Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

Re: ANTIPHON SNEAK PEEK: General Discussion

I may be reading more into character names then there are. :smileywink:

Recently I was thinking of the father son team of Remus and Renard. I connect Remus with Romulus and Remus who were brought up by a wolf and I think of Renard as a fox, maybe a "desert fox." Your subconcious serves you well.

Frequent Contributor
quiltedturtle1
0 Kudos

Unfortunately, I did not read the first two books in this series.  As a result, I found Antiphon somewhat confusing at the start, although it captured my interest to keep reading it and to go back and read the first two in the series.

dhaupt

OMG what a great novel

Ken Kudos

check out my review - here at B&N - plus I'll have it on my blog and all over the web later today.

Thank you for letting me be a part of this wonderful sneak peek, all the commentaries have been so informational and I can't wait until the next installment.

Nadine

[ Edited ]

Since there is a thread on memorable book covers, I would like to reopen the topic on the covers for the Psalms of Isaak. First Lamentation. Here are some covers:

I like the German one the best (the last one).

However the cover I would really like to see for Lamentation was the original artwork. The title and Ken's name, of course, would have to be on the bottom unless it was redone with more sky -- that I would really like! This tells it all and has a strong emotional appeal.

Oops! Artwork got a bit distored. Original.

dalnewt

[ Edited ]

Antiphon

Primary, Secondary and Other Noteworthy Characters

(Excludes all new characters introduced in Antiphon)

(Read in conjunction with Broad Historical Outline posted immediately below)

Neb (Nebios): Eighteen year old who was raised and educated in Windwir and witnessed the destruction of that city two years prior.

Jin Li Tam: Wife to Rudolfo the Gypsy King of the Ninefold Forest, mother to Jakob, the heir to the Ninefold Forest, and daughter of Vlad Li Tam

Rodolfo: Gypsy King of the Ninefold Forest within the Named Lands.

Jakob: Son of Rudolfo and Jin Li Tam, heir to the Ninefold Forest. The 'Child of Promise' to the Machtvolk Y'Zirites. 

Petronus: Last pope to the now disbanded Androfrancine Order.

Winters: Previous Queen of the Marshers, a people now known as the Machtvolk, full name Winteria bat Mardic the Younger.

Ria: Current Queen to the Machtvolk people, full name Winteria bat Mardic the Elder, worships the dead wizards of House Y’Zir and the advent of the Crimson Empress.

Vlad Li Tam: Current head of the numerous Tam family previously engaged in banking, shipping and directing the course of the Named Lands through persuasion, bribery, fraud, forgery and occasional culling of targeted individuals.

Charles: Arch-engineer previously assigned to the school of mechanical studies of the Androfrancine order now residing in the Ninefold Forest. Created Isaak and other mechoservitors from the designs and diagrams of Rufello, a long-dead scientist-poet. 

Isaak: A mechoservitor (metal man) created by Charles, arch-engineer of the now defunct Androfrancine order who sang out the Seven Cacophonic Death Spell resulting in the destruction of the great Androfrancine City of Windwir due to his scripting being altered by a mercenary apprentice.

Watcher: An ancient mechoservitor (metal man) suspected to date back to the time of the wizard kings.

Crimson Empress: A Y'Zir leader who has not yet been seen but is prophesied to form a union with the Child of Promise (Jakob) and heal the Named Lands.

Aedric: Commander of the Gypsy Scouts who serves Rudolfo. Assigned to lead a half-company of gypsy scouts who guard Jin Li Tam and Jakob.

Philemus: Second-in-Command of the Gypsy Scouts after Aedric.

Grymlis: Captain of the Androfrancine Grey Guard who serves Petronus.

Lysias: General currently engaged in creating a standing army for Rudolfo within the Ninefold Forest.

Renard: Previous guide to the Androfrancine order in the Churning Wastes. Presently engaged in guiding Neb within the Wastes.

Hebda: An Androfrancine archeologist who previously dug in the Churning Wastes. Mentor and presumed father to Neb who apparently returned to Windwir at the time of its destruction.

Rafe Merrique: Captain of the magick’d ship and crew of Kinshark. Primarily engages in clandestine missions for private clients and previously accepted many commissions from the Androfrancine popes.

Baryk: War-Priest and son-in-law to Vlad Li Tam. Widow of Rae Li Tam. 

Garyt: A Machtvolk guard who remains loyal to Winters and the ‘homeward’ dream of the Marsher/Machtvolk Kings.

Myr Li Tam: Daughter to Vlad Li Tam, one of his best and brightest.

Mal Li Tam: Grandson to Vlad Li Tam secretly brought up to worship the dead wizards of the House Y’Zir and the advent of the Crimson Empress.

River Woman: Herbalist physician and midwife of the Ninefold Forest who excels in earth magicks and serves Jin Li Tam and Jakob. Has taken Lynnae as an apprentice.

Lynnae: Nursemaid to Jakob, daughter of Lysias and apprentice to the River Woman.

Ezra: A Y'Zirite prophet who serves Ria and believes in the advent of the Crimson Empress. 

Meirov: Queen of Pylos, one of the Named Lands, whose son was assassinated by Y'Zirite Machtvolk assassins sent by Ria.  

Erlund: Overseer of the Delta States of the Named Lands.  

dalnewt

Broad Historical Outline

(Includes Historical Figures)

AGE OF THE YOUNGER GODS a/k/a THE MECHANICAL AGE a/k/a THE FIRST WORLD

The first civilization occurred during the Age of the Younger Gods. I believe that the Age of the Younger Gods spawned the technological marvels such as sunstones, firestones, the mechoservitors and other mechanicals. * Apparently a great cataclysm, presumably war, occurred between men and the Younger Gods, and the gods brought earth and water to the moon making the moon their refuge. (See Lamentation p. 131.) But, men followed the gods to the moon and exterminated them there with poison and plague. (See Weeping Czar, also see Canticle p. 371 where Neb looks upon the moon and is reminded of long ago war that had killed the last of the Younger gods upon that blue-green rock.)

*While speaking with Jin Li Tam, Issak states, “There was a time when there were thousands of us.  When Rufello drew up his Specifications and Observation of the Mechanical Age, he was working with the broken and discarded remains of mechoservitors found in the ruins of the Eldest Days, broken artifacts from the Age of the Younger Gods." When Jin asks when Isaak was built, he replies that his memory scrolls were replaced at least twice since his first awareness and that he has no record of those times. He continues saying that his first memory was Brother Charles waking him up twenty-two years, three months, four weeks, six hours and thirty-one minutes ago. (Lamentation p. 142.)

During an unspecified time following the Age of the Younger Gods but prior to the Czarist Empire, a scientist-poet named Rufello gave his life to the study of the treasures, tools and toys of the Younger Gods, wrote a Book of Specifications and Observations. (Canticle p. 233. Also see Lamentation page p.52and page 142.) 

AGE OF THE WEEPING CZARS OR CZARIST EMPIRE

The second civilization apparently arose during the Age of the Weeping Czars or Czarist Empire. Apparently the czarist empire existed for some time before weeping beset the czars. (Ken Scholes mentions that the czarist empire existed at least 4,000 years before the fall of Windwir) During that time the empire had ‘lacquered’ guns, small mechanicals such as birds and apparently some sort of electrical lighting; however, they were unfamiliar with mechoservitors. (See Weeping Czar.)

During the earliest days of the empire, a Czarist Lunar Expedition successfully built a ship that traveled to the moon in the company of the Lord Carnelyn. A lunar princess named Ameera, daughter to the Moon Wizard Raj Y’Zir, was captured on the moon and brought back where she was questioned to death in the basement of the Czar’s palace. She cried out in despair and hopelessness with her last breath, and the Czars were cursed to weep thereafter. Carnelyn wrote about his lunar experiences, but was eventually executed in secret by the government. A Lunarist movement arose around his Carnelyn’s writings that was viewed as subversive and eventually rigorously suppressed.

The last Weeping Czar, Frederico, came into possession of a crescent made of reflective silver metal confiscated from a Lunarist temple. He heard sounds of water and frogs from it and stopped weeping. Eventually he heard a girl’s voice. The girl identified herself as Amal, daughter to the great Blood Wizard Raj Y’Zir. They fell in love with each other, and eventually she attempted to travel to Frederico’s world by swimming the ‘bargaining pool’ located in a cave beneath her father’s Moon Tower. Frederico is removed from office because he warns of the Year of the Falling Moon, a prophesied time of invasion. Eventually, Frederico is believed when Raj Y’Zir communicates through the crescent asking to speak with the Czar. When the crescent is returned to Frederico, Raj Y’Zir states that Amal tried to swim the pool but was too young to know that her body could not survive. He states that for now her spirit resides with Frederico. Then, he says that the next time Frederico will hear him is from the sky above when he invades.

THE YEAR OF THE FALLEN MOON

Apparently, the Blood wizard invaded and subdued the Czarist Empire and other world governments/civilizations in retaliation for the death of his two daughters. Ken Scholes has referred to this period as the Wizard Wars.

THE OLD WORLD a/k/a THE AGE OF THE WIZARD KINGS

Little is known other than the Blood Wizard Xhum Y’Zir ruled the earth through his seven sons, the seven Wizard Kings. During this time the Wizard Kings kept small mechanical birds, made during an earlier time. (See Antiphon p. 38.)  Also, mechoservitors served the wizards along with gypsy scouts and Machtvolk servants.

A scientism movement arose, and P’Andro Whym was converted to it in boyhood. (See Lamentation p. 51.)  Xhum Y’Zir saw the scientism movement as a threat to his blood magick. (See Lamentation p. 53 and p. 51.)  Xhum’s sons, the seven Wizard Kings, challenged and later eradicated members of the scientism movement. (See Lamentation p. 51.) In retaliation, P’Andro Whym led scattered members of the scientism to eradicate the seven Wizard Kings. (Lamentation p.141 and p.50.)

Xhum Y’Zir shut himself in his palace for seven years and when he emerged he sent forth mechoservitors as death choirs to sing the spell of the Seven Cacophonic Deaths in all the civilized lands. (See Lamentation p.141 and Antiphon pp. 40-41.) Zhum Y’Zir sent his gypsies and his Machtvolk servants beyond the wall of the settled lands before he unleashed the curse. (See Lamentation p. 141. Also see Rise of the Named Lands material.) The curse turned the settled lands into the Churning Wastes 2,000 years before the fall of Windwir. (See Antiphon pp. 40-41) 

Xhum Y’Zir apparently died on the night he sent out the death choirs. (See Canticle p. 350.) P’ Andro Whym survived initially. (See Lamentation p. 72.)

AGE OF LAUGHING MADNESS

This period lasted 500 years and was marked by chaos, anarchy and 80% insanity. It lasted through four human generations. (Lamentation, p. 51.)  During this time the Machtvolk and Gypsies. (whom Xhum Y’Zir had sent beyond the keepers wall prior to unleashing his curse), had settled in the lands of the New World.

Fragments of correspondence between P’Andro Whym and the founder of the Francines, a monastic movement centered on the intricacies of the human psyche, led to the sects merging and becoming known as Androfrancines.  (See Lamentation p. 35.)  

P’Andro was succeeded by his younger brother, T’Erys Whym, who led the leftovers of the Old World until the Fancine movement brought them back to reason as a principal tenet. (See Lamentation pl. 113.)

THE NEW WORLD a/k/a TIME OF THE NAMED LANDS

The survivors of the curse/spell of the Seven Cacophonic Deaths were led out the devastation of the settled lands by P'andro Whym, who was later succeeded by his younger brother, T'Eyrs Whym. (See above. Also see Antiphon pp. 106-107.) Eventually survivors of the monastic Francine order joined with T'Eyrs Whym resulting in the combination of two movements, (one dedicated to science and the preservation of the human knowledge and the other concerned with the intricacies of the human mind). (See above.) They became known as the Androfrancine Order.

Meanwhile, the gypsies and marshfolk were settled on the land beyond the Keeper's Gate deeded to them by Xhum Y'Zir. (See Settled Lands material. Also see canticle p. 350.) When Androfrancines led bands of survivors into the land beyond the Keeper's Gate, small skirmishes ensued as the marshfolk and gypsies tried to keep what they had and the refugees tried to take what they could. (See Settled Lands material.) Real hostilities developed when the Second Androfrancine Pope, Remembrance, built Fort Windiwir, (later known as the Papal Summer Palace), deep in Marshers' territory. (See Settled Lands Material.) What followed were intense skirmishes and atrocities on both sides, eventually culminating in the First Gypsy Wars. Prince Isaak led his Wandering Army on Fort Windwir. They captured the Fort and held it for two years until a successor pope, Pope Retrospect, petitioned the settlements of the southern coastline to admit both the Ninefold Forest and Marshers to the Council of Kin-Clave as full members. (See Settled Lands material.) Pope Retrospect opened the Articles of Kin-Clave for re-negotiation and re-adoption taking input from the first settlers of the New World. Prince Isaak negotiated fair boundaries for his gypsy people and his marshfolk neighbors as well as trade agreements for the gypsies. But, the Marshers refused to participate iand to this day live outside the kin-clave that binds the Named Lands together. (See Settled Lands material.)

During this settlement period there were occasional instances of Y'Zirite resurgence. The Y'Zirite movement began with a small sect of survivors who worshipped House Y'Zir and celebrated the fallen moon wizard's children for challenging and later eradicating the Scientism Movement that had converted P'Andro Whym in childhood. (See Lamentation p. 51.)   

The Androfrancines controlled all science, learning and archeological finds within the Churning Wastes. They erected a great city of stone named Windwir after their first pope. (See Lamentation.) Windiwir was destroyed when a mechoservitor, later named Isaak, sang out Xhum Y'Zir's spell of Seven Cacophonic Deaths due to his scripting being changed.(See Lamentation.) Everything within Windiwir, including its Great Library, was destroyed with the exception of Isaak and his brother mechoservitors  who are immune to the curse/spell. (See Lamentation.) 

Author
kenscholes
0 Kudos

Howdy folks!  Looks like we're all winding down.  So I thought I'd come over here and put out the call.  It is now open season on questions -- any questions at all.  The series, the process, the writer, future plans, past books, etc.  I'll dodge anything I need to dodge (or I'll be deliciously cryptic.)  But I'll happily take your questions.  If there are outstanding questions from earlier, please re-produce them here.

I'll plan on sticking around for about a week.  But you all know where to find me if you need me back later.

So...what do you want to know?

Author
kenscholes

And I couldn't recall if the French cover for Lamentation and the German cover for Canticle made it on here yet, so here they are:

Contributor
bethmeacham
0 Kudos

Announcement!  Lamentation is now, for a short time, available as an ebook for $2.99

http://torforge.wordpress.com/2010/08/26/lamentation-ebook-now-available-for-2-99/

pen21
0 Kudos

bethmeacham wrote:

Announcement!  Lamentation is now, for a short time, available as an ebook for $2.99

http://torforge.wordpress.com/2010/08/26/lamentation-ebook-now-available-for-2-99/

Thank you!

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Distinguished Correspondent
salander_9277
0 Kudos

Ken,

I know you tossed out some ideas for other series, kind of intertwined with this saga and I was wondering if those were just musings or if you were really serious?  Because I would love love love to see a Czarist series!

Jaime

To acquire the habit of reading is to construct for yourself a refuge from almost all the miseries of life. ~W. Somerset Maugham

http://greatexpectationsbookreview.blogspot.com
Scribe
Mountain_Muse
0 Kudos

TO DALNEWT:  I want to thank you so very much for the hours you spent to put these last two posts together for the rest of us.  It is such a help to be able to keep all the characters straight and for the history for those of us who are still catching up on the previous books.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

Karen aka Mtn_Muse

dalnewt wrote:

Broad Historical Outline

and

LIST OF CHARACTERS FOR ANTIPHON

A really good book is much like an artichoke. As you peel back each page of the of the book, you get closer and closer to the succulent heart of the story.
Scribe
Mountain_Muse
0 Kudos

Ken,

I absolutely love the French cover! 

Karen aka Mtn_Muse

kenscholes wrote:

And I couldn't recall if the French cover for Lamentation and the German cover for Canticle made it on here yet, so here they are:

A really good book is much like an artichoke. As you peel back each page of the of the book, you get closer and closer to the succulent heart of the story.
Author
kenscholes

Howdy folks.  I'm logging in from Hollywood.  I've just finished breakfast and before that, I walked the Walk of Fame.  In a few hours, I'm going to talk to this year's winners of the Writers of the Future about everything that's transpired since I won back in 2005.  It should be a good time.  I've got a lot of friends here so it's been a nice time to catch up with people I've not seen in a year or two.

Jaime, I do indeed have plans to tackle something in the Age of the Czars.  Probably a number of somethings.  First, a bit of background.  Then...a little surprise.

After winning Writers of the Future the heat was really turned up on me to tackle something longer than a short story.  Lots of friends and of course my amazing wife had been encouraging me in that direction for a while but WotF started a renewed push.  Editors I'd met at cons started asking me when they'd see a novel from me and one of those editors was Sean Wallace (to whom I owe a great debt of gratitude.)  He knew I was pretty daunted by the notion of writing a novel and told me he'd consider a Very Short novel (like 50k or so words) if I'd be willing to write it.  I thought about it and initially pitched my Last Cowboy at the End of Time concept to him (someday, I'll write it.)  But he wanted something more in the vein of "Of Metal Men and Scarlet Thread and Dancing with the Sunrise."  So I sat down and a good think.

Next, I came up with The Ship that Sailed the Moon and I thought that rather than asking him what he thought of that idea, I'd just start it and send him the first chapter.  I had no idea at the time that it would later be incorporated into the Psalms of Isaak (which I still thought of as a series of interconnected short stories.)  But when I started binge-writing Lamentation it just kinda fit when I spontaneously created the orphan boy that is such a common fixture in mythology and fiction. 

I rarely post snippets from Works in Progress, but you folks have been so wonderful not just in these last few weeks but since Lamentation first came on the scene that I'm going to do it.  Just a taste, a handful of paragraphs, completely first draft.  And you'll see that I obviously poached a familiar name from this a month later when Jay and Jen and Shawna McCarthy convinced me to start The Psalms of Isaak.  I hope you enjoy it.  It's a project I'm hoping to tackle once I wrap up Hymn (and take a long vacation!)  :smileywink:

Okay...here you go!

The Ship that Sailed the Moon

(Being the 100th Tale of Lord Felip Carnelyin)

By Ken Scholes

Chapter 1

The Czar's gun-fields were burning forty leagues north of Belle sur la Mer, the smoke rising into a brown-smudged, morning sky.  The skirmishers had torched them in the night despite their rapid retreat before the Loyalist Reserves, and a brigade's-worth of rifles -- just weeks from harvest -- burned quickly on the vine.

Felip Carnelyin sipped his tea and watched the distant fires while his driver, Neb, loaded the stagecoach in preparation for the last leg of their journey home.  He couldn't remember this small town's name but the inn had been comfortable enough and despite his red student's cloak and the letter of credit bearing his father's mark, he'd managed to stay quietly in the corner and keep to himself the night before.  And their simple fare had been fine enough, though the wine was more bitter than he preferred and the bed wasn't nearly as soft and large as the one that awaited him at home tonight.

"Rallied them good last night, the Czar did," Neb said as he hefted a chest onto the top of the coach and cinched it down.  "I think you might miss this fight after all."

Felip smiled.  "There will be another.  I'm sure I'll have a chance to perform my civic duty."

Neb chuckled.  "The Czar certainly seems to have no shortage of enemies."

"And the hand of the shortsighted shall be against him," Felip said, quoting one of St. Catharsis's letters, appended to the Landholder's Codex by the First Oligarchy over a thousand years ago.  He studied the burning hills to his north.  Those lost rifles wouldn't help his father's closest friend hang onto his throne.  "It does seem to get worse each year."

"I think we're built for war, milord."  Neb loaded the last of the luggage onto the top of coach.  "And we're ready to roll homeward."

Felip placed the ceramic tea cup on the small table and fished a few coins from his purse.  His father's letter of credit was certainly sufficient, but it could weeks for payment to arrive and he'd learned long ago that the smallest touches could make a man great in the eyes of his people. 

pen21
0 Kudos

Ken,

Thanks for taking the time to check in with us from Hollywood.

Giving us a peek at your work in progress is like an extreme sugar high.

Have fun in Hollywood.

Luanne

Correspondent
1archi1
0 Kudos

Yes, thank you so much.  I am about a week behind on Antiphon because I was reading the first two books to get caught up.  The timeline and names of characters helps tremendously.  Thank you again for taking the time to list everything out for us.  It has been a huge help. Now off to finish Antiphon so I can post my thoughts!!!

Anita

Mountain_Muse wrote:

TO DALNEWT:  I want to thank you so very much for the hours you spent to put these last two posts together for the rest of us.  It is such a help to be able to keep all the characters straight and for the history for those of us who are still catching up on the previous books.

Karen aka Mtn_Muse

dalnewt wrote:

Broad Historical Outline

and

:smileyhappy:
dalnewt
0 Kudos

1archi1 wrote:

Yes, thank you so much.  I am about a week behind on Antiphon because I was reading the first two books to get caught up.  The timeline and names of characters helps tremendously.  Thank you again for taking the time to list everything out for us.  It has been a huge help. Now off to finish Antiphon so I can post my thoughts!!!

Anita

Mountain_Muse wrote:

Karen aka Mtn_Muse

dalnewt wrote:

Broad Historical Outline

and

There's no need to thank me, but I do appreciate the acknowledgment from you and everyone else who has thanked me during these discussions.

I really did enjoy compiling the Broad Historical Outline. I loved piecing things together and love this series as well as its rich historical backstory. And, the List of Characters took no time at all because I limited it to continuing characters relevant to Antiphon only. (Note, I could have spent more time explaining the characters, but I really defined each by the seminal destruction of Windwir as well as their relationships to each other, the Named Lands and/or the Androfrancine Order.)    

Reader 4
jmwolffyy

Ok I totally missed out on being a part of the discussion. When I got my book, I started reading it, and realized I had to read the first two books first. So I went and bought Lamentation. However, Canticle was not available to buy. When I finally got it, and finished reading it, and got through Antiphon, well, here I am...

However, I have found a new favorite author in this process. I love this series! I plan to peruse the comments here to improve my understanding of a few things that seemed confusing just because of how I tried to read through the books so quickly. I will re-read these three, but I may wait to do that closer to time for the next book to release. In any case, that is rare. There is only one other set of books I have been known to re-read. All others fall by the wayside. So ultimately, even if I am unable to participate in these advance copy clubs any more, I have benefitted greatly because I was introduced to another exceptional author. Thank you!

Favorite Series of All Time: A Song of Ice and Fire by George R R Martin
Distinguished Correspondent
salander_9277
0 Kudos

By the way West Coasters, don't be like me and not realize Ken is in your area. :smileysad:

He is on tour right now.

September 27 University Book Store, Seattle WA

October 7 PNBA Nightcapper, Portland OR

October 15 Mysterious Galaxy, San Diego CA

October 16 Writers With Drinks, San Francisco CA

October 17 Borderlands Books, San Francisco CA

October 29 Paulina Springs Books, Redmond OR

October 30 Paulina Springs Books, Sisters OR

November 12-14 Orycon, Portland OR

To acquire the habit of reading is to construct for yourself a refuge from almost all the miseries of life. ~W. Somerset Maugham

http://greatexpectationsbookreview.blogspot.com