Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
la4bama
0 Kudos

Children Books List

Hi everyone! I'm a college student, majoring in elementary education. This fall I have to take a children's literature course. I thought I would get a jumpstart and go ahead and start reading some of these books that might be required for the class. I was going to make a list and was wondering if anyone could help me think of some really great stories. Thanks so much! :smileyhappy:
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Re: Children Books List

la4bama wrote:
Hi everyone! I'm a college student, majoring in elementary education. This fall I have to take a children's literature course. I thought I would get a jumpstart and go ahead and start reading some of these books that might be required for the class. I was going to make a list and was wondering if anyone could help me think of some really great stories. Thanks so much! :smileyhappy:

There are so many it's hard to guess what books the professor might include. Can you get the reading list from previous years' classes?
0 Kudos

la4bama wrote:

Start with A.A. Milnes' two Winnie the Pooh books and his two books of poetry. Then read "The Wind in the Willows." Then "The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe." And then just keep on going.
"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

It proably wouldn't hurt to read some of the Little House on The Praie series and some of the Nancy Drew and Hardy Books. For Poetry I would suggest Jane Yolen or Sly Silverston.

Toni
Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Do you know Babette Cole's rather unusual books - my grandchildren love them and my daughters approve of them because they are also non-sexist and non-racist.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbbc/art/artyfacts/babette/index.shtml

la4bama wrote:

BN Editor
MattW
0 Kudos

la4bama wrote:

Hi!

For sure you might want to check out some of the Newbery Medal and Honor-winning books, like this year's The Higher Power of Lucky, along with some of the classics, like The Sign of the Beaver, Bridge to Terabithia, From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, and Number the Stars.

Some of the other folks here have mentioned some greats, too, like the Little House on the Prairie books and Shel Silverstein's poetry.
Matt
Teens Editor, B&N.com
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Nelsmom wrote:
For Poetry I would suggest Jane Yolen or Sly Silverston.

And while you're thinking children's poetry, don't overlook Stevenson A Child's Garden of Verses, Milne When We Were Very Young and Now We Are Six, and Belloc's Cautionary Verses. And Poems Every Child Should Know, while an older volume and only really available from second hand sources, is a very nice collection of poems for children of a range of ages.
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
In addition to all the wonderful suggestions already made, I'd like to recommend:

• Scott O'Dell's Island of the Blue Dolphins

• Caddie Woodlawn by Carol Ryrie Brink

• Esther Forbes' Johnny Tremain

• The Witch of Blackbird Pond byt Elizabeth George Speare

• William H. Armstrong's Sounder

• The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin

• Dear Mr. Henshaw by Beverly Clearly

• Lucy Maud Montgomery's Anne of Green Gables series

• Patricia MacLachlan's Sarah, Plain and Tall
  • Message Edited by LizzieAnn on 05-29-200701:27 PM

Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
    Distinguished Wordsmith
    Everyman
    0 Kudos

LizzieAnn wrote:
    In addition to all the wonderful suggestions already made, I'd like to recommend:

Great list, Liz. I especially agree with The Witch of Blackbird Pond.

Also, Elfrida Vipont (later writing as Elfrida Vipont Foulds) wrote some wonderful books that are mostly out of print but readily available over the internet.

Also, while we're adding recommendations, three I can't recommend highly enough:

City of Bells and The Dean's Watch, both by Elizabeth Goudge. City of Bells is particularly wonderful. Fantastic, fantastic book.

Dealing with Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede was delightful. The other books in the series were fine, but not in my opinion up to the quality of Dealing.

While I like the Nancy Drew series, Enid Blyton's books, and others for their adventurous content, overall as a child I preferred books in which I could relate to the children involved, and could realistically imagine the things that happened to the children actually happening to me. (Does child really believe that they could experience the things that Nancy Drew went through?) That's why I love Arthur Ransome and Elizabeth Goudge.
    0 Kudos

I'd like to put in a plug for the wonderful Moomintroll books by Tove Jansson. Jansson was Finnish, and wrote timeless, funny, hard-to-categorize stories that mixed adventure, fairy-tale atmosphere, domestic comedy, and a deep soulfulness. I read these many times as a child.

The best part is that the series "grows up" with you. Books like Finn Family Moomintroll or Moominsummer Madness are pitched at a level just about right for middle-grade readers. But the later books in the series, particularly Moominvalley in November and Moominpappa at Sea, have greater psychological depth, and deal (lightly) with issues of feeling alienated, different, and lonely that speak to pre-adolescent and adolescent kids.

Did anyone else here read these books?

la4bama wrote:

See the latest news about book clubs in the Book Clubs Blog.
    becke_davis
    0 Kudos

Are you looking for a specific age group or type of children's books? Currently in print or classics, possibly out of print?
    becke_davis
    0 Kudos

My mom likes some books she remembers from her childhood -- I don't know if they are Swedish, Finnish or whatever. They are series of books about three boys called Snipp, Snap and Snurr and three girls called Flicka, Ricka and Dicka. I was surprised to see that they are still available.
    becke_davis
    0 Kudos

All of the above, plus Across Five Aprils, Freckles and Girl of the Limberlost (even though they are old), Little Women (the movie doesn't count), The Wolves of Willoughby Chase, and A Wrinkle in Time.
    Frequent Contributor
    johanna49
    0 Kudos

I would also recommend
    Tales of Fourth Grade Nothing by Judy Blume and the other books with the Hatcher
    Family. Also Beverly Cleary is an excellent author with her Ramona and The Mouse and the Motorcycle series. Of Course, Charlotte's Web.
    For picture books for second grade Patricia Polacco is a great author and illustrator.
    Preschool -1st grade Kevin Henkes.
    Trinka Hakes Noble- Jimmy's Boa series
    Don Freeman.
    I am an elementary school librarian for preschool-4th grade.
    BN Editor
    Bill_T
    0 Kudos

I just read The Wolves of Willoughby Chase for the first time. Great book (not for a really little kid, of course. The wolves are scary!).

becke_davis wrote:
    All of the above, plus Across Five Aprils, Freckles and Girl of the Limberlost (even though they are old), Little Women (the movie doesn't count), The Wolves of Willoughby Chase, and A Wrinkle in Time.

becke_davis
    0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
    Wasn't Wolves of Willoughby Chase written by Joan Aiken? I seem to remember it was. She writes great adult mysteries, which can also be very intense and scary.

Message Edited by becke_davis on 06-01-200704:59 PM

Contributor
    Ktrink
    0 Kudos

I would recommend checking with your local library and get lists of summer reading for the different elementary levels. They should list classics as well as the favorites kids are reading. You local school district should be able to give you similar lists. Good luck in school. It seems like you really care about being a good teacher and we need those!! :smileyhappy: Kathy
    Patience the Best is yet to come.
    Contributor
    la4bama
    0 Kudos

Thank you all so much! I had forgotten about a lot of those books that ya'll have mention. I can't wait to run to the library and start reading...Thanks so much! :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy:
    New User
    bibliophilic-mom
    0 Kudos

Getting ahead on your reading is a great idea, and people have made wonderful suggestions for books that all elementary teachers should be familiar with. But if you are really interested in preparing for class next year, you should contact the book stores at your university and ask for the course book list. I teach at a very large university in the College of Ed. I know our lit people can choose very obscure books to read. The books you will read are usually at the whim of the professor teaching. Different professors have different reasons for choosing books. Enjoy!