Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Introduce Yourself in The Family Room Here!

[ Edited ]

Hello, Readers!

I'm your new moderator for The Family Room, ConnieK.  I'd like to get to know those of you who stop by here.  Are you a parent?  librarian?  guardian?  interested relative?  young reader?  author?  artist?  When did your interest in books for young people begin and why? 

Thank you for helping me find a seat in the 'room and to try to get to know you!  My interest in young people and books--and bringing them together--has brought me here.  So, I know we already have something big in common!

~ConnieK

Message Edited by ConnieK on 08-01-2008 05:31 PM
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
New User
mom2

Re: Introduce Yourself in The Family Room Here!

Hello,

I am a new member in this book club and I am interested in getting some suggestions about good books for my 9 year old, if you can help me in this then it will be great.

Thanks 

Frequent Contributor
johanna49
0 Kudos

I am an elementary school librarian. For me this is a wonderful event that Tomie DePaola is visiting the Barnes and Noble family room. He writes and illustrates such wonderful books. I wish I could participate during the week. However, my husband are going on a road trip starting August 4th. So, when I come back I will check back to see all the posts.

Have a great time!!!

New User
Tikky
0 Kudos

I am a mom of three boys who love to read.  We visit our local library every week to read and borrow books and the bookstore very often.  I believe reading expands your view in a lot of things and the more you read the more you learn. 
Contributor
bkhouchin
0 Kudos

Hello Connie, I am new member myself and I am a new author of a book titled: The Forgotten Kingdom, and is now available on barnes&noble.com. My 17 year old daughter is the illustrator. She did a wonderful job drawing the pictures for me. It's a great story about a boy who fights an evil witch to break a ten year old spell with the help of an angel and a peasant girl. I believe parents and children alike will love this book.

I wrote this book because I feel that children need books and to learn to read. It opens doors for many opportunities in their lives. Check out my new book. Thank you!

B.K.Houchin

Author of The Forgotten Kingdom 

B.K. Houchin,
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, mom2!

Have you ever searched online for booklists?  I know, for example, that the American Library Association (ALA), sometimes has such lists.  Your local librarian is also a superb resource for helping you and your son choose books that might match his interests.  Could you let me know a little bit about what you have tried thus far?

~ConnieK

mom2 wrote:

Hello,

I am a new member in this book club and I am interested in getting some suggestions about good books for my 9 year old, if you can help me in this then it will be great.

Thanks 

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Hi, johanna--I wish you could participate, too.  Darn.  Well, yes; definitely take a look at the discussion when you get back.  You can always leave a question before you go and hope he'll answer (but, I realize, now it's 8/4, and you're probably already gone!).

~ConnieK

johanna49 wrote:

I am an elementary school librarian. For me this is a wonderful event that Tomie DePaola is visiting the Barnes and Noble family room. He writes and illustrates such wonderful books. I wish I could participate during the week. However, my husband are going on a road trip starting August 4th. So, when I come back I will check back to see all the posts.

Have a great time!!!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, Tikky!

How lucky your 3 boys are that you take them to the library once a week.  It's such a wonderful way to spend family time, too, don't you think?

~ConnieK

Tikky wrote:
I am a mom of three boys who love to read.  We visit our local library every week to read and borrow books and the bookstore very often.  I believe reading expands your view in a lot of things and the more you read the more you learn. 

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, B.K.!

For those of you who'd like to check out The Forgotten Kingdom, here's the bn.com page.

~ConnieK

bkhouchin wrote:

Hello Connie, I am new member myself and I am a new author of a book titled: The Forgotten Kingdom, and is now available on barnes&noble.com. My 17 year old daughter is the illustrator. She did a wonderful job drawing the pictures for me. It's a great story about a boy who fights an evil witch to break a ten year old spell with the help of an angel and a peasant girl. I believe parents and children alike will love this book.

I wrote this book because I feel that children need books and to learn to read. It opens doors for many opportunities in their lives. Check out my new book. Thank you!

B.K.Houchin

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
johanna49
0 Kudos

Hi Connie,

I had already left that on Monday. I did look over the Tomie DePaola "visit" and it looked quite interesting.

New User
LittleMissPerfect
0 Kudos

Hey everyone! I am also new here. I am very excited to discuss books with you! I personally love reading, and have always wanted to join an online book club! I also need a good suggestion for my friends book club. Her age range is 9-11 years old. Does anyone have any ideas?
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, LittleMissPerfect!  The online book clubs are great--no leaving the house for meetings, etc.  I hope you enjoy them and jump right in to the various conversations as you please!

~ConnieK

LittleMissPerfect wrote:
Hey everyone! I am also new here. I am very excited to discuss books with you! I personally love reading, and have always wanted to join an online book club! I also need a good suggestion for my friends book club. Her age range is 9-11 years old. Does anyone have any ideas?

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Contributor
JulieZ
0 Kudos

Hi!  I'm Julie (age 17), writing with my sister Emily (12) and brother Ben (15).  I've participated in several B&N Book Clubs before, and I've greatly enjoyed discussing books with other bibliophiles and receiving responses from authors like Tracy Chevalier and Anita Diamant!  When I heard that Andrew Clements, one of my favorite authors ever, was joining the Book Clubs, I invited Emily and Ben to participate with me in this club.  All three of us have been huge Andrew Clements fans for many years!
Julie
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Here's sending out a big B&N welcome to Julie, Emily, and Ben!  Glad to have you here with us!  Andrew Clements is "in the house" this week answering your questions.  I hope you'll fire away--our visiting authors love it when readers ask lots of questions!

Enjoy!

~ConnieK

JulieZ wrote:
Hi!  I'm Julie (age 17), writing with my sister Emily (12) and brother Ben (15).  I've participated in several B&N Book Clubs before, and I've greatly enjoyed discussing books with other bibliophiles and receiving responses from authors like Tracy Chevalier and Anita Diamant!  When I heard that Andrew Clements, one of my favorite authors ever, was joining the Book Clubs, I invited Emily and Ben to participate with me in this club.  All three of us have been huge Andrew Clements fans for many years!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
New User
andgoosebumpsfan
0 Kudos

hi i'm new to the book clubs i'm young reader and i love goosebumps and every book R. L. Stine has every written.  what kind of books you like?
AnDrEw
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, Andrew!

You can start a new thread (just click "New Message") to ask your question of fellow young readers.  Great idea!

~ConnieK

andgoosebumpsfan wrote:
hi i'm new to the book clubs i'm young reader and i love goosebumps and every book R. L. Stine has every written.  what kind of books you like?

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
love4books
0 Kudos

Hi Connie and Welcome to the family room!  I've been out for a couple of months due to computer problems but hopefully have the worst of the problems fixed.  I am a mother of one and have always spent a lot of time reading to her.  Even today each night I read to her.  I think that reading is very important for children and I am so happy that my little one (not real little anymore) enjoys reading a large variety of books.  As for myself, I enjoy reading science fiction/fantasy type of books and just finished reading both Inkheart and Inkspell (I am hoping for a third in this series!) 

This summer after seeing that Andrew Clements was a featured author here my daughter read her first book by him (No Talking). Unfortunately, our computer decided to act up and not work so we didn't get to participate. I must say though that she really enjoyed the book and decided we had to by Frindle. She gobbled that story up and is now decided which other she wants to read. 

love4books

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, love4books!

Thanks for the welcome--I look forward to reading your posts on the board.  It's terrific that you read to/with your daughter!  Reading together remains my favorite memory with my own children.  Tell your daughter that I just read Frindle for the first time, too, while Andrew Clements was here--and I also enjoyed it!

~ConnieK

love4books wrote:

Hi Connie and Welcome to the family room!  I've been out for a couple of months due to computer problems but hopefully have the worst of the problems fixed.  I am a mother of one and have always spent a lot of time reading to her.  Even today each night I read to her.  I think that reading is very important for children and I am so happy that my little one (not real little anymore) enjoys reading a large variety of books.  As for myself, I enjoy reading science fiction/fantasy type of books and just finished reading both Inkheart and Inkspell (I am hoping for a third in this series!) 

This summer after seeing that Andrew Clements was a featured author here my daughter read her first book by him (No Talking). Unfortunately, our computer decided to act up and not work so we didn't get to participate. I must say though that she really enjoyed the book and decided we had to by Frindle. She gobbled that story up and is now decided which other she wants to read. 

love4books

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Contributor
Roseshadow
0 Kudos

Hi! I found this bookclub site when Michael Buckley was chatting with people on here. Well, actually, unfortunately, I found it just a day or two after he was done chatting. He's one of my favorite authors and I wanted to reply on all the discussions he started even if he wasn't reading them anymore. So I joined and replied on a couple of them! It's nice to meet you and everyone else!
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Roseshadow wrote:
Hi! I found this bookclub site when Michael Buckley was chatting with people on here. Well, actually, unfortunately, I found it just a day or two after he was done chatting. He's one of my favorite authors and I wanted to reply on all the discussions he started even if he wasn't reading them anymore. So I joined and replied on a couple of them! It's nice to meet you and everyone else!

Welcome, Roseshadow!  Glad to have you in The Familly Room!

~ConnieK

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]