Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

July 14-18, 2007: Michael Buckley

[ Edited ]
Let's welcome Michael Buckley to The Family Room!

Do you have a question for the author? Reply to this message to talk about Michael's books or ask him for his insights about summer reading.

About Michael Buckley:

Michael Buckley's Grimm future began at birth in Akron, Ohio. He attended Ohio University where he worked on the school newspaper, hosted his own live television talk show and formed a comedy troupe. After graduating with honors he moved to New York City to find his fortune, but instead found work as a pasta maker, hamburger flipper, personal assistant, stand-up comic, and even a singer in a punk rock band. His parents worried that Michael might be shiftless but he assured them that he was acquiring valuable life experience (but really he was just trying to pay the rent). Eventually he found work in television production and in his ten year career he has developed programming for MTV, MTV Animation, Discovery Networks, and Klasky Csupo (producers of Nickelodeon's Rugrats), focusing heavily on children's programming.

The Sisters Grimm series is Michael's first venture into the world of children's book writing. His mom and dad insist they are proud of him, even if the whole "I'm going to write a book" idea sounded like another one of their son's poorly thought-out money-making schemes he claimed was "life experience." The first book in his next series, N.E.R.D.S., is due out in 2009. Michael lives in New York City with his wife Alison and their son.
Message Edited by ConnieK on 07-08-2009 01:28 PM

Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!

New User
pauley21
0 Kudos

Re: July 14-18: Michael Buckley

I love the Sisters Grimm series and I am nearly 40 years old. I have recommended it to my sister (mid-20s) and several co-workers who range in age from early 30s to early 50s. This is in addition to all the kids to whom I have mentioned the series ( I am a librarian). This series has made me rediscover the fairy tales.

I love Puck and Canis. I love how Snow White is an elementary school teacher and Prince Charming is the mayor.

I am anxiously awaiting book 7. Keep up the great work.

Jennifer
Author
Michael_Buckley
0 Kudos

Thanks Jennifer. When I started writing the books I wanted to make a series that kids would love but adults could have some fun with, too. There are jokes throughout all the books that will fly over the head of kids but they're in there for people like you.

Learn more about Tales from the Hood (Sisters Grimm Series #6).

Discover all Michael Buckley titles.

New User
Picky_Nicky12
0 Kudos

Michael,
  I literally LOVE "The Sisters Grimm" books! So when I heard that it might be turned into a movie, I nearly ker-ploded!!! Now I am researching auditions for it.... so far, nothing. But that's okay! Because I still have a few questions about it anyway... And I wanted to ask you! :smileyhappy:

1. Does it matter that I have shorter dark brown hair and hazel eyes, and Sabrina has longer blonde hair and blue eyes? (I want to audition for Sabrina. We are the same age and have some of the same characteristics) And I don't want to be a Daphne! Also, I am (only a little bit!!!) short for my age, and I don't know how tall Sabrina is supposed to be... (by the way, by the time there will be auditions, I will, unfortunately, have braces..... But with all the technology, I think that can get around that.....I hope..... Also, I'm sure that the make-up and hair people have so many tricks up their sleeves that they can make me look like a natural born blonde with sparkling blue eyes!!)

2. Does it matter that I have no experience? I have no experience acting, modeling, etc...etc... but does that matter? Will they be asking me if i've ever been in a commercial or starred in a TV show or was on the front- page of a magazine??? I certainly hope not....... :smileysad:

3. Can you give me some tips on being Sabrina? What would I focus on? How should I act if I'm being Sabrina???

4. What do I do at auditions? Do I act a scene from the book out? Do I try to focus on different roles? (Become one with my inner Elvis.... Practice my Warrior Face and Warrior Stance..... Focus on kidnapping some kid's parents like a crazy, demented little girl everyone knows a bit too well......)

I really hope you can help me.... Thanks SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO (weeell, you get the point) SO much!!

-Nicky :smileyvery-happy:   

P.S. Sorry about the extremely long and terribly painful to read message that you now probably have to attack and destroy your computer just to rid your eyes and mind......                  
P.P.S If you do not reply, we are going to have some trouble.... I think I'll have to let my "kitty" out on you.....                               

New User
Devonthebooboo
0 Kudos

I think i've caught most of them! oh and by the way: Why do you not like the Harry Potter books? I caught the joke in the library in book 6 about "a series of increasingly thick novels about a boy who went to a school for wizards" (and yes i'm a total nerd for being able to quote that off the top of my head) :smileywink:  

Peace, Love, Puck
~ Devon (from Myspace)
Author
Michael_Buckley
0 Kudos

Hi Nicky,

The Sisters Grimm movie is in its very early stages. As far as I know we don't even had a script and that's usually what gets these kind of projects rolling along. Like most novelists, I don't have a lot to do with who gets to be in the movie and I'm not sure how the audition process will work. I presume (at least this is what I would do) is I would find a couple of unknown actors to play the girls and then fill the movie with movie stars. Therefor, I would recommend that you get involved in acting classes in your town. My grandmother always used to tell me that you should be prepared for success. If you really want to act you should start learning how and then when opportunity finally knocks you'll be ready to let him/her in.

As for how you look - a person's appearance rarely means much in Hollywood - especially when it comes to movies based on books/comic books. For instance, in the Superman movie they cast a blond to play the part of Lois Lane who has always been brunette - a little hair die did the trick. Halle Berry is African American but she still got to play Catwoman in a movie. I wouldn't let a little brown hair stop you.

As for playing Sabrina - I think you would play her as brave and a bit stubborn, but she's had to become stubborn to keep her sister safe. Down deep, she'd love to be just like any other girl. She's a bit insecure about her role as "big sister" and that makes her a little cranky - but the most important element to Sabrina is her humor - sarcasm she uses as a defense mechanism. It turns people off but its meant to - Sabrina just doesn't trust most people.

If you do get to audition, chances are the producers will have you read from a script. That way they can see how natural you are - I wish you the best of luck and you can keep checking back to www.sistersgrimm.com for info on the movie when I get it.
Good Luck!

Author
Michael_Buckley
0 Kudos

I love Harry Potter - in fact, if it wasn't for Harry Potter I probably wouldn't have been able to become an author myself. I made a little joke not about the series but about the size and weight of the books. Personally, I think it's remarkable that JK Rowling got kids to read books that big - so I bow at her feet. Harry Potter rules. You just need a wheelbarrow to carry all those big, heavy books around.

Contributor
morganlovesbooks
0 Kudos

ya have know clue. so  whenis thev next sister girmm coming out is there ging to be a next one?
Contributor
morganlovesbooks
0 Kudos

I love your books its really jaw dropping and exsiting.
Author
Michael_Buckley
0 Kudos

the next book should be out in May of next year.  And yes, there will be a Book 8, after that, maybe one more but we'll have to see.  

New User
Devonthebooboo
0 Kudos

my friend can balance all of them on her head (supporting our theories she is an alien from outer space!!!) i'm glad you like harry potter!!!!
New User
Haydimi
0 Kudos

Hi Michael!

I have been looking for info on stuff like this for forever and am so excited I found this! I am somewhat new to reading your books and haven't finished all of them. Like people were talking about-I also love Harry Potter and once I finished that series I thought I would never read a good book again, then I found this series and was so addicted from the first few pages! I know this question has somewhat been asked, but it is about the movie. I have blonde hair, blue eyes, etc. and would love to audition for Sabrina. When do you think the audition would be? After all, you said they hadn't written the script much yet, but what do you think? Also, where would they be and would there be an open-audition for Sabrina? I have had acting experience. No TV shows or commercials, but I do a lot of adult theatre and such. Thanks so much! :smileyvery-happy:

New User
maeve1198
0 Kudos

Hi Michael and all you Grimm fans,

I love the Sisters Grimm series and I think, I am perfect for Sabrina and my little sister is perfect for Daphne. If anybody gets this, could you please tell me when and where the auditions are? Really its so funny I am like an exact replica of Sabrina. Blonde hair, personality, everything.

Contributor
Roseshadow
0 Kudos

The Sisters Grimm books are great for people of any age because of how exciting they are and how deep Sabrina's character is. Those things really let you get into the books and feel sort of like you're living them. What I just don't get is why everyone loves Puck so much. I dislike him very much because I think he's horrendously mean. He's probably the biggest problem I have with the books. I've asked a few people why they like him but no one gave me a real answer. That is, some people said they like him because he's mean and immature and others said they didn't know why they liked him. If any Puck fans are reading this, I don't want to sound prying, but could you please tell me why you like him?

New User
LIBA
0 Kudos

Hi, my name is Laura.I would really like to audition for daphnie but I am 11! I stiil think it would be ok because I am short and I where silly clothes and stuff like that.Please E-mail me telling me where and when auditions are.Aslo I would need to convince my parents.

New User
pushpunch
0 Kudos

First off I love the Sisters Grimm. They combine all my favorite qualities of a book including the differnt world, the mystery, the time travel, and heart break. Sisters Grimm is a blessing to the book world and lets readers escape through a portal that sends them to a place that they don't want to leave. It inspires, because it teaches the lesson of reaching your goals, and although I'm sarcastic in real life, I've never been more serious about anything I've ever typed. These books place awe and sadness and an emotion you don't get every day. The butterflies sit in your stomach and explode in your heart when you read even one book. From the daring, sarcast, bold, yet confused Sabrina, to the dashing, anpying, hearthrob Puck.

We all know one, but yet Puck is made special, because he loves Sabrina, yet hides his feelings, and rescues both of them and then throws atink bombs at them during training. He's the boy evryone thinks of as average and yet he brings something else to the page. I don't know quite how to explain it, but he kinda hard not to love. He just makes the book more interesting with his humor and protective ways. The only thing not to love, well I haven't quite figuired that out yet.

New User
kanimals
0 Kudos

Michael,

I have read all of the books and I LOVE them. I'm reading Twilight right now and all my friends say that Twilight is the best book in the world, but I keep telling them that nothing can top the Sisters Grimm series.

I would really like to audition for Sabrina. We are pretty much like the same person except for our hair. I have reddish blonde curly hair and she has straight blonde hair. I have a younger sister who would be perfect for Daphne (they look the same) but she is very shy around other people, and I don't think she would want to audition anyway. I have no acting experience but I'm confident that I could audition anyway. (But I'll definately try to look into some acting classes.) I really want to be in this movie sooooooooooooo badly. (Even as an extra)

I have a few questions about the movie. (I know it's still a little early but.......)

Okay my #1 question about the movie is........

Are Sabrina and Puck still going 2 kiss in the movie? I need to know because if they are then my parents will definately not let me be Sabrina. maybe and extra but not Sabrina.

2.) When you get information on the auditions can you please tell me.... that would be so helpful.

Please reply.:smileyhappy:

~Kiersten~

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

kanimals wrote:

Michael,

I have read all of the books and I LOVE them. I'm reading Twilight right now and all my friends say that Twilight is the best book in the world, but I keep telling them that nothing can top the Sisters Grimm series.

I would really like to audition for Sabrina. We are pretty much like the same person except for our hair. I have reddish blonde curly hair and she has straight blonde hair. I have a younger sister who would be perfect for Daphne (they look the same) but she is very shy around other people, and I don't think she would want to audition anyway. I have no acting experience but I'm confident that I could audition anyway. (But I'll definately try to look into some acting classes.) I really want to be in this movie sooooooooooooo badly. (Even as an extra)

I have a few questions about the movie. (I know it's still a little early but.......)

Okay my #1 question about the movie is........

Are Sabrina and Puck still going 2 kiss in the movie? I need to know because if they are then my parents will definately not let me be Sabrina. maybe and extra but not Sabrina.

2.) When you get information on the auditions can you please tell me.... that would be so helpful.

Please reply.:smileyhappy:

~Kiersten~

Kiersten--I'm afraid you've found an old thread from a previous year.  I'll try to rename it, so that it won't confuse anyone else.

Take care!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
New User
bre100x
0 Kudos

Re: July 14-18, 2007: Michael Buckley

Hi Michael,

My friend got me addicted to your books just recently and she mentioned you were making a movie. I saw in another comment that it's not really put together yet but that was from a while ago. I was hoping [crossing fingers] that open auditions were still going on? If so can you tell me the information about it?

I have expierence by doing local plays about almost fifteen of them. I took a drama class also. So i know how the auditions usually go.

There is not an age limit really on Sabrina right? Would it be ok if you were like two or three years older? I look pretty young I guess. You have on TV twenty year olds playing sixteen year olds so I guess it doesn't really matter?

Well I hope the auditions are still going on! This might be my big break :smileyvery-happy:

Thank you for writing the books you are an inspiritation to all!

~bre100x

Contributor
sistersgrimmlover
0 Kudos

Re: July 14-18, 2007: Michael Buckley

Umm... it might be okay, but how tall are you? If you're over 5'1 then forget it. Sabrina's only eleven, after all! Besides, you need an agent to get into those sorts of auditions. So unless you're like me (and some others) and have an agent, professional experience, are 10-12, (or older depending on your height- DON'T lie to me), and (not as important) have the looks, you don't stand a chance for Sabrina. Sorry, but that's showbiz for you.