Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Anthrogrl
0 Kudos

Re: Adults reading kids fantasy books

Hi Penelope; I just finished reading Inkheart, and I loved it!  I really counldn't put it down, and I'm looking forward to reading the other two novels in the trilogy before the movie is released in January 2009.

I haven't read Blood and Chocolate yet, but I probably won't since I'm not into the vampire/werewolf genre.

I hope you enjoy the book!

-Anthrogrl

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

I am glad to hear there are other adults that enjoy these books.  I have been reading the Eragon books also. 

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Frequent Contributor
WaterLily
0 Kudos

I really enjoyed Blood and Chocolate.  Just do not compare it to the movie because the only thing that is really similar is maybe the character names and that there are werewolves in the story.  But other than its pretty much about a teen growing up and trying to i guess "figure" out where she fits in the greater scheme.  But yeah...  I was just curious because of the thread it may fit in a little sorry if i go off topic.  I noticed that many authors who have strictly adult series are writing young adult novels.  For example Rachel Caine she has the Weather Warden Series and now she has a young adult series out i think the first one is glass house.  And I know that Kelley Armstrong just came out with The Summoning which is young adult.  So do you think that with the great books that have come out recently in the teen section is spurring on the authors to humor the idea of writing young adult or just writing in the genre for fun?
"In the end family is all that we have"
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Maybe both.  I do think now-a-days young adults are "older" with what they are reading, seeing, and doing.  When I was younger we didn't have as many young adult books that were as interesting.  That I remember.. though I wasn't into reading as much then.  Maybe if there were more books on what I was interested in, I would have read them.  But what is coming out is very eye catching in interesting.  And they are not over the top as some adult books are on a few things.

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Frequent Contributor
Jilseponie
0 Kudos

When I do my bookstore walkthrough, I always make sure to hit the Teen and Young Reader sections for my 'to read' list.  A lot of those books could be handed to an adult & they wouldn't know the difference unless you told them because the writing is soooo good.  It always cracks me up when someone comes up the customer service desk in the bookstore, asks for a book and I lead them back to Teens or Kids.  They're like, "It's a kid's book?!"

Some of my favs are The Ranger's Apprentice series, Harry Potter, the Twilight series, Peter & the Starcatchers, The Quantum Prophecy series, the Pit Dragon trilogy, the Hunger Games, .......oh, I could go on & on! :smileyhappy:

" 'Get to know yourself' - what good is that? What if you get to know yourself and find out you're a total harpy?" - the Warrior Babe of the Outland from 'The Stupidest Angel'
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

Jilseponie wrote:

When I do my bookstore walkthrough, I always make sure to hit the Teen and Young Reader sections for my 'to read' list.  A lot of those books could be handed to an adult & they wouldn't know the difference unless you told them because the writing is soooo good.  It always cracks me up when someone comes up the customer service desk in the bookstore, asks for a book and I lead them back to Teens or Kids.  They're like, "It's a kid's book?!"

Some of my favs are The Ranger's Apprentice series, Harry Potter, the Twilight series, Peter & the Starcatchers, The Quantum Prophecy series, the Pit Dragon trilogy, the Hunger Games, .......oh, I could go on & on! :smileyhappy:

Jilseponie:

That's where my ingrained prejudice begins to affect me. If I'm online and researching new releases, I have no qualms about checking out YA titles but if I'm actually in a bookstore, I never go to the YA section. Weird, huh? I think once my kids get to be old enough to read, that "block" will be nonexistent but for now it definitely affects me. I think there are alot of adult SF and fantasy readers who just don't browse YA – there's definitely a prejudice there but, like Jilseponie mentioned, series like Harry Potter and Twilight are really changing people's perspectives on YA fiction.

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Frequent Contributor
luciadelabyss
0 Kudos

The Ranger's Apprentice Series is great! Think of Strider from Fellowship OTR taking an apprentice to live with him! My library has a waiting list for these books. My childhood favorites are Madeline L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time, and Robert Heinlein's "Have Space Suit, Will Travel". Heinlein wrote some really great YA books.
Actually, the last book I read was from the YA section, "Prom NIghts From Hell". My son was looking at anime section, and the author's names caught my eye. I don't usually like romance, but Charlaine Harris and Stephenie Meyer were two of the featured authors so I couldn't resist. :smileyhappy: Of course I have read all the Twilight series and seen the movie...twice. ;P
Distinguished Wordsmith
PenelopeTX
0 Kudos

Ah, Madeleine L'Engle, joy of my heart. Every time I am stuck in heavy traffic I wish for a tesseract!
PenelopeTX
Do NOT invoke my inner Mama Bear! (Credited to me)
Frequent Contributor
luciadelabyss
0 Kudos

Oh yeah, that would be fine! I don't have a car, and I have a mile to walk to work. A tesseract would come in real handy during an Illlinois ice storm! 8)

Kristine
New User
Shalafi
0 Kudos

I'm 22 and I still find myself reading YA fantasy novels. The Lost Years of Merlin series and The Great Tree of Avalon series both by T.A. Barron are really good.
paulgoatallen
0 Kudos

luciadelabyss wrote:
Oh yeah, that would be fine! I don't have a car, and I have a mile to walk to work. A tesseract would come in real handy during an Illlinois ice storm! 8)

Kristine

How cool is the word "tesseract"? I love it! Here's a challenge – try to throw tesseract into a normal, everyday conversation with someone... Bet you can't do it without someone going, Huh?"

Paul 

"There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save..." – Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
Distinguished Wordsmith
PenelopeTX
0 Kudos

It is! A wrinkle in time is a tesseract. I have a few odd friends. If I brought it into conversation  with enough of them, I bet I could find someone I know who would take it in stride. Sorta just keep going with it. I might even win points!
PenelopeTX
Contributor
JamieGurl
0 Kudos

I've been reading Redwall books since junior high . . . I don't "read" them anymore . . . because I get the voice production with Brian Jaques narrating and full cast proformance. I love them. Tamora Pierce, Philip Pullman, Patricia Wrede . . . all authors whom I found during junior high, but bought thier books as an adult because I just LOVE them.

I look at my personal library this way: I I'll read it more than once . . . it's worth buying. If I'm not sure about an author or book, I check it out from the library; if I like it, I'll be the series. (Everything's a series now.) Same goes for YA literature. I got the Anne of Green Gables series for my tenth or eleventh birthday; it took me a month to read them all, and the last time I read them was less than three years ago.

Not to mention, some "children's books" have much deeper meaning than would be found by the age group it's intended for. I read The Golden Compass in junior high, the bought the trilogy when the movie was coming out. There are major philosophical undertones, especially in the final book.

Okay . . . I'm done. I have a habit about going on about subjects that grab my attention.

Frequent Contributor
luciadelabyss
0 Kudos

Tesseract was one of the those 'cool' words that caught my attention as a kid. "time-space continuum" is also a phrase that I used and got those weird looks. My gaming friends wouldn't miss a beat if I used tesseract in a conversation except to yell out " a wrinkle in time" or "awesome book". :smileyhappy: However, my coworkers are muggles of the highest degree and would think I just called them a name. For example, one of the woman went out of her way to give me a couple rides during the ice storm last week. I wrote in her Xmas card "thanks for the cold weather assistance"; she thanked me for being a smart ***, so I said I was sorry she couldn't read my hand writing and that it was a real thank you. This happened at the work xmas party, so she was kinda embarrassed that she yelled it out for everyone to hear. * roll of eyes*
Speaking of muggles, I haven't seen anyone mention Harry Potter as a YA series yet. I never heard of them until the theater I worked at was getting the first movie; I now have the entire series. :smileyhappy: I guess they have transended the YA tag as Twilight seems poised to do.

Kristine
Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

I didn't read Potter until I was like 40. My wife likes them too. To me that series got more adult as the kids went along. Paul mentioned "Earthsea" and it might YA now but when they came out I'm not sure there was that distinction in the genre (I admit that when I read them I was like 16....and no, they weren't carved on tablets back then). As for "Golden Compass", I know they are supposed to be YA, but I can't figure out how (other than there's kids as main characters). I thought the subject matter was too disturbing overall for kids. I mainly finished them cause I thought they had to get better. I wasn't really impressed with them. There were some kids (8 and 11 yrs old at a guess) next to us in the theater and by the end of the movie they were pressed up against their Dad cuase the movie had em spooked so bad.

Brad

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

luciadelabyss wrote:
Tesseract was one of the those 'cool' words that caught my attention as a kid. "time-space continuum" is also a phrase that I used and got those weird looks. My gaming friends wouldn't miss a beat if I used tesseract in a conversation except to yell out " a wrinkle in time" or "awesome book". :smileyhappy: However, my coworkers are muggles of the highest degree and would think I just called them a name. For example, one of the woman went out of her way to give me a couple rides during the ice storm last week. I wrote in her Xmas card "thanks for the cold weather assistance"; she thanked me for being a smart ***, so I said I was sorry she couldn't read my hand writing and that it was a real thank you. This happened at the work xmas party, so she was kinda embarrassed that she yelled it out for everyone to hear. * roll of eyes*
Speaking of muggles, I haven't seen anyone mention Harry Potter as a YA series yet. I never heard of them until the theater I worked at was getting the first movie; I now have the entire series. :smileyhappy: I guess they have transended the YA tag as Twilight seems poised to do.

Kristine

Ah I feel for you. Though I might have snarked back something about "well if you weren't such a tight *ss, then mabey you would have understood I really am grateful".

Now for a litmus test I used that gets me either hugs or "freaking weirdo" comments. Ever wish someone a happy UNbirthday?

Never really thought as HP as YA books,more childrens books that were age apropriate to the ages of the characters. (scratch head) Mabey that is what a YA book is really?

Distinguished Wordsmith
PenelopeTX
0 Kudos

Tiggerbear,

Yes I love to use that, but you typed it incorrectly. It needs to read "a very merry UNbirthday to you." And I would so hug you for knowing it, if I could. 

Ok; I'm not supposed to be online! I have to pack! Stop being so interesting.

And 8149, sorry I have no time to answer your post directly -- hope you read this -- Pflugerville TX

PenelopeTX
Distinguished Correspondent
Bradinator1
0 Kudos

PenelopeTX wrote:

And 8149, sorry I have no time to answer your post directly -- hope you read this -- Pflugerville TX

Pflugerville, TX?! Is that a real place, cuase it sounds like a name from a Dr Suess book.

Sorry, P. couldn't resist

Brad

"Stand back everyone, nothing here to see
Just imminent danger, in the middle of it, me
Yes, Captain Hammers here, hair blowing in the breeze
And the day needs my saving expertise" - Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion) from "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Distinguished Wordsmith
PenelopeTX
0 Kudos

Its real alright. And just like a Dr. Seuss landscape, there are plenty of charming oddities in Texas; y'all should come on by!
PenelopeTX
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

PenelopeTX wrote:

Tiggerbear,

Yes I love to use that, but you typed it incorrectly. It needs to read "a very merry UNbirthday to you." And I would so hug you for knowing it, if I could. 

Ok; I'm not supposed to be online! I have to pack! Stop being so interesting.

(chuckle) For one thing that made it from the books to even the Disney movie it's always so surprising how few people know it.

For the book that had me looking for what Trekle is, a very merry happy UNbirthday to you.