Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

A Sneak Peek at the March Features

March is all about high quality, NEW epic fantasy.Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know all about George R.R. Martin and Terry Goodkind and Robert Jordan and Raymond Feist – and I love them all – but I've been searching for something NEW, a brilliant new author that I've never experinced before....

Well, in March we have two releases that have me literally salivating to read them:

1. Shadow Prowler  by Alexey Pehov (2/16/10) – Okay, here's a short explanation of why I'm so excited: Alexey Pehov is huge in Russia. His Chronicles of Siala series have been compared numerous times to Michael Moorcock's Elric saga and it has finally been translated into English.

The author's website (http://www.alexeypehov.com) is pretty informative and after a few minutes there, I'm thinking this series will be classic high fantasy.....

It'll be interesting to see if this Russian fantasy is markedly different from comparable american sagas.....

2. The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N.K. Jemisin (2/25/10) – I'm really fascinated by this debut author. She lives in Brooklyn and is a psychologist and political blogger. The Hundred thousand Kingdoms is the first book in the Inheritance trilogy and is being published by Orbit Books, a publisher that has been putting out simply spectacular fantasy lately....

Publishers weekly described the book thusly:

"Multifaceted characters struggle with their individual burdens and desires, creating a complex, edge-of-your-seat story with plenty of funny, scary, and bittersweet twists."

3. Pleasure Model (Heavy Metal Pulp) by Christopher Rowley (2/2/10) – We've already been discussing this release on another thread – Pleasure-Model-by-Christopher-Rowley – and it's just too interesting to pass up.

SF and noir fiction fused together in an illustrated novel – this is barely 250 pages and packed with illustrations, should be a fast – and hopefully – fun read!

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Bibliophile
Melhay

Re: A Sneak Peek at the March Features

You are making this hard on me again. :smileywink:  Both feature 1 and 2 sound like books I would really love.  I have had my eye on The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms lately.  I just may have to get this one and read it in March for your thread.  It really sounds good and I have heard really good things about it.  Although, Shadow Prowler sounds really good too.

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine

Melhay wrote:

You are making this hard on me again. :smileywink:  Both feature 1 and 2 sound like books I would really love.  I have had my eye on The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms lately.  I just may have to get this one and read it in March for your thread.  It really sounds good and I have heard really good things about it.  Although, Shadow Prowler sounds really good too.

I am considering The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms as well. Seems like it has an unexpected ending. That might make it fun to speculate on. A reviewer made this statement:

=============================

I'll go on record saying this--the last two chapters pack a wallop and poetic justice does not do what happens well enough. Its not quite the ending I expected for anyone involved to be honest. I think though you'd be hard-pressed to find a more perfect one for any involved.

===========================

There is also a teaser excerpt for the next book in the trilogy.

Nadine

One Hundred Thousand Kingdoms

I found the first chapter if anyon wants to sample it:

And this is an excellent Blog on the book.

Jemisin was a short story writer, as as you remember with Ken Scholes, short story writers write nice tight novels that go somewhere.

Nadine
0 Kudos

Re: One Hundred Thousand Kingdoms

Ah, another great Blog.

And another.

Paul, you may have found a real sleeper here.

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Hey Nadine!

I feel like we may have a discussion book to read?  Do you think you could be up to it?  If you are busy we can always see about picking back up later in the year.

Nadine
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Melhay wrote:

Hey Nadine!

I feel like we may have a discussion book to read?  Do you think you could be up to it?  If you are busy we can always see about picking back up later in the year.

Agreed, It is not in any store near me so I will order it tomorrow. Anyone else wants to join us?

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

GREAT Nadine!  I think the book comes out this month.  I am going to look for it and look closer at it to see if we want to do breaking points.

Pen - What about you?  Are you going to join us?

Anyone else care to join?

pen21

I'm in. Looks like a good one.

pen21

Melhay wrote:

GREAT Nadine!  I think the book comes out this month.  I am going to look for it and look closer at it to see if we want to do breaking points.

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

pen21 wrote:

I'm in. Looks like a good one.

pen21

Melhay wrote:

AWESOME Pen!

I looked into the book and it looks like the release date is 2/25, So I will have to make my rounds to the stores that weekend.

I still have to look into the chapter page numbers and such, if we want to do stops to discuss.  Its up to you all.

If we want to have stops, does Paul have any ideas on stops for us?

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Melhay wrote:

I'll totally hook you guys up. I'm to get to OHTK in the next week so I'll start the thread a little early and include breaks!
Paul
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
TiggerBear

paulgoatallen wrote:

March is all about high quality, NEW epic fantasy.Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know all about George R.R. Martin and Terry Goodkind and Robert Jordan and Raymond Feist – and I love them all – but I've been searching for something NEW, a brilliant new author that I've never experinced before....

Well, in March we have two releases that have me literally salivating to read them:

1. Shadow Prowler  by Alexey Pehov (2/16/10) – Okay, here's a short explanation of why I'm so excited: Alexey Pehov is huge in Russia. His Chronicles of Siala series have been compared numerous times to Michael Moorcock's Elric saga and it has finally been translated into English.

The author's website (http://www.alexeypehov.com) is pretty informative and after a few minutes there, I'm thinking this series will be classic high fantasy.....

It'll be interesting to see if this Russian fantasy is markedly different from comparable american sagas.....

So far I found them a bit darker. A few minor nuances lost in translation. But really good. And well people I know have been begging for Pehov to be translated. 

3. Pleasure Model (Heavy Metal Pulp) by Christopher Rowley (2/2/10) – We've already been discussing this release on another thread – Pleasure-Model-by-Christopher-Rowley – and it's just too interesting to pass up.

SF and noir fiction fused together in an illustrated novel – this is barely 250 pages and packed with illustrations, should be a fast – and hopefully – fun read!

Paul

And this should be fun. It's either going to bad or good. Every preview I've found on the art is top notch too. And if they can get this format to work it promices exciting things to come.

Nadine
0 Kudos

Here are more rave reviews:

Publishers Weekly

Convoluted without being dense, Jemisin’s engaging debut grabs readers right from the start. Yeine desires nothing more than a normal life in her “barbarian” homeland of Darr. But her mother was of the powerful Arameri family, and when Yeine is summoned to the capital city of Sky a month after her mother’s murder, she cannot refuse. Dakarta, her grandfather and the Arameri patriarch, pits her against her two cousins as a potential heir to the throne. In an increasingly deep Zelaznyesque series of political maneuverings, Yeine, nearly powerless but fiercely determined, finds potential allies among her relatives and the gods who are forced to live in Sky as servants after losing an ancient war. Multifaceted characters struggle with their individual burdens and desires, creating a complex, edge-of-your-seat story with plenty of funny, scary, and bittersweet twists. (Mar.)

Library Journal

When her mother dies mysteriously, outcast barbarian Yeine Darr answers a summons to the grand city of Sky from her grandfather, King Dekarta Arameri. Proclaimed one of three heirs to the throne of the Hundred Thousand Kingdoms, Yeine must learn the customs of the skyborne capital and its ruling elite before she succumbs to their treachery. Debut author Jemisin creates a mesmerizingly exotic world where fallen gods serve as slaves to the ruling class and murder and ambition go hand in hand. VERDICT An engaging heroine and a fresh take on traditional dynastic fantasy make this trilogy opener a delight for the fantasy reader and introduce a strong new voice to the genre.

Kirkus Reviews

Debut fantasy features an intriguing, well-drawn mythology. At first glance, the basic plot may seem standard: A young woman, narrator/protagonist Yeine Darr, is named heir to the Hundred Thousand Kingdoms, which plunges her into a power struggle with two rival cousins. But Jemisin's world-building and attention to detail raise this story to another level. In the novel's complex but well-defined universe, a war between the gods took place in the distant past. The losing divinities were punished severely and forced to become the slaves of mortal humans. Yeine's life becomes increasingly entangled with these subjugated gods as she navigates royal politics and tries to uncover the truth about her family history. Jemisin lavishes considerable care on her fictional universe, but she also creates a subtle, emotionally complex character in the thoughtful Yeine. Readers will definitely look forward to future installments of the projected Inheritance Trilogy. An offbeat, engaging tale by a talented and original newcomer.

paulgoatallen

Nadine:

All of the reviews aside, there are a few people that I know in the "biz" that when they highly recommend a book, I make it a point to read it. One Hundred Thousand Kingdoms is one of those books.

(Ahem, how cool would it be to have N.K. Jemisin visit the forum? Will we have another Scholian situation here?!?)

Paul

Nadine
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

Nadine:

All of the reviews aside, there are a few people that I know in the "biz" that when they highly recommend a book, I make it a point to read it. One Hundred Thousand Kingdoms is one of those books.

(Ahem, how cool would it be to have N.K. Jemisin visit the forum? Will we have another Scholian situation here?!?)

Paul

Are you promising us something here!?

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Nadine wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

Nadine:

Paul

Are you promising us something here!?

I just emailed Nora's agent, Lucienne Diver (also a great writer – remember Vamped?) so we'll see what happens....   I really think that this novel has the same "feel" as Ken's Lamentation. I'm excited!

Paul

Nadine
0 Kudos

This is N K Jamisin"s blog and she has posted the first three chapters of her book, One Hundred Thousand Kingdoms. I have ordered it but it may be awhile before it gets to me so this allows me the get a bit of a head start. I found this because I was curious as to when the second book in the trilogy might come out. Well, I haven't found out but she is working on the third book right now! I love these new writers. They don't make you wait forever for the next installment.

Read her blog. I enjoyed it. She is really funny and oiginal. I particularly liked her promotional ideas and her take on ancient mythology.

Ah, I found it. The second book in the trilogy will be out in Fall of 2010 and is called The Broken Kingdoms.

Nadine
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I found this interview with N. K. Jemiisin.

Some of it that refences her book directly probably will mean more when we get to read it, but I think  she makes some interesting statements that we will later be able to use as discussion points. I'll try to remember to move this over to the new thread.

pen21
0 Kudos

I ordered The Hundred thousand Kingdoms from Barnes and Noble today.

UPS is expected to deliver it middle of next week to me.

I tried the pick up same day thing Barnes and Noble has, but no store in my area had it.

Breaking up in sections sounds great.

Good luck!

Melhay wrote:

I looked into the book and it looks like the release date is 2/25, So I will have to make my rounds to the stores that weekend.

I still have to look into the chapter page numbers and such, if we want to do stops to discuss.  Its up to you all.

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Pen - After reading you ordered it online here and when you are to get it, I just ordered it here then.  I am looking forward to getting this one.

Paul - I don't think I have had the chance to tell you You are the Man lately.  So, You da Man!  Thanks for looking into the breaking points for us.  And if you can get the author WOW that would be soooooo cool!  I just hope Jemisin would enjoy the visit with our discussions. :smileywink: