Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Re: ARCS FOR ANTIPHON BY KEN SCHOLES! READ THIS THREAD, PEOPLE!!!

Melhay wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

Well, I'm done.

OMG.

You know how "middle" volumes of series are considered bridge books are are generally not as exciting as the first and last books? Ken, I believe, went out of his way to structure this installment so that it was arguably the best volume yet – TONS of tidbits concerning the grand conspiracy, the Young Gods, and that freaking blue-green moon that has been driving me crazy as well as – OMG – bombshell plot revelations that simultaneously further the storyline and turn it on its head. Unbelievable novel.... trust me on this, you guys are going to be dying when you finish! When does Requiem come out???

Paul

Paul it's funny you should bring up this blue-green moon again.  I have been starting to think on the series again, then I will grab my books to catch up on my notes.  But this Moon is on the top of my list.  I think it is a very important piece in the puzzle, but we don't have all the pieces yet.  I look forward to learning more about it. :smileyhappy:  Thanks!  And the Young Gods too!  I have been interested in them for some time.

MUST....NOT....SPEAK....FURTHER! Mel, seriously, I am bursting here – this is the "game-changer" installment where things are flipped on their head....This discussion is going to be amazing! It'll be the literary highpoint of the summer, for sure!

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Frequent Contributor
BryanThomasS

Just found the cover link for Ken's upcoming short story collection from Fairwood.  http://tbclone47.livejournal.com/360126.html  Great cover!

Author of "The North Star Serial" and "The Worker Prince."

www.bryanthomasschmidt.net
paulgoatallen

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Bibliophile
Melhay

Okay, Paul I CAN-NOT-WAIT after that post on this next book.  We always have amazing discussions with Kens book.  But this sounds like a new level!  I am going to have to buy extra stickie notes for this one. :smileywink:

And the cover of the new book!!! LOVE IT! Thanks!

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

BryanThomasS wrote:

Just found the cover link for Ken's upcoming short story collection from Fairwood.  http://tbclone47.livejournal.com/360126.html  Great cover!

Thanks for sharing with us. And Paul thanks for posting.

That is an amazing cover. The cover gets your mind working even before you can open the book. Love the cover.

pen21

Frequent Contributor
BryanThomasS

Sorry, Paul.  Wasn't sure if I should paste it or not.   Beautiful design though, isn't it?  Fairwood's publisher, his old friend Patrick, designed it.

Author
kenscholes

Actually, the cover art for Diving Mimes... is from Patrick's brother, Paul, who also did the cover for the first collection, Long Walks....

The second collection has the tie-in "A Weeping Czar Beholds the Fallen Moon" and the never-before-published second short story in what I was calling The Androfrancine Cycle, "Of Missing Kings and Backward Dreams and the Honoring of Lies," about a mysterious old man who arrives in the Ninefold Forest claiming to be a Pope who'd been thought dead for thirty years...along with a bunch of other stories.  It'll likely be my last collection for a while since I'm writing wayyyyyy fewer short stories these days.

Frequent Contributor
BryanThomasS
0 Kudos

Thanks for the clarification, Ken.  Sorry for my faulty memory

Author
kenscholes

My memory barely functions, Bryan.  I have a bad case of Twinitis.  :smileyhappy:

Hey, everyone, in case you don't follow me on Facebook:  I'll be part of the group blog Genreality (www.genreality.net) starting Saturday July 3.  I'd love to know what kinds of topics you're interested in hearing from me about so feel free to send me your suggestions by email, FB or right here if that's easiest.  No topic is verboten except, of course, for P of I spoilers.  :smileywink:

Looking forward to August! 

Frequent Contributor
BryanThomasS
0 Kudos

Ken:

I'll you the same thing about spoilers my wife tells me as I sit down to watch a taped World Cup game and she reads me the score:  "You don't know how they got there."  So....just tell us how it ends.

bryan

Nadine
0 Kudos

BryanThomasS wrote:

Ken:

I'll you the same thing about spoilers my wife tells me as I sit down to watch a taped World Cup game and she reads me the score:  "You don't know how they got there."  So....just tell us how it ends.

bryan

Ok, we had a bit of fun at the end of our Canticle discussion on how we thought things were going to turn out and especially what we thought might happen in Antiphon. Any of you new comers want to add your speculation? Any of you others want to revise your speculations before we see Antiphon? Our discussion was at the end of the Canticle Thread and this was one of the things I said:

------------------------------------------------------------

We have done a bit of speculation on who will be who in this series, but do any of you want to venture a guess as to what will happen in the next book?

I feel that Canticle (as the song implies) was the set up for Antiphon. A lot of the action will now shift to The Churning Wastes as we follow Petronus and Neb. Their roles were important but not that dominent in Canticle. In Antiphon I think we will be seeing most of the plot advancement with them.

And, of course, that is where all the metal men seem to be. Isaak was also pretty low keyed in Canticle and we have to get back to him and I think we get a significant amount of new information about these mechoservitors and they will start to become significant players.

I also think we will hear more from Renard. There was something sinister about him that we did not learn in Canticle -- it was only hinted at.

I also think Vlad will end up landing in the Southern Churning Wastes continuing his odyssy of trying to find out who is behind all of this and what they are up to.

As a far out long shot, I think that Brother Hebda will show up.

I believe there was a ruined city in the southern section of the Churning Wastes that was the birthplace of P'Andro Whym but I will have to find the reference (I think it was Neb's POV). I think that will become the center of a lot of action and discoveries.

Nadine
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

We also did some speculation on who might be the "prime mover" in all of this. This was one of my theories. Does anyone want to add their thoughts to who is the "prime mover" and controlling all these events?:

----------------------------------------------------

I think this robed idea is important. The Watcher in the postlude of Lamentation is also wearing a robe -- a crimson robe. I think that mechoservitors of more advanced levels do wear robed, which is indicating a possible human association in the mechoservitors. Add to that that they have emotions and lie and they are becoming very human like. This is why I think the "prime mover" might be a mechoservitor and all this complex development of incredible probabilities might be the work of a mechoservitor who has become all too human. I specifically think "he" has to be a machine because the probabilities here, necessary to wiin the Queen's Game (a chess game), would require the computations of a super machine.

Reference page 362 of Canticle:

"Somewhere , someone played Queen's War with the Named lands and his First Grandson [Mal] and this Machtvolk Queen [Ria] were but pieces in a greater contest. And Vlad Li Tam would find his actual opponents and repay them."

I think Raj Y'Zir might have put a "prime directive" into one of his most advanced mechoservitors and that mechoservitor is orchestrating this whole thing.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Nadine:

You're definitely on the right track – Antiphon DOES shed some light on The Watcher but also opens up way more questions (of course!)....

Paul

Frequent Contributor
BryanThomasS

I do agree that the Churning Wastes will play a bigger role and I think we'll only find out more about what it used to be.  Petronus is actually my favorite character, and I was irritated when Ken "killed him" and told him that.  Then a short time later I told him "you devil" because, of course, Petronus came back.  It was pretty much the reaction he'd hoped for.

In any case, one of the questions I haven't asked Ken but would is have you outlined the whole series or just rough ideas?  Do you outline more specifically as you go or work from an outline?  Or do you let the story take you where it will?  Given the complexity of the thing, I doubt the third would be the case, but curious about your methodology.

Back to speculating on the story, I definitely think there is a mover and shaker whom we either haven't met or don't know as much about, and I also think we're not done with the inner conflicts ofd the Tam Dynasty either and how that effects the world they have manipulated for so long remains to be seen.  I am also curious what will happen with the mysterious metal man who led Neb across the desert.  Is there more to his story? 

Frequent Contributor
Liago

Bryan, in the Canticle thread that Nadine linked Ken talks a bit about outlining here is one of his replies early on, pretty interesting.

KenScholes wrote:

Oddly enough, I don't labor much with charts, graphs, etc.  I really just think about my characters and what they are afraid of, what they hope for and what it is inside that they're grappling with and how that plays with the external conflicts they face.  I wrote CANTICLE with an outline but truth-be-told, I never once referred to the outline and haven't opened that file since I created it and wrote down my notes.

It seems my plotlines all unfold organically as I'm writing though I do pause to think along the way for a day here or there.  My characters drive the story for me.  I have a sense of the Big Picture but the details of each book sort themselves out as I"m writing.  The one thing that IS structured is how much space each character gets within the book and the rotation of three characters per chapter (though in CANTICLE I believe I have one chapter with FOUR POVs in it instead of three.)

Alas, no Herculean Effort other than sitting down to do the work in the midst of Pandemonium and Madness.

One day, I may get more meticulous in my plotting just to see what happens when I do.  Just like one day, I'll hope to write a more traditional epic fantasy.

Frequent Contributor
BryanThomasS
0 Kudos

Ah, thanks, Liago.  I hadn't checked out that link yet.  Don't know why I've never asked Ken that myself.  All the times he and I have chatted back and forth I should have.

Nadine
0 Kudos

Ken wrote:

I have a sense of the Big Picture but the details of each book sort themselves out as I"m writing.

-----------------------------------

Ah, Ken. Do you know how it is going to end? :smileywink: Want us to make up the ending for you?

The Weeping Csar certainly seems to be an important backgrounder for the series and I preceive that it is getting moreso. You suggested it very early on in the beginning of the Lamentation thread. Should we disect that more? Are you going to offer any more tie-in short stories in the near future?

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Nadine wrote:

Ken wrote:

I have a sense of the Big Picture but the details of each book sort themselves out as I"m writing.

-----------------------------------

Ah, Ken. Do you know how it is going to end? :smileywink: Want us to make up the ending for you?

The Weeping Csar certainly seems to be an important backgrounder for the series and I preceive that it is getting moreso. You suggested it very early on in the beginning of the Lamentation thread. Should we disect that more? Are you going to offer any more tie-in short stories in the near future?

HA! Nadine, I could come up with an awesome ending! I already have in my mind but I doubt Ken will take it there.....

Paul

Author
kenscholes

I DO know how it ends:  They all wake up and it was just a really complicated dream.

Wait.  No, that's not it.

Heh.  Sorry, folks.  I couldn't resist.

"A Weeping Czar Beholds the Fallen Moon" (http://www.tor.com/stories/2009/02/a-weeping-czar-beholds-the-fallen-moon) is definitely important background information, particularly in for Canticle and Antiphon.  You can find this story in my second collection, Diving Mimes, Weeping Czars and Other Unusual Suspects, now available for pre-order at Fairwood Press's website, I believe.

And yes, I am planning more tie-in stories.  I was just talking about that last week, actually, with my editor, Beth Meacham, getting her thoughts on it during her visit.  I won't tackle any new tie-ins until I'm finished with Requiem early this Fall.  But if you have characters or events or places in the novels that you'd like to see more of in a tie-in, drop it in the comments.

And many thanks to all of you who voted for Lamentation in the Locus and Gemmell awards.   I'm utterly delighted to have made those ballots.  And Tor is putting together my book tour for September.  I'll be staying close to home (west coast) due to babies and protecting writing time for Requiem but I'm sure if the series continues to grow in popularity we'll look at other locations.

I'm excited about coming back in August and I'll poke my head into the room between now and then.

Frequent Contributor
BryanThomasS

Weeping Czar is indeed helpful.  Glad Tor.com is keeping it up online.  Can you believe you are amidst the fourth book of five?  It will be amazing when it's finally done and you can write some of those other ideas you've mentioned.  I think it would be fun to explore more of the Vlad Li Tam clan in sub-stories.  How they came to influence and even the past history with Petronus and Vlad growing up together.  That could definitely be expanded on.  It also might be interesting to learn more of Neb's past with his father before the destruction.  I also think there would be some interesting backstory on Rivers and her people's coming to be as they are.