Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Multiple_Mom
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself in The Family Room Here!

Hello,  I am a mom of twin girls that are turning 8 this year.  I want to get them more into reading and would like to know if anyone has any ideas on any good books.  One of my girls is into fairies and the other is into mermaids.  I found a couple of books but they looked to young for them.  I want to try and find something that will challenge them to read more but to still enjoy it.  If anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate it.  Thanks a bunch!!
Distinguished Wordsmith
PenelopeTX
0 Kudos

Hi M Mom! Have you seen these?

Tales from Pixie Hollow 

Misty to the Rescue (Mermaid S.O.S. Series #1)

Ellie and the Secret Potion (Mermaid S.O.S. Series #2)  

PenelopeTX
Do NOT invoke my inner Mama Bear! (Credited to me)
Contributor
bigjackJS
0 Kudos

Hello everyone. I'm retired, old and write every day. I just thought I'd introduce myself.

Bigjackjs

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

bigjackJS wrote:

Hello everyone. I'm retired, old and write every day. I just thought I'd introduce myself.

Bigjackjs

Welcome, Bigjack!  I think, if you write every day, you can't possibly be "old!"  :smileyvery-happy:

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
New User
CherylC

Hello,

I am Cheryl and I am a new member hereI am also a retired HS English teacher and an authorI like to write for kids 7-12 because it is at this age that kids either become readers or don'tI write books set in the time of King Arthur because I love this era, and my high school students were very fascinated with it also

My first book Guinevere: On the Eve of Legend was just published in March 2009It introduces kids to the princess Guinevere when she was only 12I found that my high school students frequently didn't know who she was.

I am working on a book for boys at that same age.

It is important to get all children interested in reading, and if anyone is wondering about what books to look at for summer reading, here are some suggestions.

Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson series

Joseph Delaney's The Spook's Apprentice series

John Flanagan's The Ranger's Apprentice series

These series are suitable for readers 8 +.  While the main character in each is male, they all feature strong female characters with prominent roles in the stories.

And of course, mine!    Guinevere: On the Eve of LegendGuinevere tells the story of the girl who became queen at the age of 12She is a typical 12-year-oldShe and her friend Cedwyn like hunting rabbits and roaming the castle grounds. The last thing she wants is to grow up!

04-19-2009 07:37 PM
Distinguished Wordsmith
PenelopeTX
0 Kudos

Fantastic Cheryl; congratulations and thanks for the info! My big girl is seven.
PenelopeTX
Do NOT invoke my inner Mama Bear! (Credited to me)
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

CherylC wrote:

Hello,

I am Cheryl and I am a new member hereI am also a retired HS English teacher and an authorI like to write for kids 7-12 because it is at this age that kids either become readers or don'tI write books set in the time of King Arthur because I love this era, and my high school students were very fascinated with it also

Welcome, Cheryl!  There's a dedicated thread on BN.com Book Clubs where you can talk about your book.  It's called "Read My Book," and it's in the Community Room area, here.

Good luck!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Correspondent
JennGrrl
0 Kudos

Hi, Connie!  I'm new here, too.

I'm a parent of 3 (8, 10 and 13).  I tend to read any of the books I give to my children that are non-fiction or that are for teens.  I don't tell them they can't read anything, but I do make sure if the content is something they haven't experienced yet, or something they may not fully understand, we discuss it as they're reading.

I'd like to get an idea of what's out there, and what other parents are doing as far as their children's reading habits and also the books their children are reading.  I like to challenge my kids and make them think outside of the box. 

So, if anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to read them!

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

JennGrrl wrote:

Hi, Connie!  I'm new here, too.

I'm a parent of 3 (8, 10 and 13).  I tend to read any of the books I give to my children that are non-fiction or that are for teens.  I don't tell them they can't read anything, but I do make sure if the content is something they haven't experienced yet, or something they may not fully understand, we discuss it as they're reading.

I'd like to get an idea of what's out there, and what other parents are doing as far as their children's reading habits and also the books their children are reading.  I like to challenge my kids and make them think outside of the box. 

So, if anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to read them!

A hearty welcome to you, Jenn!  You've come to the right place for the interests you mention.  Have fun!  :smileyvery-happy:
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Correspondent
plaidfroggie
0 Kudos

I am here because I am a concerned aunt, not a parent.  I have some pretty unique challenges to face in helping my nieces who are 6 and 8 in their reading because of a combination of physical distance from them (they are in North Dakota and I am in Pennsylvania) combined with being the black sheep of the family including just getting involved in my family again after my nieces being born.

Long story, I have no children of my own.  However I did babysit years ago as a teenager for my cousin and have a unique perspective on what the video games and lack of reading skills did to her children.  They did not have parents who even disciplined them enough to have them get decent grades as they didn't really have "game time" limits from a young age. (my brother and his wife are making their children do their homework first right now though I am not sure how long that will continue). 

It wasn't just a lack of discipline that hurt my cousin's children in their classes, but their borderline illiteracy.  From story problems in math to science and history you can't succeed in school and be borderline illiterate.  How do I know how bad their reading skills truly were?  My cousin when I was in college had me trying to help her daughter pass pre-algebra.  It was a losing battle as her daughter did not have the reading ability necessary to pick apart a story problem!  I tried desperately but failed in my free tutoring sessions because I couldn't overcome her daughter's reading obstacle.

Last year when I met my nieces for the first time on a trip to Disneyworld I actually found out to my surprise that the oldest girl is a reader more than her sister, but despite video games, dvds and cable tv that she even reads for pleasure at all is a very happy surprise for me.  I know that their father, my older brother, doesn't read for pleasure at all.  Even to this day he commented he doesn't like reading.  It is a combination of my mother's outright efforts to discourage us from reading because my father read so much and the fact he is ADHD and never liked sitting down and keeping still activities.  I know that since he is 5 years older than me and I am 37 ADHD was not a common diagnosis the way it has become now for any child that isn't perfectly controlled in school being forced on medication.

I do not subscribe to my family's belief system including their choice of a church that outright declares females to be inferior.  I took the step of checking out the website for their current church and it is similar to the one my mother took me to in that females are secondary and downright discriminated against.  If I had even a penny for how many times my brothers were told they could do better than my straight A's in advanced classes(except gym and typing as I am truly co-ordinationally challenged) because I was only a girl and they were smarter than me because I am female by my mother, I would be a very rich person.

I checked out the thread on the first page here and am definitely going to look into the titles I saw listed there for 9 year old girls.  When I asked what their oldest daughter was into reading they couldn't answer that question which saddens me and doesn't give me a genre clue.  I know my older brother has proudly declared he rules the roost to the extent he tells his wife what she is and isn't allowed to do.  They are hard to get ahold of on the phone, and they are hard to make heads or tails of in some ways because of contradictory things they say.  My sister-in-law seems happy enough in the belief system that the man is in charge...and doesn't seem to be a reader either.

I am going to try to balance out their parents' sexism by looking for books about strong female protagonists only.  They do not read to their younger daughter, but the older girl reads to her younger sister.  My mother frankly taught me to read so she wouldn't have to read to me anymore and while I appreciate that she did it with great patience with second hand elementary school primers and listened to me sound out the words by myself, that was the only encouragement for reading I received in my house. 

I also became a better reader because of my mother buying a dictionary since she flat out refused to take time to define words for me.  It was a webster's unabridged adult dictionary and the only new book she willingly bought that wasn't strictly required by the school system.  She did play dictionary for my younger brother, but I at least saw that words had multiple definitions and while my typing doesn't make it look like I know how to spell, I spell things better than my younger brother ever managed.

I am the black sheep of the family for not remaining close and listening to therapists instead of just following "forgive and forget" for the outright abuse common in my family.  I have been advised by numerous professionals that my family borders on insanity in their child rearing beliefs (I am not talking strictly religion based) and it is healthier for me to avoid my family as much as possible.  I have a conscience struggle going on as I believe children's parents should have the right to raise them including religion as our nation has a foundation of freedom of religious choice. 

While my brother's wife seems content enough in her subservient role on the surface, I am not certain that she is really happy.  I know for a fact that all of my female cousins on my mother's side have severe emotional problems from being raised in homes so similar to mine.  My mother was actually the mildest of all her siblings when it came how she treated her daughter.  While in my family it is believed you should forgive, forget, and allow your adult parents to continue to emotionally abuse you through adulthood none of my female cousins go to any church.  The cousin I babysat for never took her children to church except weddings and funerals.

I know children are more worldly today than my generation.  My brother is very conservative though, and I don't know how much that will temper the media role in raising children as they do have cable tv.  My older brother is in the Air Force and seems to have slightly moved away from the extremely racist viewpoint of the extended family, so I would like to find some books suitable for younger children that expose them to other cultures as well.  I figure if I am going to be the black sheep I might as well go all the way to meddlesome aunt.  Since they live in North Dakota right now the extremely cold winters mean that reading is encouraged slightly as the temperatures make it impossible to play outside.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome to The Family Room, plaidfroggie!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Hi..I'm Vtc,Mom/Mommy depending on my 24yr old daughters frame of mind..I like Mommy,because it reminds me of her little days...We always read to her and she developed a real passion(thank goodness) for reading..Since she graduated college,her time is more of her own,so BN,not far from her Apt,is a favorite spot..We share,recommend,disagree,agree on some of our book choices,it keeps us close...I just want to say HI,and will be posting,and looking forward to all of your ideas...I have kept most of my daughters books,journals,some stuffed Animals(I'm one of those)..Love being a Parent(most of the time)..I have worked in the Art Gallery Field for many years,untill we closed our doors last year(sad):smileysad: so now in the fall /winter I work at a nearby ski resort.:smileyhappy:Always searching our thrift shop for books,library sales and BN.  VermontCozy,Best to all..(Shel Silverstein has a prominent place in my bookcase)

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Vermontcozy wrote:

Hi..I'm Vtc,Mom/Mommy depending on my 24yr old daughters frame of mind..I like Mommy,because it reminds me of her little days...We always read to her and she developed a real passion(thank goodness) for reading..Since she graduated college,her time is more of her own,so BN,not far from her Apt,is a favorite spot..We share,recommend,disagree,agree on some of our book choices,it keeps us close...I just want to say HI,and will be posting,and looking forward to all of your ideas...I have kept most of my daughters books,journals,some stuffed Animals(I'm one of those)..Love being a Parent(most of the time)..I have worked in the Art Gallery Field for many years,untill we closed our doors last year(sad):smileysad: so now in the fall /winter I work at a nearby ski resort.:smileyhappy:Always searching our thrift shop for books,library sales and BN.  VermontCozy,Best to all..(Shel Silverstein has a prominent place in my bookcase)

Welcome, Vermontcozy!  I'm sure some of the other parents in the Family Room will be interested in hearing some of your book recommendations for when your daughter was little.  We're collecting ideas for books about fathers, grandfathers, and stepfathers at the moment (see thread with that subject).

Glad you can join us!

Message Edited by ConnieK on 06-15-2009 05:16 PM
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Contributor
CelticSkye
0 Kudos

Hello all!  I'm not a parent or anything like that...just a 25 year old woman that would like to say hello!  I'm drawn to this club because of my past with children's books.  I think a few know the story and for those that don't I'll fill ya in!

When I was young, around 8, my mom opened a Children's Bookstore.  For the six years it was open, I spent every day there helping out and reading all the beautiful new books that came in.  While in high school, I worked for the enemy, books-a-million, in the children's department.

Even now, everytime i visit B&N, I still go into the kids department just to refresh myself on some of the new authors and illistraturs as well as the one's I'm already familiar with!

Happy reading!

Mary Kate

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

CelticSkye wrote:

Hello all!  I'm not a parent or anything like that...just a 25 year old woman that would like to say hello!  I'm drawn to this club because of my past with children's books.  I think a few know the story and for those that don't I'll fill ya in!

When I was young, around 8, my mom opened a Children's Bookstore.  For the six years it was open, I spent every day there helping out and reading all the beautiful new books that came in.  While in high school, I worked for the enemy, books-a-million, in the children's department.

Even now, everytime i visit B&N, I still go into the kids department just to refresh myself on some of the new authors and illistraturs as well as the one's I'm already familiar with!

Happy reading!

Mary Kate

Glad to see you here as well, Mary Kate!  People come to this board a lot looking for book recommendations, so I hope you'll feel free to jump in with suggestions from your experience with your mom's store.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Contributor
CelticSkye
0 Kudos

Glad to see you here as well, Mary Kate!  People come to this board a lot looking for book recommendations, so I hope you'll feel free to jump in with suggestions from your experience with your mom's store.

Most definately! Not to mention all the memories that seeing all the other books that people have been talking about bring back! ^_^

New User
lanspeaks
0 Kudos

Hello!

am dropping by the family room to try to connect with parents looking for YA fiction for their children.  Am highly recommending 2 books an exciting fantasy series by a lesser known writer. The "Call of the Tree" and "The Sacrificial Wood" by Darryl Markowitz are available at bn.com and the third book is coming out this October. He has received rave reviews from young and old alike at his website, www.thefaithwalkerseries.com and readers have thanked him for most positively affecting their lives.

The protagonists in the series are Stephanie and Vaughn who suffer kinda like Harry Potter but prevail not through magic but with something real. Hope you check out the books soon. Thanks and happy reading. 

Contributor
NKSTMo
0 Kudos

I am a very proud mommy of 2 young daughters.  I am looking for entertaining and educational books, specifically for my 4 year old.  She reads rather well, and I would like to continue to challenge her in her reading skills, yet make it fun.  I am thrilled to have a book lover in my family.  She would rather sleep with a book than a doll.  
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

NKSTMo wrote:
I am a very proud mommy of 2 young daughters.  I am looking for entertaining and educational books, specifically for my 4 year old.  She reads rather well, and I would like to continue to challenge her in her reading skills, yet make it fun.  I am thrilled to have a book lover in my family.  She would rather sleep with a book than a doll.  

Welcome, NKSTMo!  I love the story of your daughter preferring to sleep with a book rather than a doll.  You'll find lots of book suggestions here.
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Contributor
hestia
0 Kudos

Hey Everyone!

I'm a full time grad student for Secondary English Education and a full time book lover. I have the core belief that books can help save lives sometimes. That being said, I read A LOT of YA lit now! I'm just happy and excited to have an on-line community of other book lovers.

Laura

“My only advice is to stay aware, listen carefully and yell for help if you need it.”

Judy blume