Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

paulgoatallen

Re: JULY FEATURE #3: The Sword of Shannara: Would There Have Been Epic Fantasy Without Shannara?

Nadine wrote:
Would There Have Been Epic Fantasy Without Shannara?

If I am understanding the history of the modern Fantasy Epic, LOTR was published in 1955., it became a cult favorite in the US in the mid-60s, yet epic fantasy didn't catch on. There were no more and fans of LOTR wanted more. As I understand it twelve years of no new Epic Fantasy until The Sword of Shannara was published in 1977.

DAW saw a gold mine in Brooks' The Sword of Shannara. They deliberately exploited the aspects of it that were similar to LOTR . They even had The Brothers Hildebrandt, who had illustrated the LOTR, do illustrations for Shannara. Every time a critic yelled "LOTR Rip-off" they probably jumped for joy and made another trip to the bank! The result was that The Sword of Shannara was the first epic fantasy to make it to the NY Times best seller list (not LOTR) and subsequent Shannara books have routinely made it to the NY Times Best Seller list! It was after this that the boom in Epic Fantasy began. Some were poor "rip-off", some were better, and some were even original though they all seem to follow the prototype. Well, that is what made them popular and made them Epic Fantasy.

Now my question to the group (and my history could be wrong here) is: "Was it actual Shannara that started the popularity of the Epic Fantasy and made it into a sub-genre?"

Again, I know little about Epic Fantasy, have read very few books of this sort, and haven't even finished a Shannara book yet! But my next question is: "Was  Shannara the actual prototype for the Epic Fantasy format?" LOTR was not a series, though it was kind of six short books. published as three volumes. Shannara used ideas that were in LOTR but were not necessary new to either. And each invented their own lands and beings, a common occurrence in subsequent fantasies that often include material and invention not found in either. The precedent for unique but similar creation was set in Shannara.

I am finding The Sword of Shannara quite readable. True, being Brooks' first writing effort it is a bit rocky in parts and could probably use some polish here and there. I have read that Elfstone, the second book in the trilogy, is a far better book. But I am finding the Sword a really good action story. Now for my third question: "Is The Sword of Shannara Trilogy a better story with better developed worlds and characters than LOTR?"

Nadine

Great question. Historically, SoS is significant but I think some of the popularity of this novel is because it hit at exactly the right time. If it wasn't SoS, it would've eventually been another comparable book. Here's my rationale – SoS is released in 1977, right? But just a few years before this in 1973 or '74, Dungeons & Dragons exploded and literally hundreds of thousands of people were playing this fantasy roleplaying game. Adventure fantasy experienced a huge rise in popularity and there was a rabid audience there just ripe for a LOTR type of read. 

And here's another question? Is SoS more Epic Fantasy or Adventure Fantasy?  There are strong arguments both ways...

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Bibliophile
Melhay

Re: JULY FEATURE #3: The Sword of Shannara: Would There Have Been Epic Fantasy Without Shannara?

paulgoatallen wrote:

Awesome dialogue, guys! Seeing as though we're still in the meat of the storyline, do you want me to just extend this thread as the #3 feature for August? It's easy – just let me know – and when we're all satisfied that this novel is suitably finished, I can start The Elfstones of Shannara in mid or late August...

Paul 

Hey Paul, can you do that?  I mean... well...  Let me try again.

That is a great idea Paul!!  If you don't mind, I surely would not mind one bit.  I think it would be awesome to do that.  We still have so much to go through in the book.  We also have another big book to hit here also, Name of the Wind.  To have a little extra time on SoS into August would be awesome.  You are so wonderful at judging these boards you will know right when we are ready for the next book.  I am good for the extention to finish then diving into Elfstones. 

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

Melhay wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

Awesome dialogue, guys! Seeing as though we're still in the meat of the storyline, do you want me to just extend this thread as the #3 feature for August? It's easy – just let me know – and when we're all satisfied that this novel is suitably finished, I can start The Elfstones of Shannara in mid or late August...

Paul 

That is a great idea Paul!!  If you don't mind, I surely would not mind one bit.  I think it would be awesome to do that.  We still have so much to go through in the book.  We also have another big book to hit here also, Name of the Wind.  To have a little extra time on SoS into August would be awesome.  You are so wonderful at judging these boards you will know right when we are ready for the next book.  I am good for the extention to finish then diving into Elfstones. 

I think it is a good idea as well. We are not even halfway into SoS and I think we want to get Warbreaker finished first and then get started reading Name of the Wind, a very long book. I don't want to rush through SoS and I know I won't be finished by the end of the month. But keeping the thread above the line into August will help other people find it and respond to it.

OK, now do you have any ideas on how to break up The Name of the Wind, Paul? I don't think it is like the others we have read and may not lend itself to such divisions. Maybe it is best if we just read it and comment on the book when we are finished. I don't know. You are the expert on this, Paul. I read the first hundred pages or so some time ago and will read them again as a memory refesher. What I remember is that it is simply a "told story." But if there are cliff-hangers and surprises, then we will probably want it segmented at those points.

Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

Re: JULY FEATURE #3: The Sword of Shannara:

[ Edited ]

Sounds good to me as well, Paul! I'm just starting through chapter nine now, so I'm still more behind then everyone and haven't even read all the posts for chapter 8-14....LOL! So I think it's a great idea and I wouldn't mind at all!

Nadine, It has been a really long time since I read the Name of the Wind so I'll be rereading it, but I think it's easier if we break it up to get all our thoughts out there while there still fresh and such (huge book). I don't remember enough to give you stopping points, maybe Paul does, but if we have to we can just make it up (you do a good job of that LOL!) We could just divide it evenly or something...LOL! But if everyone just wants to read through the whole book, then that will be fine to. I'm just saying I like doing it this way:smileywink:

Nadine wrote:

Melhay wrote:

paulgoatallen wrote:

Paul 

I think it is a good idea as well. We are not even halfway into SoS and I think we want to get Warbreaker finished first and then get started reading Name of the Wind, a very long book. I don't want to rush through SoS and I know I won't be finished by the end of the month. But keeping the thread above the line into August will help other people find it and respond to it.

OK, now do you have any ideas on how to break up The Name of the Wind, Paul? I don't think it is like the others we have read and may not lend itself to such divisions. Maybe it is best if we just read it and comment on the book when we are finished. I don't know. You are the expert on this, Paul. I read the first hundred pages or so some time ago and will read them again as a memory refesher. What I remember is that it is simply a "told story." But if there are cliff-hangers and surprises, then we will probably want it segmented at those points.

Message Edited by carmen22 on 07-22-2009 09:13 AM
"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson
Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1

paulgoatallen wrote:

Nadine wrote:
Would There Have Been Epic Fantasy Without Shannara

Now my question to the group (and my history could be wrong here) is: "Was it actual Shannara that started the popularity of the Epic Fantasy and made it into a sub-genre?"

"Was  Shannara the actual prototype for the Epic Fantasy format?" 
 "Is The Sword of Shannara Trilogy a better story with better developed worlds and characters than LOTR?"

Nadine

Great question. Historically, SoS is significant but I think some of the popularity of this novel is because it hit at exactly the right time. If it wasn't SoS, it would've eventually been another comparable book. Here's my rationale – SoS is released in 1977, right? But just a few years before this in 1973 or '74, Dungeons & Dragons exploded and literally hundreds of thousands of people were playing this fantasy roleplaying game. Adventure fantasy experienced a huge rise in popularity and there was a rabid audience there just ripe for a LOTR type of read. 

And here's another question? Is SoS more Epic Fantasy or Adventure Fantasy?  There are strong arguments both ways...

Paul 

Good questions here. I've always thought that SoS was more adventure fanatasy, and subsequent volumes had more "epic" qualities to them (armies on the move, etc). SoS was the 2nd fantasy I read after Lotr, and honestly I don't remember much being around in the fantasy genre in '77. A lot of Sci-Fi, but fantasy was limited. If SoS hadn't been that good I might not have bothered to look further and find Moorcock's Champion Eternal Cycle (Elric of Melnibone' , Hawkmoon, Corum, etc) which is certainly one of my all time favorites. My case certainly seems support the above conjecture. Shannara certainly has more developed characters than Lotr, and they seem more fallible also. Agree  wholeheartedly with Paul, that the popularity of D&D played a role in the genre coming up at that time.

By the way, love watching you folks go through this book, especially the first timers with their projections of what's happening and what might come.

Brad

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Nadine wrote:

I read that one years ago, Nadine – but I am super psyched to read it again. Let me see if I can get The Name of the Wind re-read in the next few days and I'll start that feature thread with reading/discussion sections!

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Re: JULY FEATURE #3: The Sword of Shannara: schedule extension

Extending the discussion into August is fine with me, too.  We really didn't start until mid-July, and it's a fairly long book, so I didn't know how we would get through it in time.  I think we might as well take the time to thoroughly enjoy not just this one, but the whole trilogy, as long as it takes, within reason.  Many of you are reading other books for this group, too, and I have a few things going in other groups.

(Although, as someone said, once you get going it's hard to stop, and I'm through about chapter 22 already!)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

In SoS I have about 5 pages till the stopping point of ch 14.  I think I am going to try to get going toward ch 20 next.  I seem to be having a slow spell with this book and don't know why.

Nadine
0 Kudos

Melhay wrote:

In SoS I have about 5 pages till the stopping point of ch 14.  I think I am going to try to get going toward ch 20 next.  I seem to be having a slow spell with this book and don't know why.

Reading Schedule for The Sword of Shannara

Part 1: Chapters 1-7 (pg. 128)
Part 2: Chapters 8-14 (pg  270)
Part 3: Chapters 15-20 (pg  388)
Part 4: Chapters 21-27 (pg 556)
Part 5: Chapters 28-34 (pg  726)

I'm going to move on to Chapter 20, and Part 3 as well.

Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

Nadine wrote:

Melhay wrote:

Reading Schedule for The Sword of Shannara

Part 1: Chapters 1-7 (pg. 128)
Part 2: Chapters 8-14 (pg  270)
Part 3: Chapters 15-20 (pg  388)
Part 4: Chapters 21-27 (pg 556)
Part 5: Chapters 28-34 (pg  726)

I'm going to move on to Chapter 20, and Part 3 as well.

I'm only 12 or so chapters in but will continue on after chapter 14 to chapter 20! Sorry, I'm running a little behind this time! 

You know, Mel, it has been a slower read for me as well, however, I've still enjoyed it. But it was his first novel and The Sword of Shannara sets up the stage for the rest of the trilogy that I've heard just get better. I think once we get moving on this book though, since we have finished Warbreaker, and it now has our Full attention it will probably start picking up the pace for us, you know.

"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Krista wrote: 

I'm only 12 or so chapters in but will continue on after chapter 14 to chapter 20! Sorry, I'm running a little behind this time! 

You know, Mel, it has been a slower read for me as well, however, I've still enjoyed it. But it was his first novel and The Sword of Shannara sets up the stage for the rest of the trilogy that I've heard just get better. I think once we get moving on this book though, since we have finished Warbreaker, and it now has our Full attention it will probably start picking up the pace for us, you know.

I agree with you.  I have enjoyed it also.  I have actually found the politics interesting and want to learn more of the way of this world currently and historically.  And the creatures they have come across so far in their journey, I have found interesting.

I think also once the world is set up then he can focus more on the storyline and happenings.

Ryan_G

I finished the book a few days ago and am now startig on The Elfstones of Shannara.  I've had a slow go at the book this time around, not sure why but I still loved it as much as I did the first time.  The action is sweeping and the characters enjoyable.  I came away with a greater understanding of the place this book holds in the Fantasy world and I appreciate it all the more for it.
"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I'm just racing through it - I think I've read through chapter 25 already.  Slowpokes!  Yeah, I know you're reading other stuff, but I've also read two Agatha Christie novels since I started.  And I think Ryan is already on the Elfstones.

Must be all that partying by the waterfall... :smileywink:  Less diving - more reading!!!  (ha, ha, I'm only teasing you all!)

Edited: Ha, I see Ryan beat me to posting, and I was right!

Message Edited by dulcinea3 on 07-27-2009 02:10 PM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

dulcinea3 wrote:

I'm just racing through it - I think I've read through chapter 25 already.  Slowpokes!  Yeah, I know you're reading other stuff, but I've also read two Agatha Christie novels since I started.  And I think Ryan is already on the Elfstones.

Must be all that partying by the waterfall... :smileywink:  Less diving - more reading!!!  (ha, ha, I'm only teasing you all!)

It's our discussions that usually take up most of our time, we may have finished Warbreaker but our discussion is far from over... LOL! Yes, we know we are all running a little behind on this book this time, it was our first month to try and get two big discussions in and I went out of Town and ruined our whole schedule...LOL! Plus, Agatha Christie novels are not as HUGE as our Fantasy books of late...LOL! But, hey, we still have a few days left of this month, so I think since we are back on track we will fly right through the rest of The Sword. 
Message Edited by carmen22 on 07-27-2009 03:22 PM
Ryan_G

carmen22 wrote:

dulcinea3 wrote:

It's our discussions that usually take up most of our time, we may have finished Warbreaker but our discussion is far from over... LOL! Yes, we know we are all running a little behind on this book this time, it was our first month to try and get two big discussions in and I went out of Town and ruined our whole schedule...LOL! Plus, Agatha Christie novels are not as HUGE as our Fantasy books of late...LOL! But, hey, we still have a few days left of this month, so I think since we are back on track we will fly right through the rest of The Sword. 
Message Edited by carmen22 on 07-27-2009 03:22 PM

Hey now.  Agatha Christie novels may not be as long but there there are a lot of them.  And you have to pay attention to alot of the fine details in order to solve the case. :smileywink:

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Inspired Scribe
carmen22

Re: JULY FEATURE #3: The Sword of Shannara by Terry Brooks

Nadine wrote:

dulcinea3 wrote:
Just a thought that I had while reading a passage that described how Menion Leah had come to respect Balinor and consider him a leader: Balinor is a perfect role model for Menion.  They are both princes from the Southland, but Balinor has had to actually act like a prince.  He has been tested for one thing, by the fact that his father's kingdom is so close to the border with the Northland, so there are opportunities to prove oneself in battle.  Even though Balinor has apparently fallen out to some extent with his father and younger brother, he knows the responsibility that comes with royal blood and the obligation to one's people.  Menion, coming from a smaller kingdom much further into the Southland, and therefore more stable and peaceful, has not really had to take much responsibility so far in his life, even though he is an only son and his father's only heir.  He's had an easygoing lifestyle and is apparently not particularly dependable.  Somewhere deep down, he knows that this has to change sooner or later, and now he has the example of Balinor in front of him.  Modeling himself on Balinor, this can be a life-changing and positive experience for him.

I totally agree. Balinor is the born leader and far more mature than Menion. Menion is hot headed and impulsive. Menion is also very idealistic. He is very loyal and has a strong sense of morality. He has difficulty killing even though it may mean the survival of the group. I think Balinor might become a mentor for Menion. It is wonder that Brooks has taken two very similar characters (at least situation-wise) and turned them into very distinct and different personalities.

You both make some great points about Menion and Balinor and I completely agree. I do see Balinor as a role model for Menion, and who Menion might become if they make it through this quest. They all seem to look up to Balinor for leadership and guidance. They've all put their trust in Balinor even before the mighty Druid. They all question the motives of Allanon and what secrets he's keeping from them and only Balinor has full blind faith in the Druid, and only because of this faith do the others trust Allanon.

Inspired Scribe
carmen22

Re: JULY FEATURE #3: The Sword of Shannara: Chapter 8-14

Melhay wrote:

Nadine wrote:

Chapter 9 gives a very good history of how everything got to this point. I find it very interesting that Allanon is an Historian. Allanon is only telling this to "fellowship" group and not the whole council. On pages 164-5 there is an explanation of how the Sword of Shannara got its power and that this power can only be used by the person who believes in it and believes he is the one who can use the sword. This promted an odd thought in my mind. Allanon, who is obviously holding back a lot of significant information from the group, makes it very clear that only someone who "truly believes" can utilize the sword. But follow these words carefully:

"When Bremen gave the sword to Jerle Shannara, he made the mistake of giving it directly to a king and to the house of a king -- he did not give it to the people of the lands. As a result, through human misunderstanding and historical misconception, the universal belief grew that the Sword was the weapon of the Elven King along and that only those descended of his blood could take up the sword against the Warlock Lord. . . . The ancient tradition that only such a one can wield it will make all others doubt -- and there must be no doubt."

Now that leaves me with two questions:

1. Is Shea actually a descendant of Shannara and the only one who can wield the sword? Or has Allanon just picked a possible vague candidate and convinced Shea he is the sole descendant of Shannara to make him believe?

2. Can someone else wield the sword if he truly believes he can make it work? Could that person end up being another person like Menion?

I am glad you mentioned this section Nadine.

I think Shea is a descendant that can yield the sword.  Yet, my questions went to the other side.

There is mention on pg 164:

"...Its power is petent only when it is believed, for it is power over the mind which can neither be touched nor seen through human senses.  If the mind does not truly find some basis for belief in its existance, then it can have no real effect."

Then the line on pg 165:

"Only the blood and belief of a descendant of Shannara can invoke the latent power of the great sword."

I was wondering if Shea will have problems getting the sword to work at first because he does not believe in himself or in the sword stories (mostly because he doesn't understand enough of his elven history).  Of course the sword would have to work in the end in some way to end the book, but maybe not in the way it is to work.

I did wonder however like you Nadine, if the sword could be used by someone such as Menion if he believes enough in himself being able to yeild it.

I have also been wondering why Shea is not getting sword lessons from Balinor or Menion in the travels.  If he knows he is going to have to use a sword why not learn how to?  Or does he already know how to use a sword, he and Flick only have hunting knives?

I think we have a ways to go before Shea truly believes in himself.  Shea, unlike the others even Flick, has not fully earned his right to be here with the them on this quest (pg185). He is a little more scared and uncertain about the whole quest, and what he'll be able to do when the time comes. He seems to look up to everyone around him and has yet to make a choice on his own. So, I think in the story to come there will be something great he'll have to over come that may make him believe in himself a little more and make him feel like a proud member of this group, but if there isn't, and in the end he doesn't believe in himself then I don't believe the sword will wield to his command.  

It may also be a possibility that someone else, like Menion, who believes in themselves with great force might be able to take up the sword.

Inspired Scribe
carmen22

[ Edited ]

Hendel is a pretty trust worthy Dwarf it seems, though he may be a bit of a grump. It was touching when Menion sees the old Dwarf, after his run in with the Gnomes, and Menion comes running out to give the old grump a huge hug. I just knew we hadn't seen the last of old Hendel he's just much to smart to get himself caught by those crazy Gnomes. Hendel must really believe in this quest, because he has sacrificed his life a few times in order to see that Shea reach his destination safely. I must say that I'm falling in love with this old grumpy Dwarf what a great character he has made so far. One of my favorite parts that really shows the true character of the Dwarf is:

Pg191

Hendel felt a certain respect for the Prince of Leah. In time he would be unsurpassed by any woodsman. But the Dwarf knew as well that the highlander was brash and still inexperienced, and that in these lands only the cautious and the seasoned survived. Nevertheless, practice was the only way to learn, so the Dwarf grudgingly allowed the young tracker to lead the party, contenting himself with double-checking everything that appeared on the path before him. 

------------------------------

So, I guess you guessed and I'm officially finished through chapter 14 and will be moving  on to chapter 20!

Message Edited by carmen22 on 07-29-2009 10:26 AM
Bibliophile
Melhay

carmen22 wrote:

Hendel is a pretty trust worthy Dwarf it seems, though he may be a bit of a grump. It was touching when Menion sees the old Dwarf, after his run in with the Gnomes, and Menion comes running out to give the old grump a huge hug. I just knew we hadn't seen the last of old Hendel he's just much to smart to get himself caught by those crazy Gnomes. Hendel must really believe in this quest, because he has sacrificed his life a few times in order to see that Shea reach his destination safely. I must say that I'm falling in love with this old grumpy Dwarf what a great character he has made so far. One of my favorite parts that really shows the true character of the Dwarf is:

Pg191

Hendel felt a certain respect for the Prince of Leah. In time he would be unsurpassed by any woodsman. But the Dwarf knew as well that the highlander was brash and still inexperienced, and that in these lands only the cautious and the seasoned survived. Nevertheless, practice was the only way to learn, so the Dwarf grudgingly allowed the young tracker to lead the party, contenting himself with double-checking everything that appeared on the path before him. 

------------------------------

So, I guess you guessed and I'm officially finished through chapter 14 and will be moving  on to chapter 20!

Message Edited by carmen22 on 07-29-2009 10:26 AM

I will tell you, this Hendel is amazing.  I was thinking after reading page 266 and 269, when he gets particuly under the rocks in the Tomb of Kings and still comes out of it wall with bruises and scraps, that this man is like a cat and has nine lives.

Hendel has risked his life a few times for the journey and keeps on going.  (Maybe the Energizer Bunny - Takes a liken and keeps on tiken.)

Hendel does have some great dedication to the people in the group and to the whole idea behind it.  This may be part in why Allanon picked him to go on the journey instead of one of the others.  He seems to have bonded well with Menion, even if he wouldn't admit it to anyone else.  He seems to want to teach Menion of the trails and tracking.  Hendel may be a grump but deep down he is very loving, otherwise why would he do what he has done for Menion and the rest of the group along with for his people and other races involved.  He does seem very wise in his ways of the world, and very experienced in handling difficult situations. 

I do really like Hendel, and I really like him with Menion as his teacher.

Bibliophile
Melhay

Menion seems to be the center of a lot of happenings and view points thus far in the book, eventhough Shea is the "main" character - or well thought to be.  Shea seems to be having a lot of bad luck in his happenings so far.  Menion is growing to learn when to stand for what he believes and when to stop and listen.  Menion has helped to gently push Shea to the corect decisions.

but back on track to Menion... He is the one that has a lot of center stage time.

He is the one to:

Save Shea & Flick a few times

Help Shea (who was unknowing) to go on with the journey

To learn from Hendel in tracking & trails

To ask about the treasure in the Tomb of the Kings - then to think enough to use the poison (at my point in the book & my count I think he may still have one left.)

To stand up to the all powerful Allanon for his friend

Menion has become a very important character (to me) in the book thus far & I think he is my favorite character so far.

Even though he does have a temper (which seems to be from him caring) he seems light in his personality - not so dead serious all the time.  He is also very capable with a sword and bow, turning into quite the woodsman.

But he is ingenious in some of his thoughts - Like the poison on the arrows and even with shotting the arrow at the gnomes at the pass.  He is a quick thinker, which seems to turn out good so far.  I wonder if this quick thinking might get him in trouble.  This with his temper combined could get him in trouble, which almost happened with Allanon.

He still has a lot of growing to do but he seems to be off to a wonderful start.  I wonder some if it is too wonderful of a start, will he fall at some point?