Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Raven_Lunatic
0 Kudos

A Dance With Dragons forum pool

So it looks like George RR Martin's next book will be coming out within the three next geological ages or so.  Probably. Amazon thinks maybe 2013. God only knows what GRRM thinks his current estimated deadline is.

So my idea is this. Post your best guess (month and year) as to when ADWD is coming out. Winner gets full bragging rights, and a job at the Psychic Hotline.

I'll go with October 2009. Just because.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Re: A Dance With Dragons forum pool

October 17th, 2010.
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

i think he has run out of steam and is now milking the series. He has taken on plenty of other projects -- just not this one. Storm of Swords came out -- maybe eight years ago. The next was suposed to be Dances with Dragon, theoretically almost done when Feast for Crows came out. was suposedly the first half of the book because it was too long. The second half seems to be sitting on a shelf somewhere 95% done--forever. I think this is going the way of all these epics -- first three great then the rest going nowhere.

His "when he is going to get it published" and "why he hasn't finished it" rational has been about the same for years. I don't know when the last one was posted but it promised Dances with Dragons in fall of 2008. If you want to read the explaination: Update. He doesn't even update the "Update" often anymore. I suspect we will get the 4th book in at least three installment.

So my part of the pool will be that fall of 2009 we will get Dances With Dragons Part 2.

Message Edited by Nadine on 02-03-2009 09:47 PM
Frequent Contributor
lordfeyr
0 Kudos

I actually agree with you nadine.  I think we will see the next book by the end of this year.
Contributor
Qdaba11
0 Kudos

Holidays - 2009, his publisher is going to want to get it out there for what could be a really bad Xmas shopping season. Dec., maybe late Nov.

I agree w/ Nadine, too, these series are just being milked now, I was hoping this would be diff. than the WoT series... 

All about, the light of the midsummer shone green through the trees, it was another world -- that's what was promised...
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

You guys are all right with the season, I think. It seems to me that an October or November release would be the best – right before the holiday buying frenzy.
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Nadine
0 Kudos

Would you believe that "The Other Place" has Dance with Dragons listed for pre-order. The stats:

• Hardcover: 1008 pages
  • Publisher: Spectra (September 29, 2009)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0553801473
  • List Pric $30.00 
  •  

In the aftermath of a colossal battle, the future of the Seven Kingdoms hangs in the balance once again—beset by newly emerging threats from every direction. In the east, Daenerys Targaryen, the last scion of House Targaryen, rules with her three dragons as queen of a city built on dust and death. But Daenerys has three times three thousand enemies, and many have set out to find her. Yet, as they gather, one young man embarks upon his own quest for the queen, with an entirely different goal in mind.

To the north lies the mammoth Wall of ice and stone—a structure only as strong as those guarding it. There, Jon Snow, 998th Lord Commander of the Night’s Watch, will face his greatest challenge yet. For he has powerful foes not only within the Watch but also beyond, in the land of the creatures of ice.

And from all corners, bitter conflicts soon reignite, intimate betrayals are perpetrated, and a grand cast of outlaws and priests, soldiers and skinchangers, nobles and slaves, will face seemingly insurmountable obstacles. Some will fail, others will grow in the strength of darkness. But in a time of rising restlessness, the tides of destiny and politics will lead inevitably to the greatest dance of all. . .

Nadine
0 Kudos

And there may be a light at the end of the tunnel:

From westeros.org:

Book Six will be called The Winds of Winter. No information is known on it other than that George plans to have all the characters back together in one novel. Book Seven will be called A Dream of Spring and is currently planned to be the final book in the series.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

If this book does come out this year, I'll be surprised – excited but surprised...

Paul 

Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
0 Kudos

I still haven't even read A Feast For Crows yet.  It had been so long since I'd read the first three, that when it came time to read Feast I couldn't remember all the details that came before.  So I started rereading A Game of Thrones but then decided I'd rather read something I hadn't read before and moved on to the Malazan series.

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
B&N Bookseller
Brody
0 Kudos

Nadine wrote:

i think he has run out of steam and is now milking the series. 

I just don't get statements like this. If someone was milking the series wouldn't they be more inclined to push out more entries of a series at an increased rate? With a marked drop in quality? Now I do understand that many are frustrated at the interval between Feast and Dance, but come on, how is that milking?
I would also point out if you read through his last update, in the second to last paragraph he basically says he won't be updating this page for a long time, but that the moment the book is finished he will post. 
 A good essay that deals with this topic in a much more detail can be found here:
http://thewertzone.blogspot.com/2009/01/defence-of-dragons-part-1.html
http://thewertzone.blogspot.com/2009/01/defence-of-dragons-part-2.html 
Contributor
Qdaba11
0 Kudos

lol - that's how I felt, Jon, but decided to forgo the past books and try to get reacquainted w/ Feast.

Brody, I know what you're saying, I guess I just personally feel that the entire story may go 'off the rails' like WoT. That series dragged out to the point where nothing seemed to happen at all in a 700+ pg volume.

But, hey, these series belong first and foremost to their creators, so they can do whatever they want with them. We as fans can wait, and see...  

All about, the light of the midsummer shone green through the trees, it was another world -- that's what was promised...