Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Re: AUGUST FEATURE #1: The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss - Bast and Kvothe

Hey Krista!  I am through our next section of the book.  When ever you are ready to discuss I am game.  I will take a look through my questions and I think I got some answers to past questions.

Just let me know...

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

Re: AUGUST FEATURE #1: The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss - Bast and Kvothe

Melhay wrote:

Hey Krista!  I am through our next section of the book.  When ever you are ready to discuss I am game.  I will take a look through my questions and I think I got some answers to past questions.

Just let me know...

Yep, I'm ready!
"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson
Bibliophile
Melhay

Re: AUGUST FEATURE #1: The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss - Section3, pg184-331

This third section a lot happens yet at the same time I don't have a lot of questions.  It seems to be more of Kvothe learning new things of life, and then refinding himself after being lost (in a sense) for so long.  This is a wonderful exploration for Kvothe, as sad as it was at times I really enjoyed the adventure with it.

In this section we see where Kvothe mets Skarpi.  I am curious on a few things with Skarpi.  How is it that Skarpi can tell the story of Lanre and not be attacked like Kvothe's family and Troupe?  What makes him special?  Is it me or does it seem that Skarpi has not aged?  He is talked about in the begining before Kvothe goes into his story and he is still alive.  Here in this section of the book Skarpi is talk of as old.  I also for a moment and at times wonder if he lived at the time of the story he is telling.  He mentions he only tells one story, and he knows it so well.

Bibliophile
Melhay

Re: AUGUST FEATURE #1: The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss - Section3, pg184-331

Now we see Kvothe get into school.  Way to go Kvothe!  But, also the troubles that come to Kvothe with being in school.  Sorry Kvothe...

I have a few wonderings on the school section.  I wonder how Master Lorren knows Kvothe's father.  I am not sure if I missed the explaination, but I don't remember it.

Also, Master Elodin has my curiousity and attention, and it looks as though Kvothe's also.  What happened to Master Elodin that he "cracked"?  Was there something with the Chadrian?  Master Elodin seems very brilliant and yet he doesn't teach anything.  When the questions were being asked at the admissions the other Masters seemed very surprised that he wanted to ask a question of Kvothe.  Maybe Master Elodin sees something in Kvothe... I am not sure.

Inspired Scribe
carmen22

[ Edited ]

Melhay wrote:

This third section a lot happens yet at the same time I don't have a lot of questions.  It seems to be more of Kvothe learning new things of life, and then refinding himself after being lost (in a sense) for so long.  This is a wonderful exploration for Kvothe, as sad as it was at times I really enjoyed the adventure with it.

In this section we see where Kvothe mets Skarpi.  I am curious on a few things with Skarpi.  How is it that Skarpi can tell the story of Lanre and not be attacked like Kvothe's family and Troupe?  What makes him special?  Is it me or does it seem that Skarpi has not aged?  He is talked about in the begining before Kvothe goes into his story and he is still alive.  Here in this section of the book Skarpi is talk of as old.  I also for a moment and at times wonder if he lived at the time of the story he is telling.  He mentions he only tells one story, and he knows it so well.

It seems as though this part really is just setting the stage for Kvothe's battle with evil. Kvothe makes for one of the best characters I have come across and mostly, I think, for me, it's because of his quick wit and his music. I really loved the scene when he was sitting around the fire and he completely lost himself in his music. Then at the end of the song everyone was left in awe and admiration, and you know what, I believe I cried like them because the music actually moved me..LOL! Then how Rothfuss ended this chapter was amazing ...

"His eyes were open that much is certain, but who among us can say they know what he was seeing?   Look behind him instead, to the circle of light that the fire has made, and leave Kvothe to himself for now. Everyone deserves a moment or two alone when they desire it. And if by chance there were tears, let us forgive him. He was just a child, after all, and had yet to learn what sorrow really was."

How touching and what a great ending for a chapter!

Skarpi is a little bit mysterious. I'm not sure why he can tell this story of Lanre and not be attacked. Maybe he didn't say their true names?  I'm not sure I can answer your other question about his age either, but these are very good questions to ponder.

"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson
Inspired Scribe
carmen22

Melhay wrote:

Now we see Kvothe get into school.  Way to go Kvothe!  But, also the troubles that come to Kvothe with being in school.  Sorry Kvothe...

I have a few wonderings on the school section.  I wonder how Master Lorren knows Kvothe's father.  I am not sure if I missed the explaination, but I don't remember it.

Also, Master Elodin has my curiousity and attention, and it looks as though Kvothe's also.  What happened to Master Elodin that he "cracked"?  Was there something with the Chadrian?  Master Elodin seems very brilliant and yet he doesn't teach anything.  When the questions were being asked at the admissions the other Masters seemed very surprised that he wanted to ask a question of Kvothe.  Maybe Master Elodin sees something in Kvothe... I am not sure.

I believe that the reason Lorren knew his father is because the Edema Ruh was well known for their talent and, of course, his father ran the Ruh. That's just what I though anyway.

Elodin is a very interesting character and I'm sure he'll be an important character in the characters to come. I believe Elodin does see something in Kvothe. But what Elodin has to offer is a question unanswered!

By the way, I have reached our next stopping point so whenever you are ready I'm game!

paulgoatallen

The bottom line for me is that what Rothfuss has done with this singularly brilliant debut novel is create a foundation for a potentially classic fantasy saga. I say potentially because much can happen over the course of two or three novels. But – WOW – I am going to be dancing around the house when I finally get my hands on the sequel to The Name of the Wind. The potential is there for...... and I'm going to say it...... an epic fantasy series that is comparable to the very best sagas of all time – and I'm talking LOTR, Moorcock's Eternal Champion, the original Shannara trilogy, Salvatore's Drizzt, etc.

No pressure though, Patrick!   :smileyhappy:

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Bibliophile
Melhay

paulgoatallen wrote:

The bottom line for me is that what Rothfuss has done with this singularly brilliant debut novel is create a foundation for a potentially classic fantasy saga. I say potentially because much can happen over the course of two or three novels. But – WOW – I am going to be dancing around the house when I finally get my hands on the sequel to The Name of the Wind. The potential is there for...... and I'm going to say it...... an epic fantasy series that is comparable to the very best sagas of all time – and I'm talking LOTR, Moorcock's Eternal Champion, the original Shannara trilogy, Salvatore's Drizzt, etc.

Paul

There seems to be GREAT potential for the "E" word here.  I am just afraid that, well... it may take to long to get there.  I don't want to hurt any feelings or anything.  This book is amazing, wonderous, I don't even have the word to describe it truthfully.  I do, like the next person, like to see perfection, but Patrick seems to be really perfect in his writing.  I am not saying this is wrong or right.  Don't get me wrong, please.  I know Patrick like to take his time and get it right, it just may be a long time till then.

paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Hey Mel! One more post and you've reached 1,000!!!    :smileyhappy:

Paul

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Paul, I just posted a post and I notice the 1,000.  I was kind of surprised and proud at the same time.  Thanks!

B&N Bookseller
Paul_C
0 Kudos

paulgoatallen wrote:

Paul

I am sure that no amount of pressure we can put on Patrick will equal that he puts on himself. That being said however, I saw an interview with him and he said it took him 14 years from begining to publication to write his novel. But that novel was the full Kingkiller Chronicles in one volume. So he has the bulk of it set, he just needs to retool it to be separate volumes. He does give a humorous and enlightening update here in his blog.

"A true war story, truly told, makes the stomach believe."
- Tim O'Brien, The Things They Carried
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

I have completed the second to last section here.  I will post later some thoughts.  I have to go sand and paint a door currently. 

I am aiming to get through the rest of this book here tomorrow, then starting the Blade Itself on Monday.  I don't know if it will work but I am going to give it the good old try.

Till later!

Bibliophile
Melhay

Re: AUGUST FEATURE #1: The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss - Section5, 417-592pg

This section didn't have many questions for me till close to the end of it.  You really got a view of Kvothe as a student and all the trials and troubles he had to go through and excel at to be who he is.  Then you get to meet the woman, or love, for Kvothe.  Poor kid is to young to even know.

Kvothe and Ambrose is really have a bad mix going on here.  I am waiting to see where they go, now that Ambrose thinks Kvothe is possibly dead...  I do have to say I love the song Kvothe and Threpe created about Ambrose.  This is a classic!

In the beginning Kvothe is going by the name Kote.  He mentions that he picked this name with care.  Now on page 496 the word Kote is mentioned. 

"I am," he said cheerfully. "Do you know the saying 'Chan Baen edan Kote'?"

I tried to puzzle it out. "Seven years...I don't know Kote."

"'Expect disaster every seven years,'" he said...

Does Kote mean disaster?  Is that why he had picked this name?

Bibliophile
Melhay

Re: AUGUST FEATURE #1: The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss - Section5, 417-592pg

On page 522 it seems that Kvothe is starting to understand the wind better, and I don't think he relizes it.  To boot, I don't think Kvothe realizes that he has been told the name of the wind either.  Quoyan 

Master Elodin may be a little (okay a lot) off his rocker, but I think he could teach Kvothe many, many things.  I would love to see Kvothe with him more to learn many crazy things.

Bibliophile
Melhay

Okay, now I have been very anxious to read on the Chandrian, or even to encounter them again.  I have been waiting paitently as has Kvothe for more information.  Now we are starting to get into them again.  I am very excited to head down this path.   So, why did they kill all those people at the Wedding?  I think Denna and Kvothe are on to the right idea here with this.

My question is Denna's to-be patron.  He is very mysterious, though I don't think that is a strong enough word.  I wonder if he is part of the Amyr, (I can remember at the moment - are they the ones that fight against the Chandrian?)  Is he the one watching knowing that the Chandrian may show up.  Or is he a Chandrian himself, the lead Chandrian?  I find it strange that Denna and Kvothe seem to be connected.  By this I mean it is almost like unknowingly they always come back together.  Kvothe finds Denna up at the wedding area after Chandrian have attacked.  It seems odd that they would meet up here, almost planned or destine for these two to be together to solve the question of the world, why the Chandrian do what they do?.

Also, when Kvothe discribes Denna's bruises and wounds on page 563 it seems as her story would not explain these well.  What is she hiding?

I just LOVE how this section ends.  What comes strolling into their camp is just amazing!!!

Also, I still can not forget the questions of the first part of the book, before the story of Kvothe's life begins.  I really would like to know what is going on at the current time also.  Something was off in the world, what is everyone worried about?

Inspired Scribe
carmen22

Melhay wrote:

This section didn't have many questions for me till close to the end of it.  You really got a view of Kvothe as a student and all the trials and troubles he had to go through and excel at to be who he is.  Then you get to meet the woman, or love, for Kvothe.  Poor kid is to young to even know.

Kvothe and Ambrose is really have a bad mix going on here.  I am waiting to see where they go, now that Ambrose thinks Kvothe is possibly dead...  I do have to say I love the song Kvothe and Threpe created about Ambrose.  This is a classic!

In the beginning Kvothe is going by the name Kote.  He mentions that he picked this name with care.  Now on page 496 the word Kote is mentioned. 

Hey, Mel!

It's so funny how Kvothe is in love with Denna and he's just a teenage boy too scared he might push her away and has no idea what to do. I like how Rothfuss has made him good in every aspect except for women, because I don't think men ever fully understand women LOL! I also wonder what's going to happen to Denna in the books to come, because in the "real" time frame Denna is not with Kvothe and he's a really sad and lonely man it seems. This is the reason Bast called Chronicler in the first place, to try and see if the retelling of his life story will help him become the Kvothe he once was.

Kvothe and Ambrose really do have a nice battle going and I too wonder what's going to happen between the two of them once he gets back to the university. The song was really funny!

Oh, Mel, I didn't even catch that! You very well could be right that Kote means Disaster! It seems a fitting name for him with everything that has happened to him over the years and we haven't even seen the half of it! Really good catch.

Inspired Scribe
carmen22

[ Edited ]

Melhay wrote:

On page 522 it seems that Kvothe is starting to understand the wind better, and I don't think he relizes it.  To boot, I don't think Kvothe realizes that he has been told the name of the wind either.  Quoyan 

Master Elodin may be a little (okay a lot) off his rocker, but I think he could teach Kvothe many, many things.  I would love to see Kvothe with him more to learn many crazy things.

Oh, yes, I believe for Kvothe to take down the Chandrain he's going to have to learn a thing or two from Elodin. Now that he knows that Elodin in fact knows the names of things I believe Kvothe will try and become his student once again. I wonder how cracked Eldin really is as well, and what exactly happens to make all these students crack. I know it's due to how they try and make there minds work but I wonder if there's more to it than that?  There's much we have yet to learn about.

Man, I wish all the other books were out! LOL!

Inspired Scribe
carmen22

Melhay wrote:

Okay, now I have been very anxious to read on the Chandrian, or even to encounter them again.  I have been waiting paitently as has Kvothe for more information.  Now we are starting to get into them again.  I am very excited to head down this path.   So, why did they kill all those people at the Wedding?  I think Denna and Kvothe are on to the right idea here with this.

My question is Denna's to-be patron.  He is very mysterious, though I don't think that is a strong enough word.  I wonder if he is part of the Amyr, (I can remember at the moment - are they the ones that fight against the Chandrian?)  Is he the one watching knowing that the Chandrian may show up.  Or is he a Chandrian himself, the lead Chandrian?  I find it strange that Denna and Kvothe seem to be connected.  By this I mean it is almost like unknowingly they always come back together.  Kvothe finds Denna up at the wedding area after Chandrian have attacked.  It seems odd that they would meet up here, almost planned or destine for these two to be together to solve the question of the world, why the Chandrian do what they do?.

Also, when Kvothe discribes Denna's bruises and wounds on page 563 it seems as her story would not explain these well.  What is she hiding?

I just LOVE how this section ends.  What comes strolling into their camp is just amazing!!!

Also, I still can not forget the questions of the first part of the book, before the story of Kvothe's life begins.  I really would like to know what is going on at the current time also.  Something was off in the world, what is everyone worried about?

I wonder what it was that the wedding party found that could do so much damage to the Chandrian that they would kill so many people! We are left guessing a lot when it comes to our major Evil force in this tale.

I don't see Denna's Patron as a good man. I think he was there to find out what the wedding party had and I think maybe he beat Denna because she had not found out what this "surprise" was. There's no other way to explain all the bruises she endured. As Kvothe says there's no way the tree could have done that much damage to her.

It's a mystery how Denna and Kvothe always seem to find each other. But Kvothe always seems to be there when Denna needs him. I like it.

Yes, the Dragon was a very nice touch can't wait to see what he does.

Ah, yet another mystery we have yet to find out "What is going on in the "real" time frame? " 

Well, I guess we are going to try and get this book over with, so I'll try and get this next section done today as well! Good Luck to the both of us, eh? LOL!

Bibliophile
Melhay

carmen22 wrote:

Melhay wrote:

Hey, Mel!

It's so funny how Kvothe is in love with Denna and he's just a teenage boy too scared he might push her away and has no idea what to do. I like how Rothfuss has made him good in every aspect except for women, because I don't think men ever fully understand women LOL! I also wonder what's going to happen to Denna in the books to come, because in the "real" time frame Denna is not with Kvothe and he's a really sad and lonely man it seems. This is the reason Bast called Chronicler in the first place, to try and see if the retelling of his life story will help him become the Kvothe he once was.

Kvothe and Ambrose really do have a nice battle going and I too wonder what's going to happen between the two of them once he gets back to the university. The song was really funny!

Oh, Mel, I didn't even catch that! You very well could be right that Kote means Disaster! It seems a fitting name for him with everything that has happened to him over the years and we haven't even seen the half of it! Really good catch.

Okay, I have finished the book and let me tell you, I feel the pain!!  I completely understand why everyone is so impatiently waiting for the next book.  I need to have it myself now.

As I was reading this book I wondered on the same thought with Denna not being with Kvothe in the current time.  Part of me wonders if she dies.  We haven't even got to the whole Chanrian thing yet, and I wonder if she goes with him on another expedition and something happens to her.  Or he feels he has to leave her for her safety and not be around her to save her from harms way.  Since, in the beginning Chronicler mentions a girl and Kvothe says what of her.  But which girl is this about?  Denna, Auri, or Fela...  I think it is of Denna, but what becomes of Auri?

I get why Bast let the secret out to get someone to come.  But I don't understand what happened to the sympathy and music with Kvothe.  There are so many questions left unanswered.

Bibliophile
Melhay

carmen22 wrote:

Melhay wrote:

Oh, yes, I believe for Kvothe to take down the Chandrain he's going to have to learn a thing or two from Elodin. Now that he knows that Elodin in fact knows the names of things I believe Kvothe will try and become his student once again. I wonder how cracked Eldin really is as well, and what exactly happens to make all these students crack. I know it's due to how they try and make there minds work but I wonder if there's more to it than that?  There's much we have yet to learn about.

Man, I wish all the other books were out! LOL!

With the end of this book I believe Kvothe is studying under Elodin now, to learn naming.  This is a whole story I would love to hear.  He has to have this in the next book.  I know he just barely touches on it here in the end about how off his rocker Elodin is.  But part of me thinks that the crazy this is just geniousness.  What I think in this is that they have to break their minds into different pieces, and with doing so seem a little out of sorts.  I think this man is such a genious that it appears he is crazy.  I think he was the youngest to come to the University in years (before Kvothe) and the youngest to make the board then Chancellor.

This man has a lot to share with us!