Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

"The Playroom" -- OT (Off-Topic) Chat

[ Edited ]

Use this thread, everyone, for topics unrelated to children's and parenting books, or side discussions to those topics.

~ConnieK 

Message Edited by ConnieK on 09-10-2008 04:25 PM
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
love4books
0 Kudos

Re: "The Playroom" -- OT (Off-Topic) Chat

Hi Connie,

I must be blind or something but I didn't see an option for starting a new thread in this message board.  I saw the tabs for previous and next threads.  I had wanted to start a thread about newer paperbacks.

love4ooks

Author
ConnieAnnKirk

love4books wrote:

Hi Connie,

I must be blind or something but I didn't see an option for starting a new thread in this message board.  I saw the tabs for previous and next threads.  I had wanted to start a thread about newer paperbacks.

love4ooks

You click on "New Message" at the top left to start a new thread, love4books.  Let me know if you still can't find it.

~ConnieK

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
love4books
0 Kudos

Thanks Connie.  I think I have it figured out.  For some reason I thought there was a new thread within the off topic room.  But they are only on the main family forum page.

Since this isn't exactly about certain children's readings I will ask in here.  Is it my imagination or are paperbook books being made with thinner covers and sometimes thinner pages?  I have noticed this in particular with Scholastic Books as the publisher but there have been a few other publishers that I have run across this with. 

We just started purchasing the  Little House On the Prairie  books published by Harper Trophy.  We started this collection shortly before noticing a new edition with colored photos and my daughter wanted to finish collecting the edition we have started however, the newer edition appears to be printed on thicker paper.  We are very careful with all of our books not to open them too far and up until recently all the books look just like new.  However, the new books I have purchased the covers don't seem to stay closed and the binding just doesn't seem to be as tightly glued or something. 

I was just wondering if others have found this to be true too? 

love4books

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Re: "The Playroom" -- OT (Off-Topic) Chat - Paperback Covers

love4books wrote:

Thanks Connie.  I think I have it figured out.  For some reason I thought there was a new thread within the off topic room.  But they are only on the main family forum page.

Since this isn't exactly about certain children's readings I will ask in here.  Is it my imagination or are paperbook books being made with thinner covers and sometimes thinner pages?  I have noticed this in particular with Scholastic Books as the publisher but there have been a few other publishers that I have run across this with. 

We just started purchasing the  Little House On the Prairie  books published by Harper Trophy.  We started this collection shortly before noticing a new edition with colored photos and my daughter wanted to finish collecting the edition we have started however, the newer edition appears to be printed on thicker paper.  We are very careful with all of our books not to open them too far and up until recently all the books look just like new.  However, the new books I have purchased the covers don't seem to stay closed and the binding just doesn't seem to be as tightly glued or something. 

I was just wondering if others have found this to be true too? 

love4books

love4books--

Glad you've got the new thread thing figured out.  To change a subtopic within a thread all you have to do is add on to the "Message Subject" line or delete what's there and type in something new.  I've given an example above by adding "Paperback Covers" to the subject line.

I haven't noticed what you speak of in regard to the covers of paperback books.  When you mention Scholastic, are you perhaps talking about their book fair books (or those monthly classroom sale books--the ones you order through flyers)?  I chaired several Scholastic book fairs when my children were in school and sometimes I'd notice different weights and constructions of books there from how I'd see them in the bookstores.

~ConnieK

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
love4books
0 Kudos

Some Scholastic Books are bought through flyers and book fairs as I can't pass up some of those prices...99 cent books are great! :smileyhappy: I'd have to look through her room and bookshelves to see which ones I have recently bought from Barnes and Noble.  I know all the Little House books came from our local Barnes and Noble Store.  These were not published by Scholastic and really were the ones that started me looking closer at different paperbacks here and at the store. 

love4books

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Happy New Year to readers and families in The Family Room!
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Distinguished Wordsmith
PenelopeTX
0 Kudos

Hey everyone, what is your favorite cure for that feeling ... how to describe it ... when you want to be more than your job, more than your child's parent? What is your favorite activity that makes you feel like your old self?
PenelopeTX
Do NOT invoke my inner Mama Bear! (Credited to me)
Correspondent
Clippership14

I write, play the piano, make up a new recipe, or design a house plan. Anything to stretch my creative soul and remind me of the things I love to do by myself.

Distinguished Wordsmith
PenelopeTX
0 Kudos

Clippership14 wrote:

I write, play the piano, make up a new recipe, or design a house plan. Anything to stretch my creative soul and remind me of the things I love to do by myself.

Yay! Send me a new recipe, if one works great for you. That was a great answer. I love to jump into a book, but there is not always the quiet space needed. Thanks again. Anyone else have more to add?  

PenelopeTX
Correspondent
Clippership14
0 Kudos

Reading a book is a must. But--it's also something I do all the time with my kids so it's not so much thought of as "me" time. We just finished reading Nim's Island together. Can't wait for them to be older so we can read a wider variety of books.

As to recipes--do you like wontons?

Distinguished Wordsmith
PenelopeTX
0 Kudos

Clippership14 wrote: 

As to recipes--do you like wontons?

Yes! The whole household does. How was Nim's Island? Will you all also watch the movie? Thanks for your reply.
This makes me think of a new topic. Connie, I may try to start a new thread...

PenelopeTX
Correspondent
Clippership14
0 Kudos

Penelope, I'll PM you the recipe. :smileyvery-happy:
Distinguished Wordsmith
PenelopeTX
0 Kudos

Thanks Clippership! It looks great. 

Today was a healthy and literate day! We walked around a lake. I looked at ducks and sky. My daughters played with rocks and sticks (I was beginning to think kids could not do that anymore). My eldest became Atreyu from The Neverending Story by Michael Ende, and her stick became her bow and arrows, then a torch to light the way, then her horse. I got a great workout that did not feel like I was working out!

I lost my too-much-Mommy-work blues. 

PenelopeTX
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

PenelopeTX wrote:
This makes me think of a new topic. Connie, I may try to start a new thread...

Absolutely, Penelope--Members are always free to start new threads of discussion!  Go for it!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Re: "The Playroom" -- OT (Off-Topic) Chat: Twitter

If anyone here has gotten into "Twitter," I hope you'll come 'follow' me, here.  If you let me know you're from BN.com, I'll be sure to 'follow' you also!  :smileywink:
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk

Re: "The Playroom" -- OT (Off-Topic) Chat: Twitter

Just for fun, families--check this out this YouTube video!  Cheers me up, every time!  :smileyhappy:
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
love4books
0 Kudos

Re: "The Playroom" -- OT (Off-Topic) Chat: My B&N question

If I set My B&N page so the public can see is my email address also posted for others to view?

Thanks,

love4books

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Love4books,

No it is not shown when you set it to public.  If you have written a little blurb about what you like is and the books and music and movies that you like but nothing else that is personal.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

love4books wrote:

If I set My B&N page so the public can see is my email address also posted for others to view?

Thanks,

love4books

Nope, that's just for you to see! 
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]