Frequent Contributor
love4books
0 Kudos

Re: What Were Your Favorite Books as a Child?

[ Edited ]
As a small child my favorite book was One Kitten for Kim. It was one of those books that when children are starting to learn to read has pictures within the writing. Kim's cat had kittens and Kim wasn't allowed to keep them all. Kim set off through the neighborhood with a little wagon to give kittens away, however for each kitten that was given away Kim received a different pet so by the time Kim returned home the wagon was just as full as it started out but with lots of other little animals. It is no longer in print but was such a great book! I also remember liking Where The Wild Things Are and Mulligan Stew (or was it Soup). When I was older I liked anything written by Judy Blume. The Hardy Boys, The Box Car Children, Trixie Beldon books and the Hobbit were all favorites. love4books I forgot to mention a book called Little Witch. It was one of my very favorite however I can not remember the name of the author and it too is out of print. It is a chapterbook with either very little pictures or no pictures in it. It was one of my moms books she had when she was a kid. I remember the cover was green with a witch riding a broom on it.
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

love4books wrote:
As a small child my favorite book was One Kitten for Kim. It was one of those books that when children are starting to learn to read has pictures within the writing. Kim's cat had kittens and Kim wasn't allowed to keep them all. Kim set off through the neighborhood with a little wagon to give kittens away, however for each kitten that was given away Kim received a different pet so by the time Kim returned home the wagon was just as full as it started out but with lots of other little animals. It is no longer in print but was such a great book! I also remember liking Where The Wild Things Are and Mulligan Stew (or was it Soup). When I was older I liked anything written by Judy Blume. The Hardy Boys, The Box Car Children, Trixie Beldon books and the Hobbit were all favorites. love4books I forgot to mention a book called Little Witch. It was one of my very favorite however I can not remember the name of the author and it too is out of print. It is a chapterbook with either very little pictures or no pictures in it. It was one of my moms books she had when she was a kid. I remember the cover was green with a witch riding a broom on it.

Thanks for sharing this, loved4.  Isn't a shame when a book we loved as a child is out of print?  Hate that.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
B&N Bookseller
JL_Garner
0 Kudos

I was very fortunate in that my parents kept a lot of my childhood favorites, and I still have them today. Some of the more prominent ones:

• People, by Peter Spier
  • Professor Wormbog in Search for the Zipperump-a-Zoo, by Mercer Mayer
  • Cars and Trucks and Things that Go, by Richard Scarry
  • Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, by Judi & Ron Barrett (and don't get me started on that movie... :smileymad: )
  • The Berenstain Bears and Too Much Vacation (which came out shortly after our own worst vacation ever)
  • On Beyond Zebra, Scrambled Eggs Super, and How the Grinch Stole Christmas by Dr. Seuss

When I was a bit older and read on my own, I was a big fan of Encyclopedia Brown, Judy Blume's Fudge books, and Beverly Cleary's Ramona Quimby and Henry Huggins books.

Contributor
hestia
0 Kudos

You know I absolutly loved those American Girl Series. I glanced over them the other day for my neice and there are so many more added since I grew up. Makes me want to re read....

“My only advice is to stay aware, listen carefully and yell for help if you need it.”

Judy blume