Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

Re: One Hundred Thousand Kingdoms

I live in the Minneapolis/St.Paul area with lots of Barnes and Nobles.

Not one had this book in stock. Oh well, the online price was cheaper.

And Paul double ditto what Melhay said.

pen21

Melhay wrote:

Pen - After reading you ordered it online here and when you are to get it, I just ordered it here then.  I am looking forward to getting this one.

Paul - I don't think I have had the chance to tell you You are the Man lately.  So, You da Man!  Thanks for looking into the breaking points for us.  And if you can get the author WOW that would be soooooo cool!  I just hope Jemisin would enjoy the visit with our discussions. :smileywink:

paulgoatallen

BREAKING NEWS!

N.K. (NORA) JEMISIN WILL BE OUR GUEST THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE MONTH OF MARCH!!!!

Me, book photo

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Nadine

[ Edited ]

paulgoatallen wrote:

BREAKING NEWS!

N.K. (NORA) JEMISIN WILL BE OUR GUEST THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE MONTH OF MARCH!!!!

Me, book photo

You did "good," Paul! Nora is going to be loads of fun. I've been reading her blogs and interviews. She has a great sense of humor and puts an original spin on things. My book is on its way.

I think the reason that people have not been able to purchase her book at their local B&N is that it isn't due to be released until February 25. But Nora mentioned in her blog that some stores are shelving it early and, in the case of B&N, they are doing so in their online store only. So if anyone wants it earlier, best to order it online. But I'm sure it will be on the shelves at the local B&N stores on February 25. In the mean time, I'm reading the first three chapters that Nora generously provided at her blog (a printout of 26 computer pages).

Toni, is your library getting it?

Nadine

I started reading the sample chapters to The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms. By the second chapter I was totally hooked and now I have to wait for my book before I can move onto Chapter 4. In the beginning, at least, this is a bit reminiscent of Warbreaker. Girl, with royal blood, from an insignificant country suddenly finds herself called to the central city to live in a glorious palace at the center of the world where gods are held captive. She can never leave, she is totally alone, and she doesn't know who she can trust. But, in this book, she is thrust into mortal peril almost immediately.

Nadine

[ Edited ]

This is an interesting essay by Nora on post-feminism and the central character of her book, Yeine Darr. Here is a brief quote from it:

================================

The element in question is the background of my protagonist, Yeine Darr, who was born and raised in a matriarchal culture. I didn’t base this culture on any extant matriarchy (although if I had to slap a real-world label on her, Yeine’s home culture corresponds to that of the pre-Columbian Incans, who were probably matriarchal though with vastly different customs). And since Yeine spends the bulk of the story amid the more patriarchal culture of her estranged relatives, readers don’t see much of Yeine’s homeland. But her upbringing does shape her character in interesting ways. Yeine’s a bit of a chauvanist, see. Not an obnoxious one — but she does tend to casually assume that the men around her can’t take care of themselves, are more emotionally fragile than women, and generally aren’t much use outside of bed.

===================================

We have encountered characters like her in Elantris, Warbreaker, and Mistborn. It might be interesting to talk about and compare these female protaganist, especially when Nora comes on board. IN the meantime you might want to read the whole essay at Orbit. Nora just posted this essay yesterday.

Correspondent
MsReaderCP

Melhay wrote:

GREAT Nadine!  I think the book comes out this month.  I am going to look for it and look closer at it to see if we want to do breaking points.

Pen - What about you?  Are you going to join us?

Anyone else care to join?

I will join.  This will be only my second month here, so I won't be able to compare to all the other books you have read previously, but I'm up for discussing any other issues I can add to; I'm going to look for it in my BN tomorrow.  sounds exciting!!

pen21
0 Kudos

Great,

the more people the better the discussion.

That way we get more opinions.

Welcome!

pen21

MsReaderCP wrote:

Melhay wrote:

GREAT Nadine!  I think the book comes out this month.  I am going to look for it and look closer at it to see if we want to do breaking points.

Pen - What about you?  Are you going to join us?

Anyone else care to join?

I will join.  This will be only my second month here, so I won't be able to compare to all the other books you have read previously, but I'm up for discussing any other issues I can add to; I'm going to look for it in my BN tomorrow.  sounds exciting!!

Bibliophile
Melhay

MsReaderCP wrote:

Great to have you join in.  No need to worry about comparing to other books, we do that at times. But we like to discuss the stories, characters, and writing.  You should have fun with the book with us. :smileyhappy:

Melissa

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Correspondent
MsReaderCP

Thank you!  I am so excited.  I loved the first book I read for this club - Dragon Keeper.  Now I'm really excited for next month.  I have my book! My B&N had a few copies.  I had wanted to read the first book also, but my library is not even getting it!!  I'll have to buy it later, the problem with doing all new books is my library doesn't have them yet and I can only afford to pick one to buy.  I'm sure you all already know all of this - that is the only benefit I see to the in person club is that we could share our books and more of us would get to read the selections.   But back to Jemisin, I am so excited and you can count on me to DISCUSS! 

CP

dalnewt

Re: A Sneak Peek at the March Features

Went to the website and I'm definitely gonna read Shadow Prowler, gotta love a story about a thief who's placed in the unenviable position of having to save his country from invasion/war. Also, I'm looking forward to reading The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms (Inheritance Trilogy Series). It looks like a real winner with an intriguing/dangerous world and an intelligent/appealing protagonist.