Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

BN Editor
MattW
0 Kudos

Harry Potter and Reading

Hi all-

Yesterday an article appeared in The New York Times about the Harry Potter books and their effect on kids' reading. You can read it here. What do you think? Have the Harry Potter books instilled a love for reading in your home? Have kids kept reading as they've gotten older because they were inspired by Harry Potter?
Matt
Teens Editor, B&N.com
Frequent Contributor
coreen222
0 Kudos

Re: Harry Potter and Reading

MattW wrote:
Hi all-

Yesterday an article appeared in The New York Times about the Harry Potter books and their effect on kids' reading. You can read it here. What do you think? Have the Harry Potter books instilled a love for reading in your home? Have kids kept reading as they've gotten older because they were inspired by Harry Potter?

While my children are still to young for me to comment on if the books have impacted their love for reading. However, what they did do was bring adults and children in my family all together in literary discussion. Before these books women in my family would talk about books like The Red Tent, Julia Alverez books, and Sue Monk Kidd and the like. Men and women would talk about some political book. My young cousins would have their own reccomendations (which I eagerly made note of, being someone who always loved children's lit), but now we all are talking about the same books. It is a nice crossover, and I think in that way it might make a difference in how younger children think of reading--as a pleasurable activity rather than a chore.

One thing that the article touched on is how reading for pleasure drops off in the teen years. I am not sure that this is necessarily a bad thing--and probably developmentally appropriate as socialization is a very imporant part of this time of life--and reading a novel isn't a highly social behavior, unless you belong to a book discussion group. I know that I was a huge reader when I was a child, but around highschool I was less likely to pick up a novel. I would still read during the summer--but far less than when I was a kid. If I were at the beach with friends I was more likely to bring a magazine than a novel. But, what I new was how much I enjoyed reading as a kid, and it was something that was easy to get back into as I grew up. It also helped me to read required novels without dread (like I noticed many of my non-reading peers felt). I don't think that we need to be as concerned at the reading drop-off as many seem to be.

I found this comment interesting:
Some reading experts say that urging kids to read fiction in general might be a misplaced goal. “If you look at what most people need to read for their occupation, it’s zero narrative,” said Michael L. Kamil, a professor of education at Stanford University. “I don’t want to deny that you should be reading stories and literature. But we’ve overemphasized it,” he said. Instead, children need to learn to read for information, Mr. Kamil said, something they can practice while reading on the Internet, for example.

I kind of agree with it ,although I really enjoy reading literature, and I hope that my kids will, as well.
New User
pearlgrl2010
0 Kudos

harry potter and also the redwall books got me to read a lot more when i was younger because it got me to not judge books by their covers literally.

i dont really agree with the reading more for information thing b/c fictional stories interest kids in reading more and also improves their vocabulary, reading skills and how fast they read
"Don't be self-conscious, " he whispered in my ear. "If I could dream at all, it would be about you. And I'm not ashamed of it."
I LOVE TWILIGHT!
BN Editor
MattW
0 Kudos

pearlgrl2010 wrote:
harry potter and also the redwall books got me to read a lot more when i was younger because it got me to not judge books by their covers literally.

i dont really agree with the reading more for information thing b/c fictional stories interest kids in reading more and also improves their vocabulary, reading skills and how fast they read

I think a lot of younger people are on the same page as you about why they got into Harry Potter and Redwall. What do other people think?
Matt
Teens Editor, B&N.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

MattW wrote:

pearlgrl2010 wrote:

I think a lot of younger people are on the same page as you about why they got into Harry Potter and Redwall. What do other people think?

When my son started the Harry Potter series he wasn't a very fast reader and wasn't all that fond of reading either. He was hooked on Harry and then went on to the Eragon books, now he is reading books like I am a Strange Loop, Nickel and Dimed, Einstein, Vonnegut's books and anything else he is at all interested in. He is a MUCH faster reader and his comprehension does not suffer for the speed.

He and I just finished the new Harry (WONDERFUL!) and he was driving me nuts -- he finished it first, so when I was reading he kept wanting to know where I was in the story, only not the way I would have described it, he wanted to know how many spells had been cast so far, what types of spells, etc. Excuse me?? I don't keep track of that kind of stuff, but apparently he does!

If young people like Harry, Eragon and Redwall, be sure they haven't missed the classic A Wrinkle in Time and of course the Narnia series by C.S. Lewis. Girls who are interested in fantasy that is a little lighter might like the "Molly Moon" series, too.
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 965
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

I was around 10 or 11 when the Redwall books were first published and I also started reading the Prydain Chronicles at about the same time. I think both these series (and Harry Potter, Narnia, and His Dark Materials series as well) take a number of important life lessons like loyalty, truth, self-discovery, and faith and break them down into digestible bits.

MattW wrote:

pearlgrl2010 wrote:

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
valeriefrankel
0 Kudos

Okay, there's lessons and Latin roots, and all sorts of t...

Okay, there's lessons and Latin roots, and all sorts of themes and morals. Still, why do people read Potter, and other books? Because they're fun. Now some like the humor and some like the epic fantasy quality, but most are reading them because they enjoy the story. THus everyone is seeking piles of similar books off all the "If you liked HP" tables. HP may be sparking YA fantasy, the same way Tolkien practically created modern fantasy trilogies. On with the reading extraveganza!
Valerie Frankel
Author of Henry Potty and the Pet Rock:
An Unauthorized Harry Potter Parody
www.HarryPotterParody.com
Contributor
snowyowl_ecs
0 Kudos

I'm the perfect example of how Harry Potter is a wonderful influence on young readers. When I was younger I always had trouble in the education department. Over the years I had countless tutors and teachers trying to help me learn how to increase my reading abilities. I was around eleven when I was first introduced to the Harry Potter series during a reading program at school. I have no idea why, but it was just what the doctor ordered. Slowly but surely I began to read faster, my vocabulary increased, and my interest in books was multiplied by a thousand. No words can describe the appreciation that I feel for J.K. Rowling and for the teacher that thrust me into her world. Now I'm almost 20 and I can't devour enough books. It may sound kinda corny but Harry Potter has mad my life more fulfilling.
Embrace your inner Luna Lovegood. ~Make awkward sexual advances, not war. ~Just because something's in your head doesn't mean it isn't real. ~If it matters to you it matters. ~Everyone's some kind of crazy. ~Never take life too seriously. You'll never get out alive.
New User
Famous_stars115
0 Kudos

I LOVE HARRY POTTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT
Harry Potter