Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Moderator
paulgoatallen
Posts: 7,327
Registered: ‎08-16-2007

ANTIPHON SNEAK PEEK: Section 1, Reintroduction: page 1-87

 

 

 

And right in the very first sentence, mention of that blue/green moon....  :smileywink:

 

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
Posts: 2,456
Registered: ‎10-30-2006

Re: ANTIPHON SNEAK PEEK: Section 1, Reintroduction: page 1-87

OK, I'm up to the cover. This is the one Ken said was final. Actually the one in the ARC is different at the bottom and changes the story a bit. I don't know if the wolf is suppose to be friend or foe at this point but in the ARC it definitely looks like Neb is attacking him. In the cover below it could go either way and in the blue version above he looks more like a companion wolf. Personally, I like the blue cover better, that is if that is the way the story goes.

 

Also the use of the bird now on all the covers. That means that bird is very important. If it is the same bird throughout, "he" was very important in Laminatation and made significant appearances in Canticle. But it is definitely not the raven that was prominent in much of Canticle. At least I don't think so.

 

Actually, it looks more like an eagle or a hawk but I think the artist probably was as loose with the bird rendition as the internal artist was with chapter header mazes.

 

 

http://aidanmoher.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/antiphon-by-ken-scholes.jpg

Moderator
paulgoatallen
Posts: 7,327
Registered: ‎08-16-2007

Re: ANTIPHON SNEAK PEEK: Section 1, Reintroduction: page 1-87

[ Edited ]

Well, if we're being honest here – and I always am – I liked the "old" covers better (below): there is a timeless beauty to the Lamentation and Canticle covers and, I think, it perfectly respresents the epic scope and deep symbolism of the series. The Psalms of Isaak features an ensemble cast of characters and these covers convey that for me. The Antiphon cover is okay – but it isn't unique, it blends right in with so many other epic fantasy series out there. But hey, there is no right or wrong here, just opinion!   :smileyhappy:

 

Paul

 

 

Cover Image

 

Cover Image

 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
Posts: 2,456
Registered: ‎10-30-2006

Re: ANTIPHON SNEAK PEEK: Section 1, Reintroduction: page 1-87

Paul wrote:

I thought Ken's prelude was simply brilliant – it got me off balance immediately. Four mechoservitors steal Rafe Merrique's ship? What? And the tone for the first few chapters was decidedly different than the first two novels – much more dark. I loved it.

 

And right in the very first sentence, mention of that blue/green moon....

--------------------------------

Prelude

 

I knew you couldn't wait much longer, Paul. :smileywink:

 

The blue/green moon is definitely important. Ken was building to it more and more as he got to the end of Canticle.  If anyone has not read "A Weeping Czar Beholds the Fallen Moon", they might want to do it now. Note: Ken is dropping little hints all over the place. "The gleam of moonlight on their (mechoservitors) metal hands

 

Yes, I agree Paul. Ken has gotten us off to a running start. He has brought new readers up-to-date on at least Merrique and the mechoservitors and something is happening right off. These mechoservitors have a plan but they specifically "serve the light" which is in opposition to the Y'Zirites. The "moon sparrow" I think may be a new mechoservitor bird. There seems to be quite a few of these. And it is working with the mechoservitor. It seems the "Lighters" have been working all this time to set up their plan as well as the Y'Zirites. They also seem to have vast amounts of knowlege about current events.  Now are the "Lighters" good guys or just another set of bad guys?

Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
Posts: 2,456
Registered: ‎10-30-2006

Re: ANTIPHON SNEAK PEEK: Section 1, Reintroduction: page 1-87

We have discussed the fact that this is a mix-genre book -- and apocalyptic novel based in a "fantasy" world. But now as I think about it, and I'm not too strong on these Science Fiction terms, it is a "Steam Punk" technology. Is that right Paul?

 

Considering that these series has a toe hold in so many genres, it should be popular with a lot of different readers.

 

Oh, I got it! All that blood collection was for the Vampires! :smileywink: It's paranormal too! Maybe I should't laugh. You never know what Ken is going to come up with!

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
Posts: 3,653
Registered: ‎03-23-2009

Re: ANTIPHON SNEAK PEEK: Section 1, Reintroduction: page 1-87

I really liked the original covers, they were beautiful. The new ones are very good. Just my opinion.

 

The dedication set a good tone right from the start. I am a fan also of Ray Bradbury.

 

Luanne

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
Posts: 3,653
Registered: ‎03-23-2009

Re: ANTIPHON SNEAK PEEK: Section 1, Reintroduction: page 1-87

 


Nadine wrote:

We have discussed the fact that this is a mix-genre book -- and apocalyptic novel based in a "fantasy" world. But now as I think about it, and I'm not too strong on these Science Fiction terms, it is a "Steam Punk" technology. Is that right Paul?

 

Considering that these series has a toe hold in so many genres, it should be popular with a lot of different readers.

 

Oh, I got it! All that blood collection was for the Vampires! :smileywink: It's paranormal too! Maybe I should't laugh. You never know what Ken is going to come up with!


 

 

Nadine,

That made me laugh.

I think this is a very hard book to decide on how many genres it has.

Luanne

Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
Posts: 2,456
Registered: ‎10-30-2006

Re: ANTIPHON SNEAK PEEK: Section 1, Reintroduction: page 1-87

[ Edited ]

 


pen21 wrote:

I really liked the original covers, they were beautiful. The new ones are very good. Just my opinion.

 

The dedication set a good tone right from the start. I am a fan also of Ray Bradbury.

 

Luanne


 

 

Yes the original covers were lovely and informative as well. And I liked them too. They dipicted a scene from the book. (Well, Lamintation was a little made-up) But I think Paul hit the nail on the head when he said:

 

The Antiphon cover is okay – but it isn't unique, it blends right in with so many other epic fantasy series out there.

 

The old cover wasn't selling books. The new ones generate more excitment (like all the other epic fantasy series that sell) and what this series needs to do is grab the reader who is litterally judging books by their covers.

 

:smileyvery-happy: Now maybe they could generate even more sales if they had depicted a more muscular Neb with ripped clothing exposing his bare chest while he is fighting off the wolf that is attacking a rather well endowed half-naked Winters. :smileywink:

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
Posts: 3,653
Registered: ‎03-23-2009
0 Kudos

Re: ANTIPHON SNEAK PEEK: Section 1, Reintroduction: page 1-87

 


Nadine wrote:

 


pen21 wrote:

I really liked the original covers, they were beautiful. The new ones are very good. Just my opinion.

 

The dedication set a good tone right from the start. I am a fan also of Ray Bradbury.

 

Luanne


 

 

Yes the original covers were lovely and informative as well. And I liked them too. They dipicted a scene from the book. (Well, Lamintation was a little made-up) But I think Paul hit the nail on the head when he said:

 

The Antiphon cover is okay – but it isn't unique, it blends right in with so many other epic fantasy series out there.

 

The old cover wasn't selling books. The new ones generate more excitment (like all the other epic fantasy series that sell) and what this series needs to do is grab the reader who is litterally judging books by their covers.

 

:smileyvery-happy: Now maybe they could generate even more sales if they had depicted a more muscular Neb with ripped clothing exposing his bare chest while he is fighting off the wolf that is attacking a rather well endowed half-naked Winters. :smileywink:


 

 

Sales are important. We all need to promote how good these books are.

Your idea might be the right one, it seems to work for a lot of books on the store shelves. I have a picture in my mind already from Nadine's description. :smileyvery-happy:

Luanne

Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
Posts: 2,456
Registered: ‎10-30-2006
0 Kudos

Re: ANTIPHON SNEAK PEEK: Section 1, Reintroduction: page 1-87

[ Edited ]

Paul wrote:

And right in the very first sentence, mention of that blue/green moon.

===================================

 

Actually, I judge the quality of a book by its first sentence. I think that is what drew me to Lamentation to begin with. You can tell Ken put a lot of thought into his intial sentence. They really set the whole scene for the book. They also give some idea of the focus of the book and the tone of the story. Look at these:

 

Lamentation: "Windwir is a city of paper and robes and stone."

 

Canticle: "Sunrise on the Churning Waste was a terrifying glory."

 

Antiphon: "A rising full moon washed the calm sea in brighter tones of blue and green, bathing the shoreline as well as the robed figures who stood upon it in dim aquamarine light."

 

Hmmm! vpenny, maybe things might not be so bad after all! It is a "calm sea" and "brighter tones" and we are going to encounter a lot reference to "light". We are definitely going to learn more about this blue/green moon. The use of "robe" might be significant as well.

 

 

Moderator
paulgoatallen
Posts: 7,327
Registered: ‎08-16-2007

Re: ANTIPHON SNEAK PEEK: Section 1, Reintroduction: page 1-87

 


Nadine wrote:

We have discussed the fact that this is a mix-genre book -- and apocalyptic novel based in a "fantasy" world. But now as I think about it, and I'm not too strong on these Science Fiction terms, it is a "Steam Punk" technology. Is that right Paul?

 

Considering that these series has a toe hold in so many genres, it should be popular with a lot of different readers.

 

Oh, I got it! All that blood collection was for the Vampires! :smileywink: It's paranormal too! Maybe I should't laugh. You never know what Ken is going to come up with!


 

This is precisely why I keep calling the Psalms of Isaak a genre redefining saga, Nadine. Yes, lots of new releases are blending genre elements – just look at paranormal fantasy and its mystery, fantasy, romance and horror fusions! – but not very many writers are working with SF. It's arguably the hardest of genres to "blend" because it is based on "reality" and scientific speculation. The Psalms of isaak is very much a post apocalyptic (science fiction subgenre) series and it's equally an epic fantasy.

 

 

Steampunk is a relative term nowadays. For me, for a novel to be considered steampunk it must deal it a realm that has technology roughly parallel to our 19th century and have a strong scientific element. Most steampunk that I have read has been alternate history as well.... that said, the tech in Psalms seems way too advanced to be steampunk but that's just my two cents... Do anyone feel these novels are steampunk?

 

And if Ken throws in vampires in Requiem or Hymn, I'll projectile vomit all over the books! :smileywink:

 

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Moderator
paulgoatallen
Posts: 7,327
Registered: ‎08-16-2007
0 Kudos

Re: ANTIPHON SNEAK PEEK: Section 1, Reintroduction: page 1-87

 


Nadine wrote:

 

 

Yes the original covers were lovely and informative as well. And I liked them too. They dipicted a scene from the book. (Well, Lamintation was a little made-up) But I think Paul hit the nail on the head when he said:

 

The Antiphon cover is okay – but it isn't unique, it blends right in with so many other epic fantasy series out there.

 

The old cover wasn't selling books. The new ones generate more excitment (like all the other epic fantasy series that sell) and what this series needs to do is grab the reader who is litterally judging books by their covers.

 

:smileyvery-happy: Now maybe they could generate even more sales if they had depicted a more muscular Neb with ripped clothing exposing his bare chest while he is fighting off the wolf that is attacking a rather well endowed half-naked Winters. :smileywink:


 

 

Nadine:

I've just seen too many wolves on fantasy covers – it's so formulaic and uninspired... here are just a few, I could've probably found a dozen or so more:

 

Cover Image

 

 

Cover Image

 

 

Cover Image

 

 

Cover Image

 

Cover Image

 

 

 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
Posts: 2,456
Registered: ‎10-30-2006
0 Kudos

Re: ANTIPHON SNEAK PEEK: Section 1, Reintroduction: page 1-87

paul wrote:

Steampunk is a relative term nowadays. For me, for a novel to be considered steampunk it must deal it a realm that has technology roughly parallel to our 19th century and have a strong scientific element. Most steampunk that I have read has been alternate history as well.... that said, the tech in Psalms seems way too advanced to be steampunk but that's just my two cents... Do anyone feel these novels are steampunk?

==================================

 

Ah! Thanks for the clarification. I thought because the mechoservitors were powered by steam that made it steampunk. So it has to be high-tech 19th century. The only steampunk I've read was The Alchemy in Stone and (I think also steampunk) His Dark Materials trilogy.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
Posts: 2,456
Registered: ‎10-30-2006
0 Kudos

Re: ANTIPHON SNEAK PEEK: Section 1, Reintroduction: page 1-87

That is interesting. All women and wolves and, in all but the first, they are companions.

 

Paul wrote:

Nadine:

I've just seen too many wolves on fantasy covers – it's so formulaic and uninspired... here are just a few, I could've probably found a dozen or so more:

 

Cover Image

 

 

Cover Image

 

 

Cover Image

 

 

Cover Image

 

Cover Image

 

 

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
Posts: 2,456
Registered: ‎10-30-2006

Re: ANTIPHON SNEAK PEEK: Section 1, Reintroduction: page 1-87

Prelude

 

I haven't gotten beyond the Prelude yet. I'm kind of marking time until more people are aware of the fact that Paul has said "Go" and put up the threads and we are on our way. So I'm going to hold on posting about the chapters for now. Well actually, I haven't read them yet either.

 

Ken packs so much information into his preludes and postludes. Canticle ended with the Watcher being a mechoservitor but this one seems to be sided with Y'Zirites and in fact seems to be the author of their Gospel which is their "playbook". He is also in the forest near the Machvolk shrine. His kin-raven heads south at the end.

 

Now the mechoservitors in the Antiphon Prelude seem to be on another side. They seem sided with the goals of the androfrancines. They are also nicer. They didn't harm Rafe, they made sure he and his men were provided for and they intend to return his ship. I assume this is all taking place along the southern coast of the Churning Waste. But the "moon sparrow" flies northeast -- back to the Named Lands.

 

I don't know what to make of the birds but I don't think Churning Waste mechoservitors are part of the Watcher's gang. The lead mechoservitor says "We have urgent need of your vessel in the formulation of our response." I think they were surprised by what happened as well. But they all seem beyond any programing and can formulate their own descisions and execute plans on their own. We may end up with a war of the mechoservitors.

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
Posts: 3,653
Registered: ‎03-23-2009

Re: ANTIPHON SNEAK PEEK: Section 1, Reintroduction: page 1-87

 


Nadine wrote:

Prelude

 

I haven't gotten beyond the Prelude yet. I'm kind of marking time until more people are aware of the fact that Paul has said "Go" and put up the threads and we are on our way. So I'm going to hold on posting about the chapters for now. Well actually, I haven't read them yet either.

 

Ken packs so much information into his preludes and postludes. Canticle ended with the Watcher being a mechoservitor but this one seems to be sided with Y'Zirites and in fact seems to be the author of their Gospel which is their "playbook". He is also in the forest near the Machvolk shrine. His kin-raven heads south at the end.

 

Now the mechoservitors in the Antiphon Prelude seem to be on another side. They seem sided with the goals of the androfrancines. They are also nicer. They didn't harm Rafe, they made sure he and his men were provided for and they intend to return his ship. I assume this is all taking place along the southern coast of the Churning Waste. But the "moon sparrow" flies northeast -- back to the Named Lands.

 

I don't know what to make of the birds but I don't think Churning Waste mechoservitors are part of the Watcher's gang. The lead mechoservitor says "We have urgent need of your vessel in the formulation of our response." I think they were surprised by what happened as well. But they all seem beyond any programing and can formulate their own descisions and execute plans on their own. We may end up with a war of the mechoservitors.


 

 

Nadine,

I had to think of the motives for the mechoservitors taking care not to hurt Rafe, but did take over his ship. Your point on programming is what I am thinking, that they are doing what they are programmed to do and others would not stand in their way (but not hurt them). One quote be it programmed or more heartfelt from the mechoservitor reflects this - "My deepest apologies, for this violence and deception." Yes Ken packs a lot in those first few pages.

Luanne

Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
Posts: 2,456
Registered: ‎10-30-2006
0 Kudos

Re: ANTIPHON SNEAK PEEK: Section 1, Reintroduction: page 1-87

[ Edited ]

Thomas just posted the Publisher's Weekly Starred review of Antiphon over in the ARC thread but I thought I would share part of it with us Read-Along readers:

 

"A diverse cast of dynamic characters, a tantalizingly labyrinthine mystery, a world full of wonders, and powerful symbolism and imagery power this seamless merging of epic fantasy and science fiction."                                              -- Publishers Weekly, Starred Review.

 

We knew this. I really liked this: a tantalizingly labyrinthine mystery. This is going to be great fun! Pull out your maginifying glass Scholes Sleuths!

 

Full review

 

I took this off the B&N site.

 

Publishers Weekly

The third installment of Scholes's grand-scale Psalms of Isaak saga (after 2009's Canticle) expands the genre-blending narrative in glorious style. The secret revival of the bloody Y'Zirite religion, which may be an elaborate conspiracy created generations ago to bring down the Androfrancine Order, has brought madness to the Named Lands. Gypsy King Rudolfo, whose infant son is being called the "Child of Promise" by the cultists, finds blood-magicked spies in his home and enemies in his forest. And as the invisible enemy furthers its masterfully orchestrated invasion, Rudolfo and others hear an ethereal music that seems to require some kind of response. A diverse cast of dynamic characters, a tantalizingly labyrinthine mystery, a world full of wonders, and powerful symbolism and imagery power this seamless merging of epic fantasy and science fiction. (Sept.)

Moderator
paulgoatallen
Posts: 7,327
Registered: ‎08-16-2007

Re: ANTIPHON SNEAK PEEK: Section 1, Reintroduction: page 1-87

Wow, that Publishers Weekly review is really well written! The reviewer must really know what he's talking about!  :smileywink:

 

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Distinguished Correspondent
salander_9277
Posts: 108
Registered: ‎07-07-2010

Re: ANTIPHON SNEAK PEEK: Section 1, Reintroduction: page 1-87

Just read through the prelude.  I was wondering what the supplies stolen from the Churning Wastes were going to be used for...  I guess now we know!  At least we know how some of them are going to be used.  Where are the mechoservitors sailing for do you think?  I'm not good at guessing these things.  Did they move the Sanctorum Lux somewhere else, do you think???  Ahhhh ok I cannot wait any longer to read the first chapter or so.  Be back to comment more!

 

Jaime

To acquire the habit of reading is to construct for yourself a refuge from almost all the miseries of life. ~W. Somerset Maugham

http://greatexpectationsbookreview.blogspot.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
Posts: 2,456
Registered: ‎10-30-2006
0 Kudos

Re: ANTIPHON SNEAK PEEK: Section 1, Reintroduction: page 1-87

 


salander_9277 wrote:

Just read through the prelude.  I was wondering what the supplies stolen from the Churning Wastes were going to be used for...  I guess now we know!  At least we know how some of them are going to be used.  Where are the mechoservitors sailing for do you think?  I'm not good at guessing these things.  Did they move the Sanctorum Lux somewhere else, do you think???  Ahhhh ok I cannot wait any longer to read the first chapter or so.  Be back to comment more!

 

Jaime


 

 

Hey, good start Jaime!

 

Did they move the Sanctorum Lux somewhere else.  

I was wondering the same thing. I was under the impression in Canticle that they destroyed Sanctorum Lux. But now I wonder if they preceived a danger or that destruction was done by the Y'Zirites. These mechoservators definitely seem to be protectors of the "Light" while the others are out to destroy it.

 

As far as where they are sailing to. I can't guess right now. They do seem to be on a mission to find out something so they can formulate a plan. And they intend to return.