Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
krb2g

Re: ANTIPHON SNEAK PEEK: Section 1, Reintroduction: page 1-87

Hi folks!

Here I am, late to the party (I got caught up reading for the dissertation, and then some library books were about to be due...)--but I've read the first section (and mostly read this long--but very helpful--thread) and here are my initial thoughts/interests in this section.

1) Languages and Numbers

We've been talking a lot (or at least a little) about numbers--including especially the numeric code that prompts Isaac to do something and then get rid of the messenger bird really quickly--and that code moment especially made me think of the connection between numbers (or I guess I would say math) and language. One of the things that's been remarkable to me from the beginning of the series is the characters' ability to master not only verbal languages but multiple forms of subverbal codes (from hand signs, to messages on birds) and to read the symbolism of their world both deeply and effectively. I don't know that I have anything much to say beyond pointing out these abilities--but they strike me as important. Especially since we seem to be coming to a point (in the world of the stories) where a lot will depend on how characters read and understand prophecy and competing world-visions.

Here, I'm thinking of Ria's visit to the Ninefold Forests and her offer to Rudolfo and Jin Li to protect Jakob. I agree with Rudolfo (and several commenters here) that she's probably sincere, but not to be trusted.

2) The Aether/Brother Hebda

What's going on with the aether? How are these visions different from the dream visions Winters and Neb had? Is Brother Hebda still alive? Or if not still alive, exactly, still a force? I'm glad we haven't heard the last of Hebda, and I'll be following his progress with interest.

3) Birds & Technology

Lots of birds. I'm interested, too, that mechanical birds are messengers like live birds--it's interesting to me that a lot of the mechanical/technological developments in these books (setting aside the question of the magicks, for the moment, which I have to admit I don't fully understand) are so imitative of nature--the mechanoservitors look like men (and Isaac wants to dream!), and rather than inventing something like computers or cell phones to communicate over distances, they've developed mechanical versions of what they already use.

4) Religion

Am I the only one who wants to read the book that Ria left Winters (The Gospel of Ahm Y'Zir)? The religion stuff has been intriguing to me--in part because it sounds very familiar in many ways, but also completely foreign in others. Which is to say, another development I'll be tracking closely.

And now--I'm going to start the second chunk of chapters--and read the two other, shorter pieces that have been posted here (Weeping Czar and the arch-scholar Tertius's piece)!

dhaupt

kenscholes wrote:

Hi Karen!  Nope, not a trilogy.  Five books total.

Hi everyone!  I'm blown away by your sleuthiness.  It tickles me. 

It's time for my "official" appearnce now though I'll certainly be staying longer than the allotted time.  I think it would be great if we had one place to go for questions if that's workable...maybe one of the other threads no longer being used?  I dunno.  I'm sure Paul can up with some ideas.  Or we could maybe find a way to highlight them in their appropriate threads.

But I'm excited and ready to tackle your questions about the series, my process, etc.

I just went through comments here and I think I've caught the only question.  Let me know if I missed one. 

That's great Ken 5 books. If it weren't for sneak peek I wouldn't have traveled to the Nine Fold Forest by going back and first reading the other two books.  I feel very enriched by these book clubs. And psyched that you're joining us as we map our way through the Whymer Maze of Antiphon.

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

krb2g wrote:

4) Religion

Am I the only one who wants to read the book that Ria left Winters (The Gospel of Ahm Y'Zir)? The religion stuff has been intriguing to me--in part because it sounds very familiar in many ways, but also completely foreign in others. Which is to say, another development I'll be tracking closely.

krb2g, I have been wanting to read this gospel book as well.  I am curious about all the beliefs on Jakob and Jin Li Tam.  I would like to get snippets of it to see what they see. :smileyhappy:

Melissa

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Correspondent
LadyMin

[ Edited ]

All-Things-Stephen-King wrote:

Hello All,

I know everyone is getting ready to move on to section two, if they have not already done so, but I do hope some still come back here.  I have a couple of questions.  From my understanding, Neb is the son of Hebda.  However, it seems that Hebda is suppose to be dead.  Is this the case?  And if so, how is he communicating with Petronus?  If he is suppose to be dead, then he must really be hiding this fact from Neb.  If so, then why?  If he is dead, is there some way that Hebda has become part of the "dreams".  I am curious if anyone has any thoughts on this matter. 

Rob

Now onward to section two and the continuation of an intriguing story.

Nadine wrote:

There are probably some people still on this section that can respond better than I. But at this point I don't think we are sure. There is also a lot about this dreaming mechanism that we don't know much about. Hebda could just be a form for communication through the dreams and not exist at all.

However, I have been convinced since Lamentation that Hebda lives and had something to do with all of this.

It appeared to me that it was established in Lamentation that Neb was Hebda's son. As for Hebda appearing in the dreams I see that as Hebda's spirit or ghost appearing to Neb.

However, Neb also connects with living people in his dreams such as the dreams he shares with Winters. So it's possible Hebda could turn up alive at some point, although I doubt it.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine

[ Edited ]

Katie wrote:

1) Languages and Numbers

We've been talking a lot (or at least a little) about numbers--including especially the numeric code that prompts Isaac to do something and then get rid of the messenger bird really quickly--and that code moment especially made me think of the connection between numbers (or I guess I would say math) and language. One of the things that's been remarkable to me from the beginning of the series is the characters' ability to master not only verbal languages but multiple forms of subverbal codes (from hand signs, to messages on birds) and to read the symbolism of their world both deeply and effectively. I don't know that I have anything much to say beyond pointing out these abilities--but they strike me as important.

==========================

Ok Katie. Now you have done it! You have opened up a whole new area of research for me.

I have been especially taken with the code under the Crescent Canticle. I don't think Ken will be getting this technical with us, but numbers are an important part of the make-up of the universe, communication and, of course, music. The first thing that popped into my mind are the Fibonacci Numbers. They show up all the time in stories. At this point I don't think we are dealing with Fibonacci Numbers but it may be Rufello Numbers that work on a similar principle. I will keep this in mind as I read on.

For those of you who might have a more theoretical bent. Fibonacci numbers in music.

And an actual musical piece based on Fibonacci Numbers Video.

Hmm, and I just realized that the Y'Zirite cuttings could also be based on Fibonacci numbers. For instance a spiral would look like this:

Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine

Katie wrote:

4) Religion

======================

I would love to. And this could be another item included in an appendix. And maybe excerpts from other writings. Maybe Ken should consider a "Named Lands Companion".

Contributor
PeteyParker

Well I finally finished Canticle and I'm finished Section 1 of Anthiphon.

First I'm in agreement with liking the blue cover more than the ARC cover but what are you going to do I guess.

Loved the prelude, I was a little worried for Rafe there when it first started because I thought for sure we'd be seeing the end of him. I guess there was enough death in the second book that it wasn't necessary to have someone die right away :smileyhappy: I can't wait to see why they needed his ship.

Right now the two things I'm really looking forward to finding out are why Issak released the bird and what kind of device Charles is going to build to spot the cloaked individuals.

Also, am I the only one who pictures Liam Neeson whenever Hebda shows up? (and not because of Qui-Gon) The way that he speaks I just immediately pictured Liam Neeson for some reason.

Author
kenscholes

The religion stuff has been intriguing to me--in part because it sounds very familiar in many ways, but also completely foreign in others.

That is exactly what I was aiming for when I talk about otherworldly biblical epic!  I'm pleased to hear it worked!