Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Halloween Books!

[ Edited ]

Hi, all!

What Halloween books are your favorites to read this time of year?  Let's hear from parents, young readers, teachers, librarians--anyone at all!  Is there a cute book or a creepy scary book that your family or students love to hear over and over again in this season?  Here's a link to remind you of thousands of Halloween titles.  Which of these have you read and enjoyed?  Are there others?

~ConnieK

Message Edited by ConnieK on 10-19-2008 09:05 AM
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Re: Halloween Books!

[ Edited ]

Here's one.  I remember my (older?) classes in library enjoying The Widow's Broom by Chris Van Allsburg.  Such a good artist.

And the children, I remember, recommended to me to read this book to the class: The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything by Linda Williams, illustrated by Megan Lloyd.  A charmer!

~ConnieK

Message Edited by ConnieK on 10-19-2008 09:22 AM
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Contributor
Phebemarie
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I would recommend Something Wicked This Way Comes.  Currently, I'm reading it again with my sophomores.  It definitely brings the creepy for the Halloween season (and Bradbury set it in October, too).  It's appropriate for high school age students.

Message Edited by Phebemarie on 10-19-2008 12:28 PM
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

When I was a child, I remember loving the stories about Georgie the ghost, by Robert Bright.  He was a good little ghost, but very shy.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
New User
PrincessKasey09
0 Kudos

I don't remember any from childhood but I have a few I read to my boys!

They enjoy Spookly The Square Pumpkin, Happy Halloween Little Critter and T-Rex Trick or Treats :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
HarleyLBennett
0 Kudos

THe Best Halloween Ever by Barbara Robinson is a must read!
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

It's been another year since the this thread was begun at Halloween time last year.  What are your favorite Halloween books, DVDs, etc.?  Any the children in your life particularly like?

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Inspired Wordsmith
harleyhoney
0 Kudos

Oh dear, ConnieK.  But you did ask.  I'll just do a few.

ABCs of Halloween

This was last year's book for the oldest granddaughter.

Cheerios Halloween Play Book

These Cheerios' books are so much fun for toddlers.  You put the Cheerios in place and they

pick them up and eat them.  But by age 3, they are willing to put them in place first before snacking. LOL

Corduroy's Trick-or-Treat  

The first Halloween book I bought as a new grandma.

Corduroy's Best Halloween Ever! 

This is a cute one.

Arthur's Halloween (Arthur Adventures Series)  

And who doesn't love Arthur!

Nancy

"Somebody said they saw me swinging the world by the tail, bouncing over a white cloud, killing the blues."
Killing the Blues by Rowland Salley
Performed by Robert Plant and Alison Kraus on RAISING SAND
Correspondent
Permacav50
0 Kudos

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark

This was brought up in the banned books thread but one of the greatest halloween books I can recall while growing up. Nothing like several horror stories to read on halloween night by candlelight. 

That Terrible Halloween Night  since the product feature doesnt include a picture I can't be 100% this is correct but i'm pretty sure it is. Childrens book told from a grandfather point of view, great read,

Halloween Encyclopedia    man oh man is this a great book, has every possible thing you could imagine that contributed to the modern celebration of halloween. Much more to it than an invention by the candy companies. :smileyhappy:

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Thanks for these suggestions for our members--keep 'em comin'--we still have 2 weeks!  :smileyhappy:

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Inspired Wordsmith
harleyhoney
0 Kudos

Here's a few more we like.

Halloween Treats (a Touch-and-Feel Book) 

Sweet babies in costume

The Biggest Pumpkin Ever (John Deere Series) 

This one was for our grandson

Halloween Kittens 

Mouse's First Halloween 

Nancy

"Somebody said they saw me swinging the world by the tail, bouncing over a white cloud, killing the blues."
Inspired Wordsmith
harleyhoney
0 Kudos

I just can't help myself when it comes to Halloween!  Yesterday we purchased these for the grandkids.

Berenstain Bears Go on a Ghostwalk (Berenstain Bears Series) 

for oldest granddaughter - she loves the bears

Plumply, Dumply Pumpkin 

for youngest granddaughter

Danny Dozer and the Haunted House

for youngest grandson

Thomas and Friends 

for oldest grandson - he loves Thomas and trains in general

Nancy  

Inspired Wordsmith
harleyhoney
0 Kudos

And since I'm the biggest kid of all when it comes to Halloween, I bought these for myself.

Queen of Halloween (Ann Estelle Series) 

Love Mary!

Martha Stewart Living Halloween Special

I get Martha's Halloween special each year.  Lots of great ideas!

Also:  Halloween Tricks & Treats   (Better Homes and Gardens Special)

Also:  Taste of Home Halloween Party Favorites

Nancy

Frequent Contributor
PamelaKKinneyPK
0 Kudos

Something Wicked This way Comes and The Halloween Tree by Ray Bradbury. I also first read The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson when I was in 8th grade. Her "The Lottery" short story is a good story to read--I had to for English in high school.

Also nonfiction ghost books are good for kids to read as much as adults.I discovered that my two nonficiton ghst books, Haunted Richmond, Virginia and Haunted Virginia: Legends, Myths and True Tales are bought at my signings and by schools for their libraries as much as by adults. I read ghost books like this as like most kids i liked ghost stories. if I learned history too, if in the book, well, that's a bonus.

Pamela K. Kinney
http://FantasticDreams.50megs.com
http://www.myspace.com/PamelaKKinney
http://PamelaKKinney.blogspot.com

Be prepared to take a journey into Pamela K. Kinney's fantastic dreams of horror, science fiction and fantasy, plus the ghosts and legends of two nonfiction ghost books,  Haunted Richmond, Virginia and Haunted Virginia: Legends, Myths and True Tales.

Watch Haunted Richmond Virginia book video on http://www.blazingtrailers.com/show.php?title=268

Pamela K. Kinney is an author of published horror, science fiction, fantasy, horror, poetry, and the nonfiction book, Haunted Richmond, Virginia, published by Schiffer Publishing, along with Haunted Virginia: Legends, Myths and True Tales coming fall 2009 from Schiffer Publishing, too. Using the pseudonym, Sapphire Phelan, she has published erotic and sweet paranormal/fantasy/science fiction romance, along with poetry and couple of erotic horror stories, one, a Lovecraftian novella, Unwitting Sacrifice, published by Under the Moon, now available. She also has done acting on stage and in films, plus is a costumer. Find out more about her at: http://FantasticDreams.50megs.com or at either of her MySpaces: http://www.myspace.com/PamelaKKinney and http://www.myspace.com/SapphirePhelan.