Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Thanksgiving Books

[ Edited ]

Do you, your family, or school have favorite Thanksgiving books you'd like to share with us? 

Click here to find a listing from the Barnes & Noble.com online catalog.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Re: Thanksgiving Books!

Here are 2 suggestions, perhaps for a bit older children:

Thank You, Sarah: The Woman Who Saved Thanksgiving  by Laurie Halse Anderson, illustrated by Matt Faulkner.

and

Squanto's Journey: The Story of the First Thanksgiving by Joseph Bruchac, illustrated by Greg Shed.

Both books give a historical perspective on the holiday.  Anderson is currently a finalist for this year's National Book Award for her novel, Chains.  Bruchac is one of the most respected Native American writers working in the country today.

~ConnieK

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
PEGSmom
0 Kudos

I love the picture book by Cynthia Rylant simply titled  November .  I bought it a few years ago for one of my daughters, she happens to have a birthday right after Thanksgiving. You can imagine the taste and smells of this month while looking at the beautiful illustrations.
~ PEGSmom~
"It's our choices that show us what we truly are, far more than our abilities" Albus Dumbledore
"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Mark Twain
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

PEGSmom wrote:
I love the picture book by Cynthia Rylant simply titled  November .  I bought it a few years ago for one of my daughters, she happens to have a birthday right after Thanksgiving. You can imagine the taste and smells of this month while looking at the beautiful illustrations.

Thanks, PEGSmom--is this it?  It's called In November, but it is by Cynthia Rylant.
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
PEGSmom
0 Kudos

ConnieK wrote:

PEGSmom wrote:

Thanks, PEGSmom--is this it?  It's called In November, but it is by Cynthia Rylant.

Yes, that's it!  Its so beautiful!
~ PEGSmom~
"It's our choices that show us what we truly are, far more than our abilities" Albus Dumbledore
"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Mark Twain
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Re: Thanksgiving Books

Time to float this thread to the top again for us. 

What are your favorite Thanksgiving books to share with children and families?  Do you see any new ones you'd like to share?  Old favorites?

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

ConnieK wrote:

What are your favorite Thanksgiving books to share with children and families?  Do you see any new ones you'd like to share?  Old favorites?

My son is just becoming old enough to really understand concepts relating to Thanksgiving (7) and grasp more than eating too much turkey.  I excited to see any suggestions!

"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

basson_mommy12 wrote:

ConnieK wrote:

My son is just becoming old enough to really understand concepts relating to Thanksgiving (7) and grasp more than eating too much turkey.  I excited to see any suggestions!

Terrific, Ruth!  Here is a link to a listing of children's Thanksgiving titles here at BN.com--lots of ideas there!  I hope folks will point out some titles for us that they have enjoyed with their families, libraries, or classrooms as well.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Inspired Wordsmith
harleyhoney
0 Kudos

Here's a few that we've enjoyed.

Corduroy's Thanksgiving 

Arthur's Thanksgiving (Arthur Adventures Series) 

We Gather Together... Now Please Get Lost! 

Today Is Thanksgiving! 

The Perfect Thanksgiving 

Nancy and Bekah

"Somebody said they saw me swinging the world by the tail, bouncing over a white cloud, killing the blues."
Killing the Blues by Rowland Salley
Performed by Robert Plant and Alison Kraus on RAISING SAND