Reply
Melissa_W
Posts: 4,123
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,083
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
Registered: ‎10-19-2006

Re: "The Playroom" -- OT (Off-Topic) Chat: My B&N question

Next to the options for public/private, there's a link "View My Profile as Others See It" - wehn you click on it a new window will open and you can see what your public profile page looks like to everyone else :smileyhappy:


love4books wrote:

If I set My B&N page so the public can see is my email address also posted for others to view?

 

Thanks,

love4books


 

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
Posts: 5,472
Registered: ‎06-14-2007
0 Kudos

Is this really necessary?

The topic of this post expanded, so it now has its own thread for discussion.

Frequent Contributor
love4books
Posts: 93
Registered: ‎09-18-2007
0 Kudos

Re: "The Playroom" -- OT (Off-Topic) Chat

  We sporatically visit our local library as we can usually find a good book on our shelves that we have picked up somewhere waiting to be read.  My daughter has issues with library books and the germs that come with them.  (The books in our library are very old and many have writing scribbled on them or food stuck on the pages).

  Today was one of those days we decided to go to the library to check out some books that have been on our wanting to read list.  I was so surprised to find that our library appeared to have cleared out their shelves.  When we looked into the electronic catalog system we found they no longer carry A Wrinkle in Time and Shiloh along with many others that I have seen in the past or one would think should be their.  I know that students in the school district read these two books at certain grade levels.  It was very disappointing to see. 

  Equally as disappointing was the response that I received when I asked if my daughter and I could volunteer after story hour to straighten the shelves and pick up books that are usually scattered about.  I was told that they do not like volunteers to help them.  My daughter asked me why the lady was so mean as the tone was not too pleasant. I actually couldn't give my daughter an answer as I was also taken back with the librarian's reply. 

  We live in an area where they are severely cutting back hours and staff to libraries and I thought this would be a wonderful way to help out.  I even explained that I worked in our school library for a couple of years and know how the books are shelved.

  love4books

Distinguished Wordsmith
PenelopeTX
Posts: 443
Registered: ‎11-20-2008
0 Kudos

Re: "The Playroom" -- OT (Off-Topic) Chat

That was odd. I can understand a hesitation to let just anyone shelve, since if it is done wrong it can really cause problems for them. But since you explained your qualifications it seems odd that they would reject your help. In any case, I am sorry that someone was rude to you. They could have declined your offer in a diplomatic manner if they felt strongly about not accepting volunteers. I hope you will not let this one bad-tempered person drive your family away from your library.
PenelopeTX
Do NOT invoke my inner Mama Bear! (Credited to me)
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
Posts: 5,472
Registered: ‎06-14-2007
0 Kudos

Re: "The Playroom" -- OT (Off-Topic) Chat

[ Edited ]

love4books wrote:

  We sporatically visit our local library as we can usually find a good book on our shelves that we have picked up somewhere waiting to be read.  My daughter has issues with library books and the germs that come with them.  (The books in our library are very old and many have writing scribbled on them or food stuck on the pages).

  Today was one of those days we decided to go to the library to check out some books that have been on our wanting to read list.  I was so surprised to find that our library appeared to have cleared out their shelves.  When we looked into the electronic catalog system we found they no longer carry A Wrinkle in Time and Shiloh along with many others that I have seen in the past or one would think should be their.  I know that students in the school district read these two books at certain grade levels.  It was very disappointing to see. 

  Equally as disappointing was the response that I received when I asked if my daughter and I could volunteer after story hour to straighten the shelves and pick up books that are usually scattered about.  I was told that they do not like volunteers to help them.  My daughter asked me why the lady was so mean as the tone was not too pleasant. I actually couldn't give my daughter an answer as I was also taken back with the librarian's reply. 

  We live in an area where they are severely cutting back hours and staff to libraries and I thought this would be a wonderful way to help out.  I even explained that I worked in our school library for a couple of years and know how the books are shelved.

  love4books


 

That is strange, love4.  Do you think the books have not been returned, and there is just no funding available to replace them?  That would explain why they're listed in the catalog but can't be found on the shelves.

 

About volunteering--I don't know why someone would be rude about that.  Maybe the person was having a bad day.  Working with the public can get to people sometimes, and if job security is under stress, well; I don't know.  None of it excuses being rude to the public, but it might help patrons understand.  One thought I had reading your post was that the person is worried about his/her job.  If volunteers did more of the work, maybe that would be less work for the person to do and make him/her more expendable. 

 

I agree that I hope the experience doesn't chase you away from your library or from supporting libraries.  They're so important and need all the help we can give them!  (maybe another librarian would have jumped at the chance to have volunteer help).  If you go another time and give it another chance, I hope you'll let us know how it goes.  I'm sure the library would not want patrons to leave feeling the way you did, especially your daughter--sheesh!

Message Edited by ConnieK on 04-07-2009 01:41 PM
~ConnieAnnKirk




[CAK's books , website.]
Correspondent
JennGrrl
Posts: 54
Registered: ‎04-23-2009
0 Kudos

Re: "The Playroom" -- OT (Off-Topic) Chat

This is completely off topic, but I wanted to say Happy Stepmother's Day to all of the stepmother's!  I usually just sort of laugh at the daily holidays, but this one is a good one, so kudos to all of you steps that help raise and mother children!!!!

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
Posts: 5,472
Registered: ‎06-14-2007
0 Kudos

Re: "The Playroom" -- OT (Off-Topic) Chat


JennGrrl wrote:

This is completely off topic, but I wanted to say Happy Stepmother's Day to all of the stepmother's!  I usually just sort of laugh at the daily holidays, but this one is a good one, so kudos to all of you steps that help raise and mother children!!!!


 

I never heard of that before, Jenn.  Is there a Stepdad's Day in June, as well?
~ConnieAnnKirk




[CAK's books , website.]
Correspondent
JennGrrl
Posts: 54
Registered: ‎04-23-2009
0 Kudos

Re: "The Playroom" -- OT (Off-Topic) Chat

Apparently, January 9th is Stepfather's Day. 

 

I have a daily calendar website I go to to see what holiday it is.  It lists off just about every holiday anyone even thinks to make up, but sometimes they're fun...like Tuba Day and No Pants Day...  Just happened to notice Stepmother's Day the other day.  :smileyhappy:

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
Posts: 5,472
Registered: ‎06-14-2007
0 Kudos

Re: "The Playroom" -- OT (Off-Topic) Chat


JennGrrl wrote:

Apparently, January 9th is Stepfather's Day. 

 

I have a daily calendar website I go to to see what holiday it is.  It lists off just about every holiday anyone even thinks to make up, but sometimes they're fun...like Tuba Day and No Pants Day...  Just happened to notice Stepmother's Day the other day.  :smileyhappy:


 

Thanks, Jenn.  With stepmom's day in May, it seemed to make sense they'd put stepdad's day in June.  Then again, who knows who picks these things! 

 

No pants day?  That's hilarious. 

 

Take care!

~ConnieAnnKirk




[CAK's books , website.]
Distinguished Wordsmith
PenelopeTX
Posts: 443
Registered: ‎11-20-2008
0 Kudos

Re: "The Playroom" -- OT (Off-Topic) Chat

Hey Jenn, can we have that web site?
PenelopeTX
Do NOT invoke my inner Mama Bear! (Credited to me)
Correspondent
JennGrrl
Posts: 54
Registered: ‎04-23-2009

Re: "The Playroom" -- OT (Off-Topic) Chat

So sorry...just didn't think about actually posting it...silly me...

 

Holidays 2009

Distinguished Wordsmith
PenelopeTX
Posts: 443
Registered: ‎11-20-2008
0 Kudos

Re: "The Playroom" -- OT (Off-Topic) Chat

Thanks!
PenelopeTX
Do NOT invoke my inner Mama Bear! (Credited to me)
Frequent Contributor
jessicaabruno
Posts: 176
Registered: ‎11-15-2006
0 Kudos

19 Kids and Counting

Watched the premiered of their latest special, last night.  Which was all how about this.  

 

How likely or unlikely will Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar go for #20 or more after that until she reaches menopause?  Especially, with what happen to Michelle and their latest kid (daughter).  At the same time others whom are like them as well.  What are the risks to her and baby/ies if she becomes pregnant again?  Why didn't they elect to have her reproductive parts removed or at least have her tubes together.  That goes for Jim Bob to get whatever men get done for that purpose or whatever called.  How about for Jim Bob and Michelle oldest Josh and his wife Anna as well?  That also goes for oldest kids of other couples whom are like Jim Bob and Michelle.  Whats in Josie's future hold for her, the family, etc. Others whom are like her and them as well.