Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Re: Kids Book of the Month?

PEGSmom wrote:
OH WONDERFUL! I am so glad that I am not the only older kid that loves to read childrens books!

I love to read them too and I have teenagers! This club has given me all kinds of great ideas and brought back fond memories. I had forgotten about Island of the Blue Dolphin. I enjoyed that so much as a kid.
Frequent Contributor
PEGSmom
0 Kudos

I love to read them too and I have teenagers! This club has given me all kinds of great ideas and brought back fond memories. I had forgotten about Island of the Blue Dolphin. I enjoyed that so much as a kid.

You know, I hate to admit this....but as a kid I did not love to read. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely loved going to the library and picking out books and reading them as soon as we returned home. But then later I would set the book down and find other things to do. So now I love to lurk around the childrens sections at book stores and libraries to see what I have missed and see what wonderful new creations are out there. As Matt said above...." so many books, so little time!" Now I just can't read enough!!!!!!
~ PEGSmom~
"It's our choices that show us what we truly are, far more than our abilities" Albus Dumbledore
"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Mark Twain
New User
bowlingmaniac300
0 Kudos

Matt,

I have enjoyed the Pendragon series, and the Uglies Trilogy[Uglies, Pretties, and Specials] by Scott Westerfeld. most of all my vote is for The Invention Of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick.
New User
Half_Blood_Princess
0 Kudos

I nominate Isabel of The Whales.

It is a book about a girl named Isabel who loves whales. she knows something special will happen to her, but she knows that it will not be fame or fortune, but something else. Her class goes on a whale watching feild trip, and she falls overboard. she becomes a whale and learns their ways. This is a story for children in grade 4+.
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

I recommend “George and Martha: One Fine Day,” by James Marshall.

Cute messages that would be good for an adult as well as a child. George the Hippo says to Martha: "If you love what you do, you’ll be very good at it too."

It won The Laura Ingalls Wilder Award for 2007

The award, a bronze medal, honors an author or illustrator whose books, published in the United States, have made, over a period of years, a substantial and lasting contribution to literature for children.
BN Editor
MattW
0 Kudos

bentley wrote:

Cute messages that would be good for an adult as well as a child. George the Hippo says to Martha: "If you love what you do, you’ll be very good at it too."

The award, a bronze medal, honors an author or illustrator whose books, published in the United States, have made, over a period of years, a substantial and lasting contribution to literature for children.

Thanks for the recommendation - this is a great book! The monthly book discussion is really aimed at novels for kids ages 10+, so the George & Martha book is a bit young to really discuss here. If you want to discuss the book, however, it's easy to start a new thread -- James Marshall's work is terrific, and other folks might to talk about it!
Matt
Teens Editor, B&N.com
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

MattW wrote:

bentley wrote:

Thanks for the recommendation - this is a great book! The monthly book discussion is really aimed at novels for kids ages 10+, so the George & Martha book is a bit young to really discuss here. If you want to discuss the book, however, it's easy to start a new thread -- James Marshall's work is terrific, and other folks might to talk about it!

Might do that, thanks. Admire his work for kids. Didn't realize the 10+ cutoff..missed in your intro note the word "novel"..lol.
Frequent Contributor
coreen222
0 Kudos

how about something by Kate DiCamillo. My favorite is THE TALE OF DESPERAUX, but I also just read THE TIGER RISING. I read it right after I finsished THE BRIDGE TO TERABITHIA and it was interesting to read them back to back as they had a lot of similar elements, but were done so differently. I just love the way DiCamillo writes.
New User
silverpelt
0 Kudos

MattW wrote:
Hi all-

With all of these great conversations about children's books, I'm thinking we should do a real kids' book of the month discussion. I'll take nominations/suggestions and then announce the children's novel toward the middle/end of the month. Then following month, we'll begin a discussion about characters, themes, etc. - folks can jump in at any time after they've read the book. (We'd of course keep the board open for other discussions and topics, too.) What does everyone think about that idea?

The greatest seris i have ever read is By Erin Hunter the Warriors the 1st book is Into the wild
~abbey~