Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Leslieann
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself in The Family Room Here!

Hello, my name is Leslieann. I am an author of a children's book titled Brokenwing the Faerie. It is not listed right here (Bokenwing the Faerie), however it is a fun book that teaches kids some values and how to handle situations. Faerie are fun.

I love kids books. I have a huge collection and find great books all the time. I am not a fan of kids books that are the happy, no message type, but some are adorable. I have listed on my page a few newer great kids books.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Leslieann wrote:

Hello, my name is Leslieann. I am an author of a children's book titled Brokenwing the Faerie. It is not listed right here (Bokenwing the Faerie), however it is a fun book that teaches kids some values and how to handle situations. Faerie are fun.

I love kids books. I have a huge collection and find great books all the time. I am not a fan of kids books that are the happy, no message type, but some are adorable. I have listed on my page a few newer great kids books.

Welcome, Leslieann! 

~ConnieK

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Contributor
BellaTinne
0 Kudos

Hello All! 

I'm Holly and I am a Barnes and Noble children's bookseller and I, like the children's lead on this thread, am working on a kid's picture book. I worked at my store for three years before I left to work at my local newspaper as a Copy Editor and have come back to help out during the holidays. I run my own comic and gaming and newspaper now.

Also, I'm in the works of adopting, so I am looking forward to having children myself soon. But, this process with the state takes time.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

BellaTinne wrote:

Hello All! 

I'm Holly and I am a Barnes and Noble children's bookseller and I, like the children's lead on this thread, am working on a kid's picture book. I worked at my store for three years before I left to work at my local newspaper as a Copy Editor and have come back to help out during the holidays. I run my own comic and gaming and newspaper now.

Also, I'm in the works of adopting, so I am looking forward to having children myself soon. But, this process with the state takes time.

A hearty welcome to you, Holly!  It's great to have you with us.  Your current family situation makes me think that it might be good to start a thread on books about adoption.  I think that's a very relevant thread for The Family Room.  Thanks for giving me this idea (however unintentionally!). 

~ConnieK

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

This message has been moved to the Adoption thread to keep topics together.

New User
leadmare
0 Kudos

Hello Connie and readers,

I am a mother, grandmother and indie author. I have always loved books, as a shy militery brat i knew i had a friend as long as i had a book. My other passion is horses and ponies. Looking for great horse and pony books for grandkids ages 2 to 16 girls and boys. Thanks!

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

leadmare wrote:

Hello Connie and readers,

I am a mother, grandmother and indie author. I have always loved books, as a shy militery brat i knew i had a friend as long as i had a book. My other passion is horses and ponies. Looking for great horse and pony books for grandkids ages 2 to 16 girls and boys. Thanks!

Welcome, leadmare!  Thanks so much for joining us.  You give me a great idea for a new topic thread--favorite horse books!  I'll start it up now.  I hope you'll share some of your favorites that you may have come across already, and maybe people will add theirs that will help you choose books for those grandkiddies!
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Reader 2
ammobaby
0 Kudos

Hi!

My name is Lindsay. I am a parent of two young boys, ages 4 and 2. Both of my boys love to listen to me read them books. Our current favorite is called "You can do it, Sam". Its about a young bear who takes Christmas cakes to all his friends. I hope to continue their interest in books as they grow up to be young men. I believe reading is a very important part of being a child and encouraging their imagination.

Happy Holidays!

Lindsay

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

ammobaby wrote:

Hi!

My name is Lindsay. I am a parent of two young boys, ages 4 and 2. Both of my boys love to listen to me read them books. Our current favorite is called "You can do it, Sam". Its about a young bear who takes Christmas cakes to all his friends. I hope to continue their interest in books as they grow up to be young men. I believe reading is a very important part of being a child and encouraging their imagination.

Happy Holidays!

Lindsay

Welcome, Lindsay!  I agree with you about the importance of books in a child's upbringing!  It's such a wonderful way to spend time together with one's children, too.
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Contributor
suicide_kings_wild
0 Kudos

Hello, I am a father of two beautiful girls. I remember while my first daughter couldnt even talk yet she wanted my then wife and I to always read to her. Needless to say, she is in her mid-teens. I bought her the book"RED" and I believe she liked it. She has read Chinese Cinderella till the cover has about fallen off. She seems to like memoirs and etc. Any other books she might be interested in?
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

suicide_kings_wild wrote:
Hello, I am a father of two beautiful girls. I remember while my first daughter couldnt even talk yet she wanted my then wife and I to always read to her. Needless to say, she is in her mid-teens. I bought her the book"RED" and I believe she liked it. She has read Chinese Cinderella till the cover has about fallen off. She seems to like memoirs and etc. Any other books she might be interested in?

Welcome, kings!  We also have a Teen Reads Book Club that you might like to check out sometime. 

Message Edited by ConnieK on 12-16-2008 05:45 PM
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Contributor
Ahayden
0 Kudos

Hello.  My name is Amanda and I'm a mom of two.  My daughter is 9 almost 10 and is an advanced reader who loves everything from fantasy to historical fiction.  My son is 5 and loves being read to.  Right now he has no interest in learning to read by himself but loves being read to and "reading" books by the pictures.  I read a lot of young adult/middle reader books so I can talk about them w/my daughter.  I don't censor her reading but I do try to lead her into the direction I think is more appropriate for her.  While she reads at a 8th grade level she is only 9 and worries about things that 9 year old do... not teenagers!  So it can be a challenge but it's one I'm happy to take!

Amanda 

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Ahayden wrote:

Hello.  My name is Amanda and I'm a mom of two.  My daughter is 9 almost 10 and is an advanced reader who loves everything from fantasy to historical fiction.  My son is 5 and loves being read to.  Right now he has no interest in learning to read by himself but loves being read to and "reading" books by the pictures.  I read a lot of young adult/middle reader books so I can talk about them w/my daughter.  I don't censor her reading but I do try to lead her into the direction I think is more appropriate for her.  While she reads at a 8th grade level she is only 9 and worries about things that 9 year old do... not teenagers!  So it can be a challenge but it's one I'm happy to take!

Amanda 

Welcome, Amanda!  It's a pleasure to have you with us.  I hope you enjoy participating in The Family Room!
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
New User
Mora
0 Kudos

My name is Amer. I am chief audit executive in a multinational company located in US,Egypt, UAE, Syria and Qatar and many other countries.
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Mora wrote:
My name is Amer. I am chief audit executive in a multinational company located in US,Egypt, UAE, Syria and Qatar and many other countries.

Welcome, Amer!  What brings you to The Family Room?  Do you have children to whom you like to read?  Another interest in books about family or children's literature?
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
New User
vmcclent
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi Everyone!

I am a 25 year old, married with two young sons, Notre Dame alum with an engineering degree, current MBA student at the University of Phoenix, supervisor at a solar cell manufacturing company, athlete, outdoorsman, writer, and of course avid reader.

I am looking to find some good books for my kids (to read to them or have them read) that will influence them to develop a love of learning and reading. They are just now learning how to read, and I want to get them started out right so they'll enjoy reading right from the beginning!

I also am always looking for ways to make my already great marriage even better. I'm open to any recommendations on any of this, so feel free to make one if you have one!  

=)

-Vance 

Message Edited by vmcclent on 01-02-2009 12:44 PM
Message Edited by vmcclent on 01-02-2009 12:45 PM
New User
missyann
0 Kudos

Hi Vance and everyone else!!!!

I am a mom of two teens, 16 & 17! I too am an MBA student w/University of Phoenix. I am in my 2nd class. I got my BA at Purdue University way back in 1988.

As far as recommending books, I can only say that I took my two to the library frequently in attempts to foster reading lovers. My 16 yr old reads all the time but I was not so lucky with my 17 yr old son. I got him several magazine subscriptions too at the suggestion of his 1st grade teacher. Anyway good luck.

Missy

MissyAnn
New User
VivaciousReader
0 Kudos

Hello Everyone!

My name is Roselle, I'm a 26 year old mother to a 2 month old son.  My love for reading books started when I was extremely young.  I don't really remember what prompted me to read books but I have my parents to thank.  They kept tons of books around the house and I would mimic them when they read their own books.  Now days, I'm trying to read every single book there is out there that intrigues me in any way.  Definitely a tough thing to do when juggling a full-time job, being a mom and a wife, and dealing with my own demands.

Currently, my favorites are books from Nora Roberts and the paranormal fictions.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

vmcclent wrote:

Hi Everyone!

I am a 25 year old, married with two young sons, Notre Dame alum with an engineering degree, current MBA student at the University of Phoenix, supervisor at a solar cell manufacturing company, athlete, outdoorsman, writer, and of course avid reader.

I am looking to find some good books for my kids (to read to them or have them read) that will influence them to develop a love of learning and reading. They are just now learning how to read, and I want to get them started out right so they'll enjoy reading right from the beginning!

I also am always looking for ways to make my already great marriage even better. I'm open to any recommendations on any of this, so feel free to make one if you have one!  

=)

-Vance 

Welcome, Vance!  I hope you find some useful recommendations here in the club.  Have a look through the many threads.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

missyann wrote:

Hi Vance and everyone else!!!!

I am a mom of two teens, 16 & 17! I too am an MBA student w/University of Phoenix. I am in my 2nd class. I got my BA at Purdue University way back in 1988.

As far as recommending books, I can only say that I took my two to the library frequently in attempts to foster reading lovers. My 16 yr old reads all the time but I was not so lucky with my 17 yr old son. I got him several magazine subscriptions too at the suggestion of his 1st grade teacher. Anyway good luck.

Missy

Welcome, Missy!  Are you and Vance in the same class?  :smileywink:  Hope you enjoy your visits here to The Family Room.
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]