Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

Re: ANTIPHON SNEAK PEEK: Section 1, Reintroduction: page 1-87

Ken wrote:

Oh, and "A Weeping Czar..." was written while I was in the midst of writing Canticle.  I started it just before the book deal happened and then when my Mom died just a month later, the story twisted itself into a processing of that loss dressed up as an impossible romance between a Czar and a Moon Wizard's daughter.  It is set approximately 4,000 years before the events in Lamentation.  I believe (but am not certain) that I finished it while celebrating my fortieth birthday in Mexico in January 2008.

================================

Silly, me. I thought it because it was available before I read Lamentation that it was written before! But that definitely explains why we are suddenly gettin references to it toward the end of Canticle. But since you were writing Canticle and A Weeping Czar at the same time that you were probably thinking about a tie in. Well, since we have a bit of time before we get going, I'm going to pick apart A Weeping Czar and see what I can find. This was from the very first post you made on the Lamentation thread:

Ken wrote 03-02-2009

There are also some excerpts from Lamentation and a tie-in novelette, "A Weeping Czar Beholds the Fallen Moon" over at www.Tor.com

Nadine

[ Edited ]

The Weeping Czar

I have been rereading The Weeping Czar and I'm discovering some very interesting things.

First, Ken said this story took place 4,000 years ago. Now in the story Frederico ask Amal how old whe is. she says nineteen, but he knows she can't be. Then he asks her about her older sister, Ameera..

Now for a few quotes. Page 20 of the computer printout.

"What if I [Frederico] told you, Pyrus, that there was a threat at least a thousand years brewing?"

..."A thousand years ago we went to the moon and we've wept ever since....We took the Moon Wizard's daughter [Ameera]. We tortured her to death."

Now this means that Raj Y'Zir was well over a thousand years old at that time. The moon attack that was supposed to have taken place in that Year of the Falling Moon never happened. Maybe it happened later. Maybe Raj Y'Zir is still alive. The Y'Zir Resurgence appears to be the same sort of mystical religion of the Lunar Resurgence.

Nadine

Weeping Czar

Now I figure that Y'Zir needed more Blood Magick to carry out his threat.

And other interesting Quote from Page 23.

“There’s a pool in a cave deep beneath my father’s tower,” she said, the words tumbling out. “It’s where he goes to draw up his magicks from the blood of your world.” She paused. “It’s connected somehow.”

A childhood superstition about magicks crept into his mind. “The Beneath Places,” he said. The so-called hell of the Younger Gods, where they plundered devils of their souls and slept restless in their sins. Or bargained for power. Stories, like the ghosts in the water, to keep children obedient.

---------------------------

This I assume is the portal between the two worlds. Quite likely Li Tam blood (in great volume) could probably have been "transported" to the moon for Y'Zir or his successor. Amal spent numerous centuries studying her father's magick. Now myabe she survived. Maybe she was somehow reunited with Frederico. The livery of his guards and servents was Crimson. Maybe she is the Crimson Empress.

Hey, I've made wilder guesses before.

Inspired Correspondent
jb70

Nadine wrote:

Prelude

I haven't gotten beyond the Prelude yet. I'm kind of marking time until more people are aware of the fact that Paul has said "Go" and put up the threads and we are on our way. So I'm going to hold on posting about the chapters for now. Well actually, I haven't read them yet either.

Ken packs so much information into his preludes and postludes. Canticle ended with the Watcher being a mechoservitor but this one seems to be sided with Y'Zirites and in fact seems to be the author of their Gospel which is their "playbook". He is also in the forest near the Machvolk shrine. His kin-raven heads south at the end.

Now the mechoservitors in the Antiphon Prelude seem to be on another side. They seem sided with the goals of the androfrancines. They are also nicer. They didn't harm Rafe, they made sure he and his men were provided for and they intend to return his ship. I assume this is all taking place along the southern coast of the Churning Waste. But the "moon sparrow" flies northeast -- back to the Named Lands.

I don't know what to make of the birds but I don't think Churning Waste mechoservitors are part of the Watcher's gang. The lead mechoservitor says "We have urgent need of your vessel in the formulation of our response." I think they were surprised by what happened as well. But they all seem beyond any programing and can formulate their own descisions and execute plans on their own. We may end up with a war of the mechoservitors.

Somehow I missed the "go" signal, I just got started last night.  I read the prelude and the first few chapters.  I am new to science fiction, for a long time I didn't really feel like it was the place for me but I am trying to work towards being a more rounded reader and am excited to take part in this sneak peak.  That said I didn't read the first two novels so I am so glad for the backgroud the author is giving on each of the characters.  I think I am getting up to speed for at least this book!

http://bookbookseverywhere.blogspot.com/
Bibliophile
Melhay

Nadine wrote:

Paul wrote:

I thought Ken's prelude was simply brilliant – it got me off balance immediately. Four mechoservitors steal Rafe Merrique's ship? What? And the tone for the first few chapters was decidedly different than the first two novels – much more dark. I loved it.

And right in the very first sentence, mention of that blue/green moon....

--------------------------------

Prelude

I knew you couldn't wait much longer, Paul. :smileywink:

The blue/green moon is definitely important. Ken was building to it more and more as he got to the end of Canticle.  If anyone has not read "A Weeping Czar Beholds the Fallen Moon", they might want to do it now. Note: Ken is dropping little hints all over the place. "The gleam of moonlight on their (mechoservitors) metal hands

Yes, I agree Paul. Ken has gotten us off to a running start. He has brought new readers up-to-date on at least Merrique and the mechoservitors and something is happening right off. These mechoservitors have a plan but they specifically "serve the light" which is in opposition to the Y'Zirites. The "moon sparrow" I think may be a new mechoservitor bird. There seems to be quite a few of these. And it is working with the mechoservitor. It seems the "Lighters" have been working all this time to set up their plan as well as the Y'Zirites. They also seem to have vast amounts of knowlege about current events.  Now are the "Lighters" good guys or just another set of bad guys?

So many posts here already! I don't know where to start! So I am going to post as I read through these comments.  If I repeat others, I am sorry. :smileyhappy:

The Prelude... WOW! I was wanting to know what the heck was going on.  I have so many questions here.

Who are these mecroservitors? Are these the ones working with the Mastermind or are these the ones who ran away?  I am really curious here.  What has made me even more curious of these rebel mecroservitors is that they are wearing ROBES.  Remember, Isaak is the only one who will wear clothing, the others would not.  So this makes me suspicious of this crew.

The Light... I had always thought the light was good.  As it is what Rudolfo is protecting.  Remember her is the sheperd of the light.

But there is a lot of mentions of the light so far in the book (along with the haunting moon of ours).  I am wondering if the "light" being good or bad depends on the interpritation of it and the prophecies with it.

I am starting to think our separate groups of good, bad, Y'Zir and Fracines are getting mixed together.  Through the years the families have blended and the beliefs have blended and even changed with the times.

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Bibliophile
Melhay

Nadine wrote:

The more I think on this the more I think their are at least two possible vengeance plans going on. I am getting some things mixed up so I would like to try and clarify some things in my own head. Meslissa is our "historian" and she hasn't signed in yet. I'm not sure if I have this right so any additions or feed-back would be appreciated.

Now we have the Y'Zirites represented by the Machvolk and possibly "The Watcher". I gather they come from Yhum Y'Zir who was pretty ticked off when P'Andro Whym killed his sons. Yhum Y'Zir also deeded the land to the Gypsies and the Marshers. The Marshers were actually house servants of Yhum Y'Zir

And then from the Weeping Czar era we have Raj Y'Zir, The Great Blood Wizard, and the tragic love affair between his daughter, Amal YZir and Frederico. This is where all the blue/green moon references and "songs" come from. This is also part of the dreams of Winters and Neb.

And we have P'Andro Whym who appears to have wanted to do good and started the Androfrancine order. But they did not always do good and provoked violence. The Androfrancines arrived on the scene about 500 years after the Gypsies and the Marshers. They were not too nice to their neighbors.

This resulted in the Gypsy Prince Isaak beseiging Windwir for two years until Pope Resolute I agreed to allow coastal settlements and establish Kin-Clave with the Marshers and and Gypsies.

Sources

The Rise of the Named Lands

Weeping Czar

Hi Nadine! Thanks. :smileyhappy:

He don't forget how the Gypsies fall into the mix with the Y'Zir.  They are the ones who warned him, winning grace from him and also now being considered part of his servants.

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Nadine wrote:

Salander wrote;

Neb - What exactly is Neb doing?  What is his goal here?  "Homeseeking" I assume but does he even know what that means for him?  Who is this red headed girl with dark magic rune scars? As soon as I read "her high cheekbones and close-cropped red hair carried a familiarity that he could not place immediately in context" I thought of Jin Li.  Is she a Tam?

-----------------------------------------

I think red hair marks her as a Li Tam. I believe "homeseeker" was a name given to him by Winters and was revealed in one of their combined dreams. We know that some of the Li Tams are part of the Y'Zirites Resurgence but she may be an unwilling participant. They are a stong evangelical religion and could essentially convert people with their possible brainwashing techniques. My feeling at this point is that she might be one of Vlad's young grandchildren who was spared but given the mark and maybe she has escaped. The one thing that makes me think his might not be the case, is Winters discomfort in seeing her in the cave with "Neb" in the brief mind-connect (I don't know if I can really call these dreams. But Ken would not have introduced her if she were not going to be an important factor here.

This one person I am really looking forward to meeting and learning more about. :smileyhappy:

I first thought maybe this woman was a Li Tam, but then thought second of it with all the markings on her body, scars from cuttings - all of Y'Zir.

I think this may be our Crimson Empress... just a thought! But I also think it is very dangerous for Neb to be with her.  I am taken with the stone she has as well.

But this stone leads to another discussion... (I want to read more posts first then I will touch on this one.)

Bibliophile
Melhay

Nadine wrote:

salander wrote

The Machtvolk Queen (Ria) - Is she to be trusted????  I know that often things are not what they seem and in Canticle she was such a bearer of pain and darkness that it makes you wonder if there really is good reason for it all

-------------------------------------------------------

You've really brought up a lot of good stuff here, Salander. I had her pegged as a "bad guy" but at the end of the first section, I started to have my doubts too. I don't know if she actually sincerly believes the fake Gospel of Ahm Y'Zir or if she is one of the manipulators. If she is a sincere believer, then she may also be sincere in her care of the Child of Promise, her sister Winters, and her Kin-Clave with Rudolfo.

I am curious about Ria as well. Remember she was thought to be dead by the Marshers and she was raised else where.  So she could be one who is not really a bad person, but a product of her raising... with the beliefs instilled in her.  She FIRMLY believes in the Crimson Empress and that Jakob is the Promised Child.  She is seeing things happen and placing them in the prophecy she was raised to belief. 

(just playing the opposite end at the moment. :smileyhappy: I know what my thoughts are though.)

And, no I don't trust Ria. But this first section of the book really does lay a new light on her.  She so strongly believes in the religion they have that she will help Rudolfo and family any way she can - whether wanted or not.  She is right in she has not harmed them in any way... but the rest of the world is at her disposal.  But this again goes back to the beginning and who was here first and the ordering of people on the list of allies, enemies, and loyal servants.

Bibliophile
Melhay

pen21 wrote:

I have been thinking of the birds.

Kin-raven and the small mechanical were both used to communicate. Winters received a message from the kin-raven. Isaak from a small mechanical. A kin-raven tried to destroy the small mechanical sent to Isaak. So kin-ravens can be used for a bad purpose.

So who didn't want Isaak to get this message?

So why did Isaak send the small mechanical back and to who?

Why did he make sure it was released and not studied by Charles?

Also Charles had not programmed this bird? So who else now has the ability to program them.

Luanne

Pen, I have a crazy idea to through out there with this little sparrow...

Charles is scared or nervous about this little bird. I am curious as to why. What does he know that we are not part of yet?  But here is a quote from the book, page 38 on where these little birdies came from:

Androfrancine archaeologies had dug them out, still functioning in their cages, from the ruined subbasement of one of the Wizard King's palaces in the Old World.  But still, they were complex mechanicals of a time that dated back beyond even the Age of the Wizard Kings.  He'd learned what he could of them and had even found obscure reference to them in Rufello's notes on the golden birds that ancient scientist had managed to bring back into the world.

I wonder if the Wizard, or Mastermind, is pushing with these birds.  I know the Androfrancine used them for messages in the Wasteland - they where faster and more reliable - but it sounds as the only other people knowledgable about these birds would have been the Wizard.

What do you think?  Maybe even a mecroservitor who dates back to that time?

Bibliophile
Melhay

Nadine wrote:

ABShaeffer wrote:

pen21 wrote:

I think who is programming them is critical. Charles thought he had a back door and could get in to the small mechanical, but found someone else had programmed it. It could be mechoservitors and the mechanical birds are being 'controlled' by different factions.

What if the mechoservitors are controlling themselves? What if they can use the birds to communicate? If there are others like the Watcher and Isaak, could they be programming the small mechanicals to deliver their messages for whatever purpose they're pursuing?

Ken Scholes, you are rocking my socks over here!

I am leaning strongly in that direction. The Watcher is a mechoservitor and is functioning pretty independently. The birds seem to be pretty smart too. I would put The Watcher right now as Mechoservitor #2. I think there is a higher up mechoservitor doing this.

Lets look at the Kin Raven and Moon Sparrow encounter. In the Canticle Postlude the Kin Raven heads south. We don't know why but it is south from the Marshlands. In the Prelude to Antiphon the Moon Sparrow heads northeast and must be leaving from an area near the Ghosting Crest. They somehow meet right in the location of Jin Li Tam. The Kin Raven damages the Moon Sparrow very percisely but doesn't destroy it, and in fact seems to be making a big show of destroying it when Jin arrives and rescues the Moon Sparrow.. She takes it to Charles who reactivates it and it delivers a specific message to Isaak. And then it escapes, thanks to Isaak, carrying another message.

Now that doesn't seem coincidental to me! There is a plan working here and the mechoservitors in all camps might be working together.

Since these are the Psalms of Isaak, I am wondering if he becomes so human that he eventually breaks his possible ties with the mechoservitors and does something really heroic. But this is all purely speculation and not based on much. But it is fun!

I made a few notes on the birds here.

The Moon Sparrow.  I don't think the one that was sent to Rafe for the ship is the same as the one that Jin Li Tam found.  The one to Rafe had EMERALD eyes and the one Jin Li Tam found had RED eyes.  hmmm... Something up with these?

And I keep thinking on the kin-raven that has the scar.  Did the one from the end of Canticle that went to the master mind have a scar on it?  I don't think this one is from Ria, I think it is from who is trying to stop the light.

Bibliophile
Melhay

[ Edited ]

I have lots of thoughts here and questions, of course. :smileywink:

But, going back through Canticle, Postlude, after reading the first section here I have come up with a crazy idea!  Let me quote for you a few sections:

Canticle, Postlude, page 380:

The Watcher laid down his pen, pushed back his unfinished gospel, and walked to the mouth of the cave.

He would finish this gospel, and perhaps when he did, he would walk through the forest near the Machtvolk shrine and listen for the hymns they sang there.

Antiphon, page 79:

Opening the book, she saw the title and remembered it instantly from the audience earlier.  The Gospel of Ahm Y'zir, Last son of the Wizard King Xhum Y'Zir.

She read the first paragraph.  The print was too consistent for a scribe and the pages too small for the printing press.  Still, it was a familiar style to her, though the age of the paper made it seem highly unlikely.

Okay, first thought... The Watcher is a Mecroservitor, like Paul and a few others had mentions.  But, what is implied with the age of the paper?  Is it young or old?  If it is young, coule Ria have received this book she gave to Winters from this Watcher?  Is the Watcher the one pulling the strings?  The Watcher is the one writing the gospels that the Marcvolk are believing.

Where is the Watcher?  He has to be close to Windber and such to be able to go listen to the Machtvolk.  And give them the gospel...  Could this be Isaak?

Canticle, Postlude, Page 380:

"The Last Son is in exile--spared to fulfill the scriptures--and the kin-healing of Frederico's line is complete.  The Child of Promise has his forty years, and the Great Mother has indebted herself to your grace.  The secret of faith is now preached in the open, and the Machtvold arise from their sorrow to take back their given home."

Sounds like someone is really out for blood.

Who is the Last Son?  I had thought it was was Isaak, but then also notice in the title for the gospels it is noted that Ahm Y'Zir is the last son of the Wizard King Xhum Y'Zir.  So could the last son being mentioned be a relation to Y'Zir?  Is it possible for Ahm Y'Zir to be in a mecroservitor?  Could he be the "human" part of Isaak?

In this paragraph from Canticle I was also thinking Vlad Li Tam (or Tam line) is a relative to Frederico and the healing was needed to push them forward.  (the Weeping Czar)

The Great Mother we know is the name or title given to Jin Li Tam.  I think there may be a connection with her and the younger gods, so she is needed by the "Wizard" family.  The Wizard's family was the one to use the Blood Magicks.  And that is what was used to indebt Jin to the Watcher.

Bibliophile
Melhay

Thought just dawned on me...

If Ahm Y'Zir is the last son and there is a gospel from him.  How is that? Aren't all the sons to be dead?  That was why the death of 7 sons was used.

Could it be that one survived and lived in secret?  Could there actually be a decendent of Y'Zir here?

Frequent Contributor
vpenning

Nadine wrote:

Li Tam Blood

You know what has been really bugging me -- Why was the Li Tam blood so important for the Blood Magic? We don't really know much about the family and where they came from yet.

But I have noted one curiosity and that is their breeding. They prevent conception when they have token Kin-Clave sex or "Strategic" sex. And it seems only the first born conceive within the family, though we never know who a "Mrs. Li Tam" is. Vlad didn't seem to have brothers or sisters and no nephews or nieces as far as I can remember. Only children and grandchildren. The only exception was Jin Li Tam and she had to take special powders to conceive and her child is obviously destined for a special task.

I don't think we have any answers yet, but I thought I would just throw that observation out there into the knowledge pool.

I wonder this myself. Good point! I do not have an answer yet, but I like your train of thought.

One thing, too that I wonder...with all the children, there does not seem to be mention of wives, or consorts...unless I missed his rememberance of them. (Please someone, refresh my memory if there were some indicated.)

Frequent Contributor
vpenning

ABShaeffer wrote:

And who are these blood magicked runners in the waste? Whose side are they on? Clearly not on Neb's, but what side is manipulating Neb? And what's going on with Isaak? Does he know about the dreams of Neb and Petronus in some fashion? Is that the dream he wants to have? Is it already built into his scripts and he only needs to run it in order to play some vital role? All these questions just make me want to yell, then run back and keep reading.

The only thing I can say for certain is that there is a lot going on here and we've only seen just tiny pieces so far (through 2 books and 87 pages of a 3rd).

I too wonder about the dreams...there are many references to them...from Neb and Winters dreams connected, to the prophecies, and now Isaak wishing to dream.

Is the dreaming one of prophecy that he wishes, or is it one of connection, or is it one for his feeling of being sentient?

I also am interested in the blood runners...and the wording of HERE, HERE, HERE, several times makes me curious. Is it just language in passing, or is it meaningful. The fact that it is repeated thusly more than once makes me curious as to if it is more than just a statement of location....

Frequent Contributor
vpenning
0 Kudos

ABShaeffer wrote:

Nadine wrote:

I'll try to dig up more later, but I'm beginning to think the Li Tams may be descended from the Younger Gods and maybe the Wizards used the blood of the Younger Gods in their magic. This Blood Letting Temple of the YZirites seems to be at the right location and it also seems like it might be the portal of passage from this earthly place to the moon.

Now that's interesting. As I read, I was wondering about Vlad's ghost in the water and thinking that it might be Amal. This just makes me wonder even more.

Agreed...much to consider....

Nadine
0 Kudos

PRELUDE

Good to see you here, Melissa.

Melissa wrote:

So many posts here already! I don't know where to start! So I am going to post as I read through these comments.  If I repeat others, I am sorry. :smileyhappy:

------------------------

We got a little ahead of ourselves and now we are waiting for the official start date of August 2 so people can get caught up. But I think it is fair to speculate on the Prelude and the stuff leading up to this book.

The Prelude... WOW! I was wanting to know what the heck was going on.  I have so many questions here.

Who are these mecroservitors? Are these the ones working with the Mastermind or are these the ones who ran away?  I am really curious here.  What has made me even more curious of these rebel mecroservitors is that they are wearing ROBES.  Remember, Isaak is the only one who will wear clothing, the others would not.  So this makes me suspicious of this crew.

----------------------

Nadine: Ya, the robes got me too. The robes seem to mark a mechoservitor with human traits. So I suspect this is going to be a very superior group of mechoservitors. At this point I'm assuming they might be the ones who moved all the supplies and did something to Sanctorum Lux.

Nadine
0 Kudos

Melissa wrote:

He don't forget how the Gypsies fall into the mix with the Y'Zir.  They are the ones who warned him, winning grace from him and also now being considered part of his servants.

------------------------

Good point. I had forgotten why the Gypsies got special treatment.

Nadine

Ria's History

Melissa wrote:

I am curious about Ria as well. Remember she was thought to be dead by the Marshers and she was raised else where.  So she could be one who is not really a bad person, but a product of her raising... with the beliefs instilled in her.  She FIRMLY believes in the Crimson Empress and that Jakob is the Promised Child.  She is seeing things happen and placing them in the prophecy she was raised to belief.

------------------------------

Good point. Where has Ria been all this time? And who brought her up and taught her all this stuff.

Frequent Contributor
vpenning

salander_9277 wrote:

Neb - What exactly is Neb doing?  What is his goal here?  "Homeseeking" I assume but does he even know what that means for him?  Who is this red headed girl with dark magic rune scars? As soon as I read "her high cheekbones and close-cropped red hair carried a familiarity that he could not place immediately in context" I thought of Jin Li.  Is she a Tam?  

I am wondering this myself. I wonder could she be the Crimson Princess they speak of...

Isaak - What was the numeric code?  What did it mean and who sent it????  So many questions of my own. He seems to be even more "human" than he was before, that makes me believe that his programming is not set, that somehow he is able to evolve in some fashion.  This could be good or very very scary.

I wonder of the power source they speak, and could it be part of the reason for his becoming more human?

The Machtvolk Queen (Ria) - Is she to be trusted????  I know that often things are not what they seem and in Canticle she was such a bearer of pain and darkness that it makes you wonder if there really is good reason for it all.

I also wonder why she is so keen to have the sister she never knew on her side, and why she is showing such love and compassion for her?

Rudolfo - It's about time he realizes that at any given moment the blood magicked scouts could kill anyone, including him.  It will be interesting to see what comes of this realization.  

I do believe that his attempt at finding a way to see those who are magik and starting to think about a Standing Army is beginning to show he is realizing this....Charles notes he is sleepless, which I believe is a physical manifestation of his realizing that they all could have been killed.

Petronus - I feel like he will have to go back to Geoffrus and have him track down Neb or go after the blood magicked scouts that are running in the Waste.

Now here is a man that is full of many levels. And his visions, and his seeing Hebda make me curious as to his part in "saving the light." Why did Ria save him beyond showing the miracle? Is she aware of his visions and how he is being recruited for the light? Is this part of some other orchestrated plan?

The runners in the Waste - Why are they there?  I cannot think of what they are doing.

I too wonder this.

I too am questioning what all this bloodletting was for.  How will it be used?

I hope there is a really good reason for this as being a mother it bothers me about the children being cut, and their parents being killed ritualistically for blood magic.

I appreciate your thoughts on this part of the book. It has stimulated my own. Thanks.

Nadine

Birds

Meslissa wrote:

I made a few notes on the birds here.

The Moon Sparrow.  I don't think the one that was sent to Rafe for the ship is the same as the one that Jin Li Tam found.  The one to Rafe had EMERALD eyes and the one Jin Li Tam found had RED eyes.  hmmm... Something up with these?

And I keep thinking on the kin-raven that has the scar.  Did the one from the end of Canticle that went to the master mind have a scar on it?  I don't think this one is from Ria, I think it is from who is trying to stop the light.

---------------------------------------------

Wow, this is why you are top poster! I assumed they were the same bird. Now I'm going to have to check on the eyes of all the birds -- and their damaged state! There seems to be a lot of birds and they are probably all different.