Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
avidreader2
0 Kudos

Re: What Were Your Favorite Books as a Child?

WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE!!!!! My all time favorite children's book. My dad bought it for me and brother when he got home from a long Navy trip. He read it to us alot, so I have good memories associated with that book.

The Chronicles of Narnia were the first fictional books I read upon my own accord, and really stared my love for reading, so those books also have a special place in my heart.

The "My Life As A... " books are also fantastic. They are hilarious, and really easy reads for kids. There are like a million of them and all of them made me laugh my head off as a kid.

And there is the infamous Captain Underpants books. The best things since sliced bread. My brother and I would sit and read them together on those long California summer days. Good times... good times. 

"When camping in Canada, do not wear fruity chapstick... you might get mauled by grizzly bears."
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Nancy Drew Series,Bobssey Twins..Then ,A tree Grows in Brooklyn,Agatha Christie,Harper lee,,,To Kill A mockingbird.......then when my daughter was born..all the Fairy Tales....She was Obsessed with The Chronicles  of nardia.....as  she grew,we read the same books at times,Harry Potter...This is great to post and remember.
Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Author
ConnieAnnKirk

Here's an article on CNN.com talking about the same subject!
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Distinguished Wordsmith
PenelopeTX
0 Kudos

Thanks Connie!
PenelopeTX
Do NOT invoke my inner Mama Bear! (Credited to me)
New User
0908-1974
0 Kudos

My favorite books were:

The Berenstein Bears, Harry the Dirty Dog, The George and Martha series, everything by Judy Blume and Beverly Cleary, Are you there God its me Margaret?, The Little House series, Anne of Green Gables, Louisa Mae Alcott's books, The Giant Jam Sandwich and many more.

Distinguished Wordsmith
PenelopeTX
0 Kudos

The Giant Jam Sandwich sounds fun! What was it?
PenelopeTX
Do NOT invoke my inner Mama Bear! (Credited to me)
Frequent Contributor
Fan4SFGiants
0 Kudos

Alexander And The Terrible,Horrible,No Good,Very Bad Day,by Judith Viorst
Bored,Nothing To Do,by Peter Spier
Oh,Were They Ever Happy,by Peter Spier
Reading For Pleasure

LTsypkin
Correspondent
JennGrrl
0 Kudos

My favorites were:

Johnny Tremaine by Esther Forbes 

Scary Stories series by Alvin Schwartz

Pippi Longstocking series by Astrid Lindgren

Mrs. Piggle Wiggle series by Betty MacDonald

Amelia Bedelia series by Peggy Parish

Ramona series by Beverly Cleary

Little House series by Laura Ingalls Wilder

Little Women series by Louisa May Alcott

The Secret Garden by Frances Hogsdon Burnett

There was also a book about Helen Keller that I read over and over and over, but I can't find it anywhere.  It was a chapter book, written for young people, and had the braille and manual alphabets in pictures at the end, but in searching for it, I can't seem to locate it on any book sites.

I'm sure I had more, but those came to mind immediately.

Contributor
Darcy2163
0 Kudos

My favorite series were:

• Mrs. Piggle Wiggle
  • Ramona, Beezus, Henry Huggins & Ribsy
  • Black Stallion
  • Little House on the Prairie
  • B is for Betsy (Carolyn Haywood)
  • Trixie Belden
  • Roald Dahl books

Also, whenever I went to stay with my Grandmother, her library had the Sue Barton (Helen Dore Boylston) and Cherry Ames series about nurses.  I LOVED Sue Barton and checked those books out constantly.  A few years ago I tracked down a few on ebay.  It was a sweet trip down memory lane. 

I owned at least two copies of each of my prized books during my growing up years as the first copy fell apart from all the reading:

• The Outsiders (to this day the book I have reread the most)
  • When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit (Judith Kerr)
  • Mr. Apple's Family (Jean McDevitt)
  • Are You There God, It's Me Margaret (I went to a Judy Blume reading in NYC last fall with my daughter and it was such a pleasure to meet her.  She was vibrant, funny and gracious).

New User
OhioBonny
0 Kudos

I spent one summer reading Gone with the Wind.

As a young child I read Grimm's Fairy Tales and the other fantasies of the 1950's.

Frequent Contributor
HarleyLBennett
0 Kudos

Anything by Albert Payson Terhune (i.e. Lad: A Dog) or Jim Kjelgaard (i.e. Big Red).
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

OhioBonny wrote:

I spent one summer reading Gone with the Wind.

As a young child I read Grimm's Fairy Tales and the other fantasies of the 1950's.

Welcome, OhioBonny!  You just reminded me of the summer I did the same thing with Gone with the Wind.  Thanks for that!
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

HarleyLBennett wrote:
Anything by Albert Payson Terhune (i.e. Lad: A Dog) or Jim Kjelgaard (i.e. Big Red).

My mother had some of her childhood books, including Lad: A Dog, and I read those when I was young.  I read many of the ones listed in this thread when I was in grade school.  Going way back as far as I can remember, I loved the Beatrix Potter books, especially Peter Rabbit.   

The World of Peter Rabbit   

The Little Golden Books (like The Pokey Puppy, The Saggy Baggy Elephant, etc.) and other series (one had an elf's face as the logo, I recall) that they sold in the supermarket, so I would beg for one as a treat.

A Family Treasury of Little Golden Books   

Fairy Tales - we had my mother's old Grimm's and Andrew Lang's The Red Fairy Book. 

The Red Fairy Book   

One larger-format book I had that I absolutely loved was called The Enchanted Egg.  I still have it and it's falling to pieces!  I was also given a large-format illustrated copy of A Christmas Carol by Dickens when I was about three or four, so that gave me an early love for his classic novels.  Early library books that I remember taking out over and over included

The ABC Bunny 

Georgie  
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Correspondent
plaidfroggie
0 Kudos

I loved a wide variety of books as a child.  Many have already been mentioned, though I don't know all the various poems and stories, my grandmother was a collector of Ideals magazines and I read a variety of poetry with her help when I stayed with her as a child and ran out of coloring books and library books.  I do remember vividly reading A Thanksgiving Memory and when I re-read it my junior year of high school I nearly burst into tears in class because my grandmother died my freshman year of college.  I liked the written for children biography series that my public library had, though I don't remember who they were published by now.  I also read the Littlles, Pippi Longstocking, loved the book Black Beauty and various others that are too numerous to list.

Unfortunately when I was first learning to read my mother refused to allow us to read anything by Seuss.  I didn't read his books until I was in the back row in my 6th grade English class and I read the children's books on his shelves while the teacher was boring us with diagraming sentences.  I knew the parts of speech because of Mad Libs so it was extremely boring information I had "played with", plus I was seated alphabetically and the two boys in the back row near me were so obnoxious I couldn't hear the teacher anyway.  I didn't really miss anything though since I aced all the English tests.  I loved the Seuss books and found the social messages that were packed into those short little children's books amazing.

I also discovered The Lord of the Rings in 6th grade because The Hobbit was on the agenda.  As a class we begged to be allowed to read the rest of the books, but we only managed Fellowship because he had to do the required books.  I don't know for certain whether my disgust for The Swiss Family Robinson was more than just how conveniently things were available for them to start their own civilization, or how much was resentment over not getting to finish the Rings saga, but I read the rest of them over the summer.  The next class got to read the whole Lord of the Rings set because our class did so well with the "adult" Fellowship.  I honestly didn't think that was fair!

While I feel that this might stray a bit from the topic, I would like to say something that confuses me.  I don't understand how schools (or at least mine) managed to encourage a love of reading in elementary school and middle school and then managed to ruin classics when you got to high school.  Sometimes I consider re-reading various things we were required to read without the "agenda" and for fun, but there are so many books that I have a desire to read I don't get around to doing it.  I am asking this because I don't know exactly why the love of reading skipped my cousin's kids.  I wonder if it was site reading or video games, or if they just weren't interested.  My reason for wondering is that my school district took my younger brother from reading occasionally for fun to an abject hatred of reading when he got a fresh out of college teacher his freshman year that started extreme pressure to analyze for literary devices.  For me that happened sophomore year and it was done in a narrow minded "this is the correct answer way."  Since reading is all subject to your own life experiences and personality the "there is only one right answer" approach pretty much ended me picking up a classic voluntarily again.

Correspondent
Permacav50
0 Kudos

I used to love Beverly Clearly and the Ramona/Henry Huggins books as well. The Mouse and the Motorcycle was another favorite from her. I remember the Mouse and the Motorcycle, Ralph S. Mouse, I want to say there were more in the series but I dont recall.

Oh yes, and Dear Mr. Henshaw.

Tales of a 4th grade Nothing, Superfudge and Shiela the Great by Judy Blume also graced my bookshelves in the early days of grammar school.

Sideways Stories from Wayside School was another favorite. That book was so bizarre but you had to love it. How can any book with kids being turned into apples and dead rats wearing raincoats possible be anything but good? :smileyhappy:

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Love these childhood reading stories--keep 'em comin'!
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
New User
DEWDT
0 Kudos

I grew up in England in the 60's. One of my favorite authors at that time was Enid Blyton. I think I read just about everything she wrote. I still have a few I must had had as gifts although most of my books came from the library.
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

DEWDT wrote:
 I grew up in England in the 60's. One of my favorite authors at that time was Enid Blyton. I think I read just about everything she wrote. I still have a few I must had had as gifts although most of my books came from the library.

Welcome, DEWDT!
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Correspondent
Permacav50
0 Kudos

Lol, oh wow I cant believe I forgot this book. Ironically enough when I was moving furniture and boxes to make room for a new bookcase I found my old copy of Charlottes Web. Man did I love that book as a kid I must have read it dozens of time. Didnt think the movie was too bad either but as usual the book was better.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Permacav50 wrote:

Lol, oh wow I cant believe I forgot this book. Ironically enough when I was moving furniture and boxes to make room for a new bookcase I found my old copy of Charlottes Web. Man did I love that book as a kid I must have read it dozens of time. Didnt think the movie was too bad either but as usual the book was better.

Permacav50--Have you ever heard E. B. White read Charlotte's Web in the audio version?  It's *wonderful!*  I highly recommend it.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]