Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
dalnewt
0 Kudos

Re: ANTIPHON SNEAK PEEK: Section 3, Revelations: page 168-264

[ Edited ]

Nadine wrote:

Am I reading this statement from page 215 correctly:

"Yes, Great Mother. Their union will heal a world broken by deicide."

This is not a typo?

That is certainly a chuck of unexpected information casually dropped in! There are some other casually dropped remarks in this chapter of great "revelations" like the "Eve of the Falling Moon" at the time of Vlad's and Rudolfo's fathers, which certainly has left me confused on my timeline. I placed this event around 4,000 years ago. I know there is more to come and I haven't even finished this section yet. Are we getting hints for Paul's "bombshells"!? OK, don't tell me yet. I have to think this one out. But this POV is certainly sending me in new directions.

Apparently, this ancient 'Watcher' mechoservitor and the Y'Zirite gospels he has created considers the eradication of the Seven Wizard Kings by P'Andro Whym to be tantamount to the killing of gods. Also, presumably this prophesied union of the Child of Promise and the Crimson Empress refers to a future marriage between them. 

Contributor
AnnahE

I read this section faster than any other.  I just couldn't put this book down.  I have so many thoughts and question...I know that all will be answered soon.  Hebda alive?...OMG!  I can't wait to continue and I am loving all of the other comments and thoughts. 

dalnewt

I was just reading the Antiphon General Discussion Thread and noticed that Ken Scholes mentioned something about the younger god D'Anjite being named after his friend Daniel.

I got to wondering why Ken would be mentioning such a minor character (for whom the bridge in Canticle is named. Note, that bridge apparently was created by the younger god D'Anjite to aid the flight of survivors of Xhum Y'Zir's wrath into the West.)

Then, I started to wonder about the mysterious 'he' Hebda mentions to Neb when explaining why Hebda left Neb alone to witness the destruction of Windwir.

When speaking to Hebda, Neb states,"You knew and you left me on that hillside. I didn't forget the papers." (See Antiphon p. 263.)

And, Hebda replies,"I argued against it, but he told us it had to be that way. He swore that you would--" (See Antiphon p. 263.) (At that point Neb punches Hebda.)

So, putting this mysterious 'he' who Hebda mentions together with Ken's surprising reference to a barely mentioned character of D'Anjite, I've  come up with a suspicion that this younger god D'Anjite is actually the 'he' referred to by Hebda. Further, I suspect that D'Anjite might actually be Neb's biological father.

dhaupt

As is my custom I'm going to comment on my reaction to section 3 before I read any of the previous comments, so please forgive me if there are any repeats.

Okay WOW, Ken you are amazing and frustrating and a genius (evil of course). Just stomp on all my preconceptions.

My first comment is about the end of the section - yes Hebba lives and not just him, so how many survived the end of Windwir, and most important were they part of the downfall. I think, oh gosh Ken's got me so confused I don't know. What about the rest of you.

Winters is dreaming again that's a blessing and a curse

Ria, I still hate Ria, she has ulterior motives, what are they. I don't know (pulling my hair as I'm saying this)

Rudolfo is turning into a drunk under the pressure of his kingdom slowly collapsing under him. I can see why he would, it's a lot to endure.

Ah the metal men what are they planning, is it really for the light or is there darkness planted in their scripts to detonate at some particular time just like the role Isaak played in the destruction of Windwir, what does the Dreaming King's missing pages have to do with everything. And what part does Petronus play in this Act 111 of Ken's making.

Vlad is still chasing ghosts in the water after they lead him to the "ladder".

My greatest regret, we have to wait a year until we get some more answers, oh wait, we'll probably only have more questions. ;-)

dhaupt

Nadine wrote:

Does anyone have any ideas on why no one will kill Rudolfo? The Great Mother and Child of Promise I can understand. But everyone -- the Macktvolk and the Blood Guards both will not kill him and go to great effort to avoid doing it and telling him.

I'll add my 2 cents, I think he's meant for something great at the end of the series, his life has been carefully constructed by the Tams even as far as to marry and procreate with one and it seems somewhere out there the Tams are still making and breaking dynasties. The thing I don't know is, will his greatness be because of his parentage of Jakob or will it be in his own right.

dhaupt

dalnewt wrote:

I'm curious as to why Jin Li seems to be withholding info from Rudolfo concerning his father taking the mark of House Y'Zir. She's also not telling Winters about the ancient 'Watcher' mecho and the request to turn over  the second generation library mechos. 

I think her inner Tam is showing here.

Also, why is Winter's withholding info from Jin about her dreams and the addition of same to the Book of Dreaming Kings? Later she admits to Jin that the first generation mechos met her in the Cavern of the Book and that they are studying the Book of Dreaming kings to find a way home. But, her admission occurs only because of the gypsy scout guard followed her into the cavern and observed her with the mechos. 

Maybe Winters only reveals this to Jin because she's being guarded by the Scouts and they found out when they followed her.

Also, it appears that Rudolfo hasn't told Jin Li about the attack by the Y'Zirite Blood Guards in the cavern with the hatch to the underground. (Note, Jin mentions that Rudolfo gives her no news of home as indicated on page 243.)

It's strange how Jin, Winters and Rudolfo are all keeping secrets from each other.  

It is but I recall a quote made by Jin about Winters secrets pg 244 Jin says " This is no time for secrets. She wanted to say, but then thought of the Watcher in his cave-a mechoservitor like none she'd seen before, hiding here in the north. She'd not sought Winters out to share this knowledge with her. Neither had she told the girl about the metal men this Watcher and his regent wished to bring under their care to keep them from being exposed to the very mechanicals Winters had seen deep in the caves of the Dragon's Spine."

And the secrets just keep piling up

Inspired Wordsmith
krb2g

Wow! I'm planning on posting this comment and then moving on to the last section--at this point I can't wait (and I'm not quite sure how I'll wait for Requiem and Hymn!). What a development (series of developments). Did anyone see the part about the garden on the moon--could that be what makes it blue/green? In the big picture, the three most important/surprising things happening in this section, for me at least, were 1) the fact that Jin Li Tam's father and Rudolfo's father (the original Jakob) were secret Y'Zirites! Like someone earlier on the thread, I wonder why doesn't Jin Li Tam tell Rudolfo this? 2) the fact that Ria and the Marshvolk are not behind a lot of what we've been pining on them--and that the Crimson Empress doesn't consider herself answerable to these people--I had been thinking the Crimson Empress was prophecied (and maybe even that someone behind the scenes had claimed the mantel)--but she didn't feel real to me. Now she does! 3) the connection between the dreams, the canticle, and the antiphon seem a lot clearer. Hebda gets sketchier and sketchier. Also, someone suggested that perhaps Neb is the son of one of the younger gods--I've been wondering if Petronous is a candidate to be his father--he's certainly acted like more of a father than Hebda at this point. Exciting!
dalnewt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Jin might not be willing to tell Rudolfo that his father was a secret Y'Zirite because she doesn't want to hurt him. Alternatively, she might consider the source of the info, the ancient 'Watcher' mecho, to be unreliable. After all he killed her gypsy scouts and 'enjoys' distilling blood magic. Note, she has a hard time believing that Rodolfo's father was a Y'Zirite given the numerous times he rode against Y'Zirite uprisings under the Androfrancine flag.

As for Rodolfo not telling Jin Li about what's happening in the Ninefold Forest, well, it's obvious that he's depressed by his inability to protect his family, inability to fight the blood magick'd Blood Guard and revelations concerning the extent of Y'Zirite faith among his own people. Also, he probably doesn't mention this info to Jin because it wouldn't serve any purpose and would only distress her. There's nothing Jin can do other than spy and tend to Jakob so long as she remains in Machtvolk territory. So he may think it's better not to tell her anything.

Furthermore, both may be afraid to be candid in bird borne messages which can easily be intercepted. 

These same considerations have no relevance to the secrets between Jin and Winters. It just seems like Winters feels that things which concern the Machtvolk loyal to her and the homeward dream do not concern Jin.

Similarly, Jin may feel that the mechoservitors, including the 'Watcher' mecho, do not really concern Winters. But, I don't see how Jin can maintain that thought given the Watcher's role in creating the Y'Zirite resurgence among the Machtvolk.

Note, Winters also doesn't tell Jin about the Voice Magicks she takes and hides in her room. I wonder what she intends to use the magick for? Maybe she wants to declare herself the true Machtvolk queen.

In any case it's clear that a loyalist Machtvolk revolution is necessary from Winter's perspective. 

dalnewt

The ancient 'Watcher' mecho says he contains 13% of the Y'Zir library. I think he may be the mecho who maintained Raj Y'Zir's library in the Weeping Czar material. The one who told Amal about the hidden 'world' she couldn't see that led to her breaking through her father's spells and seeing the earth in her sky and remembering her sister. 

dalnewt

[ Edited ]

I never posted my general thoughts and feelings about this section because I wanted to process everything.

This third section of the book literally flew by. It was a great read and so much happened. At this point the book just seemed intent on moving everything forward and getting Neb out of harms way and revealing more about the mecho's role in deciphering the Antiphon from the Book of Dreaming Kings. I was totally blown away by Vlad's discovery of the Moon Wizard's Ladder and am consumed by curiosity concerning the behemoth. Also, I'm intrigued by the explanations and revelations that await concerning Neb and the presence of the grey guard and Hebda in the Beneath Places. Also, I really enjoyed Jin's tea with the ancient 'Watcher' mecho w/in the cave. Ever since the Postlude to Canticle I've been expecting this mecho to show up again, and I was very satisfied that my thoughts about the 'Watcher' involvement with the Y'Zirite resurgence were confirmed. Rudolfo seemed to be more passive in this section, but I suspect that he will eventually become active again and figure out that he has to unite the kingdoms of the Named Lands to defeat the Y'Zirites.  

Note, I was not that surprised by the revelation about Rodolfo's father taking the mark of the House Y'Zir. His conversion made sense to me given the similar conversion of Jin's grandfather and the fact that Rudolfo's son, (his grandson), would rule alongside the Crimson Empress. It's a powerful motivator for any king to be guaranteed that his grandchild will one day rule the world with his wife, the Crimson Empress. 

Contributor
bethmeacham

"Deicide" is not a typo.  But consider the source of the comment. 

Nadine

dhaupt wrote:

Nadine wrote:

Does anyone have any ideas on why no one will kill Rudolfo? The Great Mother and Child of Promise I can understand. But everyone -- the Macktvolk and the Blood Guards both will not kill him and go to great effort to avoid doing it and telling him.

I'll add my 2 cents, I think he's meant for something great at the end of the series, his life has been carefully constructed by the Tams even as far as to marry and procreate with one and it seems somewhere out there the Tams are still making and breaking dynasties. The thing I don't know is, will his greatness be because of his parentage of Jakob or will it be in his own right.

Ya know Debbie, as I think on this, you are probably right. Obviously Rudolfo's father and Vlad's father were involved in this somehow since they were major Y'Zirite converts (and I'm not sure exactly what that means anymore). Rudolfo character and destiny have been formed by the Tams,so he has been set up for some big part. I think his part as the parent of Jakob is minor. Rodolfo himself has to be an important part of THE PLAN.

And you got me thinking about another thing that has been bugging me and several other people -- that of the part of Lysias. He just seems to show up at critical times. Like in arresting Sethbert, the suicide-killing of Resolute, the killing of Ignatio, and now the major force in building up Rudolfo's army and the only one willing to tell Rudolfo to his face that he is turning into a drunk and should pull himself together. Whatever destiny Rudolfo is headed toward, I think Lysias will be part of forming it.

What do you think Luanne? You are the one who first brought up Lysias.

dalnewt
0 Kudos

Deicide is the killing of a god. The term deicide was coined in the 17th century from medival Latin *deicidium, from de-us "god" and -cidium "cutting, killing")

The concept is applied to the Crucifixtion of Jesus specifically, but may be used with to any life-death-rebirth deity who is killed and then supposedly resurrected.

In Christianity, the concept was notably used in the question of guilt associated with a responsibility for the death of Jesus.  (Taken from Wikipedia.)

Nadine
0 Kudos

bethmeacham wrote:

Oh, ho Beth! Big clue. Now I know who not to believe. Bad guy, bad guy! There was a ton of stuff in that segment, but now I will look on it with a different light! :smileyhappy:

dalnewt

Nadine wrote:

bethmeacham wrote:

Oh, ho Beth! Big clue. Now I know who not to believe. Bad guy, bad guy! There was a ton of stuff in that segment, but now I will look on it with a different light! :smileyhappy:

The ancient 'watcher' mecho is definitely a bad guy. He's behind the Machtvolk Y'Zirite resurgence, distills blood magick for kicks and cut up the gypsy scouts sent into his cave into piles of meat. He oversaw the Y'Zirite education of Ria and is in contact with the Regent of this mysterious Y'Zirite Empire responsible for the ruthless 'Blood Guards' who cut up Neb in the Wastes and cut down Rudolfo's men in the cavern. Plus, since he holds 13% of the Y'zir library I suspect him of being the mecho mentioned in the Weeping Czar material. Presumably he accompanied Raj Y'Zir to earth during the Year of the Fallen Moon and went on to serve Xhum and, perhaps, carry the Seven Cacophonic Deaths into an area of the then settled lands causing him to become blackened, scratched and pitted.    

pen21

Nadine wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

Nadine wrote:

Ya know Debbie, as I think on this, you are probably right. Obviously Rudolfo's father and Vlad's father were involved in this somehow since they were major Y'Zirite converts (and I'm not sure exactly what that means anymore). Rudolfo character and destiny have been formed by the Tams,so he has been set up for some big part. I think his part as the parent of Jakob is minor. Rodolfo himself has to be an important part of THE PLAN.

And you got me thinking about another thing that has been bugging me and several other people -- that of the part of Lysias. He just seems to show up at critical times. Like in arresting Sethbert, the suicide-killing of Resolute, the killing of Ignatio, and now the major force in building up Rudolfo's army and the only one willing to tell Rudolfo to his face that he is turning into a drunk and should pull himself together. Whatever destiny Rudolfo is headed toward, I think Lysias will be part of forming it.

Well, Lysias showed a different side to his personality in my opinion. It takes a lot for a friend to tell his commanding officer to straighten out and quit drinking. But which side is Lysias on? There are so many to choose from now. I still don't think Rudolfo should trust him so much. My thoughts on Rudolfo are that he is being manipulated, in fact was his whole family manipulated. What did Rudolfo's father have to sacrifice to keep Rudolfo alive? Rudolfo was a child king, obviously easy to manipulate a child. Jin as his wife and Jakob, it all seems too convenient now. Who helped force all this to happen? Who will benefit?

Still so many questions for me. Luanne

dalnewt

pen21 wrote:

Nadine wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

Nadine wrote:

Well, Lysias showed a different side to his personality in my opinion. It takes a lot for a friend to tell his commanding officer to straighten out and quit drinking. But which side is Lysias on? There are so many to choose from now. I still don't think Rudolfo should trust him so much. My thoughts on Rudolfo are that he is being manipulated, in fact was his whole family manipulated. What did Rudolfo's father have to sacrifice to keep Rudolfo alive? Rudolfo was a child king, obviously easy to manipulate a child. Jin as his wife and Jakob, it all seems too convenient now. Who helped force all this to happen? Who will benefit?

Still so many questions for me. Luanne

I agree. Lysias' was suspect to me because he encouraged Rudolfo to build up a standing army which I feared would lead to Rudolfo warring with the other Named Lands, specifically Pylos or Turam. Also, he switched loyalties before transferring from Sethbert and then Erlund to Rudolfo. But, when he has the guts to tell Rudolfo that he's becoming a drunk and to advise Rudolfo to conquer his fears, well, at that point all my suspicions of Lysias diminished, (if not completely vanished). And, now I realize that indeed a standing army will be needed by rudolfo if he's to make a difference in the upcoming conflict with this mysterious Y'Zirite Empire. I don't know how he'll overcome the obvious advantage of the blood magicks, but the Androfrancines hidden in the Beneath Places may assist rudolfo in some way. Plus, Rudolfo now knows about this other empires interference in his land, and is in a perfect position to warn and, perhaps united the Named Lands against this empire.   

Distinguished Correspondent
salander_9277

I haven't read any of the replies yet, I wanted to just kind of put my thoughts down.

It's interesting we finally found out who the Watcher is.  And now it seems Charles and Isaak know that there must be 1 or more of these older Rufello made mechoservitors involved.  

Now Neb, is healed from the bargaining pool...what did Hebda bargain for him?  I mean, what does that mean?  Does that mean he spilled blood for him or something?  

Everything is culminating to this huge event and I can feel it but I can't determine what roles are to be played by our characters.  We have Vlad Li Tam following "the light-bearer" (aka the d'jin in the waters) to the Moon Wizard's Ladder.  And the Ladder itself confounds me.  What is this Ladder exactly?  Does it somehow magically transport you to the blue-green moon once the Canticle receives its response (the antiphon)?  I don't know for sure but it is curious that the mechoservitors that tried to approach it had much difficulty at least Obadiah did.

I am feeling a theme, and correct me if I've gone astray, but I feel like the Y'Zirites have black things (kin-raven, the dreaming stones) and the side trying to protect the Light has silver (the moon sparrows, the moon shaped sliver playing the canticle).  So when I read the description for the Moon Wizard's Ladder with the silver globe at the top I assume the building is part of "saving the Light" but yet it's the Moon Wizard's (who is a Y'Zir). So I don't know, maybe I'm trying to make connections where there are none.  Or are there "good" Y'Zirites working for the Light and then "bad" ones who are working against them?  Maybe I'm just confused :smileyhappy:

Rudolfo - what is up with him drinking?  Why has he lost so much confidence in himself?  I'm almost annoyed by his pathetic behavior.  And I really love Rudolfo so that's hard for me to bear.  I can see he's really haunted by the weight on his shoulders but c'mon man, buck up!  Hopefully his soldiers got through to him.

Jin Li Tam - I feel more of her contempt for Ria under the surface now...which is better.  I couldn't fathom her being so compliant even though she was a servant to her father for many years she also has a backbone and is like a warrior queen...I don't like to see her as spineless.

Winters - YAY!  I'm so excited for what's to come for her.  I have no idea what it is but I just feel this strength building inside her.  I love it.

And Ria - she's just plain creepy.  I do not like her. 

To acquire the habit of reading is to construct for yourself a refuge from almost all the miseries of life. ~W. Somerset Maugham

http://greatexpectationsbookreview.blogspot.com
salander_9277

I read through most of the replies and had some thoughts.

I wonder if Tam blood was needed for kin-healing and for blood magicks because Jakob is a Tam as well?  What I mean is that Ria kept telling Vlad that she was his kin-healer and maybe his blood was not sacred for the magicks unless he was in essence converted and that Tam blood was collected to create the blood magicks strong enough to heal Jakob.  Of course Petronus was brought back to life with the same blood magicks so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about haha.

Also Rudolfo's father may have taken the mark for reasons other than actually being a Y'Zirite.  It's hard to say.  I was surprised Jin Li did not tell Rudolfo this however, because then his discovery of thousands of his people being Y'Zirites would maybe be less surprising.

I think Rudolfo is being spared because his father was Y'Zirite and because he plays some role in the Antiphon maybe or another big piece of the puzzle at a later time.

To acquire the habit of reading is to construct for yourself a refuge from almost all the miseries of life. ~W. Somerset Maugham

salander_9277

Oh and lastly, do you think Winters will go to the Mass and what do you think will happen?  It seems like some key element to Ria's winning her sister over or whatever she's trying to do.