Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
PeteyParker
0 Kudos

Re: ARCS FOR ANTIPHON BY KEN SCHOLES! READ THIS THREAD, PEOPLE!!!

My copy came in the mail today :smileyhappy: I've got some reading to do since I'm still on Lamentation.

Distinguished Bibliophile
dalnewt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Still waiting for mine. Hope it gets here soon. 

Contributor
gnimsh

Nadine, I live in Syracuse, NY.  After I was confirmed I asked when the books would arrive (this was last week) and was told some time this week.  It was delivered by UPS even, very surprised by that.

Also I've realized the person on the cover actually is Neb! AND IT'S SOO AWESOME SO FAR!

Finally, we will be discussing the book in this thread or creating a new one for it?  I only ask because this thread's already 12 pages.

Nadine
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

gnimsh wrote:

Nadine, I live in Syracuse, NY.  After I was confirmed I asked when the books would arrive (this was last week) and was told some time this week.  It was delivered by UPS even, very surprised by that.

Also I've realized the person on the cover actually is Neb! AND IT'S SOO AWESOME SO FAR!

Finally, we will be discussing the book in this thread or creating a new one for it?  I only ask because this thread's already 12 pages.

Thanks for the info, gnimish (do you have a name we can call you or do you prefer gnimish?). I've heard that they usually arrive on the east coast first. The marathon readers will probably be finished by the time the west coast people get the book!

Paul will probably put up a thread for Antiphon and he may wait until August but I'm sure he will have something to say about it when he signs in. I agree, this thread is getting way out of hand and we haven't even started to discuss the book yet. I wish he would put up four threads -- one for each reading section. That way the marathon readers could participate. And people who read the book in September could also particpate without spoilers.

If you are joining the far more interesting discussions with us section readers, Paul's has posted the following schedule. The discussion group usually stops at the end of the section to comment on the book so far and put in our speculations as to what might happen. Then we move on to read the next section. It is hard not to keep reading but we have a lot more fun.

If you are joining the marathon readers, then you should just take notes and wait for the rest of us to finish to avoid spoilers.

Paul's schedule:

Okay guys, I've gone through Antiphon one more time and here are my suggested break points:

Section 1, Reintroduction: page 1-87

Section 2, Altered Perceptions: page 88-167

Section 3, Revelations: page 168-264

Section 4, Bombshells: page 265-380

I'm trying not to give anything away thus the nebuluous sections titles.... You're welcome!  :smileyhappy:

Paul

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nadine
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

salander_9277 wrote:

Found The Weeping Czar and thoroughly enjoyed the short but bittersweet tale.  Wow!  I wish I had read that before Canticle as there were some references to Frederico that I was confused about.  It did clear things up but I hate being confused while reading!  I felt that Canticle was laced with despondency so I'm hoping Antiphon brings back more of the fierceness and bold optimism I felt while reading Lamentation.  I enjoy seeing the pieces intertwine and connect in unexpected ways.  Enjoying your craftsmanship Ken!

Yes I agree, reading The Wheeping Czar is necessary to understanding some of the references in Canticle. In fact, I think a copy of the short story should be included in the apendix of Canticle. It is that important. I made some coments on it in the Canticle thread.

-------------------------------------------------------

Canticle post:

I think reading "A Weeping Czar Beholds the Fallen Moon" is critical to understanding the last third of Canticle. Those of you who are now reading Canticle should read it before reading the last part of Canticle or you will not pick up all the references. Definitely read it after you are finished.

I think a reference to this should be included in Canticle and, because it is so critical, maybe it should be included in the appendix. Not every reader has internet access.

Contributor
gnimsh
0 Kudos

You can call me Gnimsh, that's what I go by everywhere on the internet.

I completely agree about Weeping Czar.  I read that last week in anticipation of Antiphon arriving.  I read it on my ebook reader, and now I'm reading Antiphon as a p-book and I have to say it's been quite a while since I've read a p-book but it's a very nice switch, especially for this book! 

How does this schedule thing work? You wait until everyone gets the book and then start reading to each point, comment, then forge on to the next point?

Nadine

gnimsh wrote:

You can call me Gnimsh, that's what I go by everywhere on the internet.

I completely agree about Weeping Czar.  I read that last week in anticipation of Antiphon arriving.  I read it on my ebook reader, and now I'm reading Antiphon as a p-book and I have to say it's been quite a while since I've read a p-book but it's a very nice switch, especially for this book! 

How does this schedule thing work? You wait until everyone gets the book and then start reading to each point, comment, then forge on to the next point?

Yes, that is how us old timers do it. You can look at the Lamentation and Canticle threads above to see what happens in those discussions and how it works. We kind of treat Ken's books like a mystery novel and see if we can guess where he is going. He usually outsmarts us. We also try to speculate on "who did it" which in this case is who is the "Master Manipulator" and who is the Crimson Queen? If you have some guesses now, you might want to post them.

Maybe at the end, the person who guesses right can smerk a lot and gets an all expense paid vacation to the Churning Waste.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

So have more than a few of you guys started getting your ARCs of Antiphon in the mail yet?

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
pen21

Nadine wrote:

We also try to speculate on "who did it" which in this case is who is the "Master Manipulator" and who is the Crimson Queen? If you have some guesses now, you might want to post them.

Maybe at the end, the person who guesses right can smerk a lot and gets an all expense paid vacation to the Churning Waste.

Me, me, me!!! I want to win a trip to the Churning Waste. How did I miss this promotion? I wonder where Paul posted that...

No book in Minnesota yet.

dhaupt

pen21 wrote:

Nadine wrote:

We also try to speculate on "who did it" which in this case is who is the "Master Manipulator" and who is the Crimson Queen? If you have some guesses now, you might want to post them.

Me, me, me!!! I want to win a trip to the Churning Waste. How did I miss this promotion? I wonder where Paul posted that...

Ooh great idea, I want a trip to the wastes as long as I can ride on the shoulders of a mechoservitor like Neb only slower so I can take in the scenery.

The book hasn't swam across the Mississippi into the farmlands of Missouri yet either.

Frequent Contributor
barker12
0 Kudos

Just finished reading Lamentation and Canticle. on my nook I was a little disappointed that the eBook was more than the hardcover but what are you going to do. I loved these books and I finished Canticle last night and thinking when is My arc of Antiphon come in and just 2 minutes ago. The ups guy dropped it of I am so excited to read this. I was making more noise then the dogs When I say the UPS truck. Well im going to get to reading. I hope I can be a supporting player in this discussion I have never been part of an Arc discussion before. So when the time comes please ignore my spelling and grammar I love to read but im not to good at articulating what I want to say. Thanks for the arc

Nadine

No! I want to win that vacation in the Churning Waste!:smileysurprised:
Ok Crimson Queen: A long shot. She is Meirov. Meirov just pulled a Li Tam tactic and had her own son killed. My other long shot is Rae Li Tam -- she isn't dead. I think we may find this one out in Antiphon. And I haven't peeked because I haven't received my book yet.
The Master Manipulator. Ken refers to him/her/it as the prime mover. Isaak but the mind of Raj Y’Zir has been implanted in his circuits.
Ok, and one last far out idea. Winter is the direct descendent of Amal Y’Zir (she didn't die either with a great wizard of a father) and Neb is the direct descendent of Frederico (not all the androfrancines have been eliminated). Love triumphs!

dhaupt wrote:

pen21 wrote:

Nadine wrote:

Ooh great idea, I want a trip to the wastes as long as I can ride on the shoulders of a mechoservitor like Neb only slower so I can take in the scenery.

The book hasn't swam across the Mississippi into the farmlands of Missouri yet either.

dalnewt

[ Edited ]

My copy of Antiphon was delivered today. I'm dying to start but I'm going to wait until more people have their copies. Note, I don't know when to begin the book, so I'll keep checking back to this thread. 

Author
kenscholes
0 Kudos

Yep, the more brownish/orange cover is the one true cover.  The other was an early mock-up.  Both depict Neb.

Bibliophile
Melhay

My son thinks there is something wrong with me. 

I am so happy and all I kept saying for five minutes was "Yes, yes, yes.. it came... from Barne & Nobles... Yes, yes.. it came." 

He asked me "What?"

I said "My book... from Barnes & Nobles, yesssss."

Son, "What book?"

Me, "THE Book.  Yes, it came.  My book Came... I've been waiting for.  Yes, yesss."

Okay, so I was a little stuck and he had to follow me around to see it as I couldn't put it down and wasn't able to really make any sense.

So, as you can tell, I am all excited to get going on this book.  Just say the word Go and I'm gone, lost in the pages.

I am going to review my sticky notes and notes from both prior books now. :smileyhappy:

Thank you again Paul and Ken!!! :smileyvery-happy:

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Nadine

[ Edited ]

For those of you who haven't received Antiphon yet (like me) or would like to preview the book before buying it in September, Tor has posted the Prelude and the first three chapters. I haven't read any of it yet. I'll be paient like the rest of you and wait until Paul says: "Ready, Set, Go!" And posts the thread(s).

Antiphon excerpts.

Pull the elevator down. Paging through is rather slow. This is actually a Google book preview so I imagine it is also at Google books. One nice neat thing is that it has a search function. Keep that in mind fellow clue hunters.

Also, the "other place" has the excerpt as well. Ho, ho, ho! "The other place" has a search function for the whole book! The whole book is not there but the search is and it gives the page numbers so you can find it in your copy! What a great tool!

My one last re-edit. I'm trying not to read any of the words in the excerpts but still trying to determine what is there. Well, "the other place" has a lot more of the book though with lots of big "holes" in the middle.

Contributor
gnimsh

As I continue to read about the Machtvolk, I am reminded of the author's blog posts I've read and how much he loves Germany. My very first reaction to Canticle was that he named them in German (People of Might).  I think this is so cool that his time spent in Germany touched him so deeply taht he named a poeple in his book in German, and as another person who loves the language and culture, this really touches me.  He has endeared the series to me even more because of this.

Nadine
0 Kudos

gnimsh wrote:

As I continue to read about the Machtvolk, I am reminded of the author's blog posts I've read and how much he loves Germany. My very first reaction to Canticle was that he named them in German (People of Might).  I think this is so cool that his time spent in Germany touched him so deeply taht he named a poeple in his book in German, and as another person who loves the language and culture, this really touches me.  He has endeared the series to me even more because of this.

What a great bit of information, gnimsh. I didn't know that! Hmmm, meaningful names! Something else that us Scholes Sleuths can look into. Have you noticed any others?

Scribe
Mountain_Muse
0 Kudos

My copy is here and I have already delved between the pages to get my face wet. Ken, kudos on what looks to be a really good read.  Even though I have yet to read books 1 & 2, I have had not trouble picking up on the story line and following the characters and story as an "only" or "first" book.  

This will be my first  "First Read" with B&N, but am looking forward to the adventure.  Thanks for allowing me to participate.

Karen

Mountain Muse

A really good book is much like an artichoke. As you peel back each page of the of the book, you get closer and closer to the succulent heart of the story.
pen21

The book has arrived in Minnesota, the Land of 10,000 Lakes.

Luanne