Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

BN Editor
MattW
0 Kudos

Kids Book of the Month?

Hi all-

With all of these great conversations about children's books, I'm thinking we should do a real kids' book of the month discussion. I'll take nominations/suggestions and then announce the children's novel toward the middle/end of the month. Then following month, we'll begin a discussion about characters, themes, etc. - folks can jump in at any time after they've read the book. (We'd of course keep the board open for other discussions and topics, too.) What does everyone think about that idea?
Matt
Teens Editor, B&N.com
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Re: Kids Book of the Month?

Matt,

I just got Atherton House OF Power to read to my grandnephews and am really enjoying it. It is written by Patrick Carman. I would also reccomend The Fire Within by Cris D'Lacey.

Toni
Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Reader
m_ellereads
0 Kudos

This is a great idea!!! Kid books deserve recognition for thier discussion potential. There have been books that I have read where I wished there were an outlet for discussion (one example is "Life as We Knew It" by Susan Beth Pfeffer). Just because these books are written for a younger audience than my present age doesn't mean that they can't make great discussions and bring up interesting topics.

I'm in!
Contributor
livewell07
0 Kudos

Sounds great Alyssa and I enjoyed City of Ember and passed the book around to her friends, and I would love suggestions to new books to share with her.
Frequent Contributor
KristyR
0 Kudos

I'm definitely in!
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

When you say that your in could you please add a book or author in with your reply. He wants suggestions so lets give him some as well as say that we will participate please.

Toni
Toni L. Chapman
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

My suggestions are all for children from about 10 up, since I don't think that books for younger children would offer much to discuss. Pat the Bunny, Goodnight Moon, etc. are good to recommend to other parents, but there's not much there to discuss.

Most of these authors have other good books, too, so perhaps if we are going to do month long discussions that would allow some time for comments on one or two other books by the same authors. At least people who had read others could make comments about them.

You might want to set a policy about spoilers; would we worry about spoilers or not in discussing children's books?

Arthur Ransome, Swallows and Amazons

Laura Ingalls Wilder, Little House on the Prairie

Rudyard Kipling, Kim (my mother so loved this book that she read it every summer from the time she was ten, when she first read it, until after college)

Andrew Lang, The Blue Fairy Book

R L Stevenson, Treasure Island

E. B. White, Charlotte's Web

John Buchan, Prester John

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

Arthur Conan Doyle, The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes

Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

E. Nesbit, The Railway Children (and/or The Story of the Treasure Seekers)

George MacDonald, The Princess and the Goblin

Frances Hodgson Burnett, The Secret Garden

L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

Enid Blyton, Five on a Treasure Island (or The Island of Adventure, each the first book of a series by EB)

L. Frank Baum, The Wizard of Oz

Anna Sewell, Black Beauty

Johann David Wyss, The Swiss Family Robinson

Howard Pyle, Adventures of Robin Hood (ideally with Wyeth illustrations)
0 Kudos

I think these are all fantastic suggestions, and it's great that we have a diversity of tastes of those folks who are interested. I also think it's good for us to split up future books between contemporary literature and classics.

I also hear Everyman's comment that there should be a no spoiler rule -- so I'm making it so...no spoilers! If you've read the entire book, please make sure that all the folks have finished the book before discussing the ending; if you are joining the discussion while you're reading the book, please try to read the book in a fair amount of time so that folks who want to discuss the ending don't have to sweat it out for too long.

With that in mind, I'll post the title of the July kids' book in a new thread...
Matt
Teens Editor, B&N.com
New User
kdounn
0 Kudos

Matt,

I would like to suggest a newer book with which I am enamored. It is "The Success of Robert Fitzgibbons" by Eric Blank, and it details a young man's journey to follow his dreams. It combines imaginative rhyme and wonderful illustrations. I have been purchasing this book for both younger children as well as high school and college graduates as I think it can have a profound impact on all of these groups.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&bnit=H&bnrefer=TOP&EAN=9780977264308...

Thank you,
Karly
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Matt,

Let's not change the book but maybe we could put in a thread where people can mention other books that relate to the theme of the book we are discussing. That way the main discussion will not get so sidetrack as much. I don't know how others feel but it seems like that would serve the same purpose as the old community room threads did in the old bookclub forums.

Toni
Toni L. Chapman
New User
Lehua85
0 Kudos

Dear Mat; I think that having a kids book of the month club, is wonderful. My granddaughter is ten and dyslexic but is making great strides in reading. She is very enthusiastic regarding becoming a book club member. I would like to enroll her in a kids book of the month club where, like an adults book club, she can choose the book that she would like to read. Any suggestions?

Thanks much, Doris
Contributor
JulieZ
0 Kudos

Everyman, what a wonderful list! Anne of Green Gables (and anything else by L. M. Montgomery -- she wrote many more novels, but most people have only read Anne) has been my very favorite book since I first read it in 3rd grade, and I've read and loved many of those other books, as well.

I would also suggest:

Inkheart, by Cornelia Funke
The Phantom Tollbooth, by Norton Juster
Half Magic, by Edward Eager

I love children's literature and think this is a great idea. I can't think of any more really discuss-able books off the top of my head, but I'll post again if I do!
Julie
BN Editor
MattW
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Nelsmom wrote:
Matt,

Let's not change the book but maybe we could put in a thread where people can mention other books that relate to the theme of the book we are discussing. That way the main discussion will not get so sidetrack as much. I don't know how others feel but it seems like that would serve the same purpose as the old community room threads did in the old bookclub forums.

Toni

This is a great idea, but since I've created the new thread for the July book, let's keep this thread as the suggestions discussion for future books. That way we all have a record of books that have been suggested - there are lots of good ones.

In case any of you haven't seen, I picked Bridge to Terabithia as the July book. I've begun the book and can't wait for all to discuss it!

Message Edited by Kevin on 06-23-2007 02:40 PM
Matt
Teens Editor, B&N.com
BN Editor
MattW
0 Kudos

Lehua85 wrote:
Dear Mat; I think that having a kids book of the month club, is wonderful. My granddaughter is ten and dyslexic but is making great strides in reading. She is very enthusiastic regarding becoming a book club member. I would like to enroll her in a kids book of the month club where, like an adults book club, she can choose the book that she would like to read. Any suggestions?

Thanks much, Doris

While this online kids' lit book club is for adults reading children's books, there may be a children's lit discussion at your local Barnes & Noble store - you may want to check that out. If they don't have one already in the works, you may want to suggest that they begin one.

FYI, your granddaughter may be interested in a young readers' series written by the actor Henry Winkler (the Fonz from Happy Days) called Hank Zipzer. If she hasn't discovered it yet, it's a fantastic series about a dyslexic child who gets into various situations at school, and Mr. Winkler is really behind it since he's dyslexic himself.
Matt
Teens Editor, B&N.com
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Lehua85 wrote:

Thanks much, Doris

There are many places that have summer reading programs. In our community our public library, some of the schools and recreation departments have programs for kids. Our library chooses a different theme every year and lots of fun ideas and guests to keep it entertaining, relaxed and enjoyable so the kids don't find it a chore. We did it every summer when our kids were little. Good luck, I'm sure she'll do great!
New User
kidlib
0 Kudos

Great Kid Reads

I think that people have suggested some great books for a kid book club but I have thought of a few more titles.

Half Magic by Edward Eager. The story of a family that finds a magic coin and all the adventures they have togeter.

Eager by Helen Fox. A family in the future have just purchased a new robot named eager.

All of a Kind Family by Sydney Taylor. A family of 5 girls growing up in New York city at the turn of the century
Frequent Contributor
PEGSmom
0 Kudos

Will adults who still love childrens/young adult book be allowed to join in the discussions? :smileyhappy: There are so many good childrens books out there that are great reads for adults too. When walking into a book store my first stop is the classic sections second is the kids section. But not only because of my kids, but because I love to browse and see what is out there. On my list to read this summer I have several childrens books on my list: Percy Jackson and the Olympians books one and two by Rick Riordan, The Tail of Emily Windsnap by Liz Kessler, Each Little Bird That Sings by Deborah Wiles, Princess Academy by Shannon Hale. But I would recommend Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell and The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi for group discussions. (If I am allowed to make suggestions since I am an older kid!)

Felicia
~ PEGSmom~
"It's our choices that show us what we truly are, far more than our abilities" Albus Dumbledore
"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Mark Twain
BN Editor
MattW
0 Kudos

PEGSmom wrote:
Will adults who still love childrens/young adult book be allowed to join in the discussions? :smileyhappy: There are so many good childrens books out there that are great reads for adults too. When walking into a book store my first stop is the classic sections second is the kids section. But not only because of my kids, but because I love to browse and see what is out there. On my list to read this summer I have several childrens books on my list: Percy Jackson and the Olympians books one and two by Rick Riordan, The Tail of Emily Windsnap by Liz Kessler, Each Little Bird That Sings by Deborah Wiles, Princess Academy by Shannon Hale. But I would recommend Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell and The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi for group discussions. (If I am allowed to make suggestions since I am an older kid!)

Felicia

Most definitely - in fact, this book club is aimed at adults reading children's books as well as kids who come to the board with a parent/teacher/guardian/etc. For child-only book clubs - those without any adults taking part - you should check with your local B&N store to see if any are happening.

These are great suggestions, too: Ah, so many books, so little time! I have kids' book discussion ideas for the next year or so!
Matt
Teens Editor, B&N.com
Frequent Contributor
PEGSmom
0 Kudos

Most definitely - in fact, this book club is aimed at adults reading children's books as well as kids who come to the board with a parent/teacher/guardian/etc. For child-only book clubs - those without any adults taking part - you should check with your local B&N store to see if any are happening.

These are great suggestions, too: Ah, so many books, so little time! I have kids' book discussion ideas for the next year or so!

OH WONDERFUL! I am so glad that I am not the only older kid that loves to read childrens books!
~ PEGSmom~
"It's our choices that show us what we truly are, far more than our abilities" Albus Dumbledore
"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Mark Twain
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Pegsmom,

You are not the only one because I do too.

Toni
Toni L. Chapman