Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Picture books

I have a lot of new grandneices and nephews coming this summer and am looking for picture books to use while they are visiting and maybe send home. So can anyone give me suggestions?

Toni
Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,085
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

Re: Picture books

Some of the newer books are really cute:
Fancy Nancy (and the second book, Fancy Nancy and the Posh Puppy)
Pinkalicious
Do Princesses Really Kiss Frogs and Do Princesses Wear Hiking Boots
Skippyjohn Jones (this is the beginning of a series of picture books - about 3 so far - centering around a Siamese kitten who imagines he's a Chihauha)
Marsupial Sue
The "Charlie and Lola" cartoon from TV has some picture books and activity books out that the booksellers at my store just love - But That is My Book, We Can Honestly Look After Your Dog and I Absolutely Must do Coloring Now among others

And then there are old favorites:
Alexander and Terrible Horrible No Good Very Bad Day
Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs
Corduroy and A Pocket for Corduroy
Guess How Much I Love You
Richard Scarry's BusyTown and Little Critter Series
The Eric Carle and Bill Martin, Jr., books (Brown Bear, Brown Bear, The Hungry Caterpillar, etc)
The Madeline books

Nelsmom wrote:
I have a lot of new grandneices and nephews coming this summer and am looking for picture books to use while they are visiting and maybe send home. So can anyone give me suggestions?

Toni

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
New User
nathansmom2003
0 Kudos

My four year old and his twin 2 year old brothers love Mo Williams books. Their favorite book is Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus. Calliou is another favorite and there are several books with Calliou as the subject. Where the Wild Things are is another favorite.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

How old are they? When my kids were little and we were pretty broke, I used to pick up Golden Books at stores, garage sales, library sales, etc. I still have a lot of them. They are all good stories and great illustrations.
BN Editor
MattW
0 Kudos

I totally agree - I grew up with lots of Golden Books around and still remember all the great stories. Tawny Scrawny Lion was the best!
Matt
Teens Editor, B&N.com
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

We have a lot of those but I was looking for new ones and the ages range from newborn to about 5 years. We have a big family reunion and I'm kind of in charge of prized for the children's games. That is why I'm looking for picture books. I don't have a lot of problems finding books for the older ones but I didn't know much about picture books and they are not well publisized on the web or tv.\

Toni
Toni L. Chapman
becke_davis
0 Kudos

There are Golden Books for young and old, and they are great books. Classics, really. You might also consider Dr. Seuss books, Sesame Street, and any of those "I Can Read" books. At that age, most kids love books. Even babies love board books, especially those that have pictures of other babies and/or animals. The thick pages make it easier for babies and toddlers to hold the book and turn the pages without worrying about tearing anything.
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Thanks Becke,

I will defineatly consider thos abd get what I can with the budget the family gives me. I thought that I would use books instead of candy of toys to encourage the reading.

Toni
Toni L. Chapman
becke_davis
0 Kudos

If you tell kids they are going to get books instead of candy, they will tell you they'd rather have candy. But while candy is gone in a minute, the stories will stay with them their whole lives. And maybe you will give them the book that will make them realize that books are not just boring homework but are the windows to exciting new worlds.
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

I don't plan on telling them what I'm giving away. I just know that from past family reunions that their was so much candy that I wanted to do something different. And I think that I will keep an eye on yard sales for pictures books since I have a couple of months to get the books. I think that if it is one they haven't seen before they won't care if it is new or used as long as it is still in good shape.

Toni
Toni L. Chapman
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Richard Scarry's books are timeless. I could spend hours looking at all of the details. Where's Waldo? is a bit annoying to me but those books and any that are similar were always popular with my kids. There's so much to look at. Sandra Boynton also has great books for little ones. We have several of her board books with great animal cartoons.
Contributor
jhamel06
0 Kudos

Cynthia Rylant is a fabulous children's author. Several of may favorites include:

Tulip Sees America
The Relatives Came
When I Was Young in the Mountains
Henry and Mudge (chapter book series)

I hope this is helpful

Jennifer
jhamel
BN Editor
MattW
0 Kudos

Nelsmom wrote:
I don't plan on telling them what I'm giving away. I just know that from past family reunions that their was so much candy that I wanted to do something different. And I think that I will keep an eye on yard sales for pictures books since I have a couple of months to get the books. I think that if it is one they haven't seen before they won't care if it is new or used as long as it is still in good shape.

Toni

Just FYI about picture books, you may want to check out Caldecott Medal winners (ALA's annual award for picture book illustrations) at the ALA website, and B&N puts up new releases on its Picture Book Wall every month (here on BN.com it's called the Picture Book Nook):
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/subjects/children/children_cds2.asp?PID=334

For younger kids, some of the great ones I've seen lately are Karma Wilson's Bear books (Bear Wants More, for example) and Doreen Cronin's "Diary" picture books (Diary of a Worm). Also, a very popular one that makes for a sweet bedtime book is On the Night You Were Born -- it reminds kids of how special they are to parents and is a surefire book to remember.
Matt
Teens Editor, B&N.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

My son loved the Henry and Mudge books. Another similar series is Nate the Great, about a boy detective.
Frequent Contributor
KristyR
0 Kudos

My kids love Henry and Mudge too. We also got two different books on tape of Nate the Great from B&N. There are 4 (or 6?) different stories on each one - we must have listened to them a hundred times during car trips.
New User
CarmenM
0 Kudos

Nelsmom wrote:
We have a lot of those but I was looking for new ones and the ages range from newborn to about 5 years. We have a big family reunion and I'm kind of in charge of prized for the children's games. That is why I'm looking for picture books. I don't have a lot of problems finding books for the older ones but I didn't know much about picture books and they are not well publisized on the web or tv.\

Toni

How about the "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" series ("If You Give a Pig a Pancake", "If You Give a Moose a Muffin", "If You Take a Mouse to the Movies")? They're great cause & effect, prediction, fantastic illustrations...and the older kids can create their own stories, or gather "stuff" to retell with the younger ones...i.e, cookies, milk, straws, scissors, brooms, mops, etc.
New User
Toni333
0 Kudos

If you are still looking for picture book, you should check out this new one titled Dancing with Dragonflies.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9781598582734&itm=1

It's a lovely story that can be appreciated by children and adults. The illustrations are wobderful and extremely colorful.
Contributor
JulieZ
0 Kudos

The Curious George, Amelia Bedelia, and Berenstain Bears books are all really wonderful picture book series. I also enjoyed Ding Dong Bing Bong and The Old Man Who Loved Cheese if you can find either of them. Of course, Dr. Seuss is always a great choice!
Julie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

My kids loved Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, too -- it's a clever book. Two others that come to mind that were favorites at our house were The Doorbell Rang by Pat Hutchins and When The Sun Rose by Barbara Helen Berger. Great pictures AND great stories. Sadly, I don't think either of these are in print anymore.

Oddly enough, one of my son's favorite "picture" books was a non-fiction book for kids about Crayola crayons and how they were made. He spent hours poring over those pictures!
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Harold and the Purple Crayon is an oldie but a goodie. I loved it and my kids loved it. The Little Critter books are really cute too and there is a book for every occassion in that series.