Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Percy Jackson: The Movie, The Book

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who goes to see this movie.  Have you read the book?  The series?  If so, how did you think the movie matched up?

I hear this series is popular with many of the same readers who enjoyed Harry Potter, and I'm just starting Book 1.

Thanks!

The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians Series #1) 

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33

Re: Percy Jackson: The Movie, The Book

We went to see the movie last night ("we" meaning some friends and a friend's two boys).  It's a really fun movie and I had a good time.

But...

There was quite a bit changed from the book (and changed far more than the changes made for the HP series).  I get the feeling that they may never make the next five books or, if they do, they're going to compress quite a bit of the storyline.  The older boy who came with us devoured the Percy Jackson series and at the end of the movie treated us all to a run-down of the things that were "not right" in the movie.  I remember being 10 and being disappointed when my favorite books turned into movies so I understood (he was pretty cute giving all the adults a lecture on why the book was better - we'd all read the book, too, so we humored him).  I've got a blog post in the hopper for The Lightning Thief.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

I've gotta chime in with Melissa_W on this... I thought it was a really fun movie and got enough RIGHT, but it is significantly altered.  I could be like the boy mentioned above and go on and on, but I always try to suspend judgement as much as possible and enjoy a film on its own merits.

I thought the actor, Logan Lerman, was a great choice for the role of Percy. Grover, played by Brandon T. Jackson, was great, too.  The special effects were really good, not great (except the use of water).  All the teenage boys out there will probably disagree, but I thought Alexandra Daddarido as Annabeth was too pretty.  Maybe I'm just jealous.

More importantly, my husband, Matt, has heard part of one book from the series while I listened on a road trip.  I'm not sure if it was "The Lightning Thief" or not, so he new the characters, but not much of the story in detail.  He really liked the film a lot.  He gave it 7/10 on IMDB.  I'd probably give it a 6.5.  The special effects are best experienced on the big screen.

"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Thanks so much, Melissa and Ruth.  I'm about 100 pages from finishing the book and hope to do that first, then get to the theater before the movie leaves.  It's funny how all the movie reviews keep comparing the movie to Harry Potter--I guess Chris Columbus being the director has a lot to do with that, but I can't help but wonder why a fantasy with a boy protagonist nowadays can't be judged on its own merits and not ALWAYS be compared to Potter.  There were so many fantasies written before that, and JKR uses many of the same "mythic hero" conventions that have been around for ages.  You'd think people think she invented them!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

ConnieK wrote:

Thanks so much, Melissa and Ruth.  I'm about 100 pages from finishing the book and hope to do that first, then get to the theater before the movie leaves.  It's funny how all the movie reviews keep comparing the movie to Harry Potter--I guess Chris Columbus being the director has a lot to do with that, but I can't help but wonder why a fantasy with a boy protagonist nowadays can't be judged on its own merits and not ALWAYS be compared to Potter.  There were so many fantasies written before that, and JKR uses many of the same "mythic hero" conventions that have been around for ages.  You'd think people think she invented them!

Oh, how true.  It's marketing at its most shallow.  I have to admit, though, the comparisons to Harry Potter drew me into the books, but the stories and Riordan's apparent love of mythology kept me involved.
"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Well, I've finally finished the book and have seen the movie.  The book was better, imo, but no surprise there!  Ha.  I think one of the problems with the HP comparison is that the "mythic hero" structure is pretty set, so any story that follows it while HP is still in pop culture's collective consciousness will make people think that any other hero story is just a rip-off of HP.  Not! 

Anyway, I'm wondering what some of you might think of the way they "aged up" Percy Jackson for the movie from the book.

Did making him and his friends older teens from the book where Percy is 12 work for you guys?  I'm not sure it did for me.   

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

Advancing the characters' age did make it more believable for kids travelling on their own.  Kids of approximately 16 years of age travelling alone are more likely than those approximately 12-13.

(It also allows me to think Logan Lehrman is gorgeous without feeling too much like someone's creepy aunt :smileytongue: )

ConnieK wrote:

Well, I've finally finished the book and have seen the movie.  The book was better, imo, but no surprise there!  Ha.  I think one of the problems with the HP comparison is that the "mythic hero" structure is pretty set, so any story that follows it while HP is still in pop culture's collective consciousness will make people think that any other hero story is just a rip-off of HP.  Not! 

Anyway, I'm wondering what some of you might think of the way they "aged up" Percy Jackson for the movie from the book.

Did making him and his friends older teens from the book where Percy is 12 work for you guys?  I'm not sure it did for me.   

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Melissa_W wrote:

Advancing the characters' age did make it more believable for kids travelling on their own.  Kids of approximately 16 years of age travelling alone are more likely than those approximately 12-13.

(It also allows me to think Logan Lehrman is gorgeous without feeling too much like someone's creepy aunt :smileytongue: )

Ha!  I read that a lot of people think Logan Lerman looks like Zac Efron, but I'm not sure I agree.  I guess I can see some resemblance.

I know what you give as a good reason for aging the characters "up" is what the director, Chris Columbus, said his reasoning was, too, for advancing the age (that, and the visual of those big monsters coming after a little kid).  Somehow, though, the story for me still had elements that would matter more to a younger kid than an older one.  I can't quite put my finger on it yet, though....

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Correspondent
cork_dork_mom
0 Kudos

On a simpler level I think the Percy Jackson books are compared to Harry Potter because they're written with a boy as the main character and I think they're appealing to boys.

There are tons of books written for teenage girls, but very few written for teenage boys.

cork_dork_mom
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

cork_dork_mom wrote:

On a simpler level I think the Percy Jackson books are compared to Harry Potter because they're written with a boy as the main character and I think they're appealing to boys.

There are tons of books written for teenage girls, but very few written for teenage boys.

Thanks, cork_dork_mom - And I think we could use more of them, don't you?

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]