Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself in The Family Room Here!

VivaciousReader wrote:

Hello Everyone!

My name is Roselle, I'm a 26 year old mother to a 2 month old son.  My love for reading books started when I was extremely young.  I don't really remember what prompted me to read books but I have my parents to thank.  They kept tons of books around the house and I would mimic them when they read their own books.  Now days, I'm trying to read every single book there is out there that intrigues me in any way.  Definitely a tough thing to do when juggling a full-time job, being a mom and a wife, and dealing with my own demands.

Currently, my favorites are books from Nora Roberts and the paranormal fictions.

Welcome, Roselle!  Glad to have you with us.  Take a look around, and if you have any questions, just holler!
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Distinguished Wordsmith
PenelopeTX
0 Kudos

Holly and Connie,

You may be interested in Through Moon and Stars and Night Skies by Ann Warren Turner. It is the sweetest fiction picture book about adoption (there are some other good ones too, but my brain won't give up their titles to me right now). Through Moon... is also a Reading Rainbow book.

Reading Rainbow is an excellent way to get the attention of active little ones. The Reading Rainbow videos really get the kids involved by expanding on the book's subject matter in fun and sometimes crazy ways. Someone earlier typed that her child seems uninterested in books now. This might be one way to help. The videos read a quality book to your child, then teach fun and interesting material related to the book's subject matter.

PenelopeTX
Do NOT invoke my inner Mama Bear! (Credited to me)
Distinguished Wordsmith
PenelopeTX
0 Kudos

Hi Strawberry! I just wanted to say that it can sometimes be tricky to get an active little one to sit for a book. Each family is different, but I'll give you a couple of ideas that worked for me (maybe one will work for you).

Please see my previous post on this thread about Reading Rainbow. My babies loved it so much, that when we were at the library, they would select the  RR books they had first seen on tv and sit eagerly for me to read those books.

Second, during the fussy stages, I did not insist that they sit still to hear. I would let them color, or build with blocks (or something, just no noisy toys) and I would sit like a teacher with the book facing out. I was never sure if it was working or if I was wasting time until one day my oldest stopped everything she was doing and asked me to define a word I'd just read to her. It didn't look like she was listening, but she was!

Next, I made use of a captive audience. If my husband was driving, I would sit in back and read to the kids (where were they going to go?). At restaurants waiting for food, in line at the store, in the doctor's waiting room, or watching them splash in the tub, I read to the kids. 

Next, I gave them a wide variety of choices. I let them choose their library books. I collected books on their favorite subjects or their favorite characters. I read the newspaper, comic books, song books, recipes, cereal boxes, closed captioning, the Internet (selectively).

And last, I always had a book of my own at hand, and a tower of books on my night stand. I read to them and I read alone (where they could see me). Hope any of this helps!

PenelopeTX
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

PenelopeTX wrote:

Holly and Connie,

You may be interested in Through Moon and Stars and Night Skies by Ann Warren Turner. It is the sweetest fiction picture book about adoption (there are some other good ones too, but my brain won't give up their titles to me right now). Through Moon... is also a Reading Rainbow book.

Reading Rainbow is an excellent way to get the attention of active little ones. The Reading Rainbow videos really get the kids involved by expanding on the book's subject matter in fun and sometimes crazy ways. Someone earlier typed that her child seems uninterested in books now. This might be one way to help. The videos read a quality book to your child, then teach fun and interesting material related to the book's subject matter.

I love Reading Rainbow:smileywink: 
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
New User
Mora
0 Kudos

My Name is Amer I am Chief Audit Executive (CAE) in amultinational company located in US, Egypt, UAE, Syria, Qatar and many othercountries.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Mora wrote:

My Name is Amer I am Chief Audit Executive (CAE) in amultinational company located in US, Egypt, UAE, Syria, Qatar and many othercountries.

Welcome, Amer!  (I may have welcomed you before?)
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Distinguished Correspondent
marilynpsychic
0 Kudos

Hello!

I write science fiction for LATE Teen Readers.  So I'm confused:  What age parameters are considered Young Adult?  And what is roughly the dividing line between Childrens and Young Adult?  If your book deals with a late teen Lead, with non-specific, veiled references to swearing, drinking and sex, does that make it an Adult book, versus Young Adult?

Any ideas or suggestions are welcome!

"I'm a writer. I give the truth scope." Chaucer (character) in movie "A Knight's Tale"
Correspondent
Clippership14
0 Kudos

The dividing grade between Children's and YA is called Middle grade. Middle grade covers the preteen to mid-teen level. There's a fine line between YA and adult with no set parameters. It's an ongoing debate issue and a source of speculation for writers. The age of the characters contributes to where it is shelved, but also content. While most teenagers understand what were once considered adult themes there are books about teenagers that are shelved as adult because the theme, language, violence, sexual content, etc. is considered more of an adult read. And then there is the crossover novel (especially seen in series such as Harry Potter) where it starts out YA and evolves more as time goes on to reach a larger adult reader base.

Based on the little you wrote about your book (and without having read it, personally) I'd think you'd still be classified as YA. But that's my own opinion. Publishers and booksellers are the ones who ultimately make the decision where to shelve a book.

Distinguished Wordsmith
PenelopeTX
0 Kudos

marilynpsychic wrote:

What age parameters are considered Young Adult?  And what is roughly the dividing line between Childrens and Young Adult? 

Any ideas or suggestions are welcome!

Marilyn, we are having a good discussion related to this on another thread titled "Should cursing be allowed..." It would be interesting to hear your thoughts, and you can find mine there. It is good to meet you again!

PenelopeTX
marilynpsychic
0 Kudos

Hi Clippership and Penelope!

Thanks so much for clarifying the age parameter thing.  Just as I suspected, there's no hard and fast dividing line between Late Teen and Adult.  But parents are very vigilant these days (which is good, but I think they've been scared by all the internet-predator stories), and I don't want my book mis-classified and then end up with irate parents.

I read the "Cursing" thread, but didn't have much to add.  In my book I just say something like "and then he swore" or "made rude finger gestures".  Plus I made up a swear-term, "By God's Gravy!", to let my Readers speculate.  (In the thick of things?  In quite a stew about something?  Stuck in the universe' Dark Matter?)

Thanks again!

Marilyn

"I'm a writer. I give the truth scope." Chaucer (character) in movie "A Knight's Tale"
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Marilyn--

Putting a specific age on books is problematic for many reasons, but I'd say if a novel has a teen protagonist, it's probably young adult. 

Hope that helps!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
marilynpsychic
0 Kudos

Hi Connie!

Thanks for your input.  The few kids who post don't seem to have a problem with non-blatant swearing, some drinking, and off-page sex.  So you're right, I'll let my books find their own audience, especially since kids are sophisticated enough these days to defend their reading tastes to their parents.

Distinguished Wordsmith
PenelopeTX
0 Kudos

marilynpsychic wrote:

Hi Connie!

Thanks for your input.  The few kids who post don't seem to have a problem with non-blatant swearing, some drinking, and off-page sex.  So you're right, I'll let my books find their own audience, especially since kids are sophisticated enough these days to defend their reading tastes to their parents.

I think it is important as parents to acknowledge that sophistication. Our world was not what their world will be. I will listen to a carefully constructed argument by my children any day (I did not say I would agree :smileyindifferent: ). As for me and my household, I hope we will be able to read the same text and discuss our thoughts and concerns freely for decades to come. I am really trying establish that kind of environment. Please wish me luck.

PenelopeTX
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

PenelopeTX wrote:

marilynpsychic wrote:

Hi Connie!

I think it is important as parents to acknowledge that sophistication. Our world was not what their world will be. I will listen to a carefully constructed argument by my children any day (I did not say I would agree :smileyindifferent: ). As for me and my household, I hope we will be able to read the same text and discuss our thoughts and concerns freely for decades to come. I am really trying establish that kind of environment. Please wish me luck.

Good luck to you and your family having a supportive and free reading environment where you all share books and ideas, Penelope!
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
New User
Mora
0 Kudos

Not really it is the first time you welcomed me, thank you indeed for your welcome. 
New User
ilia_aoibheann
0 Kudos

Hello every one. I'm a SAHM with two daughters who are 5 and 3. I've read to my girls since they were new borns. Just so they could hear our voice. My 5yr old is in pre-K and doing well. Loves to read misteries which is interesting to me. Our youngest just loves to read anything she can get her little hands on. It's a constant "mami could you read this"? It's presious. We go to the library children's story time when we can and always make time to visit the library for new books. Wouldn't mind getting any new suggestions on new reads for toddlers that we can add to our home library collection.
:smileyhappy:
Ilia
Distinguished Wordsmith
PenelopeTX
0 Kudos

Hi Ilia. My favorite picture books are under my B & N profile under My Library and favorites. I also have a book review and a recommended reading list. You can view the picture books I love by clicking on my avatar to the left and then clicking "go to profile." I am always looking for ideas too, so feel free to share your recommendations.
PenelopeTX
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

ilia_aoibheann wrote:
Hello every one. I'm a SAHM with two daughters who are 5 and 3. I've read to my girls since they were new borns. Just so they could hear our voice. My 5yr old is in pre-K and doing well. Loves to read misteries which is interesting to me. Our youngest just loves to read anything she can get her little hands on. It's a constant "mami could you read this"? It's presious. We go to the library children's story time when we can and always make time to visit the library for new books. Wouldn't mind getting any new suggestions on new reads for toddlers that we can add to our home library collection.
:smileyhappy:
Ilia

Welcome, Ilia!
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
New User
AimeeStinson
0 Kudos

Hey.

I am Aimee Stinson, author of The Championship game

How do you edit your profile to do the picture by your name.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

AimeeStinson wrote:

Hey.

I am Aimee Stinson, author of The Championship game

How do you edit your profile to do the picture by your name.

Hi, Aimee--You go to "Preferences" toward the top of your screen.  Let me know if you still need help!
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]