Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Wimpy Kid Series

What do you think of the recent success of the Wimpy Kid series of books?  This article in the New York Times describes the controversy surrounding the popular series among caring adults.  Do you have an opinion?  Are the books "dumbed down" for boys who are not that into reading?   Do they touch a nerve of truth?  Does their irreverent take on the world make them appealing or less appealing?
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Distinguished Wordsmith
PenelopeTX
0 Kudos

Re: Wimpy Kid Series

My eldest is a girl in first grade, where she is constantly encouraged to both write and draw in making her reports. I'm guessing the format of the Wimpy Kid series is very familiar to grade schoolers. The familiarity could comfort beginning readers.

Parents don't need to be afraid of books where the characters are flawed. They can use the opportunity provided by the book as a teaching moment. Read as a family and discuss what you read. Ask your child questions and discuss the answers.

I am actually planning to purchase the "do-it-yourself" Wimpy Kid journal for my daughter. It is like a journal but provides a starting place to help children come up with writing ideas. It provides places to both draw and write. 

PenelopeTX
Do NOT invoke my inner Mama Bear! (Credited to me)
Distinguished Wordsmith
PenelopeTX
0 Kudos

Addendum: I also want to mention that I worked the Scholastic Book Fair at my daughter's school and the Wimpy Kid series flew off the shelves. Children with cash of their own bought the books, but so did parents who were shopping with their kids.
PenelopeTX
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

PenelopeTX wrote:
Addendum: I also want to mention that I worked the Scholastic Book Fair at my daughter's school and the Wimpy Kid series flew off the shelves. Children with cash of their own bought the books, but so did parents who were shopping with their kids.

Interesting, Penelope.  I wonder why they are so popular?  Why does your daughter like them?  I've never looked through one, to be honest, but will take a look the next time I'm in my local B&N.
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Distinguished Wordsmith
PenelopeTX
0 Kudos

ConnieK wrote:
Interesting, Penelope.  I wonder why they are so popular?  Why does your daughter like them?  I've never looked through one, to be honest, but will take a look the next time I'm in my local B&N.
Actually, my own daughter does not really love them because the character is a boy (aren't we talking about that on another thread?). But the do-it-yourself one, the journal, where the drawings and story lines would be (almost) entirely her own, looks like a good buy to us.

PenelopeTX
New User
momRA
0 Kudos

Hi,

After hearing so much about the wimpy kid series, I bought it for my son who is going to be 9 years.  After reading it myself, now I'm having second thoughts whether to give it to him now or not.

-MomRa

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

momRA wrote:

Hi,

After hearing so much about the wimpy kid series, I bought it for my son who is going to be 9 years.  After reading it myself, now I'm having second thoughts whether to give it to him now or not.

-MomRa

Thanks, MomRa.  What gives you second thoughts?  I still haven't seen these books.
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I want to resurrect this thread since now the 4th Wimpy Kid book has come out this week.

Dog Days (Diary of a Wimpy Kid Series #4) 

4 million copies of this book were published!  That's a lot.

President Obama, visiting schoolchildren this week, said his daughters have read the books and enjoyed them. 

I've finally started reading these books.  I'm part-way through the first one, and I have to say, I've laughed out loud several times!  It's funny!  :smileyvery-happy:

What do others of you think?

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
B&N Bookseller
melissas
0 Kudos

I find the books to be absolutely hilarious, and frequently recommend them to parents of reluctant readers.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

So far, I'm somewhere in the 3rd book. I think the 1st book was the funniest, but there are still funny moments in the others I've read so far (imo).

These books are said to be selling very well--more than almost any other right now, if I read a recent Tweet from a book review editor right the other day.

What do you think accounts for such high sales of these books? Is is all "reluctant boy readers" who are picking these up? Doesn't seem like it would be with numbers that big.

Also, I'm wondering how these books differ from "graphic novels." Aren't they kind of the same thing? These are for younger audiences, maybe?  Or is it in a graphic novel that there is no "straight text" parts on the page--it's all done in balloons, etc. within the cartoon/drawing?

Does the WIMPY KID series encourage kids to read more "regular" books or send them looking for more graphic novel types of books, do you think?

Any teachers, parents, librarians care to weigh in with your observations?

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
love4books
0 Kudos

My daughter who is 10 and in the 6th grade loves these books! She can't wait to get the new one however I know she is getting it as a gift real soon so I have been trying to avoid the bookstore!  I personally haven't read this series.  I know my daughter thinks they are hilarious even though she knows some of the things in them are not "good".  I know I was really worried when she started reading and liked the Junie B. Jones series so much.  I thought she read them so often that she would start talking and acting like Junie B. however, that never happened.  She has read a few things out of different Wimpy Kid books that she thought was so funny, however I personally didn't find humor in it.  I figure that the books are geared more towards 8-13 year olds. 

love4books

Frequent Contributor
love4books
0 Kudos

I forgot to mention in my post that I was just helping sort through books in one of our school libraries and was really surprised to learn that The Diary of a Wimpy Kid series are in the Accelerated Reader program.  This is a type of program that schools in my area are using that has hundreds of books listed by reading levels for students to take computerized tests on after their reading.  I couldn't imagine taking a test over a cartoon style book. 

Other cartoon/menga books that my daughter loves reading is anything Garfield and the Pokemon menga series I think of Diamond and Pearl.  I know there are a couple different series of Pokemon out there but she is only interested in the one.  I sure wish they didn't cost as much as she has them totally read within 1/2 hour...$8- is a lot for 1/2 hour worth of reading.

love4books

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

ConnieK wrote:

Also, I'm wondering how these books differ from "graphic novels." Aren't they kind of the same thing? These are for younger audiences, maybe?  Or is it in a graphic novel that there is no "straight text" parts on the page--it's all done in balloons, etc. within the cartoon/drawing?

Correct in your second conclusion. There is except for possible intros no straight text in graphic novels.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

TiggerBear wrote:

ConnieK wrote:

Correct in your second conclusion. There is except for possible intros no straight text in graphic novels.

Yes, Tigger.  I think you wouldn't call WIMPY really a graphic novel, per se.  I'm comparing it to WATCHMEN, for example (NOT usually considered for the same age group, I should think!), and they're quite different.  WIMPY might lead up to graphic novels, maybe, for certain readers (or likewise to more textual novels for others).

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Greg Heffley, the "Wimpy Kid," is not what many parents might call a "role model" for their children.  What do you think of that?  Do young readers "get" what he's up to and just laugh at all his silliness, or do you think this character "encourages" poor choices in behavior among readers?  I'm thinking of things like how he cheats on tests, etc.

What do you think?

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
love4books
0 Kudos

My daughter just finished Dog Days and really enjoyed it.  She did comment though that this one didn't have as many funny things in it as the others did and hopes that the next book will be funnier.  I know she doesn't view Greg as a role model and views the books as pure reading entertainment.  

love4books

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

love4books wrote:

My daughter just finished Dog Days and really enjoyed it.  She did comment though that this one didn't have as many funny things in it as the others did and hopes that the next book will be funnier.  I know she doesn't view Greg as a role model and views the books as pure reading entertainment.  

love4books

Thanks for your daughter's review, love4books.  I did notice that the comedy has its ups and downs throughout the different books.  Thank you for her insights, too, that she "gets it" that Greg is not necessarily a role model.  Kids normally do understand irony, I think, more than many adults give them credit for.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]