Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Keirsten
0 Kudos

New series for a Magic Treehouse Fan

Hello!  My 9 year old son was a big fan of the Magic Treehouse series, but has read virtually every book and is reading at a higher level now.  What's a great "next series" in the same genre for a 9 year old boy?

Thanks!

Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

Re: New series for a Magic Treehouse Fan

Keirsten wrote:

Hello!  My 9 year old son was a big fan of the Magic Treehouse series, but has read virtually every book and is reading at a higher level now.  What's a great "next series" in the same genre for a 9 year old boy?

Thanks!

Keirsten:

How about "A Wrinkle in Time?"  It's not really about history, but it is a great book for that age.  Also, the "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" series seems to be quite popular for that age group, too, but I haven't read them so I can't speak to it specifically.

"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

The time-travelling/brother-sister storyline is pretty unique to Magic Treehouse, but you can also try:

The Maze of Bones (The 39 Clues Series #1) 

(up to about 6 titles in the series right now, I think there's going to be at least ten books in the 39 Clues series)

Pendragon 

(more along the SF/dystopia lines)

Gregor the Overlander (Underland Chronicles Series #1) 

(very popular with boys)

Chasing Vermeer 

(set in a Chicago suburb, three kids join together to solve an art-crime mystery, and there's secret codes and things to solve, Baillett has a website to check and see if you're right)

The Book of Three (Chronicles of Prydain Series #1) 

(Alexander based his Prydain Chronicles on Welsh mythological tales)

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

Oh, I nearly forgot!  I ready the Percy Jackson series over the summer and think it is quite educational in its own way, especially having a classical education in mind.

The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians Series #1)

The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians Series #2)

The Titan's Curse (Percy Jackson and the Olympians Series #3)  

The Battle of the Labyrinth (Percy Jackson and the Olympians Series #4), Vol. 4  

The Last Olympian (Percy Jackson and the Olympians Series #5)    

"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

These are great suggestions, Melissa and Ruth!  Thanks so much! 

Keirsten, I hope these ideas help!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Contributor
SallyRose
0 Kudos

My grandson, Sam is an avid reader and is 9 years old.  I have had fun reading stories that I pass on to him.  Tree House series was his favorite.

I picked up Waggit's Tale by Howe and he like it so I continued with Waggit Again.

Next we tried some of the adult authors writing YA books.

Jake Ranson by Rollins

Maze Runner by James Dashner (had a hard time putting it down)

and a big favorite was The Crossroads and the Hanging Hill by Chris Grabenstein.

Carl Hiaasen also has a series that I have not read.

He seems to be a mystery reader like his grandma which makes it easy for me.

My grandaughter, is a little harder.  I have bought her the Fancy Nancy, Agnes Rose, and June Jones books but she is just 6 years old so time will tell.

SallyRose
Frequent Contributor
love4books
0 Kudos

I too think the Percy Jackson books would be a good place to start.  They are much thicker than the Magic Treehouse books but my daughter absolutely loves them!  Also, the first book will come out in the movies I believe in February 2010.  He is also a good age to start the Harry Potter books if he hasn't already read them. 

love4books

Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I'm having reading issues with my son.   He's been getting into trouble lately at school, so he's grounded from everything but reading and workbooks.  He's starting to think of reading as that thing he does when he's in trouble.  I'm thinking of grounding him from reading, too, just to make it positive again.  Any suggestions?!

He's 7 and reading at a 4th grade level, but I'm not really worried about the reading level - I figure the more fun it is, the more likely he is to stick to it.  He loves Berenstein Bears.  He read Nate the Great (Nate the Great Series)  but he read it in about 2 minutes and complained it was too easy.  He can read a Magic Tree House book in one night.

Any suggestions for a creative-minded (as opposed to sports, trucks or dinosaurs) boy would be appreciated!

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
Frequent Contributor
love4books
0 Kudos

It sounds as if you first need to figure out what is happening with school that is creating the problems with your son.  At this age there are so many reasons for trouble.  If your son isn't the type that is willingly open about things that are bothering him or his dislikes maybe you could look into some sort of science kit that just the two of you could work on together and try to get him to open up to you during the fun and educational activity.  If he isn't into science type of activities you could try a woodworking activity.  There are many types of woodworking kits just for kids.  My daughter loves building birdfeeders and birdhouses.  She wants to do a treasure chest next (lol, I am not ready to have my fingers pounded on with a hammer though when she misses the nail). 

love4books

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

basson_mommy12 wrote:

I'm having reading issues with my son.   He's been getting into trouble lately at school, so he's grounded from everything but reading and workbooks.  He's starting to think of reading as that thing he does when he's in trouble.  I'm thinking of grounding him from reading, too, just to make it positive again.  Any suggestions?!

He's 7 and reading at a 4th grade level, but I'm not really worried about the reading level - I figure the more fun it is, the more likely he is to stick to it.  He loves Berenstein Bears.  He read Nate the Great (Nate the Great Series)  but he read it in about 2 minutes and complained it was too easy.  He can read a Magic Tree House book in one night.

Any suggestions for a creative-minded (as opposed to sports, trucks or dinosaurs) boy would be appreciated!

Ruth--Is your little guy challenged enough, do you think?  If he's reading that far above grade level, he could be just bored, maybe?  I think I'd try taking him to the library and asking him to pick out books that "look good" to him, then let him have at it.  Let him roam around the shelves as he wishes.  He might choose something too old; too young, etc. as he experiments.  I'd let him take them home and see for himself what he finds.  After a few visits, he will learn where his own comfort level is, and it won't cost you a thing to let him learn this.  It will also empower him to choose his own reading.  Then, if he lands on a favorite series, etc. at the library maybe you could start rewarding him for more controlled behavior in school with his own copy of the next book in the series, another book on that topic, etc.  Maybe this would help keep the reading, which it seems he enjoys, a positive experience for him.  You could also read together when he has a good day at school, etc.  He might be a non-fiction reader--sometimes those interests get neglected a bit in the lower grades--there is a big emphasis on fiction for "book reports," etc.

These are just a few ideas that come to mind off the top--I'm sure you and your son's teacher will think of many more!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

You guys are so right!!  :smileyhappy:

It's a long complicated thing and my son is actually seeing a psychologist and a psychiatrist for a slight anxiety disorder, as well as ADHD/ADD type issues, but we're messing around with his meds cocktail.  I'm hesitant to punish him at all, but he has been hitting kids (totally related to the meds, I'm sure - it's completely out of character) and I can't just not punish him at all.  So I grounded him, but every day he goes without causing a scene at school, especially hitting a kid, he gets a day back.  If he gets a 100% on a reading test, he gets another day back.

He's been working on this program, Math Facts in a Flash, and he's completed the whole elementary school program... before the term break of 2nd grade... crazy!  His teacher tries to give him special things to challenge him, but with his mood disorder, he refuses to perform.  The way they used to manipulate him to perform was to allow him extra time on Math Facts, but now that he's finished it... well, there's a dillema in that.

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI