Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

What are your children's teachers reading/assigning to them in school?

What are your child's teachers reading to them in class or assigning them to read in school?  This could make an interesting list that might be of help to other teachers as well as parents.  I hope librarians and teachers will also feel free to post titles here.

Parents--when your child is reading a book for school, or having it read to him/her, do you get a copy and read with your child so you can talk about the book at home?

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Contributor
hestia
0 Kudos

Re: What are your children's teachers reading/assigning to them in school?

I am not a parent, but I help out my boyfriends niece with her English assignments and chat with her what she likes and what she doesn't in ways of class books. This summer we finished Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson and just loved it. It made me understand much more the feelings going on in the middle east between Pakistan and Afghanistan. It's readable too, not to preachy or boring, you really get caught up with the people and he helps.

In fact I enjoyed it so much I went out and bought the children's picture book version of the book. I couldn't help it!

“My only advice is to stay aware, listen carefully and yell for help if you need it.”

Judy blume
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

hestia wrote:

I am not a parent, but I help out my boyfriends niece with her English assignments and chat with her what she likes and what she doesn't in ways of class books. This summer we finished Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson and just loved it. It made me understand much more the feelings going on in the middle east between Pakistan and Afghanistan. It's readable too, not to preachy or boring, you really get caught up with the people and he helps.

In fact I enjoyed it so much I went out and bought the children's picture book version of the book. I couldn't help it!

Thanks for this recommendation, hestia.  Did your boyfriend's niece have this book assigned as summer (vacation) reading, or was she still in school over the summer?  Some schools go year-round; that's why I'm asking.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Correspondent
thaisra

I am not a parent, I am a student.Haha. My 8th grade Language Arts Teacher gave us a list of books we were going to read in the school year for us to purchase. So far, we have read The Giver By Loise Lowry, A Pocketful of Rye by Agatha Christie, And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie. After Christmas Break we are going to read Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck, The Call of The Wild by Jack London, and The Odessey by Homer. My mom has read a couple of those and we sometimes talk about them.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

thaisra wrote:

I am not a parent, I am a student.Haha. My 8th grade Language Arts Teacher gave us a list of books we were going to read in the school year for us to purchase. So far, we have read The Giver By Loise Lowry, A Pocketful of Rye by Agatha Christie, And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie. After Christmas Break we are going to read Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck, The Call of The Wild by Jack London, and The Odessey by Homer. My mom has read a couple of those and we sometimes talk about them.

Thanks, thaisra!  That's a nice list!  Do you have a favorite so far from those you've read this year?

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Contributor
tiffany7marie
0 Kudos

I am not a parent, but Im going to school to become a teacher. I remember reading Go Ask Alice, I did not think it was very appropriate for the class because of other students. I have read in english classes, Of Mice and Men, A Seperate Peace, Tuck Everlasting, Romeo and Juliet. I  also read one about a boy who goes to a private school, he dislikes it leaves and gets a prostatute to lose his virginity. I do not remember the title to that one though. Thats all I can remember from High School.

In middle school we read Because Of Wind Dixi, The Littles, The Boxcar Children, Hamlet, Fudge, and Holes. I also read Maniac Magee in middle school and I thought it was the best book ever. I still read it now. I aslo plan on using it in my classes when I get my degree and a job.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

tiffany7marie wrote:

I am not a parent, but Im going to school to become a teacher. I remember reading Go Ask Alice, I did not think it was very appropriate for the class because of other students. I have read in english classes, Of Mice and Men, A Seperate Peace, Tuck Everlasting, Romeo and Juliet. I  also read one about a boy who goes to a private school, he dislikes it leaves and gets a prostatute to lose his virginity. I do not remember the title to that one though. Thats all I can remember from High School.

In middle school we read Because Of Wind Dixi, The Littles, The Boxcar Children, Hamlet, Fudge, and Holes. I also read Maniac Magee in middle school and I thought it was the best book ever. I still read it now. I aslo plan on using it in my classes when I get my degree and a job.

Thanks, Tiffany!  What grade levels will you teach?  Do you have a list of books you'd most want to be sure to include in your classroom or as part of your teaching?

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Contributor
tiffany7marie
0 Kudos

I am going to teach from kindergarden to around sixth grade. I do not  have a list of books that i plan on using yet. That is why I came on here hoping I could find good options.

Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

The books that made the biggest impression on me from school:

Trouble with Miss Switch  I have read this, as well as Miss Switch to the Rescue   over and over!   And over!

I also read obsessively: Tales of a Fourth Grade NothingSuperfudge   and the whole Fudge line.

Next, I remember in third or fourth grade, reading 

Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH , which I was exposed to following Secret of NIMH  , the film.

Then, there was 

Island of the Blue Dolphins   and 

A Wrinkle in Time  .

"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Thanks for those titles, Ruth.  Do you remember which of those you particularly liked reading in school?  I'm wondering if it was the book itself, for example, or the way the teacher presented it, read it, worked with it in class, etc.?

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

Good question.  I don't honestly remember.  I remember reading NIHM in the library, so it might have been the librarian.  I remember reading the book and watching the film for Blue Dolphins.  A Wrinkle in Time was read as a class assignment, but I was so inspired by it, I think that was the first series I read, apart from Nancy Drew, which really didn't present any true serialization.  I think the reinforcement of book and then film always makes a big impression on me.  I draw connections and even deeper feelings about the stories.  This also happened when I finally read 

Gone with the Wind   in high school.  I read the book for fun because I loved the movie so much.

"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

Desperately trying to inspire my son with books that he'll really enjoy, we picked up 

Freckle Juice   which he really liked.  At the same time, we finished

The Boxcar Children (The Boxcar Children Series #1) .  He took both quizzes on the same day and did very well.   He's currently reading

The Chocolate Touch , which was recommended by his teacher.  He seems to like it, but keeps "forgetting" to bring it home, so it takes him forever to finish the book.  He could probably finish it in one night, if he'd just bring it home!

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

basson_mommy12 wrote:

Desperately trying to inspire my son with books that he'll really enjoy, we picked up 

Does he enjoy any they're reading in school, Ruth?

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

At school, he is able to read these books listed above, as well as Magic School Bus and Berenstein Bears, which he devours.  He tends to not be very good about paying attention when the teachers read to the class, so I don't know what they may be reading aloud. 

My son's second-grade class uses a primer of sorts - a text book collection of stories, such as "Toad and Frog are Friends," which was the first story of the year.  They use these to learn story structure concepts, vocabulary and parts of speech.  I can't remember what text it is.  They have a different story each week with tests on each Friday.  Victor seems to like these, but mainly because he always gets 100% on them. 

He has enjoyed all the books I listed above.  He picked up

Judy Moody (Judy Moody Series #1)    book from the library a week or so ago and is reading that with palpable enjoyment.

I'm pretty convinced he was depressed and lost some of his confidence, but he seems to be out of his slump now.  "Freckle Juice" was a real turning point for him.

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

basson_mommy12 wrote:

At school, he is able to read these books listed above, as well as Magic School Bus and Berenstein Bears, which he devours.  He tends to not be very good about paying attention when the teachers read to the class, so I don't know what they may be reading aloud. 

My son's second-grade class uses a primer of sorts - a text book collection of stories, such as "Toad and Frog are Friends," which was the first story of the year.  They use these to learn story structure concepts, vocabulary and parts of speech.  I can't remember what text it is.  They have a different story each week with tests on each Friday.  Victor seems to like these, but mainly because he always gets 100% on them. 

He has enjoyed all the books I listed above.  He picked up

Judy Moody (Judy Moody Series #1)    book from the library a week or so ago and is reading that with palpable enjoyment.

I'm pretty convinced he was depressed and lost some of his confidence, but he seems to be out of his slump now.  "Freckle Juice" was a real turning point for him.

Aw, thanks, Ruth.  I'm glad he's finding books he enjoys!  :smileyvery-happy:

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
New User
Evansmom99
0 Kudos

My son't 4th grade class is reading "The Island of the Blue Dolphins" and then are doing worksheet lessons that go along with the book. So far so good. I read about 5 chapters to my son since he was out sick. It seemed to be an intersting read.

Evan's Mom

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Evansmom99 wrote:

My son't 4th grade class is reading "The Island of the Blue Dolphins" and then are doing worksheet lessons that go along with the book. So far so good. I read about 5 chapters to my son since he was out sick. It seemed to be an intersting read.

Evan's Mom

That's a popular one in schools, Evan's Mom.  Is your son enjoying it?  What does he think of the "worksheets"?  I remember some 5th graders I knew just detesting them.  I knew one student who was an avid reader but just hated the thick packets of worksheets.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
New User
Evansmom99
0 Kudos

Connie,

Funny you mentioned that....yes he hates the worksheets! Way too much writing. They were done as of yesterday!! Yay. Now they have to take an ar test on it. I know he liked it because he always talks about the book and brings things up. I always act with wow! Like when he told me about the dog dying. I was sad.

Anna~