Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
ARock182
0 Kudos

Should we push kids to read????

Kids will learn over time that reading is good but should we push them to read if books and children aren't quite clicking. I believe we shouldn't but I need others opinions.
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Re: Should we push kids to read????

I learned from several studies that we should encourage them and not tell them what they should read but let them know that if they choose a book even if we think it is too hard or too easy for them that we expect them to read it no matter how long it takes them.  I know that it worked with my son and now he loves to read.  Also if we read to them and so them by example  of reading they will eventually start reading.

Toni
Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Frequent Contributor
weirdpanda3
0 Kudos

ok im a teenager and i dont know if you want my perpective but i dont think you should push kids to read.its something we want to choose to do i know i did
Frequent Contributor
peculiarbelle
0 Kudos

As much as I want my sister to read, the more I try to get her to read, the more she shys away from books. I buy her books that I think she will like, but that never works. Some kids just don't like to read. She loves to sing, my other sister is the artist, and I am the reader. We each need our own identities. Just let the child be who they are and like what they like, if they want to read, they will.
"But I don't want to go among mad people."
"Oh, you can't help that. Most everyone's mad here. You may have noticed that I'm not all there myself."
Frequent Contributor
HarleyLBennett
0 Kudos

If you want your children to read, you start by reading to them when they're still very young. My dad read to us every night when we were little. My brother, sister, and I are all avid readers as a result of this.
If you haven't been doing this, it might be more difficult to create an interest in reading. Don't force it on them.
Try books on tape while traveling. Listen to kid-friendly books rather than adult books.
Frequent Contributor
love4books
0 Kudos

I agree with HarleyLBennett.  The easiest way to get children to read is by starting young and read to them.  Make it fun and ask questions and let your children interact with the story while you read.  I feel reading is one of the most important things all children should do however, I am aware children are all individuals and not all will enjoy it.  I have a friend who never read to her children until her one was having so much trouble around 6th grade.  Unfortunately, this was a bit too late for this child and continually struggled throughout school and eventually dropped out. 
  It is a great feeling to see your children excel in reading and choose to read over watching tv!  There is so much you can learn from books and they can take you to so many wonderful and magical places.

love4books 
Author
Cynthia_Kadohata
0 Kudos

I read a lot when I was a child, but that was because I really enjoyed it.  WIth my son, I try to read to him but most of the time he doesn't like it.  He's going on five years old.  It was much easier to read to him when he was an infant.

Cynthia

Learn more about Outside Beauty.

Discover all Cynthia Kadohata titles.

Frequent Contributor
johanna49
0 Kudos

It is about encouraging children to read. Finding their interests and going with it. I am an elementary school  librarian. Every week Steven, a second grader, would have something that he would like to read. We would go to the online catalog and search for something he would like to read. He liked reptiles, so we looked for reptiles. I also helped many boys find sports biography. Boys may be more reluctant readers. Also try funny books. There are so many wonderful children's books. If you would like meto list some that a lot of children like. Please let me know.

Frequent Contributor
edzacktly
0 Kudos

I think that's a great point. Librarians are often the gatekeepers of kids' literary worlds. They see what's going in and out, and know what is most likely to spark a kid's interest.

Also, see the Andrew Clements post on summer reading. He has some smart things to say about making time away from the TV.
Zack
The Moderator
Frequent Contributor
Indigo-Dragonfly
0 Kudos

I think kids that like to read really expand their imaginations. The classics like "Winnie the pooh" and "The Little Prince" are a good place to start.

I wouldn't say "pushing", but making it fun!
Author
Cynthia_Kadohata
0 Kudos

I have to confess that I watched TV quite a bit when I was a kid.  I also did my homework while watching TV.  My mother was very lenient, and as long as we got good grades we could do whatever we wanted.  Getting good grades was her first priority with us. 

She had a set of Scientific American reprints, and she had us read those when we were eight and nine years old.  Of course we didn't understand what we were reading!  Still, she was a voracious reader and did manage to teach us to be readers as well. 

On a different note, my nephew, who read a ton when he was a younger kid, discovered gaming when he was a teenager.  When he was a senior in high school, all the seniors were required to give a talk to their class.  He gave his talk on why gaming is better than reading, and apparently a lot kids thought it was the best senior talk ever given. 

Learn more about Outside Beauty.

Discover all Cynthia Kadohata titles.

Frequent Contributor
love4books
0 Kudos

I bet the Seniors loved that speech Cynthia!  I must confess that I myself only like to read a few styles of books and am very greatful my daughter has a vast interest in many topics and styles...her drawback however is the way the cover looks (but that is a whole different topic)!
 Since I don't have any boys nor know any that like to read do you think the possiblity that as your nephew grew there weren't as many books published geared toward the older boy/teen?  While on our frequent visits to Barnes and Noble I have noticed that there doesn't seem to be as many titles that might appeal to an older boy. 
 love4books
Frequent Contributor
johanna49
0 Kudos

It is harder to keep boys interested in reading. One of my son disliked many of the books on the required high school reading lists. He was in the honor and AP English programs Now, he is a gamer and writes articles for gaming magazines. (He also has a regular job, too) So he is my writer. He has written since he could print. My younger son  discovered reading through an wonderful 8th grade English teacher. Also I am a librarian and my husband is also a reader and loves movies. So we also influenced his interests. He is my reader.
New User
garyg
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I as a teenager myself, do not feel you should push a child to read.
If he or she is pushed, they may not read in spite of you pushing them.
Encourage your child, but don't push them.
Of course, I signed up for this account because I personally like to read all types of books.
Some kid's do not hold the interest or attention span to sit and read a 500 page novel.
I was never pushed to read but, when I was three I was put into schooling, and I've always enjoyed school and homework assignments.
My parents never pushed me, even if I got bad grades...
Don't push your kid's because if you get angry with them for not reading, that is lowering their self esteem.

Gary G.

Message Edited by garyg on 06-22-2008 12:10 AM
Contributor
KristiGal09
0 Kudos

Nelsmom wrote:
I learned from several studies that we should encourage them and not tell them what they should read but let them know that if they choose a book even if we think it is too hard or too easy for them that we expect them to read it no matter how long it takes them.  I know that it worked with my son and now he loves to read.  Also if we read to them and so them by example  of reading they will eventually start reading.

Toni

I agree with this 100%! I have always loved to read, and my parents didn't have to push me at all but I have had a lot of friends who didn't enjoy reading but that was because their parents were controlling what they read. I think kids will read if they enjoy what they're reading and if they like the challenge or no challenge they are choosing for themselves.

Kristi
New User
jagfkb
0 Kudos

All I can say is thank goodness for such writers as Lemony Snicket, J. K. Rowling, and Michael Buckley! The most important thing is that the books which children read are interesting and geared towards them or their interests. I know myself growing up loved a good fantasy epic, as my brother loved books on Russia. With my daughters, I read to them at a young age many classics as the Golden Books, and one of their favorite series, the AlphaPets. If they didn't like a book, I'd borrow a new one, therefore developing their taste (mainly they loved fantasy epics, like myself). As they began to learn to read, I would try to let them read to me little by little.

At around 3rd Grade, I began reading books with them. Books like Harry Potter or The Series of Unfortunate Events were great, for the series element made them eager to read the next book. We then became somewhat of a book club as we moved our oldest into Middle School, and herself, her younger by two years sister, and I began to read the required reading for her school work together, coming together at the end of each book to watch the movie version (which they mainly hated). This not only helped our oldest to understand each book better, but it prepared our younger as well. I always made sure that after they finished homework, they read books which they enjoyed, such as the  works of Charles Dickens (Great Expectations being the family favorite).

Also, during the summer months, their Summer Readings were a race between my two daughters, who usually finished their books within one day. Then, we would read ever maturing works by the pool (Would you believe "The Da Vinci Code" with my daughters at ages 10 and 12?). Reading became an ever growing adventure together, and it was, and continues to be, the thing we shall always share. I certainly feel blessed to have had such amazing children who love reading as much as I do, and I feel the major thing was for them to see myself reading books, even when I wasn't reading to them, as my mother did before me. Rather than watching TV in the evening, they would find me in our house's library reading books. They even found that I was much happier than they were watching TV, and therefore turned to reading in the evening. So I really encourage all parents to do the same, and encourage them not with your commands, but by your actions.

New User
lifelongreader
0 Kudos

Absolutely not! Children learn and do as they see. Let them see you reading - and for boys they especially need to see the men in their lives reading. Show your love of reading and share your enthusiasm for reading and books. My daughters are 22 & 18. They are both lifelong readers. From day one my husband and I both read aloud to them. We took them to see children's authors. When we traveled in the car, we had books to entertain them. One daughter read over 30 books just traveling to the library, swim lessons, etc. during the summer of 3rd grade. Both still read whenever they travel to pass the time. We took our kids to the library often during the summers and always signed them up for the winter and summer reading programs at the library. We read to them every night at bedtime until they wanted to read on their own. They were granted an extra hour of staying up if they were in bed reading. I read children's books and shared my enthusiasm for a particular book or author with my children. We recommend books to each other. This worked not only with my own children to develop readers, but also with my students. (taught 1st, 3rd, 4th). It works for Oprah to get so many adults reading. May I suggest reading Jim Trelease's ReadAloud Handbook. Great source for book titles. May I also suggest Mary Leonhardt: Parents Who Love Reading, Kids Who Don't - How It Happens and What You Can Do About It. If your child is a reluctant reader, it is a matter of finding the right book, magazine, comic, newspaper, baseball cards - whatever - to get them to read. For one very reluctant 4th grade boy, it was information on the Internet about his favorite football players that finally got him to read that year. For another student, it was any book with her name in the title. Books should be what the child is interested in reading or you will turn them off to reading. Don't force a child to finish a book that they don't like. School reading lists should be comprised of a variety of authors and genres and students should be allowed to select books on the list that interest them. This does of course required more from the educator because they will have to read every book on the list. Books and reading should NEVER be used as a form of punishment! (You're grounded until you read this book and do a book report on it. Actually know a school counselor who did that to her child) Point is: surround your child with opportunities to read, surround your child with good books, and surround your child with people who share their love and enthusiasm for reading. Keep an open mind about what they read - it doesn't have to be a book - the goal is to have them read.
Frequent Contributor
stefanie_kennedy2000
0 Kudos

no you shouldnt.
Because then you make us mad and we wont read.
But thats with the kids who dont like to read.
&she thanks Jesus for the daises and the roses(:
-jars of clay
Author
Michael_Buckley
0 Kudos

The best way to get a kid to read is to have him or her see you reading. Too many parents don't have the time but it's necessary for a child's development. Why would a child read for pleasure if their own mom and dad won't do it? The other thing is we need to expand our definitions of what is a good book for a kid. I meet countless teachers and librarians who turn their noses up at comic book and Captain Underpants but if that gets a kid reading who are we to block that path. I like to think there are no such thing as reluctant readers - only reluctant adults. Break out the Spiderman and Captain America and see what happens.

Learn more about Tales from the Hood (Sisters Grimm Series #6).

Discover all Michael Buckley titles.

Contributor
morganlovesbooks
0 Kudos

ya maybe wesould push kids to read for school but onc theyget older they sould diside for themselves. but bi just a kid anyway.