Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
Posts: 2,456
Registered: ‎10-30-2006

Re: ANTIPHON SNEAK PEEK: Section 1, History

[ Edited ]

Now here is a real shocker to me. How did I miss this! This is actually a message from Winters to Neb before their first meeting. She is hiding behind the facade of Handric.

 

Lamentation, page 201

The voice moved now, "My king is the Reluctant Prophet of Xhum Y'Zir, the Unloved Son of P'Andro Whym, Most Beaurtiful of the Northern Marshes."

---------------------------------

 

Wow! P'Andro Whym was Xhum Y'Zir's father?! This makes the revenge even more complicated if I'm reading this right. In fact this is a very loaded sentence. What about "Reluctant Prophet" and "Most Beautiful". This is a message from the Marsh King.

 

------------------------

"No mistake. You are Nebios, son of Hebda, who watched the Great Extinguishment of the Light, the Desolation of Windwir?"

------------------------------------------------

 

Even Neb was not altogether sure he was the son of Hebda. How did the "Marsh King" know?

 

And as an aside question, do we have any clue as to who Neb's mother was?

 

Contributor
fronkster
Posts: 17
Registered: ‎08-13-2009
0 Kudos

Re: ANTIPHON SNEAK PEEK: Section 1, Reintroduction: page 1-87

The beginning suprised the hell out of me! So strange yet......

Contributor
ToniWI
Posts: 22
Registered: ‎03-29-2010

Re: ANTIPHON SNEAK PEEK: Section 1, Reintroduction: page 1-87

My first thought on the Kin-wolves and the carved female is that they are preventing her from accomplishing her mission.   Wolves tend to be territorial so the wolves might have been protect something or someone.  It would be interesting if they were there to protect or guide Neb;  and the attack on Neb was an accident due to blood lust..  

Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
Posts: 2,456
Registered: ‎10-30-2006

Re: ANTIPHON SNEAK PEEK: Section 1, History

History

 

Lamentation pgs 141-142. Isaak is talking with Jin Li Tam about what happened and how it happened: There is a lot of background history in this section:

 

When P'Andro Whym led the extermination of the Young Wizard Kings--the Seven Sons of Xhum Y'Zir--their father shut himself away for seven years, and at the end of that time, brought forth a spell--"

--------------------------

Nadine: Interesting P'Andro Whym did not do anything to Xhum Y'Zir and "extermination" is a curious word and he had help. How did he kill wizards? I get the feeling that Xhum YZir was on the moon while his sons ruled on earth.

-------------------------

After that Third Cataclysm, the Age of Laughing Madness settle upon what generations to come would call the Churning Wastes.

-------------------------

Nadine: What were the first two and why three?

------------------------------

[After that]...that first Rudolfo had already disappeared north and west, beyond the Keeper's Wall, to hide himself away in that ocean of prairie at the far end of the New World

---------------------------------

Nadine: How did Rudolfo and his people escape the Laughing Madness and destruction? I assume the "New World" is the "earth".

 

-------------------------------
Jin shuttered. "How could such a thing happen."
Isaak turned away. My script was modified. They were always so careful with us. Brother Charles expunged my memory each night, careful that I should not keep such knowledge. But his apprentice -- under Lord Sethbert's instructions --altered my activity script."
----------
"There was a time when there were thousands of us. When Rufello drew up his Specifications and Observations of the Mechanical Age, he was working with the broken and discarded remains of mechoservitors found in the ruins of the Eldest Days, broken artifacts from the Age of the Younger Gods
-------------

Nadine: Thousands of them. But Rufello apparently just rebuilt mechoservitors from parts.

---------------
But then he continued. "My memory scrolls have been replaced at least twice since my first awareness. I have no record of those times. My first memory is Brother Charles asking me if I were awake and could I recite the Fourteenth Precepts of the Francine Accord"
-------------

Nadine: Isaak "remembers" that his memory scrolls had been replaced before!


We seem to be aquiring names for our ages. I'm not sure if there is a duplication, overlap, or what the exact ordeer is here. But let me give it a try.


Elder Days - Could there be a time before the Younger Gods?

Age of the Younger Gods - "Moon"

Time of the Czars - "Earth" (Raj Y'Zir on Moon, Young Gods in the Beneath Places)

The Wizard Kings - On the New World

Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
Posts: 2,456
Registered: ‎10-30-2006

Re: ANTIPHON SNEAK PEEK: Section 1, Reintroduction: page 1-87

 


ToniWI wrote:

My first thought on the Kin-wolves and the carved female is that they are preventing her from accomplishing her mission.   Wolves tend to be territorial so the wolves might have been protect something or someone.  It would be interesting if they were there to protect or guide Neb;  and the attack on Neb was an accident due to blood lust..  


 

Very good point! These are probably very intelligent wolves. And the early book cover led me to believe that at least one wolf would be Neb's ally. Obviously, from the covers, not all wolves are. I do wonder why she want to help and protect him? She seems to have a divided loyalty.

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
Posts: 2,456
Registered: ‎10-30-2006
0 Kudos

Re: ANTIPHON SNEAK PEEK: Section 1, History

It looks like I found and answer to one of my recent questions:

 

After that Third Cataclysm, the Age of Laughing Madness settle upon what generations to come would call the Churning Wastes.

-------------------------

Nadine: What were the first two and why three?

==========================

 

Ken wrote in the Lamentation Thread:

 

Still enjoying all the speculation.  Sounds like Nadine's read "Weeping Czar," which I think gives some good hints.

 

Oh, and the Seven Cacophonic Deaths is what Xhum Y'Zir used to destroy at least the most recent Old World -- the lands to the east that make up the Churning Wastes.  I think somewhere in Lamentation I suggest there have been three cataclysms that humanity has survived (but I can't remember where).

---------------------------

Nadine: So the New World is essentially the Named Lands and the Old World is the Churning Waste and not the "earth". And Xhum Y'Zir's destruction was the Third Cataclysm and there have been two previous ones.

 

 

Scribe
Mountain_Muse
Posts: 1,104
Registered: ‎06-09-2010

Re: ANTIPHON SNEAK PEEK: Section 1, Reintroduction: page 1-87

Ken,

 

You answered several of my questions with your post about your background as a minister and your understanding of "old testament".  I have been seeing those overtones, but was trying to "not read into the story" things that were not intended.  I will stay with my gut, as I keep reading knowing that I was not off target.  BTW, it is not the darkness of a story or of life that scares me or makes me back away, it is our unwillingness to accept the reality of darkness as a reality that causes one to flee, for with darkness comes the unkown.  Who wants to face the terror of the unknown.  You have that down very well in your characters. 

It will be interesting to see where you take the story and what twists you give it to keep us off center.  I can tell this is not following the usual story line of some of the other stories of this genre, such as The Ring, or Black, Red, White. 

Iszaac's awakening is my favorite thread so far.  The potential it holds for where you can take it has my interest sparked.  Are you going to give hime a "soul", with a conscience?  Or is he learning to write his own script and leave become his own master?  The possibilities are numerous....I will keep reading

More ideas and thoughts will be coming.

A really good book is much like an artichoke. As you peel back each page of the of the book, you get closer and closer to the succulent heart of the story.
Scribe
Mountain_Muse
Posts: 1,104
Registered: ‎06-09-2010

Re: ANTIPHON SNEAK PEEK: Section 1, History

I'm right there with you on the strong parallel of the Androfrancines to the Catholic Church.  The parallel runs deeper than the structure though.  Having studied church history, I see a parallel on many dimensions from the "father" "son" relationships to the monastic orders they live in.

With the use of the machomachines (sp?)and searching out lost wisdom to re-create it in the library, there is a great historical parallel in the development and control of knowledge over the last 2 millenia by the church.  I haven't got that far in my simul-reading of the 2 previous novels, but how protective are the Androfrancines of the library of knowledge and how assessible was it to people outside the order?  Another potential parallel....

Ken this is a great read!

A really good book is much like an artichoke. As you peel back each page of the of the book, you get closer and closer to the succulent heart of the story.
Distinguished Bibliophile
dalnewt
Posts: 2,725
Registered: ‎06-16-2009

Re: ANTIPHON SNEAK PEEK: Section 1, History

[ Edited ]

Here’s a very board timeline. I’ve tried to include the historical figures.

 

AGE OF THE YOUNDER GODS a/k/a THE MECHANICAL AGE a/k/a THE FIRST WORLD

 

The first civilization occurred during the Age of the Younger Gods. I believe that the Age of the Younger Gods spawned the technological marvels such as sunstones, firestones, the mechoservitors and other mechanicals. * Apparently a great cataclysm, presumably war, occurred between men and the Younger Gods, and the gods brought earth and water to the moon making the moon their refuge. (See Lamentation p. 131.) But, men followed the gods to the moon and exterminated them there with poison and plague. (See Weeping Czar, also see Canticle p. 371 where Neb looks upon the moon and is reminded of long ago war that had killed the last of the Younger gods upon that blue-green rock.)

 

*While speaking with Jin Li Tam, Issak states, “There was a time when there were thousands of us.  When Rufello drew up his Specifications and Observation of the Mechanical Age, he was working with the broken and discarded remains of mechoservitors found in the ruins of the Eldest Days, broken artifacts from the Age of the Younger Gods." When Jin asks when Isaak was built, he replies that his memory scrolls were replaced at least twice since his first awareness and that he has no record of those times. He continues saying that his first memory was Brother Charles waking him up twenty-two years, three months, four weeks, six hours and thirty-one minutes ago. (Lamentation p. 142.)

 

During an unspecified time following the Age of the Younger Gods but prior to the Czarist Empire, a scientist-poet named Ruefello, gave his life to the study of the treasures, tools and toys of the Younger Gods. He wrote a book of Specifications and Observations. Copies of that book and his diagrams were later recovered by the Androfrancines and arch-engineer Charles used that material to bring back the mechanicals.(See Canticle p. 233. Also see Lamentation page p.52 and page 142.) 

 

AGE OF THE WEEPING CZARS OR CZARIST EMPIRE

 

The second civilization apparently arose during the Age of the Weeping Czars or Czarist Empire. Apparently the czarist empire existed for some time before weeping beset the czars. (Ken Scholes mentions that the czarist empire existed at least 4,000 years before the fall of Windwir) During that time the empire had ‘lacquered’ guns, small mechanicals such as birds and apparently some sort of electrical lighting; however, they were unfamiliar with mechoservitors. (See Weeping Czar.)

 

During the earliest days of the empire, a Czarist Lunar Expedition successfully built a ship that traveled to the moon in the company of the Lord Carnelyn. A lunar princess named Ameera, daughter to the Moon Wizard Raj Y’Zir, was captured on the moon and brought back where she was questioned to death in the basement of the Czar’s palace. She cried out in despair and hopelessness with her last breath, and the Czars were cursed to weep thereafter. Carnelyn wrote about his lunar experiences, but was eventually executed in secret by the government. A Lunarist movement arose around his Carnelyn’s writings that was viewed as subversive and eventually rigorously suppressed.

 

The last Weeping Czar, Frederico, came into possession of a crescent made of reflective silver metal confiscated from a Lunarist temple. He heard sounds of water and frogs from it and stopped weeping. Eventually he heard a girl’s voice. The girl identified herself as Amal, daughter to the great Blood Wizard Raj Y’Zir. They fell in love with each other, and eventually she attempted to travel to Frederico’s world by swimming the ‘bargaining pool’ located in a cave beneath her father’s Moon Tower. Frederico is removed from office because he warns of the Year of the Falling Moon, a prophesied time of invasion. Eventually, Frederico is believed when Raj Y’Zir communicates through the crescent asking to speak with the Czar. When the crescent is returned to Frederico, Raj Y’Zir states that Amal tried to swim the pool but was too young to know that her body could not survive. He states that for now her spirit resides with Frederico. Then, he says that the next time Frederico will hear him is from the sky above when he invades.

 

THE YEAR OF THE FALLEN MOON

Apparently, the Blood Wizard, Raj Y'Zir, invaded and subdued the Czarist Empire and other world governments/civilizations in retaliation for the death of his two daughters.  

 

 

THE OLD WORLD a/k/a THE AGE OF THE WIZARD KINGS

 

Little is known other than the Blood Wizard Xhum Y’Zir ruled the earth through his seven sons, the seven Wizard Kings. During this time the Wizard Kings kept small mechanical birds, made during an earlier time. (See Antiphon p. 38.)  Also, mechoservitors served the wizards along with gypsy scouts and Machtvolk servants.

 

A scientism movement arose, and P’Andro Whym was converted to it in boyhood. (See Lamentation p. 51.)  Xhum Y’Zir saw the scientism movement as a threat to his blood magick. (See Lamentation p. 53 and p. 51.)  Xhum’s sons, the seven Wizard Kings, challenged and later eradicated members of the scientism movement. (See Lamentation p. 51.) In retaliation, P’Andro Whym led scattered members of scientism to eradicate the seven Wizard Kings. (Lamentation p.141 and p.50.)

 

Xhum Y’Zir shut himself in his palace for seven years and when he emerged he sent forth mechoservitors as death choirs to sing the spell of the Seven Cacophonic Deaths in all the civilized lands. (See Lamentation p.141 and Antiphon pp. 40-41.) Zhum Y’Zir sent his gypsies and his Machtvolk servants beyond the Keeper's Wall of the settled lands before he unleashed the curse. (See Lamentation p. 141. Also see Rise of the Named Lands material.) The curse turned the settled lands into the Churning Wastes 2,000 years before the fall of Windwir. (See Antiphon pp. 40-41) 

 

Xhum Y’Zir apparently died on the night he sent out the death choirs. (See Canticle p. 350.) P’Andro Whym survived initially. (See Lamentation p. 72.)

 

AGE OF LAUGHING MADNESS

 

This period lasted 500 years and was marked by chaos, anarchy and 80% insanity. It lasted through four human generations. (Lamentation, p. 51.)  During this time the Machtvolk (who became known as Marshers) and Gypsies settled in the lands of the New World beyond the keepers wall. (See Rise of the Named Lands material.)

 

Fragments of correspondence between P’Andro Whym and the founder of the Francines, a monastic movement centered around the intricacies of the human psyche, led to the sects merging and becoming known as Androfrancines.  (See Lamentation p. 35.)  

 

P’Andro was succeeded by his younger brother, T’Erys Whym, who led the leftovers of the Old World until the Fancine movement brought them back to reason as a principal tenet. (See Lamentation pl. 113.)

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
Posts: 2,628
Registered: ‎10-19-2006

Re: ANTIPHON SNEAK PEEK: Section 1, History

I keep wondering about the significance of Jin Lin Tam's dreams about the children and weather they are forcasting something that will happen or something that has happened in the past and if that is the reason she goes out for her daily run.  I guess I will find out in the next section.  I know I haven't had much time to post but I am trying to keep up.

 

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Contributor
AnnahE
Posts: 24
Registered: ‎01-12-2010

Re: ANTIPHON SNEAK PEEK: Section 1, Reintroduction: page 1-87

 This is the first time that I have read a science fiction/fantasy book and I am thoroughly enjoying this genre.  I started reading Antiphon and was totally confused so I went to the library and got the first two books.  I am now caught up with the group.  I am loving the evolution of the Isaak character and the religious overtones are intriguing.  I can't wait to see where this final book ends up.

Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,865
Registered: ‎10-19-2006

Re: ANTIPHON SNEAK PEEK: Section 1, History

 


Nadine wrote:

 

And as an aside question, do we have any clue as to who Neb's mother was?

 


 

That has been with me from the first book, but we also know that Renard knows who she is, he revealed that in Canticle. But my curiosity was peaked from the time we met Neb and found out he was an orphan of the Franci order.

 

Author
kenscholes
Posts: 136
Registered: ‎10-17-2008

Re: ANTIPHON SNEAK PEEK: Section 1, History

@dalnewt:  Spot on!

 

Your compiled history is very well done.  And I'm assuming you've seen the "excerpt" from the arch-scholar Tertius's Rise of the Named Lands that is floating around? 

 

I've been very impressed with the speculation and the questions raised on the forum but this timeline is really really nice work.  It took a lot of research to pull that together.

 

On a personal note, it is a surreal and flattering feeling to see someone lay out before you a history that was created in bits and pieces scattered over three novels and a novelette.  And it lines up pretty close to the history I'm carting around in my head.

 

As to the cataclysms:

 

First was the (so far not described) cataclysm that brought a close to the Age of the Younger Gods.

 

Second was the Wizard Wars aka The Year of the Falling Moon that led to the Age of the Wizard Kings.

 

Third was the Seven Cacaphonic Deaths and Age of Laughing Madness.  And because of their loyalty to House Y'Zir, Xhum deeded the Machtvolk (his House servants) and Rudolfo's tribe the lands beyond the Keeper's Wall and they made their escape there ahead of the death choirs.

 

Really nice work. 

 

 

 

   

Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
Posts: 2,456
Registered: ‎10-30-2006
0 Kudos

Re: ANTIPHON SNEAK PEEK: Section 1, History

This section of Neb’s POV is full of very important information. Bold face all mine.

 

Lamentation pg 50 – In reference to Blood Magick

 

Such a kind that had not been seen in the Named Lands from the days the Homeseekers had migrated in from the dust storms of the deep south. Such a kind that had not been seen since Xhum Y’Zir, enraged at the murder of his seven sons by P’Andro Whym and his Scientist Scholars, had turned the Old World into the Churning Wastes.

---------------------------

Nadine: Now the “execution“ is called a  “murder” and P’Andro Whym’s followers are named as Scientist Scholars. But note we have another bit of history “the Homeseekers” from the dust storms of the deep south. Neb is now called The Homeseeker.

----------------------

 

Lamentation pgs 52-53 – Neb is relating a conversation with his father, Brother Hebdar about an excavation in the Churning Wastes.

 

“We’ve found a good one this time, Neb. A shrine from the time of the Y’Zirite Resurgence.”Neb remembered this from lessons about the Age of Laughing Madness, the five hundred years after the end of the Old World.

 

There were some who argued that Xhum Y’Zir had built a hidden eighth Cacophonic Death into his spell after it had been shaped and bargained for in the dark places of the world—a last and final blow for one of his favorite wives who had been captured, raped and beaten to death on his last night in seclusion for his spell making.

------------------------

 

Nadine: Now what is this about!?

------------------------

 

But both camps agree that the insanity was prevalent, and that if it weren’t for the Francines—a monastic movement centered around the intricacies of the human psyche, the patterns of human (and primate) behavior—humanity would have murdered itself.

 

-------------------

Nadine: Maybe this is where Arch-Behaviorist Hebda is associated with.

------------------

 

The Y’Zite Resurgence was a small sect of survivors whose particular insanity was the worship of House Y’Zir. They celebrated the fallen Moon Wizard’s children for challenging—and later eradication—the Scientism Movement that had converted P’Andro Whym in his boyhood.

 

------------------------------

Nadine: Well this may have been the motivation for P’Andro Whym killing the sons of Xhum Y’Zir.

 

-----------------------

Franci B’yot, the posthumous founder of the Francines, though older than Whym, was influenced by the early days of the same Scientism Movement.

-----------------

 

Brother Hebda has found a coin and it was from: “The third sone Vas Y’Zir..he was the Wizard King of Aelys.”

 

They also found a Rufello lockedbox. In reference to Rufello “His work was old when P’Andro Whym was a boy, and he’d given his life to understanding the scientific mysteries of the First World.

 

“Because the Y’Zirites would have no interest in preserving Rufello’s science-based work, Xhum Y’Zir saw the Scientism Movement as a threat against his magick, and later, some of its scattered followers murdered his seven sons.”

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
Posts: 2,456
Registered: ‎10-30-2006
0 Kudos

Re: ANTIPHON SNEAK PEEK: Section 1, History

 

Fantastic summary, dalnewt. You really did a great job of pulling all this information together. Now we have a working history summary we can refer to. I'll keep digging and see what else I can find to add to it.

 

 


dalnewt wrote:

Here’s a very board timeline. I’ve tried to include the historical figures.

 

AGE OF THE YOUNDER GODS a/k/a THE MECHANICAL AGE a/k/a THE FIRST WORLD

 

The first civilization occurred during the Age of the Younger Gods. I believe that the Age of the Younger Gods spawned the technological marvels such as sunstones, firestones, the mechoservitors and other mechanicals. * Apparently a great cataclysm, presumably war, occurred between men and the Younger Gods, and the gods brought earth and water to the moon making the moon their refuge. (See Lamentation p. 131.) But, men followed the gods to the moon and exterminated them there with poison and plague. (See Weeping Czar, also see Canticle p. 371 where Neb looks upon the moon and is reminded of long ago war that had killed the last of the Younger gods upon that blue-green rock.)

 

*While speaking with Jin Li Tam, Issak states, “There was a time when there were thousands of us.  When Rufello drew up his Specifications and Observation of the Mechanical Age, he was working with the broken and discarded remains of mechoservitors found in the ruins of the Eldest Days, broken artifacts from the Age of the Younger Gods." When Jin asks when Isaak was built, he replies that his memory scrolls were replaced at least twice since his first awareness and that he has no record of those times. He continues saying that his first memory was Brother Charles waking him up twenty-two years, three months, four weeks, six hours and thirty-one minutes ago. (Lamentation p. 142.)

 

During an unspecified time following the Age of the Younger Gods but prior to the Czarist Empire, a scientist-poet named Ruefello, gave his life to the study of the treasures, tools and toys of the Younger Gods. He wrote a book of Specifications and Observations. Copies of that book and his diagrams were later recovered by the Androfrancines and arch-engineer Charles used that material to bring back the mechanicals.(See Canticle p. 233. Also see Lamentation page p.52 and page 142.) 

 

AGE OF THE WEEPING CZARS OR CZARIST EMPIRE

 

The second civilization apparently arose during the Age of the Weeping Czars or Czarist Empire. Apparently the czarist empire existed for some time before weeping beset the czars. (Ken Scholes mentions that the czarist empire existed at least 4,000 years before the fall of Windwir) During that time the empire had ‘lacquered’ guns, small mechanicals such as birds and apparently some sort of electrical lighting; however, they were unfamiliar with mechoservitors. (See Weeping Czar.)

 

During the earliest days of the empire, a Czarist Lunar Expedition successfully built a ship that traveled to the moon in the company of the Lord Carnelyn. A lunar princess named Ameera, daughter to the Moon Wizard Raj Y’Zir, was captured on the moon and brought back where she was questioned to death in the basement of the Czar’s palace. She cried out in despair and hopelessness with her last breath, and the Czars were cursed to weep thereafter. Carnelyn wrote about his lunar experiences, but was eventually executed in secret by the government. A Lunarist movement arose around his Carnelyn’s writings that was viewed as subversive and eventually rigorously suppressed.

 

The last Weeping Czar, Frederico, came into possession of a crescent made of reflective silver metal confiscated from a Lunarist temple. He heard sounds of water and frogs from it and stopped weeping. Eventually he heard a girl’s voice. The girl identified herself as Amal, daughter to the great Blood Wizard Raj Y’Zir. They fell in love with each other, and eventually she attempted to travel to Frederico’s world by swimming the ‘bargaining pool’ located in a cave beneath her father’s Moon Tower. Frederico is removed from office because he warns of the Year of the Falling Moon, a prophesied time of invasion. Eventually, Frederico is believed when Raj Y’Zir communicates through the crescent asking to speak with the Czar. When the crescent is returned to Frederico, Raj Y’Zir states that Amal tried to swim the pool but was too young to know that her body could not survive. He states that for now her spirit resides with Frederico. Then, he says that the next time Frederico will hear him is from the sky above when he invades.

 

THE YEAR OF THE FALLEN MOON

Apparently, the Blood Wizard, Raj Y'Zir, invaded and subdued the Czarist Empire and other world governments/civilizations in retaliation for the death of his two daughters.  

 

 

THE OLD WORLD a/k/a THE AGE OF THE WIZARD KINGS

 

Little is known other than the Blood Wizard Xhum Y’Zir ruled the earth through his seven sons, the seven Wizard Kings. During this time the Wizard Kings kept small mechanical birds, made during an earlier time. (See Antiphon p. 38.)  Also, mechoservitors served the wizards along with gypsy scouts and Machtvolk servants.

 

A scientism movement arose, and P’Andro Whym was converted to it in boyhood. (See Lamentation p. 51.)  Xhum Y’Zir saw the scientism movement as a threat to his blood magick. (See Lamentation p. 53 and p. 51.)  Xhum’s sons, the seven Wizard Kings, challenged and later eradicated members of the scientism movement. (See Lamentation p. 51.) In retaliation, P’Andro Whym led scattered members of scientism to eradicate the seven Wizard Kings. (Lamentation p.141 and p.50.)

 

Xhum Y’Zir shut himself in his palace for seven years and when he emerged he sent forth mechoservitors as death choirs to sing the spell of the Seven Cacophonic Deaths in all the civilized lands. (See Lamentation p.141 and Antiphon pp. 40-41.) Zhum Y’Zir sent his gypsies and his Machtvolk servants beyond the Keeper's Wall of the settled lands before he unleashed the curse. (See Lamentation p. 141. Also see Rise of the Named Lands material.) The curse turned the settled lands into the Churning Wastes 2,000 years before the fall of Windwir. (See Antiphon pp. 40-41) 

 

Xhum Y’Zir apparently died on the night he sent out the death choirs. (See Canticle p. 350.) P’Andro Whym survived initially. (See Lamentation p. 72.)

 

AGE OF LAUGHING MADNESS

 

This period lasted 500 years and was marked by chaos, anarchy and 80% insanity. It lasted through four human generations. (Lamentation, p. 51.)  During this time the Machtvolk (who became known as Marshers) and Gypsies settled in the lands of the New World beyond the keepers wall. (See Rise of the Named Lands material.)

 

Fragments of correspondence between P’Andro Whym and the founder of the Francines, a monastic movement centered around the intricacies of the human psyche, led to the sects merging and becoming known as Androfrancines.  (See Lamentation p. 35.)  

 

P’Andro was succeeded by his younger brother, T’Erys Whym, who led the leftovers of the Old World until the Fancine movement brought them back to reason as a principal tenet. (See Lamentation pl. 113.)


 

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
Posts: 2,456
Registered: ‎10-30-2006
0 Kudos

Re: ANTIPHON SNEAK PEEK: Section 1, History

 


dhaupt wrote:

 


Nadine wrote:

 

And as an aside question, do we have any clue as to who Neb's mother was?

 


 

That has been with me from the first book, but we also know that Renard knows who she is, he revealed that in Canticle. But my curiosity was peaked from the time we met Neb and found out he was an orphan of the Franci order.

 


 

Thanks, Debbie. I knew there was something about here somewhere. I'm off to look it up!

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
Posts: 2,456
Registered: ‎10-30-2006
0 Kudos

Re: ANTIPHON SNEAK PEEK: Section 1, History

Ken wrote:

Your compiled history is very well done.  And I'm assuming you've seen the "excerpt" from the arch-scholar Tertius's Rise of the Named Lands that is floating around?

----------------------------------------

 

In case someone here hasn't. Rise of the Named Lands.

Contributor
bethmeacham
Posts: 22
Registered: ‎07-09-2010

Re: ANTIPHON SNEAK PEEK: Section 1, History

 


Nadine wrote:

Now here is a real shocker to me. How did I miss this! This is actually a message from Winters to Neb before their first meeting. She is hiding behind the facade of Handric.

 

Lamentation, page 201

The voice moved now, "My king is the Reluctant Prophet of Xhum Y'Zir, the Unloved Son of P'Andro Whym, Most Beaurtiful of the Northern Marshes."

---------------------------------

 

Wow! P'Andro Whym was Xhum Y'Zir's father?! This makes the revenge even more complicated if I'm reading this right. In fact this is a very loaded sentence. What about "Reluctant Prophet" and "Most Beautiful". This is a message from the Marsh King.

 

 

 

 

Oh now, hey! Even I missed that one.  But I don't think that the sentence means that Xhum Y'Zir was the son of P'Andro Whym.   It does mean that the Son of Whym will be a Reluctant Prophet of the Y'Zyrites, though, if the Dreams of the Marsh Kings are true.

 

And that makes an odd kind of sense to me.....

 

Contributor
bethmeacham
Posts: 22
Registered: ‎07-09-2010

Re: ANTIPHON SNEAK PEEK: Section 1, History

 


dalnewt wrote:

Here’s a very board timeline. I’ve tried to include the historical figures.

 

AGE OF THE YOUNDER GODS a/k/a THE MECHANICAL AGE a/k/a THE FIRST WORLD

 

The first civilization occurred during the Age of the Younger Gods. I believe that the Age of the Younger Gods spawned the technological marvels such as sunstones, firestones, the mechoservitors and other mechanicals. * Apparently a great cataclysm, presumably war, occurred between men and the Younger Gods, and the gods brought earth and water to the moon making the moon their refuge.

 

 

I don't think it's any kind of spoiler to point out that The Younger Gods is the name used for them by our current cast of characters.   The war that brought about the first great cataclysm on this world was waged on both sides by "the younger gods".

 

Correspondent
1archi1
Posts: 104
Registered: ‎07-07-2010

Re: ANTIPHON SNEAK PEEK: Section 1, Reintroduction: page 1-87

dalnewt thank you so much for the timeline.  This is my first time reading Sci/Fi and I am learning really quickly that I cannot read Antiphon until my boys go to bed so I can concentrate on what is going on. I think this has more to do with not getting a chance to read the first 2 than Antiphon itself.  Now that I have the first 87 pages read I am going to go back and start reading Lamentation.  I do have to say that having never read Sci/Fy before, I am completely drawn into Antiphon and I don't want to put it down, and this is just from reading the Reintroduction.  From all the posts I can see that Lamentation and Canticle are probably the same way so I am hoping for quick reads on both so I can finish them by the end of the week because I am extremely anxious to continue w/ Antiphon.  I do have tons of questions swirling around in my head that I am hoping Lamentation and Canticle will answer...if not I hope you guys are ready to help a gal out.  Loving the book and all the comments.  This is awesome!!!!

:smileyhappy: