Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

What are Your Kids Reading This Summer?

Let's share what our kids are reading this summer in this thread.  Lots of people come here for recommendations, so maybe they'll get some from this list.
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Correspondent
JennGrrl
0 Kudos

Re: What are Your Kids Reading This Summer?

My kids are really into the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books right now.  They've also been reading a lot of Judy Blume and Beverly Cleary.  Yay for going back to the books from when I was a kid!  :smileyhappy:
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Thanks, JennGrrl. It is nice to hear that both the "old" and new are getting read this summer!

How about others out there? Any kid favorite discoveries this summer?
Message Edited by ConnieK on 07-22-2009 05:57 PM
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
love4books
0 Kudos

It is hard to believe that summer is almost over!  The time goes way too fast for me.  I think I am the only parent I know that doesn't like seeing their child go back to school. 

This summer we haven't read quite as much as we have in the past but we seemed to be busy with so many different things this year.  Here is the list of 8 that we turned in to Barnes and Noble for our free summer reading book:

Pokemon Diamond and Pearl Adventure book #4

Wayside School gets a Little Stranger

The Tale of Despereaux

Mrs. Piggle Wiggle

No Flying in the House

Judy Moody Declares Independence

Little House In the Big Woods

Kit Learns a Lesson (American Girl book)

I can also say that she has been devouring her free book The Lightening Thief. She says it is really really good.  I was glad that she choose that one out of the group as I really thought she would like it if she gave it half a chance.  She has a thing if the cover doesn't look good or the title doesn't sound good she thinks it will be boring. 

In the midst of still reading we are on the second Harry Potter book and she has almost completed book one of The 39 Clues.  I can not keep up the reading with her anymore but I do still make it a point to try and read to her each night (as long as I can keep my eyes open but some nights that is only a few pages). 

I have read over 3/4 of The Tale of Despereaux and really do not care for it however my daughter said that it is really good at the end.  No Flying in the House was a really good story.  It was easy enough for second and third graders to read yet was really well written so that all ages would enjoy the story.  I wish I could find the other book the author wrote I think it had something to do with whales.  Everything that I could find I gather it is out of print.

My daughter doesn't like just reading one book at a time (drives me nuts) she also has Artemis Fowl, Hatching Magic and Inkheart started.  I have tried a couple of the Judy Blume books with her and for some reason she just can't get into them.

love4books

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

love4books wrote:

It is hard to believe that summer is almost over!  The time goes way too fast for me.  I think I am the only parent I know that doesn't like seeing their child go back to school. 

This summer we haven't read quite as much as we have in the past but we seemed to be busy with so many different things this year.  Here is the list of 8 that we turned in to Barnes and Noble for our free summer reading book:

Pokemon Diamond and Pearl Adventure book #4

Wayside School gets a Little Stranger

The Tale of Despereaux

Mrs. Piggle Wiggle

No Flying in the House

Judy Moody Declares Independence

Little House In the Big Woods

Kit Learns a Lesson (American Girl book)

I can also say that she has been devouring her free book The Lightening Thief. She says it is really really good.  I was glad that she choose that one out of the group as I really thought she would like it if she gave it half a chance.  She has a thing if the cover doesn't look good or the title doesn't sound good she thinks it will be boring. 

In the midst of still reading we are on the second Harry Potter book and she has almost completed book one of The 39 Clues.  I can not keep up the reading with her anymore but I do still make it a point to try and read to her each night (as long as I can keep my eyes open but some nights that is only a few pages). 

I have read over 3/4 of The Tale of Despereaux and really do not care for it however my daughter said that it is really good at the end.  No Flying in the House was a really good story.  It was easy enough for second and third graders to read yet was really well written so that all ages would enjoy the story.  I wish I could find the other book the author wrote I think it had something to do with whales.  Everything that I could find I gather it is out of print.

My daughter doesn't like just reading one book at a time (drives me nuts) she also has Artemis Fowl, Hatching Magic and Inkheart started.  I have tried a couple of the Judy Blume books with her and for some reason she just can't get into them.

love4books

Thank you for sharing your summer reading experience with us, love4!  I'm sure you've given some other parents out there some good suggestions.  You sound like you have a real reader on your hands in your daughter reading more than one book at once!

And, no; I can vouch firsthand that you're not the only parent who misses spending time with her children when they go back to school! 

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]