New User
skip40
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself in The Family Room Here!

Hello

I am a parent of two a teenager and a first grader .Time have change since I raise my older son and I finding that video games are all that 's important to my yonger son. I am hoping to find books to interest him. I have tried every thing taking video games away and taking to the library their he just want to get on the computer and play more games I have even tried education games but he seem to know the computer better than me. Like me It took one good book and I wanted to read all day long I hoping to find that good book for my son. Can you  help. He has all the dr sues books and some disney books  

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,083
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33

Welcome, skip.

What role does reading play in your life?  Does your son see you reading for pleasure and do you read to him for pleasure?  If he perceives reading to be a chore or as "punishment" instead of doing something fun, like play video games, he will be more resistant to the idea of reading for fun.  Set aside a specific amount of time to either play on the computer or play video games.  Once he's done, he's done.  It's a good habit to get into now because as he grows older he will have homework to do as well.

Have you talked to your son's teacher, too?  He/she should be able to tell you if your son reads easily in school or if he seems to be struggling.  He may also be gravitating toward books at school that are not Seuss or Disney.  Many of the popular titles among boys who are learning to read are Star Wars readers, Henry and Mudge, Scooby-Doo, and Flat Stanley.

skip40 wrote:

Hello

I am a parent of two a teenager and a first grader .Time have change since I raise my older son and I finding that video games are all that 's important to my yonger son. I am hoping to find books to interest him. I have tried every thing taking video games away and taking to the library their he just want to get on the computer and play more games I have even tried education games but he seem to know the computer better than me. Like me It took one good book and I wanted to read all day long I hoping to find that good book for my son. Can you  help. He has all the dr sues books and some disney books  

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Author
ConnieAnnKirk

skip40 wrote:

Hello

Welcome, skip!  I'm not an expert, but I hear you saying that you have both a teen and a first grader in the house.  I'm thinking your littler guy might want to do things with your older son, and that's one reason why he's taking to the video games and computer like that.  I'm guessing he sees his older brother doing those activities, and he wants to join in or be like him. 

Do you get some time alone with your younger son when his brother is out?  Maybe sharing books especially then when you have him alone would help him see how special books are.  Kids need to see their other family members value books and reading.  Does your teen read very often around the house?  Would he be receptive to reading with his younger brother sometimes?

Just some thoughts--hope maybe they prompt other ideas that you might find helpful.  Enjoy your 2 boys!  Your younger one will be a lot of comfort to you when your teen goes away to college or something else.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
love4books
0 Kudos

Hello and Welcome Skip,

I am very thankful that reading came very natural to my daughter and she loved books at a very early age.  However, math is a different story!  Many children are really into Pokemon (including my daughter).  She learned to subtract playing the Pokemon card game as the hit points are subtracted from the power points to see who the winner is.  Story problems the same .... I guess it is much more fun trying to figure out something that you are interested in. 

If your son would happen to be one of the children that are really into the Pokemon video games and cartoons you could check out some Pokemon titles.  I have noticed that there is a wide variety of reading levels offered so I am sure you could find something appropriate for him.  Here is one that is a short read. They also have some step 2 book Pokemon titles on Barnes and Noble website.  I haven't searched for a step 1.  Scooby-doo also has some fun early reader books.

Get Well Pikachu (Pokemon Series) 

Comics could also be a fun way to get reading if he is really reluctant. 

love4books

Correspondent
Clippership14
0 Kudos

I'm in the middle of reading The Read-Aloud Handbook by Jim Trelease. This should be required reading for all parents, teachers, and librarians. Need ideas on how to motivate or help your child read or do better in school? Read this book! I've gotten my hands on the sixth edition but there might be a seventh already. Amazing and simple ways to help instill a love of reading and learning. Wish I'd known about this book years ago.
New User
KewlNerd
0 Kudos

Hello!

I'm a parent and a book lover. I enjoy reading with my children and discussing the books they read. I have 4 children ages 7 to 14...all girls. My love of children's books has never diminished because of my love for art and illustration (I'm a designer, architect and artist). My favorite children's authors are William Joyce and Maurice Sendak. Although my daughters do not share the same love of "boy books" like Dad, we do enjoy the connection we share in our discussions.

I recently began reading my old collection of Happy Hollister books to my younger daughters. I had forgotten how fun those books were.

KN
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

KewlNerd wrote:

Hello!

I'm a parent and a book lover. I enjoy reading with my children and discussing the books they read. I have 4 children ages 7 to 14...all girls. My love of children's books has never diminished because of my love for art and illustration (I'm a designer, architect and artist). My favorite children's authors are William Joyce and Maurice Sendak. Although my daughters do not share the same love of "boy books" like Dad, we do enjoy the connection we share in our discussions.

I recently began reading my old collection of Happy Hollister books to my younger daughters. I had forgotten how fun those books were.

Welcome, KewlNerd!  Love the screen name.  We have lots of parents here reading with their children.  I'm sure you'll find some good suggestions here.  Since you're an artist yourself, I'd enjoy hearing your impressions of any of the Caldecott medal books or any other illustrators you enjoy.  I agree with you on Sendak and Joyce.  Sendak seems to be the 'grand master' of children's book illustration in terms of critical acclaim. 

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
New User
ClevelandJennifer
0 Kudos

Hi.  I came here to ask for ideas for my 6 year old son, who just started reading chapter books a month ago, and is now devouring the Magic Treehouse series.  He is almost finished with the series, including the Merlin Mission books, and I'd like to find other books that he would like as well.  I was thinking of trying to find another series so that he would know what to read next (he likes knowing what his next book will be).  He also likes space, castles, but nothing girly. 

Thanks for your ideas!

Jennifer

Distinguished Wordsmith
PenelopeTX
0 Kudos

Have you two found the non-fiction companions to the Magic Tree House books? 

Space  Knights and Castles  

PenelopeTX
Do NOT invoke my inner Mama Bear! (Credited to me)
New User
ClevelandJennifer
0 Kudos

Thanks, I saw the Magic Treehouse Research Guides at the library, and I think he would like the ones about Space and Nights & Castles.  But he likes the adventure in the Magic Treehouse stories, and the Research Guides are just information, not stories.  So I was thinking along the lines of another series of fun, adventurous stories that he could get into.

Something in between Magic Treehouse and the Harry Potter books, because he's only 6.  Maybe I'll see if he likes the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe and start him on the Narnia series.

Jennifer

Distinguished Wordsmith
PenelopeTX
0 Kudos

Jennifer, maybe more like this?

Lost Treasure of the Emerald Eye (Geronimo Stilton Series #1)  Race Forever (Choose Your Own Adventure Series #7)  On the Dog (Andrew Lost Series #1)  

PenelopeTX
New User
msheather
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am currently a nanny. I have an interest in becoming an author, and I have recently tapped into a talent for drawing.  I have always been interested in becoming a writer but was always too afraid to take the necessarry steps. I think that children are the best audience because they are so captivatied. This is my first time being a member of a book club, and I look forward to learning many things and being an active member.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

msheather wrote:

Hello,

I am currently a nanny. I have an interest in becoming an author, and I have recently tapped into a talent for drawing.  I have always been interested in becoming a writer but was always too afraid to take the necessarry steps. I think that children are the best audience because they are so captivatied. This is my first time being a member of a book club, and I look forward to learning many things and being an active member.

Welcome, msheather!  I think this is the first time I can recall a nanny being on the boards, or at least that someone has identified herself as one.  How neat!  We hope you enjoy reading about children's books here as well as hearing some recommendations for your young charges.

As for writing--I always say that the best ways to get into it are to read a lot and write even more!  :smileywink:  Keeping a journal is a good way to start.  Try everything.

Good luck!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
New User
mommyandme
0 Kudos

Re: hello..I am a new mommy and on the board

Hello ladies in Los Angeles County..I am one of the organizers of The Beverly Hills/San Fernando Valley Parents Group a mommy and me group for Working Mothers and Stay at home moms in Los Angeles and San fernando Valley-Glendale/Pasadena. We are located on meetup.com or you can google. Hope to meet you soon in person or at least on the club!
Laurels
New User
booksforboys
0 Kudos

I grew up as a reluctant reader. And my father was the author of over 70 books. Now I write action-adventure and mystery books especially for tween boys. My blog, Books for boys, http://booksandboys.blogspot.com is # 4 on Google today.

Max Elliot Anderson
New User
mrsrmc
0 Kudos

Hi, I am a new member to this book club. I am looking for books for my kids for the summer: My 10-year-old girl loves Stink, Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Baby Mouse, Katie Kazoo, and any book that seems to have more of a "journal" quality. My 8-year-old son loves Flat Stanley, Stink, Frindle, and the Ready Freddie series.

Any suggestions along those book lines would be appreciated!

Thank you!

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

mrsrmc wrote:

Hi, I am a new member to this book club. I am looking for books for my kids for the summer: My 10-year-old girl loves Stink, Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Baby Mouse, Katie Kazoo, and any book that seems to have more of a "journal" quality. My 8-year-old son loves Flat Stanley, Stink, Frindle, and the Ready Freddie series.

Any suggestions along those book lines would be appreciated!

Thank you!

Welcome, mrsrmc!  If you look around on the board, you'll probably see some good suggestions.  Also, feel free to start a thread looking for something specific, too.

Also:  There was a fairly involved discussion of summer reading last year that may be a few pages back.  Worth taking a look.

EnJOY!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
New User
Chavonjb02
0 Kudos

Chavon

Hello, My name is Chavonjb02 and I am a single parent of two boys. I absolutely love to read.
Distinguished Wordsmith
PenelopeTX
0 Kudos

Re: Chavon

Chavonjb02,

I am not the moderator (Connie), but I thought I'd say welcome. Good to meet you! I think if you scroll around here there is a good thread going that you might like --  discussing good books for boys. Also, be sure to look around the clubs for the kind of books you enjoy reading and talking about for yourself (as in what you, yourself are interested in, not just what you the Mom is interested in for her boys). I find great things for kids here in the Family Room, and amazing stuff for myself all over this site (ok, also some stuff for myself right here in the Family Room).

Also, if you decide you would be comfortable, you can sign off on your posts using either your name, or a nickname, even just a "chat site" nickname, that other people would be welcome to call you by. This is all up to you. I really hope you have fun here.

PenelopeTX
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Re: Chavon

Chavonjb02 wrote:
Hello, My name is Chavonjb02 and I am a single parent of two boys. I absolutely love to read.

Welcome, Chavonjb02!  Glad to have you with us.  Do you read with your boys?
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]