Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

paulgoatallen

APRIL FEATURE #3: The Unincorporated Man by Dani Kollin and Eytan Kollin

[ Edited ]

The Unincorporated Man is the "sleeper" pick this month. Two debut authors  (brothers) and a novel that has been already been compared to Heinlein's The Moon is a Harsh Mistress and called a genre classic.

It's set in a world that has suffered a complete economic collapse and is reinventing itself as it rises from the ashes. Here's the teaser: "A brilliant industrialist named Justin Cord awakes from a 300-year cryonic suspension into a world that has accepted an extreme form of market capitalism. It's a world in which humans themselves have become incorporated and most people no longer own a majority of themselves. Justin Cord is now the last free man in the human race - owned by no one and owning no one."

The Publishers Weekly review was nothing short of fantastic: "Fans of SF as a vehicle of ideas will devour this intriguing debut."

I haven't had the chance to read this novel yet but I'd love to hear what others have to say about this book!

Paul 

Message Edited by paulgoatallen on 03-31-2009 09:42 PM
"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Frequent Contributor
lilithesquee
0 Kudos

Re: APRIL FEATURE #3: The Unincorporated Man by Dani Kollin and Eytan Kollin

Well, this book looks interesting to me and l loved the other "sleeper"  I read (Ghost Radio) so I am going to try to track this book down. 

Lily

Dude, Where's My Book!
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

lilithesquee wrote:

Well, this book looks interesting to me and l loved the other "sleeper"  I read (Ghost Radio) so I am going to try to track this book down. 

Lily

Lily:

I love "sleeper" releases – the good stuff that goes unnoticed by the masses. Someone should write a book called Sleeper.

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Inspired Wordsmith
lilithesque
0 Kudos

I believe there is a book called Sleeper or Sleepers.  I saw the movie about four boys and a bad priest, repressed memories and stuff.  But a sci fi one about sleeping sleepers or dreamers or hidden triggers buried in books...yea.  that sound fun. 
Dude, Where's my book!
Distinguished Wordsmith
PenelopeTX
0 Kudos

Getting off to a late start again, but I am really excited about this book. I am only on page 25, but I have already been struck by several thoughts (ouch).

Investing in other's future potential is something that has been a part of our society forever. Parenting was the first form, naturally, but the gain there is well-being, not financial (although I am guessing that in the book there will be financial gain there as well). We attempt financial gain from other's future potential when we give scholarships and grants, for example (come to our university, these successful people did). Much of the time, private scholarships require one to work for the provider after you have graduated. Corporate sponsorships say "We are a caring company" while making a profit too. Almost no one could afford medical school, probably, if they didn't have someone believing in their future potential.

A line on page 12 sounds chilling in the context of this book, but what seems interesting to me is that the line could be said here and now and sound quite natural, even right. 

"All would benefit from the investment that individuals and society had made in him--as it should be." 

PenelopeTX
Do NOT invoke my inner Mama Bear! (Credited to me)
Inspired Wordsmith
lilithesque
0 Kudos

Sadly, the Unincorporated Man is not owned by my county library system.  The next tier up is regional, and called Prospector.  They have a couple copies, but they are checked out and on reserve already.  The system wont let me even reserve the book.  This has happened before, and a month later or so if I try to borrow it it usually will let me.  

As a matter of fact, all the books on this monthly book discussion forum are either unavailable or already are checked out with multiple folks ahead of me with holds.  Sheesh.  If I wasn't on unemployment, I sometimes buy books when all library efforts fail me.   Oh well.  I think I will try to reserve the May & June books now.   I may be talking about this book in a few months.  It sounds really interesting. 

Lily

Dude, Where's my book!
Distinguished Wordsmith
PenelopeTX
0 Kudos

Lily, sorry things are rough. At least we have the great people in this group. I'd love to talk to you about this book whenever you are ready.
PenelopeTX
Inspired Wordsmith
lilithesque
0 Kudos

PenelopeTX wrote:
Lily, sorry things are rough. At least we have the great people in this group. I'd love to talk to you about this book whenever you are ready.

Great.  I am going to try again to order it through Interlibrary loan next week.  Your earlier comments made me want to read it even worse.  I love politics in my fantasy/scifi. 

Dude, Where's my book!
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Just finished The Unincorporated Man – not a quick read – and I'm, frankly, disappointed. I know the goal of publishers is largely to sell books and one way of promoting books is including (mostly) realistic praise in press releases, back cover blurbage, etc. But I think the hype here for this particular book was a little over done. The novel was compared to Heinlein's classic The Moon is a Harsh Mistress and I'll agree with that – the vision, thematic scope, depth of speculation, etc. was all exceptional but there was a line on the back of the book – a sentence that really compelled me to initially pick it up – that I am having trouble swallowing:

"People will be arguing about this novel and this world for decades."

I'm all for promoting great works but this was just blatantly prentious. I wish that one sentence wasn't on the back of this book – I think I would've felt a whole lot better about this read...

That said, I thought the premise – personal incorporation – was fascinating. The quote from Milton Friedman at the beginning of the first chapter was a brilliant way to begin the novel:

"The counterpart for education (financing) would be to 'buy' a share in an individual's earning prospects; to advance him the funds needed to finance his training on condition that he agree to pay the lender a specified fraction of his future earnings. There seems no legal obstacle to private contracts of this kind, even though they are economically equivalent to the purchase of a share in an individual's earning capacity and thus to partial slavery." Milton Friedman, 1962

The "three-hundred-year nap" (p. 101) concept has been done dozens of times before so that part of the storyline wasn't especially original and the Kollin brothers vision of the near future was interesting but again there were numerous "derivative" ideas – like flying cars – that made certain parts of this read just pedestrian for me. 

The most powerful aspect, obviously, was the economics of the whole system – that part I did find fascinating.

Also, did anyone catch the reference to "President Winfrey" on page 47?  Do we have closet Oprah fans here or what?

Paul 

Distinguished Wordsmith
PenelopeTX
0 Kudos

Boy, where was I? Must of been one of those times I was trying to read and my life got in the way... missed it.

I'm only a little over 100 pages in, but just haven't had the sit down time. Will try to finish up soon.

paulgoatallen wrote:

Also, did anyone catch the reference to "President Winfrey" on page 47?  Do we have closet Oprah fans here or what?

Paul 

PenelopeTX
Distinguished Wordsmith
PenelopeTX
0 Kudos

All of the corporate style lingo usage is starting to get to me (i.e. "perker" person + stockbrocker). Maybe it is used so frequently to help us feel the atmosphere of this new world Justin has found himself in. But I don't like it when real people in this world do it, so when it is taken a step further and becomes the language of the time -- I just want to scream. 

I can't explain why, but the world-building elements the brothers Kollin are using, like the lingo, the fire hydrants of blue crystal,  are pulling me out of the story. They aren't there as a seamless part of the landscape. They are jarring. I hope the Kollins are able to smooth out the rough patches further into the story. The premise is interesting and I want the story to be a success.

PenelopeTX
Inspired Wordsmith
lilithesque
0 Kudos

Well, this book is waiting for me at the library.  I am sad to be hearing the latest comments but I am gunna give it a whirl this weekend. 

Happy weekend. 

Lily

Dude, Where's my book!
Distinguished Wordsmith
PenelopeTX
0 Kudos

Yes, please let us know what you think Lily. 
PenelopeTX
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hey guys:

It looks like this thread has just about run its course but before we move on to May, I wanted to share some news.

Just got an email today from Dani Kollin and he has informed me (us) that, yes, there WILL be a sequel to The Unincorporated Man. The release date is tentatively set for May, 2010, and it picks up right where this novel leaves off. Thanks, Dani, for the heads up!

Paul
Message Edited by paulgoatallen on 04-27-2009 11:16 PM