Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Correspondent
Permacav50
0 Kudos

Choose your Own Adventure Books

Does anyone else remember these from a long time ago? There were quite a few other publishers that did their own variations of them as well. Which Way Books, Star Challenge, and a few others i can't recall right now. I loved these as a kid but seems like most people these days find them too graphic for children.

Some of them can be pretty brutal I guess, the Which Way books had a lot of titles where the main character died in ways straight out of horror flicks. Still if your looking for some interesting books for your kids these might be right up your alley you can usually find them cheap online. Just dont send me hate mail if your buy them and you kids start having nightmares or something. :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Re: Choose your Own Adventure Books

I loved them. Spent hours rereading, rechosing. The best one's were the one's where the right choice didn't happen early in. As they became more common, though one wrong turn and boom you were dead. I remeber a few rare one's where no matter the choice none were exactly wrong. Those were the best, they allowed you to find new ways around a problem. Good books I read to pieces.
Correspondent
JennGrrl

Thanks for this post!  I was never a huge fan, though I did read a few, but my children LOVE these books.  I had a few that I found in storage, and the kids picked up a few at a free garage sale at a church, and they argue over who gets to read which ones.  Some are a little bit graphic, I guess, but I haven't seen anything too extreme. 
Correspondent
Permacav50
0 Kudos

Just ran across a few of the Star Challenge books earlier today as well. This was a Sci-Fi choose your own adventure series that ran for something like 11 books with the same characters. What made them a bit more interesting was that the different endings in the books had several different ratings.

If you made bad choices that led to your death or something else bunk you just got zapped and that was the end of it. But if you successfully completed your mission you had 5 different ranks you could earn running from space ace to heading back to the space academy. My first try through the book after a 20 year gap was asteroid patrol which isnt stellar but beats going back to school. There isnt anything in life thats as good as we want it to be I guess. :smileyhappy:

B&N Bookseller
melissas

Not only do I remember them, but I collect them! This was one of the most amazing kids' book concepts EVER! I only have about 40 of them. Even though they seem to be readily available, I frequently come across duplicates. Strangely, I have the best luck with them in random thrift shops. However, I have yet to be able to determine the final number of books in the series, but I know it's at least 170 (that's the highest number I think I have). I just don't know what I got myself into when I pledged to collect a whole set!
Correspondent
Permacav50

melissas wrote:
Strangely, I have the best luck with them in random thrift shops.!

Really? I usually do check for these in secondhand stores but I rarely came across one and when I asked the clerks about them no one ever heard of them. Sadly most books in general I've seen in thrift shops looked like they were stored in a basement that got flooded which may not be far from the truth.

Some of the books in the series have been reprinted but I guess contract negotiations fell through with the illustrator because the artwork is different and it doesnt look good at all. So far it's only been choose your own adventure not Which Way books or star challenge. :smileyhappy:

Fortunately I did find copies of most of my old favorites. The mystery of chimney rock, the invasion of the black slime, the cave of time and creatures of the dark. Supercomputer and atlantis were some others I havent been able to find plus many others I cant recall right now. :smileyhappy:   

B&N Bookseller
melissas
0 Kudos

I have a few of those same titles, but I couldn't begin to tell you which my favorite is...too many to choose from. One thing I did not know about this series, though, until I began my quest (in 2001) to collect ALL of them is that there is another series also put out by Bantam called Choose Your Own Nightmare. Plus they have Super Editions and books for younger readers. Not to mention they were pushing those books out all through the late 1990s, so I don't know what I got myself into because now I need them ALL! Another place I have good luck finding them: library used book sales. If you are lucky enough to find one, there are typically more. My goal is to find them all in shops, libraries, and flea markets in person, but at this rate I think I may end up having to buy them online. :smileysad:

I feel like that's cheating.

Correspondent
Permacav50
0 Kudos

Hmm, I never heard of the Choose Your Own Nightmare series either. Thanks for the info though I'll have to keep an eye out for them.

Yeah ordering books online is kind of a drag. You don't know what exactly your getting plus you can end up spending a few hundred bucks on books in just a few hours. It can be addictive if you start finding sellers that have books you've been hunting for ages.  :smileyhappy:

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Permacav50 wrote:

Hmm, I never heard of the Choose Your Own Nightmare series either. Thanks for the info though I'll have to keep an eye out for them.

Yeah ordering books online is kind of a drag. You don't know what exactly your getting plus you can end up spending a few hundred bucks on books in just a few hours. It can be addictive if you start finding sellers that have books you've been hunting for ages.  :smileyhappy:

Addictive, yes!  :smileywink: 

I searched for "Choose Your Own Adventure" and see a couple of sub-series within those, "Dragonlarks" and "Destiny"?  I'll put a couple of them here.  I don't know if they might be anything like what you're looking for....?

Lost Jewels of Nabooti (Choose Your Own Adventure Series #4) 

Haunted House (Choose Your Own Adventure Dragonlarks Series)  

What If . . . All Your Friends Turned on You (Choose Your Destiny Series)   

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
B&N Bookseller
melissas
0 Kudos

Thanks, Connie! The Dragonlarks are the ones for younger kids, but the new ones don't resemble any of the older ones that I have. In fact, I didn't know they were still called Dragonlarks.

If I remember correctly, those Choose your Destiny books are like teen drama CYOA for the high-school set. I've never read one, but I suppose it couldn't hurt! Especially considering Teen is my favorite genre. Thanks for bringing that to light. :smileyhappy:

Correspondent
Permacav50
0 Kudos

My oh my so many adventures to choose from. I can see why a collector of these books would have struggles ahead with locating them. Kudos to you Melissa. :smileyhappy: