Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

BN Editor
MattW
0 Kudos

Bridge to Terabithia: The Book vs. the Movie

If you've read the book and seen the movie, please share your thoughts on what you thought of the film versus the book. Did it make a good film? What did/didn't the movie do well?
Matt
Teens Editor, B&N.com
Frequent Contributor
BnBookworm
0 Kudos

Re: Bridge to Terabithia: The Book vs. the Movie

The movie was better than the book because it focused more on the adventures in Terabithia, while the book dealt with the "loss" part more.
Ninety percent of who you are is invisible
Imagination...is a form of seeing
BN Editor
MattW
0 Kudos

I rented the movie this past July 4th, and I thought it was pretty good. It definitely focused more on the imagination part of the story, which I enjoyed, and I was interested to see how they tweaked little bits of the plot. Also, I watched the DVD extras, which included a fantastic look at the book - I appreciated that.
Matt
Teens Editor, B&N.com
New User
ericaejw968
0 Kudos

I teach 7th grade and my students read the book in class. After we finished the book, we were able to go to the theaters and compare the book to the movie. My students thought the Terabithia scenes were good but they did more commenting on how they liked the way the actors played the characters perfectly. They did do a little bit of complaining about the added scenes. :-)
Contributor
bookworm48837
0 Kudos

I feel that the book was better than the movie, only because I think the book had more details and finer qualities. So I really think the book was better than the movie.
~bookworm48837~
Frequent Contributor
valeriefrankel
0 Kudos

I am DELIGHTED that Disney didn't sugar up the movie and change the ending. I loved the CGI of the movie, but I remember the book fondly too. I might vote for the movie, just cuz it'll reach more kids and encourage them to read the books.
Valerie Frankel
Author of Henry Potty and the Pet Rock:
An Unauthorized Harry Potter Parody
www.HarryPotterParody.com
BN Editor
MattW
0 Kudos

valeriefrankel wrote:
I am DELIGHTED that Disney didn't sugar up the movie and change the ending. I loved the CGI of the movie, but I remember the book fondly too. I might vote for the movie, just cuz it'll reach more kids and encourage them to read the books.

I'm glad Disney didn't sugar up the movie, too - I enjoyed the movie very much, but I would think people should read the book so they can compare for themselves.
Matt
Teens Editor, B&N.com
Frequent Contributor
coreen222
0 Kudos

I just finished watching the movie--FINALLY. And I loved it. I usually like books better than the movies, but I think I actually liked the movie better. It stayed very true to the book, but seemed to tie things together much better than I felt the book did. Terabithia didn't seem to be such a driving force in the book, there wasn't much detail about the world, and not much time spent there. The movie made some very nice parallells between the terabithia and reality, which I think is very difficult to do in a book, film makes it much easier. I also think that the Janice situation was handled better.
Frequent Contributor
HarleyLBennett

I think the book is the best children's book ever written.
What I liked about the movie was that even though the fantasy part was greatly enhanced and scenes from the book were omitted, the story did not change! The movie told the same story as the book.
The characters were the same in the movie as in the book. They were portrayed with the same personalities in the movie that they had in the book.
Both are great.
New User
rhiannon_cairns
0 Kudos

i loved both book and movie but i reckon that the book is much better because the book makes you imagine the things that Leslie and Jess imagine.:smileywink:

New User
ballet4ever
0 Kudos

I know this goes against what everyone else is saying but i would have to disagree and say the book was quite better because a book can paint pictures in your head and it can be your own world. A movie has its advantages too but it seems to only show one possible world whereas mine might be totally different which, in my opinion, is devoid from the theme of endless imagination that the author is going for. But the movie was good too.