Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
TEACHeryl
0 Kudos

FL Sunshine State Young Reader Awards

I need some help here. Amazon has a feature called Listmania! that lists these books with a button at the bottom of the list to click and purchase...simple. Does B&N have a feature like this that any of you know about, or even the new book list? I have a printout of them, but if they were on here it would make my job to order them much easier. If not, is there a way for me to list them for the next teachers to access?

Also, have any of you read books from the 3-5 grade list? Titles include Whittington, Worth, A House of Tailors, Cabin on Trouble Creek. Ring a bell?

Any kind of feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

Re: FL Sunshine State Young Reader Awards

The BN list of Sunshine Awards is here .

To get to lists of awards, click on "B&N Jr." at the top, then scroll down until you see a button (Wilbur the Pig) for "Noteworthy Children's Books" - click on "More Award Winners" in the left toolbar, then scroll down and click on "More Awards". The next page will have a listing of all available awards lists on the left.
Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
New User
TEACHeryl
0 Kudos

Thank you, Melissa.
I found that, but it wasn't a current list of the awards, apparently just the bestselling that can be listed by price, pub. date, or alphabetically. It was asking a lot. I can enter all 15 of them individually. *sigh
You might be helping a lot of Florida folks out if the books here http://myssyra.org/grades3_5/pdfs/0708_List3-5.pdf
and
http://myssyra.org/grades6_8/pdfs/0708List6-8.pdf could get posted on B&N.

At any rate, thanks again for your help.

If all of you out there have read any of these books, please let me know what you think so I can pass it on to the kids when school begins. I hope to get them all read by then!

Cheryl
BN Editor
MattW
0 Kudos

TEACHeryl wrote:
Thank you, Melissa.
I found that, but it wasn't a current list of the awards, apparently just the bestselling that can be listed by price, pub. date, or alphabetically. It was asking a lot. I can enter all 15 of them individually. *sigh
You might be helping a lot of Florida folks out if the books here http://myssyra.org/grades3_5/pdfs/0708_List3-5.pdf
and
http://myssyra.org/grades6_8/pdfs/0708List6-8.pdf could get posted on B&N.

At any rate, thanks again for your help.

If all of you out there have read any of these books, please let me know what you think so I can pass it on to the kids when school begins. I hope to get them all read by then!

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl,

Thanks for your comment, and I'll pass your links along to the proper folks so that this year's Florida Sunshine State books can get added to the list. Currently we don't have all of the past Florida Sunshine State books categorized, but it's in the works!
Matt
Teens Editor, B&N.com
Frequent Contributor
coreen222
0 Kudos

TEACHeryl wrote:
I need some help here. Amazon has a feature called Listmania! that lists these books with a button at the bottom of the list to click and purchase...simple. Does B&N have a feature like this that any of you know about, or even the new book list? I have a printout of them, but if they were on here it would make my job to order them much easier. If not, is there a way for me to list them for the next teachers to access?

Also, have any of you read books from the 3-5 grade list? Titles include Whittington, Worth, A House of Tailors, Cabin on Trouble Creek. Ring a bell?

Any kind of feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I read "The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane" and I loved it. Kate DiCamillo is such a great writer and there is a lot to talk about in her seemingly simple stories. There are so many levels to her stories. I read it out loud to my kids (they were 3 and 4 at the time) and they enjoyed it as the illustrations are fabulous and the story was simple enough for them to follow, even if they were not yet able to grasp the full meaning of the story. I think that girls the grade 3-4 age group would enjoy it, I'm not so sure about boys as it is about a toy rabbit that gets separated from his girl. But even though the subject seems a bit young for this age, the content can be thought provoking and challenging.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

This is a WONDERFUL book. I bought it for my daughter, who is an adult but she loves children's books. She liked it so much, she asked me to read it, too, and I'm so glad I did. It was the illustrations that drew me to it initially, but the story is great, too.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Oops, I forgot to quote the post -- I was talking about Edward Tulane in the previous post.
New User
TEACHeryl
0 Kudos

Thanks to all of you who took the time to post a comment! I'm looking forward to reading it. Hopefully, I can share with you which of the others are good reads as well.
Cheryl