isn't this fiction?

The first side of mine was the fictional folk tales of the Brer series. The flip was his accountings of oral slave history as well as his personal experiances.

Contributor
bigjackJS
0 Kudos

That was most interesting.

One of my novels- The Sand Clocker (Spanish Armada Stowaway) that is now out of print was well recived by girls. It was about two teenage cousins who stow away on an armada ship and sail to Ireland where they are shipwrecked. I am still trying to get it republished.

If your daughter is interested I can email a copy of the story (Recently updated) as a wee Christmas present.

All the best.

Jack