Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Hermionefan112
0 Kudos

I think Harry Potter is a Kid book

I love Hp andmy kid loves HP she actually read all the books before I'd gotten past three!!!:-)
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Re: I think Harry Potter is a Kid book

[ Edited ]

Hermionefan112 wrote:
I love Hp andmy kid loves HP she actually read all the books before I'd gotten past three!!!:-)

There are some books that cross over the child-adult line; that appeal wonderfully both the child and to the adult. I do agree that Harry Potter (more so the earlier books) is of this group. Others I would add would be Alice in Wonderland and The Wind in the Willows. And there are many others.

I should add that I don't mean just books that adults and children can both enjoy; there are many, many such books. I mean books that appeal to adults and children almost as different books; that they are serious adult literature as well as being wonderful children's books.

Message Edited by Everyman on 06-18-2007 12:30 AM
0 Kudos

I think this is a great topic - books that have cross-over appeal for both adults and children. The ones that Everyman mentions are good, as well as Harry Potter, of course. Are there other cross-over books that folks out there know of and would like to share?
Matt
Teens Editor, B&N.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

MattW wrote:
I think this is a great topic - books that have cross-over appeal for both adults and children. The ones that Everyman mentions are good, as well as Harry Potter, of course. Are there other cross-over books that folks out there know of and would like to share?

I don't know about "kids" but The Lovely Bones is a good book for adults and teenagers.
BN Editor
MattW
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

MattW wrote:

I don't know about "kids" but The Lovely Bones is a good book for adults and teenagers.

I agree. Just fyi, this book was mentioned in another thread, but Gabrielle Zevin's book Elsewhere is Lovely Bones-ish and is a great cross-over book, too.
Matt
Teens Editor, B&N.com
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Elsewhere

MattW wrote:

Just fyi, this book was mentioned in another thread, but Gabrielle Zevin's book Elsewhere is Lovely Bones-ish and is a great cross-over book, too.

Elsewhere was so good! I just finished it and I got the recommendation on these boards. I'm glad that I heard about it. :smileywink:
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

MattW wrote:

I think that Halari Bell's books A Matter Of Profit and the Farsla Trilogy were great cross over books. A Matter Of Profit was the first of her books I read and that was on a recommendation from my neice while she was in Jr. High School.

Toni
Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
BN Editor
MattW
0 Kudos

Re: Elsewhere

Wrighty wrote:

MattW wrote:

Just fyi, this book was mentioned in another thread, but Gabrielle Zevin's book Elsewhere is Lovely Bones-ish and is a great cross-over book, too.

Elsewhere was so good! I just finished it and I got the recommendation on these boards. I'm glad that I heard about it. :smileywink:

Hey Wrighty and others, what did you enjoy about Elsewhere? I thought it was such a great book - the voice really caught me from the first page. Maybe it's the 'looking back at your life in death' aspect that I enjoyed.
Matt
Teens Editor, B&N.com
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

MattW wrote:
Hey Wrighty and others, what did you enjoy about Elsewhere? I thought it was such a great book - the voice really caught me from the first page. Maybe it's the 'looking back at your life in death' aspect that I enjoyed.

It was so different than anything I had read before. It was very creative and even though it was about a sad situation it wasn't all gloom and doom. The characters went through some very real emotions but it was also written with a sense of humor. Of course a 15 year old would be mad that she was so close to getting her driver's license and then found out she would never turn 16 (in this lifetime anyway!) That wasn't something I would have expected to read about in a story about "the other side". And I loved that the animals could talk. What a great idea! I don't want to give anything away but the parts about the reverse aging were also quite creative. The book was a nice change of pace and I would like to read more by that author.
BN Editor
MattW
0 Kudos

Wrighty wrote:

MattW wrote:

It was so different than anything I had read before. It was very creative and even though it was about a sad situation it wasn't all gloom and doom. The characters went through some very real emotions but it was also written with a sense of humor. Of course a 15 year old would be mad that she was so close to getting her driver's license and then found out she would never turn 16 (in this lifetime anyway!) That wasn't something I would have expected to read about in a story about "the other side". And I loved that the animals could talk. What a great idea! I don't want to give anything away but the parts about the reverse aging were also quite creative. The book was a nice change of pace and I would like to read more by that author.

Thanks for your thoughts. I enjoyed the book for those same reasons. I don't know, something about her writing is very accessible and absorbing to me. Have you read The Lovely Bones as well? I haven't, but I'd like to read it sometime. Also, fyi there's a book coming out this September by Chris Crutcher called Deadline, which is about a teen who discovers that he only has a year left to live and what he does about it. It's great!
Matt
Teens Editor, B&N.com
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

MattW wroteThanks for your thoughts. I enjoyed the book for those same reasons. I don't know, something about her writing is very accessible and absorbing to me. Have you read The Lovely Bones as well? I haven't, but I'd like to read it sometime. Also, fyi there's a book coming out this September by Chris Crutcher called Deadline, which is about a teen who discovers that he only has a year left to live and what he does about it. It's great!

I read The Lovely Bones a while ago. It was good but it was sad too. I don't remember all of the details now but it wasn't humorous and uplifting like Elsewhere was. I see that it will be a movie soon. I will definitely check out Deadline this fall. Thanks!
Frequent Contributor
valeriefrankel
0 Kudos

The first book with its Dahl like style and silliness was totally for kids. The later ones have been darker, with shocks, death, torture, innuendo, and swear words. I might call them "teen" but I have never ever ever paid attention to recommended ages, as I read whatever I felt like, so I may be a weaker judge. I think the best way to decide is to see who's reading them-- recommended ages are just a marketing decision anyway.
Valerie Frankel
Author of Henry Potty and the Pet Rock:
An Unauthorized Harry Potter Parody
www.HarryPotterParody.com