Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

Re: ARCS FOR ANTIPHON: Suggested Schedule

Mountain_Muse wrote:
I have a Nook and subscribe to the Nook Fan page on Facebook. The was a posting about the prequel being available for Nook download. "A Wheeping Czar Beholds a Falling Moon" It is a short story. I found it a great read and it helped set the stage for going into this discussion for August. BTW, the ebook was less than a dollar.

Thanks for the tip. I just downloaded to my nook.

Luanne

Nadine

1archi1 wrote:

I will also be participating in the Antiphon Read-Along.  I noticed that someone posted there was a 33page prequel.  I have books 1 and 2...where do you find the prequel??

Thanks, Anita

Or, if you prefer, you can read it here. The Weeping Csar is the prequel everyone is referring to. In fact read both of these.

The Rise of the Named Lands

Weeping Czar

Scribe
Mountain_Muse
0 Kudos

Thanks, Nadine.  I will get that one now.

A really good book is much like an artichoke. As you peel back each page of the of the book, you get closer and closer to the succulent heart of the story.
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Well, it looks like the word GO was said. :smileyhappy: I will have to get started and hit the threads with ideas. :smileyhappy: Can't wait!

Melissa

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Contributor
MikeyLikesIt

[ Edited ]

@ Nadine, I saw in an earlier post that you had a list of weekly participants. Put me down as well. And I am behind on looking at this thread as I have been super busy getting things sorted out with school/ROTC/work, so sorry if this has been asked already. Are there going to be seperate threads and is there an easy way to access them al? Im new to this site, so I am trying to find an easy way to navigate it etc.

dhaupt

I just saw the schedule, and the participants list thanks Nadine.

I'll be here Monday am with bells on for the conversation and I can't wait to share all my thoughts with everyone.

I know it'll be hard, but I am going to stick to the reading schedule.

See ya'll then

Nadine
0 Kudos

Melhay wrote:

Well, it looks like the word GO was said. :smileyhappy: I will have to get started and hit the threads with ideas. :smileyhappy: Can't wait!

Melissa

Well, it is about time! :smileywink: Paul couldn't wait any longer so we are up with all five threads. Start at the Section 1 thread, pages 1-87. I have been just dancing around talking about general things and Prelude waiting for people who have a weekend life to get on board and realize we are rolling. I'm about half-way through the reading now so I quite posting until more people are on board. You are pretty safe with the first page of Section 1.

Nadine
0 Kudos

MikeyLikesIt wrote:

@ Nadine, I saw in an earlier post that you had a list of weekly participants. Put me down as well. And I am behind on looking at this thread as I have been super busy getting things sorted out with school/ROTC/work, so sorry if this has been asked already. Are there going to be seperate threads and is there an easy way to access them al? Im new to this site, so I am trying to find an easy way to navigate it etc.

Don't worry about being behind, Mikey. We won't leave you behind. We will probably allow a week per reading section, so everyone can get the reading in and post their ideas. When things start to slow down, then we will move forward.

Welcome to the Read-Alng group.

Nadine
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

I just saw the schedule, and the participants list thanks Nadine.

I'll be here Monday am with bells on for the conversation and I can't wait to share all my thoughts with everyone.

I know it'll be hard, but I am going to stick to the reading schedule.

See ya'll then

There is so much in this first section that I don't think you will get bored with waiting.

Inspired Wordsmith
krb2g
0 Kudos

Re: ARCS FOR ANTIPHON BY KEN SCHOLES! READ THIS THREAD, PEOPLE!!!

I take a vacation and suddenly there's a whole book and 100 posts to read waiting for me when I get back! (which I suppose would make it a vacation from my vacation--which was wonderful but didn't leave much time for reading...). At any rate, that makes this book perfect timing for me!

Anyhow, I'll be reading along with the rest of you--I'm krb2g, or Katie, if you'd prefer to have a name. I'll be starting Antiphon just as soon as I finish some books that are about to be due at my library (Who Fears Death and His Majesty's Dragon (Temeraire Series #1))--so that should be by the end of this week!

I'm looking forward to our discussion here!

Correspondent
LadyMin
0 Kudos

I'll be reading along with the schedule too... and hopefully staying away from the spoilers.  I'm still reading Canticle so I better read faster, faster, faster.

Reader 2
pdxtrent
0 Kudos

I found my copy this afternoon on the kitchen counter.  It apparently arrived on Friday whileI was sick in bed, and no one told me.

Grrrr.

I will also be joining the weekly discussion, and am looking forward to it.  I've been a lurker on your previous discssions(after I finished reading of course!), and am looking forward to being a part of the action!

TJ

Nadine

[ Edited ]

LadyMin and TJ don't worry about falling behind. A lot of people are still reading Canticle and/or just getting started with Antigon. With such a big group in the Read-Along most of us will probably give each section a week before moving on. This way you can contribute and exchange ideas with other readers without the problem of spoilers slipping in.

pen21

Nadine wrote:

LadyMin and TJ don't worry about falling behind. A lot of people are still reading Canticle and/or just getting started with Antigon. With such a big group in the Read-Along most of us will probably give each section a week before moving on. This way you can contribute and exchange ideas with other readers without the problem of spoilers slipping in.

I agree with Nadine. And I am glad that there are people who just read Lamentation and Canticle, they can bring that fresh perspective from the books that I might have forgotten. I did finish the first section and have been posting on that thread. But I am not continuing to read, there is a lot to talk about  in the first section.

Enjoy your read! Luanne

Frequent Contributor
All-Things-Stephen-King
0 Kudos

Nadine,

I know you were asking for names of those who plan to participate in the discussions.  Please add mine.  I am about half way through the first section and will be ready for Monday.  Thanks.

Rob

Nadine
0 Kudos

I'm sure I missed some of you but these are the people so far who have said they want to participate in the weekly Read-Along.

Nadine

Toni (Nelsmom)

Luanne (pen21)

Melissa (Melhay)

Debbie (dhaupt)

dainewt

Liago

Karen (Mountain_Muse)

Jaime (Salander_9277)

vpenning

Bryan (BryanThomasS)

Katie (Krb2g)

Rob (All-Things-Stephen-King)

AFShaffer

MikeyLikesIt

Pdxtrent

LadyMin

ToniWi

Some people are just reading the book through and will only be posting in the last segment or the General thread.

Scribe
Mountain_Muse

Okay, we are reading book I on the Nook, and book III (ARCs for Antiphon) in hardback...

Will there be a set time to discuss the opening sections on the 1st?  Or do people start commenting about the section to start a discussion as the day wears on?

We'll learn as we go, but trying to get an idea of how everything works.

Mountain Muse

A really good book is much like an artichoke. As you peel back each page of the of the book, you get closer and closer to the succulent heart of the story.
dalnewt

[ Edited ]

The finalized schedule set by Paul is as follows:

July 25-July 31: ANTIPHON: Introduction and Preliminary Comments (See ANTIPHON SNEAK PEEK: Section 1, Reintroduction: page 1-87 thread discussing Antiphon's prelude as well as the earlier books and materials.)

August 1-7: ANTIPHON: Reintroduction, page 1-87 (See ANTIPHON SNEAK PEEK: Section 1, Reintroduction: page 1-87 discussion to commence as of August 1.)

August 8-14: ANTIPHON: Altered Perceptions, page 88-167 (See ANTIPHON SNEAK PEEK: Section 3, Altered Perceptions: page 88-167 thread discussion to commence as of August 8.)

August 15-21: ANTIPHON: Revelations, page 168-264 (See ANTIPHON SNEAK PEEK: Section 3, Revelations: page 168-264 thread discussion to commence as of August 15.)

August 22-28: ANTIPHON: Bombshells and Concluding Remarks page 265 to 380 (See ANTIPHON SNEAK PEEK: Section 4, Bombshells, page 265 to 380 thread discussion to commence as of August 22.)

For All Those Who Have Finished Antiphon discussion of the entire book or any part of it occurs in is the ANTIPHON SNEAK PEEK: General Discussion thread. 

Nadine
0 Kudos

Re: ARCS FOR ANTIPHON - Read-Along Schedule

[ Edited ]

Dalnewt is absolutely right. This is the schedule Paul posted. Some of us got a bit excited when the threads went up and jumped in a little early, myself included. Unfortunately, that left a lot of people behind who didn't expect such an early start. So the Read-Along should follow the schedule dalnewt posted below.

dalnewt wrote:

The finalized schedule set by Paul is as follows:

July 25-July 31: ANTIPHON: Introduction and Preliminary Comments (See ANTIPHON SNEAK PEEK: Section 1, Reintroduction: page 1-87 thread discussing Antiphon's prelude as well as the earlier books and materials.)

August 1-7: ANTIPHON: Reintroduction, page 1-87 (See ANTIPHON SNEAK PEEK: Section 1, Reintroduction: page 1-87 discussion to commence as of August 1.)

August 8-14: ANTIPHON: Altered Perceptions, page 88-167 (See ANTIPHON SNEAK PEEK: Section 3, Altered Perceptions: page 88-167 thread discussion to commence as of August 8.)

August 15-21: ANTIPHON: Revelations, page 168-264 (See ANTIPHON SNEAK PEEK: Section 3, Revelations: page 168-264 thread discussion to commence as of August 15.)

August 22-28: ANTIPHON: Bombshells and Concluding Remarks page 265 to 380 (See ANTIPHON SNEAK PEEK: Section 4, Bombshells, page 265 to 380 thread discussion to commence as of August 22.)

For All Those Who Have Finished Antiphon discussion of the entire book or any part of it occurs in is the ANTIPHON SNEAK PEEK: General Discussion thread. 

Author
kenscholes

Re: ARCS FOR ANTIPHON - Read-Along Schedule

Howdy folks!  I'm looking forward to the discussions.  I'm just settling in for the long haul on Requiem so this is good timing.

Thanks for the congrats on the Locus Award nomination and the PW starred review.  I'm delighted that the books are capturing attention.  And I had no idea I was the runner up; one more vote and Paulo and I could've jello-wrestled for the award...two more and I'd have taken it home!  Not bad for a kid from the trailer.  :smileywink:

I was trying to find a question I saw someone had asked about Antiphon.  I suspect maybe it's over in the Antiphon thread so I'm going to mosy over here.  I know we have a "set" time that I'm here interacting but as you all know from last time, I'm going to be popping on here frequently throughout the month.  And we'll have others joining us as well.

Okay, see you in the Antiphon threads....