Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

The Graveyard Book: Your Impressions

What do you all make of the 2009 Newbery Medalist, The Graveyard Book?  Have you read it before?  Are you reading it now?  Let us know!
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Re: The Graveyard Book: Online Resources

Some of you may like to know that Graveyard Book author, Neil Gaman, has quite a presence online.  There's his website, here.

He maintains a website specifically for young readers called MouseCircus, here.

You can follow him on Twitter, here.

And he offers a "Video Tour" in which he reads from The Graveyard Book at different locations, here.  It's a pleasure to hear him read chapters from the book!

EnJOY!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Re: The Graveyard Book

I'd asked for this book for my birthday (Valentine's Day), and I got it!  I'm looking forward to reading it and will post when I do!

Has anyone else on the board read it? 

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
lilacbouquet
0 Kudos

I just read this book over the weekend! I thought it was excellent. The whole time I could picture it so well (perhaps it should be a movie? haha). I've just recently been getting into Neil Gaiman (Coraline, Stardust, and now Graveyard Book), and I absolutely love him.

I definitely want to recommend this book to everyone!! :smileyhappy:

- Emily
"The test of literature is, I suppose, whether we ourselves live more intensely for the reading of it." - Elizabeth Drew
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

lilacbouquet wrote:

I just read this book over the weekend! I thought it was excellent. The whole time I could picture it so well (perhaps it should be a movie? haha). I've just recently been getting into Neil Gaiman (Coraline, Stardust, and now Graveyard Book), and I absolutely love him.

I definitely want to recommend this book to everyone!! :smileyhappy:

Thanks for your comments, lilac!  I hope we'll hear from others as well who have read it.  If it's that visual, I can sense another movie deal might be on the horizon for Mr. Gaman.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Distinguished Wordsmith
PenelopeTX
0 Kudos

Happy belated, Connie! 

My turn on the library wait list finally arrived! I will be commenting soon. But, if it is as good as everyone feels, it may also wind up on my B&N wish list. 

PenelopeTX
Do NOT invoke my inner Mama Bear! (Credited to me)
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Neil Gaiman appeared on The Colbert Report March 16, 2009.
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear

ConnieK wrote:
Neil Gaiman appeared on The Colbert Report March 16, 2009.

Oh that was akward. Gaiman was trying sooo hard to be polite.

Distinguished Wordsmith
PenelopeTX
0 Kudos

I actually like him even a little better for his appearance. He was pretty straight-forward and not dark.
PenelopeTX
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

PenelopeTX wrote:
I actually like him even a little better for his appearance. He was pretty straight-forward and not dark.

Is that the first you seen of him? He's actually VERY funny and one of the warmest, effective yet modest speakers in a long time. There were some of his readings up on YouTube awhile back.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

PenelopeTX wrote:

Is that the first you seen of him? He's actually VERY funny and one of the warmest, effective yet modest speakers in a long time. There were some of his readings up on YouTube awhile back.

He was also dressed rather conservatively, for him (no leather jacket, etc.) on the show.  He is an active poster on Twitter and had informed his followers that his father just passed away last week.  He was just coming back to the states from the funeral in the UK, and he was scheduled to appear on Colbert!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Distinguished Wordsmith
PenelopeTX
0 Kudos

He sounds like a class act. Tigg, Connie, thanks for the info on how to find out more. I'll probably try to stay alert for more from this author.
PenelopeTX
Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

Re: The Graveyard Book: Online Resources

I have recently just started The Graveyard book and it really does get you from the first page doesn't it! I have a feeling I'm going to end up getting all of his work :smileywink:!

Thank you Connie, for the site Links! I will be checking out him reading the first 8 chapters!

Carmen

"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

carmen22 wrote:

I have recently just started The Graveyard book and it really does get you from the first page doesn't it! I have a feeling I'm going to end up getting all of his work :smileywink:!

Thank you Connie, for the site Links! I will be checking out him reading the first 8 chapters!

Carmen

You are most welcome, Carmen.  I hope you'll come back and let us know what you thought of the book!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]