Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Enderthexenocide
0 Kudos

The Inheritance Trilogy.... AKA Eragon, Eldest and Unknown

Eragon and Eldest were probably my 2 favorite books this year in my top 5! The descriptions of scenery and battles, the story line and the genius of the author are what make it wonderful! And if you have an imagination like me, you almost could think you were a third party documenting this!I am looking forward to the next book! Also please post your likes, dislikes and thoughts on the books and the future book!
New User
SafyreNorth
0 Kudos

Re: The Inheritance Trilogy.... AKA Eragon, Eldest and Unknown

Likes...The mix of Fantasy romance and Adventure.

Dislikes...the bad guys are Factory Standard. Ever heard of Original?

Likes...DRAGONS!

Likes...ELVES!

Likes...Murtagh(before he turned Morzan son and Inheritance)!!!

Dislikes...The books seem rather lofty. It just doesnt seem to be serious enough. I didnt get a feel for the war. It bored me.
Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
If I were a color,
I'd be a strange and dark blue hue.
B&N Bookseller
Thomas_T
0 Kudos

Everything is factory standard about these books, except for the preaching of Atheism, which honestly just bothered me. The Elves making the dwarves out to be bumbling fools because they had a religion, while the elves were scientific atheists just felt like the author was poking at anyone with a strong faith in anything other then science.
For the most part these books are your standard cardboard cutout fantasy, with nothing original. Heck, I spotted the "twist" ending of Eldest halfway through Eragon.

SafyreNorth wrote:

Likes...DRAGONS!

Likes...ELVES!

Dislikes...The books seem rather lofty. It just doesnt seem to be serious enough. I didnt get a feel for the war. It bored me.

"I aim to misbehave" Malcolm Reynolds Serenity
" To die will be an awfully big adventure." Peter Pan
Proud Cupcake Eater in service to the Dark Countess
"Live with Honor, act with Integrity, No Regrets"
New User
BookLoveBug
0 Kudos

SafyreNorth wrote:

Likes...DRAGONS!

Likes...ELVES!

I absoulutly agree! Eragon and Eldest are by far two of my favorite books, I would HIGHLY reccomend them to young readers =]
New User
LizzyGirl88
0 Kudos

ShadowCougar wrote:
Everything is factory standard about these books, except for the preaching of Atheism, which honestly just bothered me. The Elves making the dwarves out to be bumbling fools because they had a religion, while the elves were scientific atheists just felt like the author was poking at anyone with a strong faith in anything other then science.
For the most part these books are your standard cardboard cutout fantasy, with nothing original. Heck, I spotted the "twist" ending of Eldest halfway through Eragon.

SafyreNorth wrote:

Likes...DRAGONS!

Likes...ELVES!

You know...somehow I didn't even realize that! Thanks for pointing that out. Awesome books though.
Frequent Contributor
damonskyr
0 Kudos

A friend put it to me best. Eragon is basically star wars with dragons. I don't know, I haven't read eldest because after reading eragon, it became painfully obvious that the writer was young, just by his style. It lacks that spark of brilliance needed to keep a fantasy "factory standard".
The amazing thing about love is, despite all the annoying people writing songs and poems about how wonderful it is, it really is quite wonderful.
BN Editor
MattW
0 Kudos

damonskyr wrote:
A friend put it to me best. Eragon is basically star wars with dragons. I don't know, I haven't read eldest because after reading eragon, it became painfully obvious that the writer was young, just by his style. It lacks that spark of brilliance needed to keep a fantasy "factory standard".

Hi all! Just a quick word - it's been announced today that Inheritance Trilogy #3 will be out on September 23, 2008! Also, according to the publisher, the series will be expanded to include a fourth novel, so the series will be called the Inheritance Cycle.

Here's a quote from Christopher Paolini in the press release:
“I plotted out the Inheritance series as a trilogy nine years ago, when I was fifteen. At that time, I never imagined I’d write all three books, much less that they would be published” said Paolini. “When I finally delved into Book Three, it soon became obvious that the remainder of the story was far too big to fit in one volume. Having spent so long thinking about the series as a trilogy, it was difficult for me to realize that, in order to be true to my characters and to address all of the plot points and unanswered questions Eragon and Eldest raised, I needed to split the end of the series into two books.”
Matt
Teens Editor, B&N.com
New User
The-Dragon-Tamer-33
0 Kudos

I've only read the first half of Eragon because I got it at the library and didn't think about renewing it. The storyline was impressive. I like that dark wizards are called Shades, I think that's the best description of a dark wizard because they tend to hide their true colors until it's too late. I like the relationship between Eragon and Sapphira and how they communicate by hearing each others thoughts. I love dragons because of their tremendous magical and physical powers. I also like when Brom tells Eragon about the history of the Dragon Riders. Ive just started reading Eldest. I dislike the Raz'oc for their disembodyment of the villagers. I like how Roran tries to make more money just to look good in his girlfriend's eyes. I saw the movie Eragon before I read the first half of it. I think they took way too much out the book. That's all for me today. Take  it easy!     
John Hart
New User
Angelshimmery
0 Kudos

hi, you probably all know this but the 3rd book is called Brisingr.
Contributor
TheBookManiac
0 Kudos

I havent read The Inheritance seires yet, but it is very much on my "To Read" list.

I am wondering if many have seen the movie AND read the book? I havent seen the movie either and I am wondering if I should wait until I read the book before watching the movie? I figure someone that has seen the movie and read the book could tell me if it might spoil the book if I watch the movie first?

Thanks!

~The Book Maniac