Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Contributor
NKSTMo
Posts: 8
Registered: ‎04-04-2009
0 Kudos

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

My daughters love the Wizard of Oz movie, and I want to purchase the book for them.  I am wondering what version of the Wonderful Wizard of Oz is the best.  I am debating between the the annotated centennial version or the 100th Anniversary edition from Books of Wonder.  I would love any input as I would like to buy this as a gift for my daughter's very first day of school. 
Melissa_W
Posts: 4,124
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
Registered: ‎10-19-2006

Re: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

I'm assuming you want the original L. Frank Baum story.

 

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz 

 This one has the original Denslow illustrations.  It is a beautiful gift edition to keep for a very long time.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Annotated Wizard of Oz (Oz Series #1) 

 

 This is a really pretty hardcover, with the Denslow illustrations, that also contains many annotations and historical facts about the publishing history of The Wizard of Oz.

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (Sterling Unabridged Classics Series) 

 

If you're looking for a nice hardcover, but inexpensive, this is from the Sterling Classics series (but it doesn't have the Denslow illustrations, though).

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Wizard of Oz (Oz Series #1) 

 

This is a nice Puffin edition and is a good step into reading chapter books.

 

 

 

 

 

 

The 1939 movie was based on only the first book in the Oz series - there are 15 books in the series.  If you think your daughter would like to continue reading beyond the first book then you might consider getting an omnibus of box set:

 

The Treasury of Oz 

This single volume set is fairly inexpensive and should come with the original illustrations (Neill took over as illustration with book #2). 

 

 

 

 

 

Dover has also issued a series of inexpensive paperbacks of each of the Oz books running about $8-12 per book.


NKSTMo wrote:
My daughters love the Wizard of Oz movie, and I want to purchase the book for them.  I am wondering what version of the Wonderful Wizard of Oz is the best.  I am debating between the the annotated centennial version or the 100th Anniversary edition from Books of Wonder.  I would love any input as I would like to buy this as a gift for my daughter's very first day of school. 


 

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Contributor
NKSTMo
Posts: 8
Registered: ‎04-04-2009
0 Kudos

Re: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

Wow.  Thanks Melissa_W, you have given me even more to consider here.  I was originally debating between the first two you listed, as I would like to have a nice keepsake for my girls.  I might get more enjoyment out of the annotated version, but my girls are too young to appreciate the history of the author and the story.  It may also be too cumbersome for my 4 year old who is already reading.  I may have to take a trip to the local B&N.  I really appreciate all this wonderful information.

 

Kelly            

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

Yeah I gave the puffin edition out for Christmas last year to my niece. Was blowing her mind about how many movies were books first.
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
Posts: 5,472
Registered: ‎06-14-2007
0 Kudos

Re: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz


NKSTMo wrote:
My daughters love the Wizard of Oz movie, and I want to purchase the book for them.  I am wondering what version of the Wonderful Wizard of Oz is the best.  I am debating between the the annotated centennial version or the 100th Anniversary edition from Books of Wonder.  I would love any input as I would like to buy this as a gift for my daughter's very first day of school. 

Hello, NKSTMo, and welcome!  Thanks for your question! 

 

Melissa offers a variety of choices, but I'd also like to offer some things to possibly think about. 

 

First, you should know that the Wizard of Oz movie is quite different from the book.  You perhaps know that, but just in case you didn't know; you should expect differences in the story if your daughter loves the movie.  Also, I'd like to recommend that you think about what you want the book for--for example, do you want a copy to read together with your daughter?  Do you want one she can begin to read for herself?  Do you want a fine edition to commemorate this important day in her life that she can look through later as an adult and remember?  Do you prefer an edition that has the original illustrations by the original illustrator, or is that not important?  Do you care if it's abridged, or do you want to be sure you get the complete, original text?  Do you want color pictures, or are black and white illustrations ok?

 

You can always order both of the copies you mention at your local store and just purchase one of them. 

 

Another thing I'd like to point out is that it is the 70th year anniversary this year of the film version.  There will be a new DVD set of the film with additional features coming out in September.  I'll copy it, here.  I'm not trying to encourage you to purchase the DVD rather than the book (I'm a book person!), but it might be another thing to think about for the holidays, etc.

 

 

Wizard of Oz 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Whatever edition you choose, I think it's lovely that your daughter will have such a lovely gift from you for her library as she begins her wonderful adventure through school!  I commend you!  I hope you'll stop back once you've made your choice and let us know what you decided!

~ConnieAnnKirk




[CAK's books , website.]
Contributor
Darcy2163
Posts: 10
Registered: ‎07-30-2009
0 Kudos

Re: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

Hi NKSTMo -- In case you haven't seen it, the Classics Club just announced that the September book will be the Wonderful Wizard of Oz.  Now we will be joining you and your daughter in reading this classic!  :smileyhappy:

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
Posts: 4,389
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

As someone just mentioned, we are going to read the first Oz book in the Classics club next month.  It's great that this thread came up here at this time, as maybe we will get more people coming over and reading it with us!

 

As I posted in a thread over there, I am considering getting the whole series, but don't know much about the different editions available.  None of them is in stock at any of my local B&N stores, so I can't go see them in person.  Maybe this forum is a good place to ask the same question - is anybody here familiar with or able to recommend a good edition?  I would really like it to be illustrated, but I was unable to determine whether any of them have illustrations - I am under the impression they do not.  Here they are:

 

 

15 Books in 1 : I think the cover is really ugly on this one.  From attempts to do some research on the different editions, I found comments that there are no illustrations and that the type is very small.  However, it appears that there is a small entry by Baum at the beginning of each book, which gives some added perspective as to what he was thinking when he wrote it.  I don't know if any of the others has this.

 

 

The Complete Book of Oz: Prettiest cover.  I read a few comments that complained about a lot of typos and lack of proofreading.  One reader said that it had illustrations, but then someone else said that the latest edition did not.

  

The Treasury of Oz  :  I don't think I found any information about this one.  Melissa, you said that you think it has illustrations - what made you think so?  If it does, this is probably the one for me, but I was under the impression that it didn't.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

There are also editions in several volumes; one has 2, with 8 and 7 books in each, and another has 3 books per volume with 5 volumes total.  I think they would be more expensive, though, as would buying all 15 books individually.  I think I'd rather have them all in one, or just buy the one book that we are doing in the club.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Melissa_W
Posts: 4,124
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

This one seems to be more of a folio size which would be more practical for a children's book with illustrations as opposed to a quarto size.  That said, I've never actually seen this book in person so I can't vouch for sure (and none of the comments complained about no illustrations).


dulcinea3 wrote:

 

 

The Treasury of Oz  :  I don't think I found any information about this one.  Melissa, you said that you think it has illustrations - what made you think so?  If it does, this is probably the one for me, but I was under the impression that it didn't.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

There are also editions in several volumes; one has 2, with 8 and 7 books in each, and another has 3 books per volume with 5 volumes total.  I think they would be more expensive, though, as would buying all 15 books individually.  I think I'd rather have them all in one, or just buy the one book that we are doing in the club.


 

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
Posts: 5,472
Registered: ‎06-14-2007
0 Kudos

Re: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz


Darcy2163 wrote:

Hi NKSTMo -- In case you haven't seen it, the Classics Club just announced that the September book will be the Wonderful Wizard of Oz.  Now we will be joining you and your daughter in reading this classic!  :smileyhappy:

 


 

Indeed, we are!  I happen to moderate Classics as well, so come on over and join us next month! 

 

Thanks to Darcy and dulci for mentioning Classics here!

~ConnieAnnKirk




[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
Posts: 5,472
Registered: ‎06-14-2007
0 Kudos

Re: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz


dulcinea3 wrote:

As someone just mentioned, we are going to read the first Oz book in the Classics club next month.  It's great that this thread came up here at this time, as maybe we will get more people coming over and reading it with us!

 

As I posted in a thread over there, I am considering getting the whole series, but don't know much about the different editions available.  None of them is in stock at any of my local B&N stores, so I can't go see them in person.  Maybe this forum is a good place to ask the same question - is anybody here familiar with or able to recommend a good edition?  I would really like it to be illustrated, but I was unable to determine whether any of them have illustrations - I am under the impression they do not.  Here they are:

 

 

15 Books in 1 : I think the cover is really ugly on this one.  From attempts to do some research on the different editions, I found comments that there are no illustrations and that the type is very small.  However, it appears that there is a small entry by Baum at the beginning of each book, which gives some added perspective as to what he was thinking when he wrote it.  I don't know if any of the others has this.

 

 

The Complete Book of Oz: Prettiest cover.  I read a few comments that complained about a lot of typos and lack of proofreading.  One reader said that it had illustrations, but then someone else said that the latest edition did not.

  

The Treasury of Oz  :  I don't think I found any information about this one.  Melissa, you said that you think it has illustrations - what made you think so?  If it does, this is probably the one for me, but I was under the impression that it didn't.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

There are also editions in several volumes; one has 2, with 8 and 7 books in each, and another has 3 books per volume with 5 volumes total.  I think they would be more expensive, though, as would buying all 15 books individually.  I think I'd rather have them all in one, or just buy the one book that we are doing in the club.


 

Hmm.  I haven't seen any of these in person either, dulci.  I wish I had so I could help.  As I suggested above, you could order them through your local store and take a look at them.  I'm pretty sure you're under no obligation to buy them (but you should probably check your local store's policy on that first, though, to be sure). 

 

Since we've had many questions on an edition, I'm going to start paying more attention to them and see if I find anything else that might be of interest here or in Classics.

 

I do have the Annotated Wizard of Oz edited by Michael Patrick Hearn (the first novel in the series), in my collection and recommend it for serious (or fun) reading about the book as you read the book. 

 

 

Annotated Wizard of Oz (Oz Series #1) 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  

 

~ConnieAnnKirk




[CAK's books , website.]
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
Posts: 4,389
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

Thanks, Connie!

 

That Annotated edition looks lovely, but pricey.  I think I have narrowed it down to these three:

 

 

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (Barnes & Noble Classics Series) 

 

 

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (Oz Series #1) 

 

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (Oz Series #1)  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

They all appear to have the original illustrations, and the last two seem to be facsimile or anniversary editions.  I think they have all of the b&w and color illustrations.  I see that the B&N edition has original illustrations, but I don't know if it has all of them, and I doubt it has color illustrations.  On the other hand, in its favor would be the introduction and notes.

 

One thing that does not really help is that B&N tends to ignore editions and frequently will give the same description, etc. for multiple editions that do not all reflect that description.  Most of the editions are described as "Full-color facsimile of America's finest children's classic. Splendid adventures of Dorothy, Toto, the Wizard, Tin Man, and more. 143 wonderful original illustrations by W. W. Denslow. 23 color plates." - at least 30 different ones, including some audiobooks, many of which are obviously not facsimiles of the original.  This makes it difficult to figure out which editions are actually that, but I believe the last two above are.  I was even invited to "look inside" one, and when I did, it had a completely different cover from the edition I was on!  It can be very irritating.  Ok, sorry for the rant, but this is a pet peeve of mine regarding B&N.  When I'm trying to compare editions, it would help if the descriptions belonged to the editions.  This led me to buy a copy of The Water Babies once that was described as having the original full-color plates and being annotated, and received a very plain edition with no illustrations or notes at all, so I had to return it.  Since most of the editions had the same description, and none were in the store, I couldn't trust any of the other descriptions and ended up finding what I wanted on eBay - B&N's loss. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
Posts: 5,472
Registered: ‎06-14-2007
0 Kudos

Re: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz


dulcinea3 wrote:

Thanks, Connie!

 

That Annotated edition looks lovely, but pricey.  I think I have narrowed it down to these three:

 

 

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (Barnes & Noble Classics Series) 

 

 

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (Oz Series #1) 

 

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (Oz Series #1)  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

They all appear to have the original illustrations, and the last two seem to be facsimile or anniversary editions.  I think they have all of the b&w and color illustrations.  I see that the B&N edition has original illustrations, but I don't know if it has all of them, and I doubt it has color illustrations.  On the other hand, in its favor would be the introduction and notes.

 

One thing that does not really help is that B&N tends to ignore editions and frequently will give the same description, etc. for multiple editions that do not all reflect that description.  Most of the editions are described as "Full-color facsimile of America's finest children's classic. Splendid adventures of Dorothy, Toto, the Wizard, Tin Man, and more. 143 wonderful original illustrations by W. W. Denslow. 23 color plates." - at least 30 different ones, including some audiobooks, many of which are obviously not facsimiles of the original.  This makes it difficult to figure out which editions are actually that, but I believe the last two above are.  I was even invited to "look inside" one, and when I did, it had a completely different cover from the edition I was on!  It can be very irritating.  Ok, sorry for the rant, but this is a pet peeve of mine regarding B&N.  When I'm trying to compare editions, it would help if the descriptions belonged to the editions.  This led me to buy a copy of The Water Babies once that was described as having the original full-color plates and being annotated, and received a very plain edition with no illustrations or notes at all, so I had to return it.  Since most of the editions had the same description, and none were in the store, I couldn't trust any of the other descriptions and ended up finding what I wanted on eBay - B&N's loss. 


Yes; it is costly, dulci.  I was doing some other work with the novel at the time, so it was worth it for me to invest in it.  We'll be reading the newest B&N Classics edition over in Classics, as usual.  I know what you mean about the "bug" in the online catalogs.  I've seen the same problem on other online book retailer sites as well. 

~ConnieAnnKirk




[CAK's books , website.]
Contributor
NKSTMo
Posts: 8
Registered: ‎04-04-2009
0 Kudos

Re: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

I am thrilled to get such great feedback from everyone, and I am looking forward to participating in the Classics book club next month with this great book.  I did decide to purchase the Annotated version of the book for my daughter.  She and I will read the story together, and I hope that as she gets older, she can enjoy and appreciate the history behind the book and the author.  My intent is for her to keep this book for a very long time and to treasure it.  I do hope to continue to read Baum's other books with my daughter, as I have never read them myself.  

 

Kelly 

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz


NKSTMo wrote:

I am thrilled to get such great feedback from everyone, and I am looking forward to participating in the Classics book club next month with this great book.  I did decide to purchase the Annotated version of the book for my daughter.  She and I will read the story together, and I hope that as she gets older, she can enjoy and appreciate the history behind the book and the author.  My intent is for her to keep this book for a very long time and to treasure it.  I do hope to continue to read Baum's other books with my daughter, as I have never read them myself.  

 

Kelly 


Wait till you get to TickTok.

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
Posts: 4,389
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

[ Edited ]

Melissa_W wrote:

I'm assuming you want the original L. Frank Baum story.

 

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz 

 This one has the original Denslow illustrations.  It is a beautiful gift edition to keep for a very long time.


NKSTMo wrote:
My daughters love the Wizard of Oz movie, and I want to purchase the book for them.  I am wondering what version of the Wonderful Wizard of Oz is the best.  I am debating between the the annotated centennial version or the 100th Anniversary edition from Books of Wonder.  I would love any input as I would like to buy this as a gift for my daughter's very first day of school. 


 


This is the one that I got, and I agree with your assessment, Melissa!  This is a beautiful book (the hardcover).  Cloth-bound with the original cover art under the dust jacket, gilt-edged pages, emerald green ribbon bookmark, fully illustrated, with color plates.  And the dust jacket is beautiful, too - a rich, shiny gold.

Message Edited by dulcinea3 on 08-23-2009 08:41 PM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
Posts: 5,472
Registered: ‎06-14-2007
0 Kudos

Re: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz


NKSTMo wrote:

I am thrilled to get such great feedback from everyone, and I am looking forward to participating in the Classics book club next month with this great book.  I did decide to purchase the Annotated version of the book for my daughter.  She and I will read the story together, and I hope that as she gets older, she can enjoy and appreciate the history behind the book and the author.  My intent is for her to keep this book for a very long time and to treasure it.  I do hope to continue to read Baum's other books with my daughter, as I have never read them myself.  

 

Kelly 


 

Thanks for letting us know which one you got, Kelly!  I got mine out again the other day.  I'd forgotten what a big, heavy book it is, so I hope you and your daughter have had your Wheaties when you get ready to read from it!  Ha.  :smileywink: 

 

EnJOY--looking forward to sharing it with you next month in Classics!

~ConnieAnnKirk




[CAK's books , website.]