Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Newberry, Caldacot, and State Awards

[ Edited ]
Matt and Others,

Is there a website or someplace that lists all the past award winners and those nominated for upcoming awards. I know Bridge To Terabitha is a Newberry Award winner and I found A String In The Harp by Nancy Bond which is a Newberry Honor book. I am curious to know the others and to hear what others think of those books. Also do you feel they are the best of each years books or what makes them special to you.

Toni

Message Edited by Nelsmom on 06-25-2007 03:44 PM
Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
BN Editor
MattW
0 Kudos

Re: Newberry, Caldacot, and State Awards

[ Edited ]

Nelsmom wrote:
Matt and Others,

Is there a website or someplace that lists all the past award winners and those nominated for upcoming awards. I know Bridge To Terabitha is a Newberry Award winner and I found A String In The Harp by Nancy Bond which is a Newberry Honor book. I am curious to know the others and to hear what others think of those books. Also do you feel they are the best of each years books or what makes them special to you.

Toni

Message Edited by Nelsmom on 06-25-2007 03:44 PM

Hi Toni,

The Newbery & Caldecott Awards are sponsored by the American Library Association (ALA), and you can visit their website at http://www.ala.org to find all of the past winners.

The state awards are a different story - to my knowledge, they are sponsored by each state's library or educational association. You can check out this website, which seems to link to them all: http://www.cynthialeitichsmith.com/lit_resources/awards/stateawards.html

My question is, does anyone know if there is one source that sends alerts or announcements about state book awards and master lists? I've been trying to find one, but I think I may need to contact each state's committee separately.

Message Edited by MattW on 06-25-2007 05:18 PM
Matt
Teens Editor, B&N.com
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Thanks Matt I will check it out and I guess I was limiting the discussion to just the United States and I don;'t want to so I guess that if anyone has Award winners that they would like us to know about I'm interested because they sure don't get much publisity here in Utah which is a shame for a lot of great books.

Toni
Toni L. Chapman
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,083
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

The Carnegie Award is given in Britain to children's books (not sure if it's book in English, or by authors living in the Commonwealth, etc.) and is comparable to Cadecott and Newberry Medals.

The Coretta Scott King award is another great award that recognizes African-American acheivement.

Nelsmom wrote:
Thanks Matt I will check it out and I guess I was limiting the discussion to just the United States and I don;'t want to so I guess that if anyone has Award winners that they would like us to know about I'm interested because they sure don't get much publisity here in Utah which is a shame for a lot of great books.

Toni

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

pedsphleb wrote:
The Carnegie Award is given in Britain to children's books (not sure if it's book in English, or by authors living in the Commonwealth, etc.) and is comparable to Cadecott and Newberry Medals.

The Coretta Scott King award is another great award that recognizes African-American acheivement.

Nelsmom wrote:

Toni

Melissa,
Do you know if there is a website that list the winning books that is what I am looking for because I have many neices and nephews that are home schooling their children. Besides I'm interested myself.

Toni
Toni L. Chapman
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,083
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

You'll probably need to look each award up on Google. Even though the ALA awards some specific medals, they might have lists on their site as well.

Nelsmom wrote:

pedsphleb wrote:

Nelsmom wrote:

Toni

Melissa,
Do you know if there is a website that list the winning books that is what I am looking for because I have many neices and nephews that are home schooling their children. Besides I'm interested myself.

Toni

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
BN Editor
MattW
0 Kudos

Hi there,

The ALA gives out many annual awards, including the Newbery & Caldecotts, the Coretta Scott King Awards, Pura Belpre Award, Michael L. Printz Award, and the Theodor Seuss Geisel Award. You can find info about each of those on the www.ala.org website.

Other notable awards given out in the U.S. are the annual Boston Globe-Horn Book Awards, New York Times Best Illustrated Children's Books list, and the International Reading Association Choices lists. Also, there are various journals that review children's books and give out annual "best of" lists, including School Library Journal, Booklist, Book Links, Publishers Weekly, and The Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books. You can go to their respective websites and check out their annual lists.

As for international awards, I found a link to both the Carnegie and Greenaway Medals here: http://www.cilip.org.uk/aboutcilip/medalsandawards/CarnegieGreenway.

You'll also want to check out the Hans Christian Andersen award, sponsored by the International Board on Books for Young People: http://www.ibby.org/index.php?id=273.

Hope this helps!
Matt
Teens Editor, B&N.com
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Thanks everyone and I will pass on the information and check out some of the books I hadn't heard of before. Maybe I can convinmce our library to do lists and displays of the winners.

Toni
Toni L. Chapman
New User
Storylady
0 Kudos

Re: Newbery, Caldecott, and State Awards

Hello Toni,
Take a look at the website below:

http://www.ucalgary.ca/~dkbrown/awards.html

This website links to sites of many awards for children books, such as:

International :example H.C. Anderson
Canadian: CLA book of the year
U.S. A. Links to complete Newbery & Caldecott Awards
British Awards: Greenaway
Australian Awards: Picture Book of the Year
New Zealand: Ester Glen Award
Children's Choice Awards
Best Book of the Year Lists
Also a Link to "Other Award Sites"

Arkansas has two awards each year: Arkansas Diamond (grades Kg-3rd) and Charlie Mae Simon (grades 4-6) Students read and vote on their favorite book from a nominated list.
I am sure other states have similar programs.

Hope this is helpful.
Storylady
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Thanks Storylady,

I guess someplaces annouce the new book awards and maybe they do in some schools do but then parents who home school do always have those resources. I get asked a lot because I love to read.

Toni
Toni L. Chapman
New User
Storylady
0 Kudos

Toni,

To find those book awards online, all I did was Google Childrens book awards, there were many sites listed. Finding great booksonline isn't difficult. The internet is an invaluable resource. Also, simply make friends with the children's librarian at your local public librarian. They love helping out people find great books. The one in our area is wonderful. To keep that wonderful friend on your side all you have to do is donate a book in honor of theeir great service. They would just love that and you!

Storylady